PDA

View Full Version : Les Merveilles de Paris (Wonders of Paris)

LisaArt
03-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Hi Everyone, :wave: Started a new WIP. Acrylic painting 30 x 40 cm.
A fantasy painting from my imagination reflecting all the famous landmarks in Paris.
Thought I would share my work in progress. If you have any ideas or comments about anything, please do let me know. Thanks

Here is my really rough sketch (Just putting my ideas on the paper here)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2005/40382-ParisSketch.jpg

Now my drawing on the canvas. A little messy...But I can figure out what is going on in my strange little way... ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2005/40382-WCParis.jpg

LisaArt
03-08-2005, 07:58 AM
Started doing some painting this morning.
Wasnt sure of the purple background…Had to put so many coats and it was drying so fast :confused:
I Wanted something different from my regular old Blue sky…I think the purple will accentuate the blue/grey buildings and red silo. The Eiffel tower will be outlined in very dark purple. I might add some variances of white and darker bits of purple in the sky when I see it finished.
The Notre dame cathedral is pretty much finished.
Off to do more work...Bye for now :wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2005/40382-Paris1.jpg

Mikey
03-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Now it's looking neat. I'm looking forward to it.

Mikey

LisaArt
03-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Hi Mikey! Thanks so much for dropping by and your kind words...I am taking a little break now...:)

Esmeralinda
03-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Bonjour Lisa, I do not always think of visiting WIP.
But I saw your name and title up on the OCF and just couldn't resist.
This will look "merveilleux". Will be nice to see the progress.

Linda :wave:

laketrees
03-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Hi Lisa......you have been busy!!!.....the composition is excellent....and I love the purple....and the detail is wonderful....have a happy day!!
cheers kim

BryAli
03-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Hi Lisa :wave: ,

I saw your sketch over in the Acrylics forum and I must say that this is going to be a beautiful painting. Your color choices look and sound wonderful. Keep going and be sure to post your progress!!

LisaArt
03-09-2005, 02:26 AM
Merci Beaucoup Linda
Thanks so much for that Kim
Hi Alishia, Thanks for stopping by and looking. Appreciate that.
Hopefully I can get lots more done today. :wave:

Anita Murphy
03-09-2005, 09:00 AM
I can't wait to see what you do with this. Having seen some of your other work - especially the view of the harbour in Denmark - was it Nyhavn?
KA

LisaArt
03-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi KA, Thanks so much for your kind words and encouagement.
Yes it was Nyhavn! Geez thanks so much! :wave:

Spyderbabe
03-09-2005, 01:30 PM
This is going to be good!

LisaArt
03-10-2005, 01:20 AM
Hi Kathleen, Hey Thanks so much. I hope so ;)

LisaArt
03-10-2005, 01:37 AM
A little more work yesterday and early this morning. (I am finding I need so much paint to cover . I think I was too heavy with my pencil drawing because I am finding the paint is looking dirty when I apply it.)
I need to add a little more darks on the moulin rouge. I want it to be more outlined. Tried the darkest red (crimson) with some burnt sienna and that still is not dark enough. I am thinking of adding a little black to the colour mix. :eek:
Put down the dark outline of the eiffel tower, I am thinking I need a few lights in there. Oh and yes, the backround is appearing darker, because I realized after I did background earlier, I forgot to colour in the eiffel tower. :confused: Mixed the same colours again and blahh, I could not get it quite right. I will lighten up the background at the very end when I have a better idea of how all the buildings will look with colour.
Also need to do the refining of the bridge and arc de triumph.
I want to work on the foreground today (Louver and Glass pyramid).
Do any of you have a suggestion for the colour of Glass? What can I mix. I was thinking white and grey with hues of purple? Help please ! :confused: Or perhaps you can suggest an alternative colour. Doesnt have to look real!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2005/40382-Paris2.jpg

Anita Murphy
03-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Hi Lisa

Someone somewhere wrote about fixing the pencil with a fixative spray so it doesn't bleed into the paint. I need to try this too as I have the same problem as you with muddy paint. How about mixing burnt umber with the alizain to get a darker red?
just a couple of suggestions. Its coming on well.
KA

Esmeralinda
03-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi Lisa,

This is fun. Ummm ... dark red; what if you add burnt umber as was suggested and a touch of dark emerald green ??

For glass; here is something from a book I read:

-Add some raw sienna to darker side (close to edges). Pale cobalt blue with white for basic colour. Then add touches of colours reflected by surroundings.
This sounds a lot like what you were thinking.

Have a great creative day !

