PDA

View Full Version : Polyester Litho stuff in San Francisco??

Joost
03-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Hi all,

Right now I am on business trip in San Francisco. If possible, I'd like to take some polyester litho plates (e.g. Pronto) and auxilary materials (e.g. deletion fluids with me). At home (Netherlands) I have only a limited choice.

Since most of you are US-based: any suggestion where in San Francisco they could have this in stock?

Thanx

Joost

H2O_Baby
03-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Hi all,

Right now I am on business trip in San Francisco. If possible, I'd like to take some polyester litho plates (e.g. Pronto) and auxilary materials (e.g. deletion fluids with me). At home (Netherlands) I have only a limited choice.

Since most of you are US-based: any suggestion where in San Francisco they could have this in stock?

Thanx

Joost

Joost, I did a web search but didn't turn up anything. I am on the other coast - East - and our large art stores are Utrecht, Pearl, Dick Blick... You could just try looking in the yellow pages for large art stores and phoning to see if they have anything.

Good luck

Joost
03-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Hi,

Thanks for thinking along.

I had also done a web search with no result. Pearl happens to have a large store close to my hotel and checked them today. But: without result ("never heard of the stuff"). From earlier threads I recall that Dick Blick doesn't carry it, but I will check. As well as Utrecht (apart from being a major city in the Netherlands) a name that is new to me.

Thanks again,

Joost

printzessofthenorth
03-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Joost is there a daniel smith out there? they might have what you're looking for.

dryder

Diane Cutter
03-09-2005, 08:27 PM
I got my pronto plates from Media Street, Inc. (Deer Park, New York). I don't have a telephone number on my invoice, but you might want to search out their website and find out where (in the Bay Area) they sell their product:
http://mediastreet.com/cgi-bin/tame/mediastreet/pronto_plates.tam?anchor=#top

Diane

H2O_Baby
03-09-2005, 09:07 PM
I got my pronto plates from Media Street, Inc. (Deer Park, New York). I don't have a telephone number on my invoice, but you might want to search out their website and find out where (in the Bay Area) they sell their product:
http://mediastreet.com/cgi-bin/tame/mediastreet/pronto_plates.tam?anchor=#top

Diane

Joost, if you pay a little more perhaps you can get them to send the plates overnight from NY. This depends on where yu are staying of course.

rshields
03-12-2005, 03:58 AM
Joost,

I live in the Bay area; I'm kind of new to printmaking but have been making art for a few years... you already found Pearl, Utrecht is on University in Berkeley (take BART/Bay Area Rapid Transit from Market St to Downtown Berkeley), there's a store called Amsterdam Art west of Utrecht on University, there's the Art Store (tm) on Van Ness, about a 20 minute walk up the hill from Market and Van Ness, and there are a bunch of other places scattered around town.

If it were a weekday I could ask someone in the printmaking guild at San Francisco State University; I'm taking my first printmaking class this semester and loving it. They may even sell them in the little "store" they've set up in one of the studio rooms. Let me know if you will be in town Mar 14-19; if so, I'll ask around Monday evening and post here again.

That Pearl is very not helpful; took them an hour to get me a price on a hand press. They would have rather not sold it than find a price for me. If you go there, the store has 3 floors but most everything for printing is on the main floor (except paper; 3rd floor).

Good luck,
Richard

p.s. you here for Flashforward?

Diane Cutter
03-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Hello, Richard... and welcome to the Printmaking Forum and WC... This is a great place for information (just like that which you gave). I hope we see/hear more from you, your trials and travails in your printmaking ventures...

Feel free to start a new thread when you have a new topic or work to share... again, we're glad you're here...

Diane

Joost
03-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for all your great help. Unfortunately it did not help me. In the time given I could not find a place with the stuff on stock. Next time I'm in the states I should probably better prepare it in advance :(

Thanks nevertheless :clap:

Joost

Joost
03-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Joost,

p.s. you here for Flashforward?

Hi Richard,

Actually no: I was (past tense since I 'm back home now) at the Game Developers Conference (Moscone Centre)

Joost

bigblackbox
03-22-2005, 10:12 PM
If it makes you feel any better...

your best bet was Pearl, and you tried there. The other places in town (Art Store, Utretch, Flax) don't carry as much printmaking stuff. Not that Pearl carries a lot. I had to mail order lithography ink because I couldn't find a store in SF that carried it.

Joost
03-25-2005, 02:11 AM
If it makes you feel any better...

Indeed a bit. Apparently the stuff is as hard to get as in the Netherlands. The difference remains that the Pronto plates are 1) quite a bit cheaper and 2) come in more (and larger) sizes than the Z*acryl plates that I can get here.

Next time I'll go to the US, I'll have it mail ordered to my hotel in time...

Howard Metzenberg
03-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Joost,

Try contacting this organization while you are in San Francisco. It is a printmaking cooperative, in which members share equipment and expertise.

The Graphic Arts Workshop
2565 3rd St. #305
San Francisco, CA 94107
415-285-5660
Graphic Arts Workshop Contact Page (http://gaw.zpub.com/contact.php)

You'll find more information, including more phone numbers and a map, accessible from their contacts page. They are located about 2 miles south of downtown in an old industrial building, which you can get to by bus. The Muni Metro line to that area is still under construction. I have been to their studio during San Francisco's "open studios" weekends, which usually occur during October.

Dick Blick owns The Art Store, acquired last July, and is in the process of integrating the store into the company. I don't think we have what you are looking for unfortunately. Since the store is not yet fully integrated, I am not able to check their inventory as easily and see what they have. Give them a call at (415) 441-6075. In San Francisco, the Art Store is located at Bush and Van Ness, which you can even get to by cable car! There are also two branches in the East Bay, in Berkeley and Oakland.

Please write me with more information about this product, and I will see if we can start carrying it online. (It is unlikely that even our larger stores could carry this product, because printmaking products are very bulky and we have limited retail space. Also, the printmaking field is very specialized and the market for such materials is quite small.)

Howard Metzenberg
Dick Blick Art Materials
Highland Park, IL

Joost
03-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Hi Howard,

Thanks for the pointer to the Graphic Art Workshop. However, unfortunately my next visit to the US will most likely be to LA (in May).

Printmakerguy summarized two weeks ago some links on the polyester litho plates:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256349&highlight=polyester+litho

Joost

Diane Cutter
03-29-2005, 06:10 AM
Thanks, Howard, for sticking your head here in our forum. Dick Blick has always been a great source of art supplies for me, especially all my years living overseas, restricted to an APO. I have two of your presses. I always thought I'd graduate up to a more sophisticated press, but my MasterEtch and 906 work just fine and have for years...

A funny Dick Blick story for you... In my previous marriage, my husband was always annoyed at my spending with your company ... After the divorce he says "If I never hear that man's name again, I'll die happy." Quite surprised, I said, "What man?" His reply, "Dick Blick!!!"

Have a great day... and welcome to the Printmaking forum..

Diane

Sunfilly
03-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Hi Howard,

Thanks for the pointer to the Graphic Art Workshop. However, unfortunately my next visit to the US will most likely be to LA (in May).

Printmakerguy summarized two weeks ago some links on the polyester litho plates:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256349&highlight=polyester+litho

Joost

hey Joost I live in LA, I will do some research and see if I can find a store around here that carries it. Will let you know.

Joost
03-29-2005, 03:29 PM
hey Joost I live in LA, I will do some research and see if I can find a store around here that carries it. Will let you know.

That would be great!!