PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for a living?

jhusel
12-10-2001, 12:48 AM
I hate my job and desperately want to do something new. I was wondering what other sculptors did for a living, and maybe it would give me an idea of what to look for. Right now I work in a cubicle behind a computer all day, and am on the verge of going insane!!!!

Jason

diane555
12-10-2001, 08:27 AM
Hi Jason

Can't say what I am doing right now because I have not gone to work yet since moving here this summer. But, before I moved here..back in Canada I was doing some desktop publishing from home and doing a little work in the greenhouse industry because I love working with plants. I also spent 6 years doing drywall taping (or finishing? not sure what you call it here) and renovation.
I liked it but it is hard work and I had to stop because my knees are not so good any more. I certainly slept better at night than when I was working on my computer all day! I have been renovating since getting here too but only at home. Not so sure you will want to go into the drywall trade but it's an idea! :D

Di

max nelson
12-10-2001, 06:59 PM
Jason..a job you hate may be a hint for you to at least think about changing. Don't have any statistics, but my guess is that there are many, many artist out there that work at something just so they can do their art. I know several in my area that worked for years until they became an 'overnight' success, and a couple of others that just seemed to jump out of the gate right away. There are many factors in ones life that have to converge at some point to get to where we want to be, and I am a firm believer that luck, fate or whatever you call it plays a large roll. The only thing that makes the difference is to prepare yourself so that when that magic moment comes you are in a position to take advantage of the 'luck'. If you have been doing something for forty years and not much happening, thats one thing. If you are only into your career a few years...then patience, my boy, it will come. As the old scribe put it..'the harder I work, the luckier I get'.:)
keep the faith
Max:)

Yielding
12-11-2001, 06:50 PM
I agree with Max !!!!!

Just got word Friday that my company is transfering me to a new location. It is good thing - bigger and better things to manage. I work in operations and manage call centers.

Moving really takes time away from my sculptures. I packed my studio on Sunday, big bummer there. Nothing but sketching for now - even if I have time for that. The bright side is that I will be back up soon. Hopfully less than 60 days.

Good luck on your job, look on the bright side - at least you have your studio up and running.

jackddavis
12-11-2001, 08:03 PM
I'm self employed in a business that has taken its toll on my back. After 36 years in this business and hating most every minute of it, I would encourage you to find an occupation that you enjoy. Life is too short to work at a job you don't like.

yogi
12-30-2001, 01:41 PM
Hi,

Hate to hear you're in a job you hate. That can be a totally miserable experience.

My husband and I are self-employed as an Internet Service Provider in a small town. When we had just dial-up customers, we had a lot of free-time I should have used for doing my artwork. Instead, we were making preparations for providing wireless connections for our customers, too. Now that the wireless network is established, we have very little free time. It trippled our customer base.

So, my suggestion is that you get a server, router, modems, and other equipment needed in order to become an ISP in a small community. If you set up this equipment in your home, you can work out of your home/workshop. Once you have a good number of dial-up customers, there's very little to do maintenance-wise and only a few phone calls to answer, if the system is working smoothly. Survive on the money this brings in while doing your artwork. When my hubby started the ISP business, he knew nothing about it. He learned quickly.

Really consider giving it a try.

jhusel
12-31-2001, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I actually have two good possibilities going right now for fulltime employment. One teaching art in High School and the other teaching art at a Community College. I will take either one in a blink of an eye. I would love to teach!!!

So everyone please keep their fingers crossed for me. It will be a while before I know anything but will let you know if something happens.

Thanks!!!

Jason

jackddavis
12-31-2001, 12:55 PM
What a great opportunity. And a great way to start the New Year. The best of luck

Jan-Michael
01-01-2002, 03:49 AM
I work..in electronics ... I just want to retire and work on Art.... but it's nice to dream....:) ok here is a quiz... where I work I am treated like 2nd class... and if I tell people where I work they move away real quick.... guess where I work... :)

Yielding
01-01-2002, 08:25 AM
The Landfill??

diane555
01-01-2002, 08:51 AM
Jason: Have my fingers crossed for you...ditto to what Jack said :)

Jan-Michael: Geeesh, I have no idea.....trying to recall what's in london that makes people nervous. hmmm

Di

Yielding
01-01-2002, 09:31 AM
nuclear power plant????

max nelson
01-03-2002, 01:15 AM
Jan-Michael..I got it..I got it! You work for the Canadian equivalent of the IRS! Something to do with electronics that has a 'gottcha' attached to it. That's it, isn't it.:evil:
Max

Jan-Michael
01-04-2002, 10:43 PM
GeeeeZ ...no winner yet...:) maybe tomorrow I'll give another hint. :) but remember the first part about 2nd class ..... that was the first hint.. :)

MKathleen
01-05-2002, 12:52 PM
I know, I know--Canada's verison of our US Postal Service.

Best,
Kathy:D

Yielding
01-05-2002, 02:42 PM
moving company??

Phyllis Rennie
01-05-2002, 09:04 PM
sewer plant????

max nelson
01-07-2002, 06:56 PM
Jan-Michael...2nd Class Petty Officer, radioman or electronic voodoo undercover foreign intrigue special forces. ??? Well?
Max

jackddavis
01-07-2002, 07:53 PM
Is this multiple choice? Will there be a test? I'll go with "A" ;)

Yielding
01-15-2002, 06:53 PM
I must have an answer, been waiting for days. Jan-Michael are you out there??? Please let us know the answer :D

MKathleen
01-16-2002, 01:47 PM
Yielding, me tooooooooooo I'll send him an email! Maybe he'll read it! lol :0

Best,

Jan-Michael
01-16-2002, 02:16 PM
MKathleen... thanks for the email... :)

well I must say... max nelson... is very close... actually even part right.. with the electronics :)

jhusel
01-16-2002, 04:29 PM
Do you work with explosives?

Jason

Yielding
01-16-2002, 06:34 PM
civil engineer - you use electronic explosives to clear the way for new roads???

MKathleen
01-16-2002, 06:53 PM
:D Your an electronics engineer for the Canadian Immigration Service:D ?

Best,
Kathy:D :D :D

Jan-Michael
01-16-2002, 08:26 PM
I will post a multiple choice tomorrow...:)

jhusel
01-23-2002, 06:54 PM
Well everyone, I FINALLY got a new job. I am still at the same place but have a new boss. And along with this came a promotion. It is not art related by any means and I am going to keep looking, but I don't hate my job as bad as I once did and I am happier now. That is all that matters right now! :)

jason

jackddavis
01-23-2002, 07:31 PM
Way to go. Jason..........Glad it worked out.

Tax preparation, Jan-Michael

Tomorrow never comes, does it?

MKathleen
01-23-2002, 10:32 PM
jason, congratulations on your new job! There is nothing worse than being in a job that makes you unhappy.
Maybe we'll see some sculpture coming from ya soon!

Best,

Yielding
01-24-2002, 07:40 AM
Congrats on the promotion Jason!!

jhusel
01-24-2002, 11:19 AM
Thanks alot!! I appreciate the support. I am very excited about it. I hope to do some new sculpture too. It is hard to do when haven't sold much in a while. I need to get busy trying to market and sale my art again.

jason

diane555
01-24-2002, 01:09 PM
Congratulations Jason, on the promotion. :clap: Hope it makes going to work each day easier.

Di