Esmeralinda
03-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Hi Lisa,

This is fun. Ummm ... dark red; what if you add burnt umber as was suggested and a touch of dark emerald green ??
Oups! I meant Viridian

For glass; here is something from a book I read:

-Add some raw sienna to darker side (close to edges). Pale cobalt blue with white for basic colour. Then add touches of colours reflected by surroundings.
This sounds a lot like what you were thinking.

Have a great creative day !

laketrees
03-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Hi Lisa.....your painting is looking great.....I use fixative over graphite and it works for me....Linda's suggestion for the glass sounds good...I've never painted glass....
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
03-11-2005, 01:39 AM
Hi KA, Thanks for the tips about the fixative. I am going get some ASAP! Thanks for the great paint colour tips. Great idea!

Allo Linda, Red combo..sounds super too. I never thought about the virdian
When it comes to colour you are my hero. I am going to give a try today.
That is a smashing idea for the glass. I am going to dabble with that.
Hoping to get lots of work done today. I have been up since 5:30 am. Yesterday I got sidetracked as I was playing with my new web cam and making crazy videos to send to my mom. She loves to laugh! I am her little comedian! LOL. Oh and Yes, I know Gobelet too. That is a stunning painting!

Hey Kim! Thanks so much! I am getting some cans of Fixative. Any particular brand you use? Cheers my dear! :wave:

laketrees
03-11-2005, 05:11 AM
Hi Lisa...I use all sorts,,,,,.... including hairspray,,,, :eek:
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
03-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Hi KIM...LOL.. Hairspray..I would never of thought of that...And I have loads of that stuff! ;)

LisaArt
03-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi Everyone, I have done lots of work today. I am quite happy with where it is going. Still need to do some more work at the Cafe Les Deux Magots building, along with chairs and tables. I also want to re-look at my glass pyramid at the Louvre. I think I need to add some more highlights in there. What do you think, A little dark eh?
I decided that making it look like "real glass" was a real pain in the A$$ :confused:
And did not really fit into the scheme of this naive fantasy type painting.
I decided to have it reflect purple/violet from sky and Eiffel tower. (Some Pathlo blue, white, and crimson red).
And I still need to outline the Moulin Rouge. It is not popping enough for my liking. And of course last touches on E.Tower and background is a bit too dark. As you can see, I still have lots to do, but those are my favourite parts.
Let me know if you please do have any suggestions, advice, etc.
Much Appreciated as always. :wave: :cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2005/40382-Paris5.jpg

LisaArt
03-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Hi Again... :wave: I am not too happy now. :crying: I really dont like my pyramid. It is just to bold...and the more I look at it I think it is too big. That is the problem I think. Even if I lighten it, I bugs me! :evil:
I am going to make it smaller, and then extend the Louvre museum longer (which I find much nicer anyhow). See picture with my notes.
What do you think if I do this. or do any of you have any good ideas that can save me more work and frustration..LOL
Thanks so much.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2005/40382-Paris5-revised.jpg

laketrees
03-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Hi there Lisa...
I think your painting's coming along beautifully!! :clap: :clap: I like the glass and the purple touches in it ...the background is a wonderful colour....I can see why you want to extend the Louvre..it is a beautiful building and it will look good...I was in Paris...when I was younger...and this painting brings back so many memories ..I think it is the most beautiful city in the world!!!
cheers kim

Spyderbabe
03-11-2005, 09:44 PM
yes Lisa - cut the pyramid - we'll still know what it is!

LisaArt
03-12-2005, 02:11 AM
Hi Kim, Thanks so much, I appreciate that. Yes! I love Paris too. I think it is also one of the most beautiful cities in the world too. Bye for now. :wave:

Hi Katheleen, Yep! I am goint to cut her this morning...Thanks for that! :wave:

LisaArt
03-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Hi Everyone! I cropped the pyramid and extended the louvre..Was easier than I thought... ;) Now I have to repaint the pyramid, as it looks so messy now and the lines are not ligning up so well. I am still going with violet, white and pathlo blue. Or if anyone has a better suggestion please do let me know. ;)
I did lots of work on the Les Deux Magots cafe, along with the little chairs and tables. I am going to just add some more darks and lights in there under the chairs and tables. It will be night time at the cafe :)
Well that's my progress so far this Saturday, I think I might work a little more and then call it a day. Then have a good Beer! LOL
Thanks for dropping by :wave: and have a great weekend.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2005/40382-Paris6.jpg

Esmeralinda
03-12-2005, 08:40 AM
You are doing great Lisa ! Have a nice resting Saturday, you deserve it after all that work/play !!! :D

Bisous, Linda :wave:

BryAli
03-12-2005, 11:47 AM
This is coming along beautifully, Lisa! I like the change you made with the pyramid...it just fits better :). I've never been to Paris and cannot critique the places/buildings, but they are looking great here and I'd love to see them in real life! Take a break and then keep sharing ;) .

