PDA

View Full Version : second Spring WIP

Kitty Wallis
03-09-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm not real happy with this, I think I missed the experience by a little. Here is the photo of the site, the underpainting and the finished piece.

18x24

Piper Ballou
03-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Kitty- I really like it. Did you use watercolors for the underpainting. That is something I have not tried yet, guess I need to get brave,.
I really love the colors. Fresh looking
Piper

Kitty Wallis
03-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks for commenting, Piper. Now that you've said that it looks a little better to me. :)

Kathryn Day
03-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi Kitty, I like this one, but it doesn't grab me like the first one. I am afraid I can't put it into words why. I opened them both up on the same screen and the only thing that I see is the second one is a more close up view and the first has more distance, more space? I always feel a little intimidated saying what I see, since I am just learning to really see in an artistic way.

Kitty Wallis
03-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks Katy, I see what you mean. I think the second one doesn't have as dynamic a compostition.

Piper, I see I didn't answer your question. I used Createx Pure Pigemtn, a pigment dispersion with no paint body.

haridasa67
03-09-2005, 04:17 PM
I think you've done very well with the composition Kitty. Though I would've put a little more warmth in the painting to balance out, because if you see the photo the top area has a lot of light pinkish sort of warm colours representing the leaves and they get balanced with the greens and blues below them. This is my opinion and I'm just a novice in art but thought to add my 5 cents worth.
Anoop

Khadres
03-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Kitty, this is luscious! Love the colors of the blossoms and the water surface especially. I like it a LOT better than I thought I would just looking at the photo you took of the location. Overall, I'd be hard pressed to pick between the two paintings and if I had the space (not to mention the money!) I'd probably have to buy both as companion pieces!

You may not like the enclosed sort of feeling of this one...sort of like being enclosed by the branches and looking out from under them. I kinda like it! I can almost smell the perfume of the blossoms!

Deborah Secor
03-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Kitty, I question the value of the sky... It seems to overwhelm the trees. I love the reflections!

I'm teaching a class at the end of March on how to paint flowering trees, so I thought I'd ask if I can use this photo, or if you have any others to share... :D We'll definitely have some to choose from around here by then, but those reflections are just gorgeous.

Deborah

Kitty Wallis
03-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Kitty, I question the value of the sky... It seems to overwhelm the trees. I love the reflections!

I'm teaching a class at the end of March on how to paint flowering trees, so I thought I'd ask if I can use this photo, or if you have any others to share... :D We'll definitely have some to choose from around here by then, but those reflections are just gorgeous.

Deborah

Yes, of course you may use it in your class. The other one, Spring in Oregon, offers a different feel and technique for flowering trees.

Thanks for your comments, I'll look at the sky value in RL.

jackiesimmonds
03-10-2005, 04:25 AM
Kitty ..........I reckon it's the fir tree. Hit me immediately. It's what catches the eye first, and I feel it is only there because it was there, if you know what I mean.

I would get rid of it, or put some more filigree pale foliage over it to send it right back. Then, I think you will feel quite differently about the picture. That dark shape is quite a punctuation mark.

~Gee whizz, what a place to go paint. I was jealous before. Now I am absolutely :envy:

J

Kitty Wallis
03-10-2005, 06:31 AM
:clap: Thanks Jackie! I think you got it.

It is beautiful at that place isn't it?

meowmeow
03-10-2005, 09:38 AM
I love the water and the reflections...the trees on the left are super...I didn't realize it till Jackie pointed it out but yes, the tree there at the top of the right did jump out at me riight away.
The other one did have more depth but this also says "Spring" and the feeling is fresh and warm.
THanks for posting the view and the underpainting too...it alwasy helps to be able to see that.

Sandy

Mikki Petersen
03-10-2005, 01:14 PM
My gosh, you are good at painting water! This is a beautiful scene. In this painting and the last painting, I don't see enough contrast to give the drama your paintings usually have. I held up my red film to my monitor and the value range is good. It just looks sort of posterish to my eye. Maybe it's that all the colors are cool in tone? Even the pink seems to have a tinge of blue. Having said all that, it is a lovely piece, well executed, just lacking the punch you usually provide.

Mikki

Mikki Petersen
03-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Then again...it could be my monitor. :(

Mikki

Charles Perera
03-10-2005, 02:07 PM
I liked this as well. A softer green and high-lighting the purplish branch in white to reduce the purple may help, I presume. Just a suggestion. But the painting has been done well.

Charles