PDA

View Full Version : Let me toss this out for discussion

paintinpat
05-26-2001, 10:51 PM
I have been seriously thinking about doing some painting to be submitted to the decorative art publishers. I am a book -a-holic myself and have often bought one just because I liked one item in that book, or perhaps I thought I would paint it at a later date. Having come from a retail craft background I also used the books for patterns. Now what I sell is all original designs by me. I have proven I can design to sell by the past & present money made from the business we are running & the wholesale shows. I really want to continue to paint for the print publisher, but I only licensed to him, no copyrights, so actually I could do some books on work that is already out there and selling... I am looking for a way to stay home more so I guess that is the reason I am looking to this avenue to help make funds. What do you all think, do you know any artists that does books for other tole or decorative painters? I would like to have opinions on this subject if possible.
Thanks http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Pat

leesmith
05-27-2001, 09:15 PM
Hi Pat!

No, I don't know anybody that has published a book on decorative art, I do know a young man who published an outstanding book on computer software, I don't recall the name but he chose areas that had been neglected in the publishing market; kid is only 26 years old and owns a computer company! He wrote about something he was thoroughly knowledgeable about. Go for it Pat, you have knowledge and expertise. Just do your homework re: the publishing end. Research every aspect first. Make your plan, then work your plan. Think of all the related things you will need, get the list going, costs etc. And I would try and find an attorney who is maybe knowledgeable in the publishing field and some direct contact with this type of publishers to learn as much as you can about contracts, standard royalties, how the book will be marketed. Check out the books currently out in the crafts stores and see if you can find a neglected niche or offer something unique. What an exciting idea!

paintinpat
05-27-2001, 09:30 PM
Hi Leesmith, Good to hear from you.. I have done some researh on this subject and know there are two ways to go about this. Number one is I can self publish thru a company, or I can go with a company that publishes and pays royalities. I have also been in contact with 2 ladies that have books out and are doing more as we speak. One, self publishs and the other goes for just royalities. I do have some methods and styles that are being neglected in the current market. I could have kicked myself in the butt several years ago for not doing a book on painted jars, after seeing several books on the market after I had developed the technique to a "T" and was selling them by the case. I just don't want to have regrets when I am unable to no longer go after a dream due to health or age...I want to live life to the fullest and go down as many streets as I wish..
Pat