PDA

View Full Version : March Afternoon Light

Marc Hanson
03-08-2005, 04:20 PM
A small studio piece from a pastel field study of a couple of years ago. The oil is not the same setting, it's from another similar area. But the sky is from the study.

Study 'March Afternoon Light', pastel, 8x10
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2005/37743-WC-March-Afternoon-Light-pa.jpg

'March Afternoon Light', oil, 12x16 on canvas.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2005/37743-WC-March-Afternoon-Light-12.jpg

Detail
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2005/37743-MAL-detail-1.jpg

mnpainter
03-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Marc,

This is beautiful. I love the color of the tree line. Seems very very right this time of year. Where may I ask is this setting? It reminds me of the backwaters along the highway to riecks lake where I hunted while in school. I like the way you treated the tree line with the pastels. I really enjoy the oil very much.

Ben

Marc Hanson
03-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Ben,
Thanks. The pastel was done in Whitewater SP, the shoreline in the oil is from a nearby pond on the campus of RCTC here in Rochester.
I just readjusted the photo of the oil, it's still off but closer.

I never had much interest in the pastel but have always liked the sky as a study. So thought a more interesting shoreline with a little more dramatic light might help.

only1tomb
03-08-2005, 05:34 PM
I like this Marc!!
:clap:
you handled mingleing the two together just perfectly. I do find it interesting to see that subtle hint of green in your pastel study signifying spring! :) I get a more peacefull feeling from the pastel due to that i think, but that does not undermine the larger oil...

Very nice!

Tom B

mnpainter
03-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Marc,

I love the sense of light in this piece. I have become an observer of the light this time of year on trees and such and the main reason I painted that one that worked the other day by the eagles nest was because of that redish - brown - orange color. I love those violets as well.

Ben

Eugene Veszely
03-09-2005, 05:35 AM
For some reason I saw March Afternoon "Delight".....and it is :)

Shelley Grund
03-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Beautiful. You amaze me the way you can make a studio piece have such a feeling of plein air! You are an excellent observer of the world around you, otherwise you work wouldn't ring so true - be it plein air or studio.

Marc Hanson
03-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Tom, Eugene, Ben and Shelley, Thanks for commenting.

Tom- I know what you mean, but I'm blaming your sense of green on the photography. It was mid March and the water was still ice, the dark at the bottom of the pastel was frozen swamp muck and not even the buds on the trees were showing yet. The photo of the pastel is not as dark and warm as it should be, and the photo of the oil is too warm and darker than it should be. I couldn't get the differences in temperature and value between the sky and the warm land to balance right in either one photgraphically.
But, I always agree that the field studies have more immediate energy and integrity, a hard thing to capture back inside.

Eugene- It was a delight to be out there. I remember that we were having incredibly warm spring temps that year.

Shelley- Thanks. I, like half the planet, have been fighting a bug again and I forced myself to do this yesterday without too much enthusiasm so 'any' result was going to have to be OK. I'm glad you like it.

JamieWG
03-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Marc, you're sure making better use of your sick time than I am. This is a beauty. I can see why you liked that sky in the pastel, and you've certainly put it to good use with the new, dramatic tree line and warm colors.

Jamie

JanB
03-09-2005, 04:11 PM
You've created a very appealing center of interest by bathing that large tree in warm light, and playing it off the purples and maroons around it... just beautiful. Hope you're feeling better soon :)

Moosehead
03-09-2005, 08:59 PM
The only parts I like are the sky, the land, the trees and the water :D .

Really harmonious-love the violets in the shadows and water!

LarrySeiler
03-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Lovely piece...and seeing this piece makes me feel so privileged for us to be doing what we do. To travel about, see what we do, use the outdoors for our office space...even if indoors, taking what we observe back with us.

wonderful...

consistently good...and we know, "excellence is not an accident!"

you're a good steward of your time and talents...an observant eye, a skilled interpreter. A tasteful aesthetician...and generous sharing soul whose sharing does not go unappreciated.

:clap:

Larry

mnpainter
03-11-2005, 09:23 AM
I agree with Larry!!!!! Only he is ten times better with words then I. :D

Ben

Spectra7
05-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Hi Marc,

I have to say the oil version is a far superior composition. I really like the sensitive use of light and the soft touch. Very nice indeed!

Gene

judithdagostino
06-01-2005, 10:15 PM
These are just wonderful. Just enough detail but not too much. Shows a strong painting agility. Your clouds are wonderful.