PDA

View Full Version : lots of proofs

printzessofthenorth
03-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Well here they are, a day early at that, the results of my productivity goal: proofs, lots of proofs. :clap:
1) 'Through Heaven's Door' white mulberry & Daniel Smith black water soluble relief ink.
2) 'Utensil Study I' white mulberry & ds blackwater soluble relief ink
3) 'Untitled 2' 2 designates the 2nd state. This probably will have a title by the time I'm done. Sort of an orangy melon mulberry & ds black water soluble relief ink
4) 'Untitled 1' 1designates the 1st state and you should know that this is a rubbing not a true print, hense the reversal of the image. Black water soluble crayon on mulberry.
5) 'Artifact I' 2 ctp versions laid side by side. ds black water soluble relief ink on yellow and lavendar mulberry respectively.

The untitled piece...the child in the hat...in the original drawing had more expression. I plan two more versions to play with the effect of different style of carving on each. This style feels to chaotic for me...some serat like cuts , some lines, no consistency. I want to do one completely serat like and another entirely done in crosshatching. Maybe a third in a sort of 'van gogh' style. We'll see what I have time for.

dryder

Printmakerguy
03-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Wow. You have been busy. It's about time :)

I like all the prints a lot, especially the last three. I tried to pick a favorite, but I can't... They are just too nice.

Makes me wish I had more time to print this week!!

-Andrew

printzessofthenorth
03-08-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks Andrew. :) Tonight I editioned the utensil print. Finally settled on hosho for the paper. Same ink though. It's a small print. The paper size is 5 1/4"w x 5 1/2" h. I haven't actually measured the image yet. Have you ever pulled prints from an old lino block? Cut this one either late '03 or early '04. This is the first I've printed it. The block seemed rather brittle. I was wondering if the texture of the block might be the reason the ink gunked up quickly. Had to wash this block about 6 times during the printing. Tomorrow I will review the prints to see how many make the edition and whether I need to print any more for ones that will get destroyed because they are inferior. I think I'm going to try to print at least one more edition tomorrow, if I'm fast maybe two.

dryder

janemoth
03-08-2005, 11:29 PM
I like the third one down a lot! And the utensil one too. I don't find the style chaotic, because you handle each substance differently, hair, flesh, fabric, with your different means of cutting it looks intentional. In Leonard Baskin's prints there are lots of patterns and types of cuts that make them fun to look at for a sustained amount of time.

Printmakerguy
03-09-2005, 08:25 AM
Have you ever pulled prints from an old lino block? Cut this one either late '03 or early '04. This is the first I've printed it. The block seemed rather brittle. I was wondering if the texture of the block might be the reason the ink gunked up quickly.

I ahve had this problem with old Lino before, although I can't go back THAT far- I havent been pritning that long...

I suspect that the older linoleum, which has dried, absorbs water or oil from the ink, making it gum up a bit. Of course, I am no scientist, so this might not be correct, BUT from observation, it appears to be what is going on.

-Andrew

Diane Cutter
03-09-2005, 08:31 PM
These are very nice... It's good to see your work again...

I've been having problems lately with 'orange peel' ... is that what you are talking about?

Diane

printzessofthenorth
03-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Janemoth,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'll have to check out Baskin. I'm glad that the different treatments appear intentional but they weren't. I just sort of get lost in the cutting and well things change. Later I think should have done this part this way...etc. [sigh] I still don't think lino. I think more intaglio. Just need more practice/training of the brain to think backwards.

Andrew, thanks for thinking with me about this. I do think that is what is happening. D**N ink just dries out way too fast. Since this post I've started using ds transparent medium and a plant mister to keep the ink usable longer. That is working ok for now.

Diane,

No. Don't think I'm talking about orange peel...that's when the ink doesn't adhere to the plate and leaves a sort of mottled appearance onthe print like an orange peel, right? My problem is just that the ink is drying on the palette to quickly to get more than one print before I have to add more ink. Can't even roll it out well. If I ink the plate more than twice without adding a light misting of water the plate begins to get 'gunky' for lack of a better term. All the little lines get filled up with ink and the ink on the plate actually looks gooey. Much of the detail is lost in the printing. As I mentioned above to Andrew, I think I have this problem solved for now, by adding ds water soluble transparent medium to my water soluble inks and using a light mist of water over the field of ink on the palette every two or three rolls. This seems to extend the wet time of the ink indefinitely and saves me money in the long run.

I thought that the drying ink problem was a 'speedball' problem, but I'm using daniel smith inks and am still having the problem. I'm thinking it has to do with the age of the block. Don't seem to have as much a problem when I use a relatively young block, only the older ones.

debbie

Diane Cutter
03-09-2005, 09:30 PM
You might want to call Daniel Smith for some technical input. They have a great staff and pride themselves on their printmaking materials. (In fact, I think the company started out first making printing inks.)

I've called them on occasion for help...

Diane

printzessofthenorth
03-10-2005, 08:56 AM
You might want to call Daniel Smith for some technical input. They have a great staff and pride themselves on their printmaking materials. (In fact, I think the company started out first making printing inks.)

I've called them on occasion for help...

Diane

Thanks Diane. I might just do that. It would be nice to enjoy the printing part as much as I enjoy cutting the lino plates. :)

debbieryder

zardoz
03-10-2005, 08:36 PM
so good ,it never ceases to amaze me at all the talent in this forum .I am constantly humbled .

very nice work. I think I like the first most

printzessofthenorth
03-11-2005, 10:28 PM
so good ,it never ceases to amaze me at all the talent in this forum .I am constantly humbled .

very nice work. I think I like the first most

Z, I am humbled by your most kind words. Thank you. I like the first one a lot too. :D It is on a very delicate lacey white mulberry, which is hard to 'read' on the uploaded picture. But I think that really makes it quite lovely in person. My only problem with this piece is how to write on the mulberry. I've tried to use the darkest, sharpest pencil I have, but the writing looks horribly uneven and it never comes out very dark, because of the texture of the paper - its 'bumpy' nature. Also writing in a straight line under the curved arch looks a little cloogy. I tried chinecolle thinking I could print on the lacy paper and write on say a BFK, but that is very difficult to tear multiple pieces in this shape. Well, just another creative solution crying out to be born.

debbieryder

sassybird
03-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Wow, you have been busy. I like the 1st one especially. It reminds me of lace. The last three are really cool too, shoot , they are all good:D

printzessofthenorth
03-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Wow, you have been busy. I like the 1st one especially. It reminds me of lace. The last three are really cool too, shoot , they are all good:D

:o :D :o Thank you sassy. The first one is a piece of lace. When I looked at it up close it sort of looke like a stone bridge with people dancing across the bridges and trees behind the people. Than move back from it and it starts to look a bit like a halo. Hence the title "Through Heaven's Door" But the piece came from a paper doiley that looked like lace. I traced through the openings onto my block and cut out around the black tracings. The result looked like lace! It is my favorite too. :D Looks especially delicate on the translucent white mulberry paper. The only trouble is how to sign it, because pencil doesn't show up too well on the mulberry and the irregular shape of the piece makes any writing below it detract from the image. I'm still trying to figure out how to sign it.

debbie