Anita Murphy
03-12-2005, 01:00 PM
This is going to be so nice Lisa - you must be pleased with it! One question - you have Notre Dame behind the Arc de Triomphe but not showing through the arch - did you mean to do this?
I love the cafe scene - so French! Makes me hungry for a baguette and brie! But I would rather have a Tuborg to go with it! Skol!
KA

laketrees
03-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Hi Lisa...
Paris is looking ....EXCELLENT!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers Kim

LisaArt
03-13-2005, 04:08 AM
Hi Alishia, Thanks so much for your kind words..I am very pleased. If you ever have the chance, you must visit paris. It is a beautiful city with so many great landmarks!

Hi KA, LOL, a tuborg beer with the brie, yep right my alley.
Thanks so much, I really appreciate that. You know, I never noticed the Notre Dame no showing through the l'Arc de Triomphe, until my husband pointed out yesterday, and it was not intentional. ;) I am going to fix that. I played around in MGI photo suite and it looks much better to show the cathedral. Good eyes you have ! :wave:

"Good day" my mate Kim! Thanks so much, it really means alot to me. :wave:

Back to work this morning. I hope to finish today.... :cat:

LadyRose
03-15-2005, 06:08 AM
Great Colors Lisa! Waiting impatiently for the finished piece :D

LisaArt
03-15-2005, 07:42 AM
Hi Lady Rose. :) Thanks so much. Really appreciate that. I would love to finish but I am so busy, as we are having some visitors from Germany arriving tomorrow for a few days.
I wont have too much time to paint. :(
I think I might be able to finish only after Easter. Have a great day :wave:

LadyRose
03-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Will be waiting till then :D Have a nice day!

Bevahlee
03-15-2005, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE=colour.
Also need to do the refining of the bridge and arc de triumph.
I want to work on the foreground today (Louver and Glass pyramid).
[B]Do any of you have a suggestion for the colour of Glass? What can I mix. I was thinking white and grey with hues of purple? Help please ! :confused:

well for me, the turquoise with darker shadings in the pyramid (Pei's?) looks very much like glass, especially when you finish off the other dark shapes around it. Is that where you meant?

Bev

LisaArt
04-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi Bev, Yes that is where I meant. Thanks so much. I am going with that colour. Sorry to me so long to post again, I was away on vacation. :wave:

LisaArt
04-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Hi Everyone, :wave: Well I am back from my great skiing vacation, and I have Spring fever! I have been in a major slump for paintings. Hey Kim, Mikey, Can you send me some of that Energy of yours.... :D
Just can't seem to wet those brushes. So today, I started working on my Paris painting finally got some courage. I filled in the Notre Dame cathedral in the back of the l'Arc De Triump. Due to the colours in the cathedral I had to fix my little roofs on the cafe, they were just not coming forward enough. I added some whites in there. Anyhow, I am not sure about it now? :confused:
I outlined my moulin rouge, as it wasnt popping enough, and added some darks to the bridge, arc de triump as well. I have left to do that glass pyramid, the lip fountain and metro sign. Oh also my light posts on the bridge and those cats :)
I was wondering if you think I should add some lights to the backround (eg. sort of like clouds - well not really clouds more of some white/light violets hightlights. Different shadings... It seems a little dark. Thanks so much for all your help. ;) :wave: PS...Had troubles making a good pic today. Note the Louvre is much darker. the whole bottom right side of the painting is a little fuzzy..????
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2005/40382-Paris7.jpg

Gilberte
04-01-2005, 12:10 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Esmeralinda
04-01-2005, 12:57 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mikey
04-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi Lisa, I think the outline on the windmill gives a good balance. It looks a bit like twilight to me. a nice feeling. I think you could graduate the sky, but don't think I'd want anything too fancy like clouds.

Mikey

Esmeralinda
04-01-2005, 06:25 PM
You're so good at what you do Lisa !

Mikey, "Windmill" ? you are so sweet ! :) Now that you mention it, I also think it would be a good idea to graduate the sky just a little.

xoxo

laketrees
04-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Hi Lisa....this is looking so super... :clap: I love every thing about it ...the violet in the sky is wonderful and the tables and chairs look just right!! looks like the break did you the world of good...sometimes you just have to get away from you work...then you can come back to it with a fresh perspective,,,,and your work is always so fresh and vibrant... :clap:
cheers kim

Esmeralinda
04-01-2005, 07:34 PM
You're so good at what you do Lisa !

Mikey, "Windmill" ? you are so sweet ! :) Now that you mention it, I also think it would be a good idea to graduate the sky just a little.

xoxo

But then we might miss the cats.......Lisa.........just do what you think is best. I'm sure it will be the right way. :clap: :clap: :wave:

LisaArt
04-02-2005, 03:22 AM
Hi Gilberte, Linda, Mikey and Kim :wave:
Thanks so much for looking and giving me that super feedback and so kind words... :o
I totally agree about your point for the sky Mikey. A little graduation will be perfect. And oh no fancy big clouds.. :eek: .I am terrible at skys and would not want to ruin my painting and have to paint the backround all around again....With oil, it was so much easier as I could just turp then out! With acrylics...I have to be oh so very careful...and that is often not in my nature...LOL. But I love the drying time and no mess cleanup.
Oh Linda, I am keeping those petits minous! :cat: :wave:
Have a great Weekend Everyone! We are finally having some Spring weather here in Copenhagen, so I am lighting that barbie every day this weekend! Cheers ;)

Anita Murphy
04-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Agree with graduating the sky slightly. I think too busy a sky would distract completely from the rest of the painting. Great job with Notre Dame peeking through the Arc de Triomphe.
Enjoy the BBQ!

LisaArt
04-03-2005, 04:45 AM
Hi KA! thanks so much for dropping by. How are you doing on your paintings?
The BBQ was great, making another tonight ;) :wave:

Anita Murphy
04-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Hi Lisa
Stuck on my paintings - lost faith in myself completely.
Copying Toulouse-Lautrec instead.
Thanks for asking!

LisaArt
04-05-2005, 06:31 AM
Hi KA, Dont Loose faith Girl! We all have those days. I was feeling like that last week. ;) Toulouse Latrec. I really love his stuff. Fun! Please do post some work soon!

LisaArt
04-05-2005, 06:39 AM
Hi Guys, Well I did some more work today. I took the weekend off and yesterday. It was so warm and beautiful here. Had to enjoy my bike! ;)
Here is where I am at this morning. Basically spent all morning working on that pain in the a$$ glass pyramid! What do you think...Too dark..not light enough. Please ignore the lips and the metro sign. I have yet to work on them this afternoon. I am hoping to finish today! Thanks all so much for taking the time to let me know your comments about the pyramid!....It is stressing the dickens out of me...
Oh, I thought I would share this news with you: My husband's uncle was up here visiting from Germany and he loved this painting. He has commissioned me to do one "same style" of his hometown in Bremen, Germany! I am quite happy about that! He even wants the cats!! LOLOL :cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2005/40382-Paris8.jpg
and a close up...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2005/40382-pyramid.jpg

Anita Murphy
04-05-2005, 07:09 AM
Maybe the lights should be a little lighter in the pyramid, Lisa. Thinking of how glass shines with at least one bright reflection in each pane.
Congratulations on the commission!

LisaArt
04-05-2005, 07:45 AM
HI KA! Yep! Your right..Thanks so much..So good to have an extra pair of eyes! :wink2: I will do that today :) :wave:

Anita Murphy
04-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Lisa - Toulouse-Lautrec is on the acrylic forum - April project. Didn't want to cross post.
Thanks for encouragement.

laketrees
04-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Hey .......LISA!!!! ....:clap: CONGRATULATIONS.... :clap: are you going to put it in here as a WIP???....I sure hope so...... :D
Paris is looking ...GREAT.....just a touch more highlights on the glass would look good...I love the writing on the cafe.....you must have such tiny brushes
...and such patience... :angel: how did you like working with acrylics??? I'm going to pop over and look at KAs work.....

LisaArt
04-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Hi again KA. :wave: I will go check it out now. :)
Okay, before you posted about adding more lights, I did more work. Did my light posts and the cats. I now added some yellow highlights on the glass reflecting from the light posts....Here is a large shot and a close up...What do you think...I think I still might need to make it lighter. ?????
Thanks so much !!!
I will work on the rest of my things today..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2005/40382-closeup.jpg
Large Frame
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2005/40382-paris9.jpg

LisaArt
04-05-2005, 08:12 AM
Hey Kim!!!!!!!!!! We cross posted...LOL
Thank so much..Your enthusiasm..always makes my day.
Yeah! I agree. More lights.
Yeah! I will do the Bremen one in the WIP...I really hanging out here in the WIP. It is my favourite place..with all you super guys.
I drive my mate crazy...everytime he comes home with all my questions about the painting, that he is happy I found WC to share my ideas and questions with...LOL
I love now working with acrylics...In the beginning I hated it because I had such a hard time with the drying time... :evil:
You know I still like oil better. Especially for all a prima work and smoothing with my fingers.... But I hated the clean up with Oil, and the smell of turps did drive me a little crazy...I still do have both ears..though...LOL.
I am a messy painter and I work with so many brushes...Sometimes about 20 at a time...so acrylic is better for me. Andy likes it better too....
Have a great day! :wave: OH yeah and congratulations to Alexander..Good show!

Gilberte
04-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Oh dear ... I wouldn't dare to critique or comment ... all those buildings ... they'd make me dizzy ! Do absolutely love the cats and the lamp posts !
Congrats on the Bremen commission !

LisaArt
04-05-2005, 08:32 AM
Hi Gilberte! Great to see you! thanks so much :) :wave:
The whole painting is making me dizzy....LOL....I almost strangled my white cat... :evil:
You must be having some amazing warm weather in Beligum these days! Because it is warm up here in the far North....LOL

Esmeralinda
04-05-2005, 08:09 PM
This is super, Lisa :clap: So much fun to follow your WIP... I can tell you are also having a lot of fun. :clap:

laketrees
04-06-2005, 02:05 AM
Hi Lisa.....SUPERFANDABULOUS..... :clap: ... :cat: ...I agree....I think you can go a little lighter again on the glass...have you tried naples yellow light...?
Funny you being a messy painter....I thought you would be neat and tidy because your paintings are soooo exact and detailed.... :D
I know what you mean about WC....Dave is very grateful that I don't hound him about my work....anymore :wink2: :D

LisaArt
04-06-2005, 02:24 AM
Bonjour Linda! Thanks so much. I really appreciate your such kind words and dropping by. I am having fun when I can share my progress with you great WC friends! ;)

Hey Kim, :o Thanks so much...It means so much to me.
I have never tried yellow naples. I am going to the art store today to get some canvas and I will pick up a tube!
I will lighten up the glass a bit more..thanks....

Have a great day guys! and happy painting... :wave:

laketrees
04-06-2005, 02:46 AM
Thankyou...I think we're cross posting....shame there isn't a "paris" yellow...lol...if you get the yellow you may need to mix it with white...any way...I'm sure you will get it right.... :D
cheers kim

LisaArt
04-06-2005, 04:34 AM
Hi Guys! Well I think the pyramid is light enough now...what do you think? Also what do you think of my lip foutain by Tinguely and my Metro sign. I am quite happy how they turned out....
So the painting is pretty much done now. Just need to do a little graduation in the sky/background.
I was wondering if you could all look with your super eyes and let me know if you think anything else needs tweaking.... :wave:
Ps..sorry...the pic is on a little slant...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2005/40382-Pyramid2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2005/40382-paris10.jpg

laketrees
04-06-2005, 06:56 AM
Hi Lisa....
The glass looks just right now...and the lips and metro sign are really... :cool: ...your little cats are perfect as usual (how could you possibly think of strangling one of them... :D )....they add a real touch of romance to the painting...I've always thought Paris is the most romantic city in the world...no crits from me!! :p :clap:
cheers kim

LisaArt
04-06-2005, 07:20 AM
Hey Kim, Thanks so much for looking again and your great support.
Yes, Paris is so romantic. I am going there in 3 weeks with Andy for his biz trip. I can hardly wait! I am happy that you like the cats. They do add some romance in there :)

Well I am finished now. Well I think so... :rolleyes: I might see something wrong in a couple days...but I want to move onto another project now :)

Here is the final post to the WIP.
Thanks again very much to all of you in this great WIP forum! I really appreciate all your help, and support! :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2005/40382-ParisFinal.jpg

Anita Murphy
04-06-2005, 07:38 AM
Well done Lisa - this is great. I love the details. The reds give a great punch - the flags especially seem to act like exclamation marks! Tres Jolie!

LisaArt
04-06-2005, 07:40 AM
Hi Anita, Thanks so much. I really appreciate your support. :)
How's it going with your son's portrait. Would love to see you do painting of it! :wave:

Anita Murphy
04-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Lisa - not started painting yet. Still picking up the courage!

Esmeralinda
04-06-2005, 09:25 AM
Lisa,

BRAVO, FÉLICITATIONS !!! :clap: It is just perfect.
A lovely romantic painting. Good for you. Can't wait to see the next......this was fun. :clap: