PDA

View Full Version : Joining the teacher...

ejmstudios
03-07-2005, 01:13 PM
or maybe I should say re-joining the teachers. I was a middle school art teacher for several years, and then I got burned out. Went into graphic design, then into professional art..now I've opened my own little studio and will be teaching adult (over 16 that is) drawing, painting, and crafts :clap: :clap: I had my first drawing class last week, and it was so much fun to teach someone that want to be there!

Looking forward to sharing ideas and thoughts with you all!
Beth

gini/art
03-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Congratulations Beth! I'm glad your doing what you love. I just started an art class for kids, 7 - 12. I had my first class yesterday. It seemed to go OK. I started getting the kids use to watercolor. I had them blend and "Play with the paint" I also touched on conture drawing. I would appreciate it if you could give me some pointers on teaching kids, lessons etc. Thanks

gini :clap:

Cristy A
03-08-2005, 01:49 PM
or maybe I should say re-joining the teachers. I was a middle school art teacher for several years, and then I got burned out. Went into graphic design, then into professional art..now I've opened my own little studio and will be teaching adult (over 16 that is) drawing, painting, and crafts :clap: :clap: I had my first drawing class last week, and it was so much fun to teach someone that want to be there!

Looking forward to sharing ideas and thoughts with you all!
Beth

Sounds like fun, Beth!!
Can't wait to hear more about it. Are you working from Betty Edwards drawing books?
Cristy

ejmstudios
03-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Gini - Thanks :) I would be happy to share any tips or ideas..but I don't know where to start. Do you have some specific questions?

Cristy -
I'm not directly working from her book. But I pretty much have both her books and Mona Brooks memorized from when I was teaching middle school, so I am sure that I am incorporating their ideas! I haven't looked at them in years, I should get a copy.. I know she has a new version out.

I pull ideas from all over and keep them all in a note book. I have a note book for each area..beginning drawing, beginning wc, intermediate wc, intermediate 2 (which is more experimental), and crafts.

Beth

gini/art
03-08-2005, 11:37 PM
I think that I want to start with beginning drawing and beginning water color. I;m not sure what to start with, or where to find the info I need. THanks for your help. Gini

gini/art
03-08-2005, 11:40 PM
BTW, I checked out your web site and I love it. Did you design it? Gin

ejmstudios
03-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Well, I would start with your local library and check out all the books you can find on watercolors and drawing :) Or half.com or amazon.com's used section. Betty Edward's Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and Drawing on the Artist Within, and Mona Brook's Drawing with Children are classics for teaching drawing. Take notes as you read on the ideas you like and possible lessons, and start building files or notebooks that will act as your resource for classes.

hope this helps :)

Beth

gini/art
03-15-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks, I think it will!

Gini :clap: