PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Class 14 - Figure Drawing

Pages : [1] 2

JayD
03-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Basic 101: Class 14
The Human Figure—GO FIGURE!

Honestly, I’m a portrait guy—I love to draw my family and my dog—I like landscapes and I like rabbit hutches but I have never been captivated, like most artist, by the human figure. No real reason—it is just a personal preference.

It doesn’t matter whether or not I like to draw the figure—I OWE it to myself as an artist to draw the human figure whether it be male or female. It always disturbed me that there are always more female reference sources then there seem to be male. Anyway, I am glad that I did this as it rekindled a spark in me that I thought was long extinguished.

For the past few classes, we have been skipping merrily away from the DeReyna book and that is ok because I want you to pick up as much as you can from different sources. Like spinach and that eggplant casserole that my aunt would always say that I would like because I had not tried hers—well—like my aunt would say—“its good for you”. In this case, the experience is good for you.

So here we are back in DeReyna-Land. Please experiment with any medium that you would like—both dry and wet. The purpose here is the experience of drawing the figure so go about it anyway that you feel comfortable.

A couple of things regarding the human figure:

1. The arms and legs are cylinders as well as the torso, waist, chest and head—think about this point and creating solidity with your figure—a three dimensional look.

2. The standard measurement of the human figure is in “heads”. A classic human male or female is 7.5 heads tall. This is not, by any means, a fixed position. For example, a petite female may be 6 heads tall or a male be as high as 8 heads tall.

FOR GOD’S SAKE—YOU DON’T HAVE TO DRAW THE HEADS. Instead create for yourself a strip with pencil marks where the heads would be and use it to occasionally measure figure as your sketch progresses.

3. The cylinder is just ONE way to construct a body—You can also build a human figure using trapezoids and bold-like strokes., make reference marks or follow contour lines. Try them all if you have the time.

HOW TO TELL A BOY FROM A GIRL

1. The female sternum is smaller the that of the male

2. The sides of the male waist is longer then the female

3. The female pelvis is wider then the pelvis of the male.

4. The nipples of the female are positioned lower then those of the male.

....and, of course--the usual ways.....

SOME MEASUREMENT TIPS

1. The general size of the face is about the same size as a hand.

2. The upper arm is around 1 and 1 half heads

3. If the fingers are extended, the length of the lower arm is equal to around two heads.

ABOUT MY DRAWINGS

Having not done figures for a while, I decided to experiment. The first female is a pencil sketch. The second female is done in ink and is a character from a novel that my daughter is writing. She is very big into the female empowerment. The first male is just a 5 or ten minute quick sketch using a conte’ stick--it was a horrible mistake but I can't justify NOT posting the goofs--—never used the conte stic before and will spend some more time with it before committing anything else to paper-- and finally the the last male is a quickly sketched male using a mechanical pencil. Again, I place emphasis on the fact that I generally do portraits—don’t shoot the artist!

YOUR ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEK

1. Very simple—draw at least one male nude and one female nude.

2. Bonnie, this will be a breeze for you—everyone create a fantasy piece using a human figure. It does NOT have to be scantily clad women riding around on huge battle cats. It can be past, present or futuristic. The decision is entirely yours.

EVERYBODY HAVE FUN WITH THIS ONE.

Doing the course of the week, I will probably also put together a more respectable demo for you as well.

THIS WEEKS FIELD TRIP ARTIST OF THE WEEK IS

MONTREAL PAINTER—I REALLY THINK YOU WILL ENJOY THIS NEW ARTIST’S ABOVE EXCELLENT WORK. HE SHOULD BE TEACHING THIS PARTICULAR CLASS
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255345

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205381

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185242

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181710

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179785

AND BE SURE TO VISIT ERIC’S WEB SITE. HE IS AN INSTRUCTOR AT AN ATELIER AND HIS SPECIALTY IS THE HUMAN FIGURE. IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT BECOMING A STUDENT OF THE HUMAN BODY, THEN THIS IS CERTAINLY THE MAN AND THE INSTRUCTION TO PURSUE. NOTE THAT THE SITE PROMOTES THE ATELIER AND SO IS AN ADVERTISEMENT FROM ONE OF OUR MEMBERS BUT THE STUDENT GALLERY IS PHENOMONAL AND SPEAKS VOLUMES TO THE SKILLS OF ITS INSTRUCTORS.

Also: consider checking out the figure forum for inspiration.

ENJOY YOURSELVES!

Deb Leger
03-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Hi Jay,

Looks great! I'm hoping to get back into the drawing classes. Once again, life/stress interceded and I haven't touched my paintbrushes for ages, let alone a pencil. :crying:

So, for this week, I'm setting a goal to do something for the drawing class. I'm not going to stress out on trying to do all the classes I've missed, but if I get spare time, I will try.

The atelier in Montreal really intrigues me! Montreal is only an hour away from me and I travel there now each week (weather permitting) for painting lessons. I'll have to look further into this!

Thanks Barbara and Ann for your support.

Deb

Judi1957
03-07-2005, 06:22 AM
JayD :wave:
Wonderful demo! :clap: :clap: Have been looking forward to this class for a long time.

Hey Deb :wave: So glad you are back. :clap: :clap: You were missed!

JayD
03-07-2005, 06:26 AM
Deb, drop me a pm and I will send you the secret link. We're glad to have you back in the class.

Mary Woodul
03-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Good morning All! :wave: JayD, thank you always for the work and time you put into this. I always love the stories and humor that comes with the writing of the class. :clap: I have never drawn or painted the human figure either, so I have no idea what I'll come up with.

Hi Deb!, I think of you often, have missed you, and am happy to see you around. :clap:

Hi Judi :wave:

mothsailor
03-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Thanks JayD, this looks good. Thanks for the secret link too! :wink:

Good to see you again, Deb. :wave:

mothsailor
03-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Forgot to say that some people may not have seen the demo on figure drawing by Stoy a few months back. Hope it's OK if I mention it here. The link is here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230509&page=2&pp=15)

JayD
03-07-2005, 09:26 AM
You know, Dave--I totally forgot about this demo--I am going to feature him for one of the artist of the week field trips but he is so diverse it is hard to find a place for the feature.

By all means--thanks for finding this and bringing it into the class for show and tell. :)

Fireman's kid
03-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Jay - thanks for another great class!! I always look forward to the new classes, although the anticipation is mixed with a little fear. I wonder when I'll get over that - the fear that I absolutely won't be able to draw something. :confused:

Deb - great to see you back! I've also wondered where you were. I hope life is getting less stressful.

As for figure drawing, I took one class many years ago and wasn't very good at it. I hope I have improved since then. :rolleyes: I guess we'll know by the end of the week. :D

I haven't had a chance to check the links yet. I hope to get back to them later today. I also have to finish last week's drawing and post it in lesson 13. But right now I have to go for my daily walk. We are getting one day of Spring before winter returns and I don't want to miss it. busy, busy, busy...

JayD
03-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Hey, Staci--I am sure you are going to do fine! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Everyone be sure to check out Stoy's weekly thread.

Judi1957
03-07-2005, 01:02 PM
:D Please don't forget to rate this thread!!! :D

SILKNSATIN
03-08-2005, 12:29 AM
JayD you did very good :clap: :clap:
I do love to draw the human figure and some poses are very very tough to do.Easy??teehee How long do I have?lol :D

JayD
03-08-2005, 12:44 AM
As fast as you whip em out--35 minutes! :D

Actually, take as long as you need. :) I shall be very interested in seeing what everyone cranks out.

SILKNSATIN
03-08-2005, 02:19 AM
Ok first one took longer then 35 min. lol
Now tomorrow I'll try the male.
9x12 4b pencil

Judi1957
03-08-2005, 06:21 AM
Bon,
Did you do this from your head? :envy: :envy:
:clap: :clap:

idcrisis55
03-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Hi Everyone, Can hardly wait to see what everyone does in this lesson. Jay thanks for the link.

Here is the link to this week's lesson in pdf if you want to download it :)

http://www.atreesse.com/BD101/Class14/Class14.pdf

Ann

SILKNSATIN
03-08-2005, 11:34 AM
No mary this one is from a photo.But I am leaving in 10 minutes to go to my first live male YIPPY.He's a very good friend of the family and is willing to be my victim.But hubby said I can't do him nude lol "WELLLL" :D
So he'll have on a cloth or trunks or something on :mad:
Just like a male hah lol he sure didn't mind when I did my cousin :evil:
Just kidding my hubby is a good sport and loves the artistic side of me.But still noooooooo live nude lol.Maybe because he's part of our lives?O well it will still be a challenge and it's no biggie to me :p :p :p :p .Scratch that last comment teehee.Might be taken the umm wrong way ;)

Judi1957
03-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Hey Bon,
I did some searching for male dancers (for the class :angel: )...and Whoa!...what I saw! :evil:
Anxious to see your 'Victim'

Judi1957
03-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Hey Ann! :wave:
Thanks for the pdf. :)

mothsailor
03-08-2005, 12:59 PM
I thought I would do some quick drawings first, as in Stoy's demonstration. I'm not showing the 2 minute ones, but here is a 5 minute drawing, done with vine charcoal on newsprint, about 18x24in.

I think Bon's going to be the star of this class! :clap: :clap:

sultry
03-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Hi Everyone :wave:
Miss ya Ann
Enjoyed the Demo Jay, wonderful figure drawings. :)
Bon wow girlfriend, can't wait for the male figure. :clap:
Dave that is really a good porportioned figure.

SILKNSATIN
03-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Well i'm back :wave:
After 20 minutes of fighting over poses grrr he finally found one he liked.He wouldn't let my do a front pose cause he said he doesn't his nipples?He said they to big and so after I slapped him around a few times with a pencil I at least got him to sit steal :D .I dunno though?I'm not really into live figure.Kinda miss my own work.But it was fun and an experience.So now I can say I have done a male and female live figure. :)
But going back to what I enjoy most fantasy art,babies and animals.
Kinda wierd that im not to impressed on doing live figure or even photo figur?because I love the human figure and do it 90% of the time in my fantasy art.I guess im just wierd :cool:

SILKNSATIN
03-08-2005, 03:06 PM
WAIT WAIT maybe if I put some wings on him deirdre would finally get to see the male hardbody fairy :D
Dave good drawing :clap:
I get to that hardbody male fairy yet deirdre lol
Wow umm male dancers?WHERE?
Teehee
I look on the net today and there sure isn't many male poses?Or I just typed in wrong.And some I did see they was either gay with partners or not full bodied.Am I looking at wrong sites?Just curious :wave:

SILKNSATIN
03-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Well um it's me again :(
I think i'm lost? :crying:
This week create a fantasy piece using male or female nude?

Mary Woodul
03-08-2005, 03:17 PM
I didn't find any either Bon. :evil: Your drawing is so good but then they always are.

Hi Ann, so nice to see you around.

Hey Sultry :wave:

Dave, your is very good too, you are so fast I can't even decide how to start.

Judi, where did you find them?

JayD
03-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Just want to give you a heads up that next week we are all going to go hippity hoppity down the BONNIE trail and take your newfound figure superpowers and apply them to a fantasy scene so be thinking about what you can do--there will be more to follow. :evil:

SILKNSATIN
03-08-2005, 04:40 PM
:rolleyes: :) :p :D :cat: o o This mean I get to see a bit of your inner fantasies come to life?
JayD bonny's trail?lol Don't think thats healthy teehee
Maybe deirdre wil get that hardbody male fairy :evil:

Mary Woodul
03-08-2005, 04:42 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2005/43096-looksmiley1.gif

Well this was my reaction but Bon beat me to the reply. :wave:

sultry
03-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Cool Jay I am into imagination : :clap: :
Hugs Mary, good to see ya
Bon both your pieces are magnificent, I was surprised you have not x-posted them in the figure fora. They deserve to be there too. :wink2:
Infact that male figure Va Va Voom. Nice pecs & ankles. :cat: giggles, ok, ok I will be good. :angel: :evil: :D

JayD
03-08-2005, 07:27 PM
FOLKS, BEFORE I FORGET:

When you do the drawings for the class please try to refraim from turning your reference photos upside down.

Nothing wrong with it of course but we are following the basics of Rudy de Reyna's book which emphasizes a focus on breaking down the object as a last resort.

If I were, for example, to set up a physical field trip for us to meet on top of Big Walker Mountain to draw the panaramic view of the 5 states--you would have a HECK of a time turning it upside down :D

If you feel compelled to used the upside down thingy do so ONLY as a last resort. Give the geometric shapes a try first. :)

BTW--I cannot draw anything upside down--it disorients me--what I see is an upside down complete image. :rolleyes:

Judi1957
03-08-2005, 09:13 PM
The male dancers, yes, not all of them showed the feet, Oh well, can't have everything. LOL!
Try this (http://http://www.wildstrip.com/guy1.htm) and the best ONE (http://www.rlephoto.com/odes/damsels/dancer_mystery/)

Really it is hard to find full bodied male dancer pics. But I enjoyed the search.
I am drawing Bart though, ballet dancer.

Bon....how do you do it!?! :clap:
Dave, good drawing. :clap:
Mary, Sults and JayD :wave:

SILKNSATIN
03-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Sorry for the upside down model but i'm always trying to find hard poses and shouldn't have used this thread as so.Can I remove it and redo a drawing just standing poses.Let me know.It's no problem.

sultry
03-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Hi Judi
Bon he does not mean your female figure at all. Jay is referring to the Betty Edwards teachings of taking any ref. pic and turning it upside down. Then to sketch it that way because you will not recognize it as the subject you are used to. If you drew your tumbling thumbelina from your imagination you have nothing to worry about.

Jay my ref pics are all right side up that I am working from in this class. :)

JayD
03-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Bon, absolutely not! I was referring to the trick of turning your reference photo upside down--the purposed of the class is to grasp the concepts of geometrics.

Remember that class members are not BANNED from using it --I just want them to give DeReyna's technique the old college try first.

I think you drawing is absolutely fine. MORE PLEASE :)

Cathie Jones
03-08-2005, 11:27 PM
So I was sitting here feeling helpless . . . JayD had once again asked me to draw something without telling me how to do it. Sheeeesh . . . then I remembered we were back to the book. You know, the one I carry with me to work every day and rarely remember to look at. DUH!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2005/23460-Smiley_DUH.gif

I also found "ABC of Life Drawing" and this link to interactive figures]link to interactive figures (http://www.modelalisa.com/modealisa_gb2.html) in ArtDude's Learning Center.

Guess I'll give it a try after all.

HEY! Look what Mary did!! She out-icon'd me!!! Way to go Mary!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

sultry
03-08-2005, 11:44 PM
This was done in #H4; HB; 2B blending was with #4 flat brush; tortillion & a facial sponge. 11"x14" 70lb wght, 104 gm drawing paper.
Oh Judi I found a site too for men too.

Deb Leger
03-09-2005, 02:21 AM
THanks for the welcome back.

Beautiful drawings, Bon! I especially like the muscular work of her legs in the female. I find doing muscles a tough area.

Dave, good charcoal work!

Judi, loved the male dancer! (The one you said was the best one.) :D

Sultry, very nicely done.

I worked on this one tonight. It looks better on the paper than it does on the scan!! :eek: I used a guy from THE link place, which is a great place. I love how you can turn them. (I find drawing the male back is far more intriguing than drawing the front, so I turned him 'round! :evil: ) 2B pencil on 11 x 14 65# sketchbook paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2005/11775-1.JPG

Yuppers, he definitely looks better on the paper in front of me!

A few years ago, I signed up for a weekend workshop on drawing life models. I thought I'd be learning how to draw them. Instead, half the class was spent on yoga and then we had to paint (without drawing) the models. The only instruction was "draw what you FEEL, FEEL the energy inside you. Draw that energy." I spent a lot of that class rolling my eyes. :rolleyes: Definitely not what I was expecting! :D I'll look around and see if I can find the fast painting I did there. (I'm not dissing yoga or anything, it's great stuff, but I really didn't want to do yoga in a drawing class!! :evil: I wanted to learn how to draw life models, which we did not learn.)

Judi1957
03-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Hey CJ! :wave: Good to see you!

Sults, Nice job! :clap: :clap:

Deb, Welcome back! Nice job too! :clap: :clap: Glad you enjoyed the best ONE. :wink2: :D

mothsailor
03-09-2005, 07:16 AM
Morning all! :wave:

Can't understand the sudden interest in male dancers! Still, if you really want one, here's a great picture of a top male dancer. Is that the sort of thing you were looking for, ladies? :wink2:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2005/52179-fred_astaira.jpg

Sults and Deb: you've both done a great job. Tonight I hope to be able to do some longer drawings! But first I need to FEEL THE ENERGY. Far out, man! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2005/52179-banana.gif

JayD
03-09-2005, 07:31 AM
I have a horror of dancing period.-I still have painful memories of performing as a dancer in "The King and I"--I work what essentially was a diaper and this HUGE plaster of paris head piece--that was the longest two week run of my life--I did not think it would EVER end.

Bon--I love your upside downer because you created a really neat series of shapes and patterns. It is a different position--not akin to some of the standard contrived poses that models do--the pose makes me think, for some odd reason of the TV series Carnivale. Nice work!

Bon (the sequel)--Alright, our first man. HMMMMMM.......I notice that he was naked--was your husband there supervising? :evil: It is a nice relaxe pose and a good choice--he seems like a cool fellow. The arm in the fore ground looks a bit large but I am not absolutely sure because the other arm is blocked and so I have no real frame of reference. But the lines--ah Bon--very delicate almost like an etching--wonderful.

Sultry--Nicely work and developed. I especially like the pose--is this a live model? Well done!

Dave, I think quick sketches are the hardest thing to do because its like working the trapeze without a net. A nice sketch--pay attention to the proportions and think in terms of the VOLUME of each part (cylinders for example)--also, before you begin to sketch decide on two poiints--where is the center line and what is the center of gravity. Work your drawing against those two points. As busy as we all are, I hope I get to see another posting from you and the others before the week ends. Great work!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deb--Welcome back!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: We all missed you. Nice drawing--Like Bon you have a real delicacy of line. Keep an eye on your proportions and dont forget the cylinders and other fun filled geometric forms. Nice work!!! :wave: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deb Leger
03-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Morning all! :wave:

Can't understand the sudden interest in male dancers! Still, if you really want one, here's a great picture of a top male dancer. Is that the sort of thing you were looking for, ladies? :wink2:

Sults and Deb: you've both done a great job. Tonight I hope to be able to do some longer drawings! But first I need to FEEL THE ENERGY. Far out, man! :D

Thanks Judi, Dave and Jay.

Jay, I find the hardest part was the bent arm on the left. "Foreshortening" they call that? (I've also just noticed that his 'cheek' starts at the wrong place! I'll fix that tonight and do another, thinking of cylinders and forms. :D )

Dave, did you actually go to the site Judi posted for the male dancers? :evil: This one. (http://www.rlephoto.com/odes/damsels/dancer_mystery/) I love their wording, too! "These dancers were old and worn as were most of the males I saw." You really ought to check these old dancers out, Dave. :wink2: And I love Fred's pic! He reminds me soooo much of my Grandfather, who incidentally, immigrated to Canada from Lancastershire.

Deb

JayD
03-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Hi, Deb--you will find that one of the advantages of the De Reyna approach is that it is easier to deal with issues like foreshortening and perspective when you think in terms of sphere and cylinders and such(oh my!). I cant wait to see your changes. :)

bjcpaints
03-09-2005, 09:41 AM
So I was sitting here feeling helpless . . . JayD had once again asked me to draw something without telling me how to do it. Sheeeesh . . . then I remembered we were back to the book. You know, the one I carry with me to work every day and rarely remember to look at. DUH!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2005/23460-Smiley_DUH.gif
I also found "ABC of Life Drawing" and this link to interactive figures]link to interactive figures (http://www.modelalisa.com/modealisa_gb2.html) in ArtDude's Learning Center.
Guess I'll give it a try after all.

CJ, You are my new hero (heroine doesn't sound right for some reason).LOL I was thinking the same thing. Looked at the chapter in the DeReyna book.
Have not had a chance to install whatever it is in the link you sent me JayD (can't do it at work!) and have been feeling like I am so not ready for this. I have never drawn or painted people.
It is coming into a very busy time for me right now at my day job (mortgages) and my evening and weekend job (painting!). My shows start on the 19th of this month - yikes! I may not post for awhile here but I will work up the courage to do the basic form from the book to start anyway.
Bon, You should be teaching us! Do you start with the shapes and measure the height by the head maesurement X 8? How do you get the arms and legs to look like arms and legs and not like cylinders? Elbows, knees, etc? I don't know where to start. I had thought maybe we would do faces first. :rolleyes: Whole entire bodies is a scary overwhelming project for me!
OK, I'm done whining now - thank you for listening - I always have to get it out of the way. :D
Barbara

SILKNSATIN
03-09-2005, 11:07 AM
Very good work all :clap: :clap:
on the male I did!He has an odd shape.We use to call him clyde lol you know that arangatang in the movie with clint eastwood?.

mothsailor
03-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Dave, did you actually go to the site Judi posted for the male dancers? :evil: This one. (http://www.rlephoto.com/odes/damsels/dancer_mystery/) I love their wording, too! "These dancers were old and worn as were most of the males I saw." You really ought to check these old dancers out, Dave. :wink2: And I love Fred's pic! He reminds me soooo much of my Grandfather, who incidentally, immigrated to Canada from Lancastershire.
Deb

Yes, I did check out that site. For some reason, the other site wouldn't open for me...I guess it's been censored!

BTW, I think the county you mean is Lancashire, which is actually where I'm from originally. The county town is called Lancaster.

Cathie Jones
03-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Yes, I did check out that site. For some reason, the other site wouldn't open for me...I guess it's been censored!

BTW, I think the county you mean is Lancashire, which is actually where I'm from originally. The county town is called Lancaster.

Seems we're all related here! My family is from Lancashire also. Of course, they left for the colonies in 1624, so it probably looks a little different now! :evil:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2005/23460-smiley_too_funny.gif

sultry
03-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Hiyas Everyone & Deb hugs great to see ya back &...
The only instruction was "draw what you FEEL, FEEL the energy inside you. Draw that energy." I spent a lot of that class rolling my eyes.
I could imagine you doing that in a "Darma & Greg like setting" ha ha, They have such a easy going hippy style in Yoga don't they?
Thank you Deb, Judi, & Jay my sketch is from my imagination that I did a year ago for a freind who explained she wanted a female figure kneeling with head down. I decided to try doing this again but with the head held up this time and so I looked around and found two photos and brought them together to re do the pic. here is the old one and I can see I have learned alot in this class from how I shaded before to how I rendered this figure. Thought you would be impressed to see how much I improved because of your class Jay. :cat:

Deb I meant to say your male figure looks better than the one I saw in the site. You made him not look so skinny and he has a bod with muscles. :clap:

vasilkadifeli
03-09-2005, 03:51 PM
well, class 14 looks quite funny to me :D... I used the links JayD provided and did the two sketches... one man and one woman... very simple though my sketches are, and they took me only 10 mins each during the work hours :rolleyes:, I have to admit that it was fun drawing them... here they are :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2005/32140-Class_14-_male.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2005/32140-Class_14-_female.jpg

BTW I think that this CD is a great idea and I believe it is extremely useful for artists or at least for students of art classes...

SILKNSATIN
03-09-2005, 05:05 PM
wow everyone is doing awesome :clap: :clap:
Sultry wonder work and I love the blend you did.You did awesome on the legs in both your drawings :clap:
Thought i'd do one in charcoal.
9x12 charcoal pencil.Never did no blending.Just used the side of the pencil to put in the shades.

JayD
03-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Bon--someone here said that you should teach this class and I agree whole heartedly--I would be honored if you would consider stepping in and sharing some of your "Bonnie Tricks" with us on figure drawing--you are an expert.

Any words of wisdom--or SO--just HOW DO you draw? :)

By the way--Bonnie has a demo in the guest lecture area at Artgraphica that you can look at.

SILKNSATIN
03-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Wow im speechless.
So you want me just to make one up outta my head and do it step by step?
Teach?me?noway lol but i can show you how i can make a figure up out of my head.

JayD
03-09-2005, 05:52 PM
do it --the class is yours. :clap:

Judi1957
03-09-2005, 06:06 PM
:clap: :clap: Bon :clap: :clap:
Looking forward to this..Thanks!

Judi1957
03-09-2005, 06:11 PM
JayD, I screwed up. :(
I drew (almost finished) a man in tight tights, he may as well be naked. Sorry. I will finish him, do the female and fantasy figure and if time permits, do a naked male.

Cathie Jones
03-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Yippee . . . Bon, you have a lot to share and we're very happy to have you share it here!!! Your figures are breathtaking. Thank you for helping!! :clap: :clap:

cmwynn
03-09-2005, 06:32 PM
My Internet connection and I are just not on speaking terms at all right now, so I gave up altogether on the pictures in the link. I have a book, a tome really, 976 pages, called DRAWING Master Class. It has a large section on drawing the nude, some photos, some drawings. That is the reference for my sketches (okay, they're not really drawings here) for this lesson. Some charcoal, some graphite, some red conte crayon, one a mish-mash of all three.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2005/29839-Figures1xm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2005/29839-Figures2xm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2005/29839-Figures3xm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2005/29839-Figures4xm.jpg
And only for you, Jay. Believe me, I am really not into fantasy. But here is my Queen Bee
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2005/29839-Queen_Bee.jpbxm.jpg

Judi1957
03-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Hey Dave, Great Fred Astaire pic!

Hey CJ :wave:

Sults, Beautiful work, both of them :clap: :clap:

Vasil-10 minutes?!? :clap:

Connie, you must really enjoy this class :evil: ....how many nudes? :clap: :clap: Love the Queen Bee!

Going to check out Bons Lecture!

Leslie_Ann
03-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Surprise JayD. I saved you for the very last.
First, thank you for respecting my request for "space" after everything(which amounts to nothing in the whole scheme of things) There were a few who did not, and looking back, it does speak volumes to me about your real reason for being here.
Congratulations on becoming a guide. It's great that you've gotten many members drawing. That's what's important.
I might need to communicate with you privately in the coming months if certain things are not laid to rest well, but I hope it is left here where it belongs. And It's kept to art.
You've improved a great deal just from practicing, JayD. Keep up the good work.

Judi1957
03-09-2005, 08:23 PM
I am simply going to ignore the post by LA ahead of me. But I will say this, I find it very rude, (as this person is and has been to some very wonderful people here at WC) to intrude upon our class. OK, so maybe I didn't quite ignore it...I really would like to say more, but will not waste my breath.

Posting my not-so-nude.

JayD
03-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Ok, Basic 101 is a neutral zone. Please respect the comments of others. Art is the topic of this thread--now anymore diversions and I will sentence you all to a week a drawing happy faced clowns! :D

Judi, WOW--look at the motion in that figure--you can see the tension. I lie the lights and darks--the theatre department in college used to be across from the Dance theatre and we used to go over there to co work (tech stuff such as lighting) and we got to see a lot of these dancer warm up--incredible athletes!

Connie, you have a really loose sketch style that I like a lot--I hope that you are gong to check into a life drawing class at some point--also, pay attention to the proportions (one of my bugs to work out in my drawings) and look for a center line and see if you can find each drawings center of gravity (for example the pelvis or the legs or the chest etc..).

Vasil--try to escape the need for line and let your pencil flow loose and free--you this on still life with an incredible passion--I would like you to do an excercise--use any hand position BUT the pencil and I would like you to redraw ONE of these lovely people using only the SIDE of your pencil. Let us know how it feels.

SILKNSATIN
03-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Well im a bit flattered and nervous because I have no schooling in learning how to draw the human figure.But here goes lol
Starting out with just a 2b pencil and drawing lightly to get a basis on what i'm doing.I always start out on the form of the head first.This will give me an idea how large the body will have to be.
I do a bit of a sketchy form to see how I want the body to pose.Then I shape it more and darker with 4b pencil.This is only a 9x12 so in order for the whole body to fit I start in the middle close to the top.The head will be about 1 1/4 inches from chin to top of head.I'm kinda doing a backside twist sketch.It's a pose a bit new to me to try to lol.But good thing about the mind it can seeing life in any pose or form.I'm doing the backside ways because it's less detailed.
If you measure the arms in the front you can make the top leg in same length from the knee to the hip.From knee to heel just make it about an inch shorter.The right arm & leg towards the back is about an inch shorter then the front so you can give it a kinda higher balance.
I'm doing this in inches because there's only about 3 measurements that I can uses thats an easy way to draw the human body.The front head is about the same size as the foot.From chin to the top of the head.
So thats how I do the figure from my imagination.
I'm going to finish this with charcoal pencil and blending in the shades using my pencil sideways.No Qtip,stump or finger blending lol.
The final picture is taken with my camera not scanner.

Judi1957
03-09-2005, 09:31 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANN!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
03-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Bon,
Great demo! Thank-you!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

sultry
03-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Bon,
Great demo! Thank-you!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I 2nd that !!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
edited to add.... Way to go on the nude figures Connie :clap: :clap: Great bumble bee too :cat:

sultry
03-09-2005, 09:43 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANN!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hey Ann I 2nd this too

JayD
03-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Bon--now here comes the teachy part--you get to look at everyone's drawing and advise them on taking measurable improvement. :evil:

I think the entire class would love your input. I know I would. Besides, we're doing Bon-Voyage next week so you have to help prepare the troops!!! :D

idcrisis55
03-09-2005, 09:49 PM
I am so enjoying this lesson thread and everyone's hard work. Bon, this is great that you are going to give some lessons too! You make it look so easy but I know it is isn't.

Judi, love the muscles in your ballet dancer. P.s. Your welcome for the pdf :)

Connie, I enjoyed all of your poses very much. It is a challenge isn't it.

Nice work on your Sultry.

Vasil, nice job for 10 min. drawings. I couldn't do that well in an hour :(

Hey Deb, happy to see you drawing again. Nice figure work there.

Jay, you sent the link, but I couldn't get the images to open for some reason. Just got the little box with the red x in it. Is there a trick to this or something?

I hope I haven't missed anyone's work.

Ann

JayD
03-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Ann--Happy Birthday!!!!

If you are seeing the x in the box you are missing the plugin for Quicktime--you need to download quicktime to your system--now, Mario should have it on his site--if not you can get it at

http://www.apple.com

or if you are afraid of being infected by Ipods go to:

http://www.download.com which is run by CNET--you can search by operating system for this free software.

idcrisis55
03-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Hey you Guys (and Girls), thanks all for the Birthday wishes. What a shock to see a post come through the mail by Judi with that message.

Jay, thanks for the link and info. That must be the reason and I'll check that out in the morning. Congrats BTW on becoming a WC Guide. You will be a really good one :) I've been quickly reading through the reference links and trying to check everything out. I did a quick sketch but won't share it because it makes even me groan with horror.

Bon, I really enjoyed your demo. I have to reread it to make sure I'm understanding it correctly lol.

Keeping all the measurements of how many heads equal a leg, gets to be a bit much for this foggy brain. I'll have to print it out for easy reference lol.

Hugs you all, & thanks :)

Ann

SILKNSATIN
03-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Ann happy birthday :clap:
I did good not replying to umm LA lol
Slaps fingers :D

Cathie Jones
03-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Wow! You guys have really taken to this lesson. I will finally have a chance tonight to give it a try.

Connie, I can't believe you got all of that done! I think some of the proportions could be fixed, but other than that they're very good.

BON - thanks a million for the demo - it's great! I had thought I'd start with the head, because something I read uses the head measurement as a guide for all other measurements. Glad to see you do it that way. bows to the master . . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2005/23460-smiley_bow.gif

ANN - can you send me the pdf so I can post it on my web site? And . . .
!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2005/23460-birthday_cake_confetti.gif

I have some laundry and ironing to do, with drawing in between, so I'll get out of here and get started. Where does the time go? It's already almost 8pm! See ya . . . . . :wave:

SILKNSATIN
03-09-2005, 11:05 PM
GGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE
Well ok here goes. :(
JayD Fist drawing-the right leg crossed over which should make the right cheek of the torso come down more.Second drawing-He needs more shoulder,heads to small and he has to much of a female frame.

Mothsailor-Wow 5mins?good in such a short time.Your right side needs to come in more and the legs are to short.

Sultry-Very nice blending of the body.Her left nipple seems to be way over to the side?if so then her right nipple shouldn't even be showing.The lower arm seems a tad to thin.

Deb-Very nice indeed.The left cheek should be showing more.

Sultry again very nice blending technic and love this pose.The back of the head to the neck seems to bother me.Maybe it needs curved in a bit more?

Vasilkadifeli-The male needs more of his right cheek showing and the legs seem a bit short.

Cmwynn-Wow so many and very nice poses.The 3rd female needs her right side a bit fuller.The fairies arms are to short.

Judi well umm umm she's beautiful.

Now i feel like LA lol
Strike that last comment
One thing about the human body is that we all have a bit different shapes,heights,color and that is what makes our bodies so interesting and beautiful.
Now on that note!
JAYD WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME LOLOL

sultry
03-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Bon ty for the C&C I am going to pm you my ref pic for the first drawing. You will see why I rendered it that way. Only thing I changed from photo is arm postions.
I agree on the 2nd one, since it was from imagination I did not have anything to go by. :cat:

JayD
03-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Bonnie, this IS your class the rest of the week--Good job on the c&c's--Yeah, my demo drawing needed some work--drawing on a deadline is a bear.

Make sure you have fun with this class when you teach it--I have 16 more of these to write not counting the new special interest ones that I keep adding.

These guys here are a great bunch of people artist-type people types and they will do you proud. Let her RIPPPPPPP!

SILKNSATIN
03-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Wow sultry amazing job from your imagination. :clap: The legs are fantastic.I didn't know it was from your imagination and i sure am sorry for over looking that.

sultry
03-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Gee ty Bon back then I did not use the measurements as I learned now. :) The 2nd drawing is probably all measured wrong lol.
I tried to measure the first drawing tho. Bon it is good to have you C&C our work because it shows us what you see and we will learn to see. ty for the pms hugs
Well nite A/all I will not be here tomorrow, going to babysit the twins tomorrow. :)

idcrisis55
03-10-2005, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the Birthday wishes Bon and Cathie!

Cathie, I sent you an e-mail with the pdf attached. BTW, for everyone that doesn't know, the pdf can easily be saved to your hard drive,when the pdf opens, simply by clicking the blue icon that looks like a floppy disc :)

Have a great day everyone!

Ann

Cathie Jones
03-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks, Ann - I got the pdf and will remember in the future how to save a copy.

mothsailor
03-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Belated Happy Birthday, Ann! And thanks for providing us with pdfs of the classes...I save mine every week! :angel:

SILKNSATIN
03-10-2005, 09:19 AM
I can see the many wonderful own unique style in all of you :clap:
Whats so great about drawing is it comes from the joy of it first of all.
If your not in the right mood or if it's something your not very interested in,I give us all aa big hand for giving things a try that we would have never attempted without this thread JayD has formed.I still look back in some of them and get tips and i'm always amazed at different technics from others and the fun you all put into this.This thread is one of the most relaxing,friendliest threads i've had the pleasure of joining.
And JayD a big pat of the back for you for not only thinking of this and spending so much of your time to make a go at it but also for being a part of learning at it to.Drawing and sketching is where is all begins :clap:

bjcpaints
03-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Bonnie, Thank you so much for contributing here - especially your explanations on figure drawing. I find it easy to follow what you are saying. Sometimes books are not describing things they way we would naturally think.
Barbara

sultry
03-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Hi Barb,
Ok everyone, Since this class is on the male figure too, I just asked Bon to do the male figure demo just like she did the female. As Loomis points out the male porportions are different then the female, so I would like to see Bon's way on handling this, because she makes it easier to understand then Loomis's method. She said she would do it if we want her to, so I do, how about the rest of you?

mhimeswc
03-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Here is my female figure. I had trouble drawing while looking at the screen, and I couldn't print a usable copy. Also couldn't figure out how to turn the figures.

I had some trouble with the breasts. I couldn't get them to look even. She looks a little off balance, and I think I also made her legs to heavy, and I won't even talk about the hands/fingers.

I will try the male figure tonight or tomorrow. I'd like to be able to turn him a little first.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2005/20035-Female.jpg

sultry
03-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Michelle that is great, to turn them you place your mouse curser up on the upper right or left hand corner till you see a black arrow. I registered and was able to get a bigger picture of the model but I did not use it yet.

SILKNSATIN
03-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Sultry your a stinker lol
Michelle this is very good.Only the breasts and yes the left legs needs a touch up.The breasts seem like silicone breasts.Maybe if you brang the nipples down a tad?.I see you are trying to make the left legs look more towards the back.If you add some darker shades to it then this might help.But all in all i think it's great :clap:

SILKNSATIN
03-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Here's a few older drawings I did on males.Yaya even my mickeymouse skin deep lol

Mary Woodul
03-10-2005, 06:35 PM
I am so behind now, that I will comment on all of the wonderful drawings you guys have done and your very good demo, Bon,when I post the female drawing. Too bad I hadn't seen it before, although I haven't done the female so I will work on her with your Demos.

Ann, Happy Birthday!!! I send you a big hug.

I got so lost with my drawing that I ended up without measuring and it is probably terribly out of proportion and way to heavy. :crying: I'll start working on the female.

sultry
03-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Hugsss Mary, there you are :), Judi & I were just saying last night wheres Mary??? lol
Nice shading on the stud & I see you did some forshortening on his legs and his head is looking down. Cool Job :)
Ok, I am going to post the prelim sketch of my male figure, He is only half a man :( because I drew him way to big & ref pic was only this. I will do another later on as a full figure one as soon as I sneak a pic of bf. lol :evil:
just kidding ha ha, no as soon as I find one in a certain pose I am looking for.
This is in 4H so it maybe too light to see.

Cool Bon, I remember these guys but I am hoping you will be posting a male demo too. :cat: yeah I am a stinker (infact BF other name for me is BRAT)just ask Judi (inserts shrugging smiley here)

Mary Woodul
03-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Thank you Sultry, same to you. You are so good with the human figure. I love the seated female figure, it is so natural and your shading is very good.

Judi, I think you did fantastically with your dancer, wow, you also have a gift for the human figure.

I have been so busy because my future daughter in law asked me to help her interior decorate her new home, which I am doing cautiously because I have never wanted to impose myself on my DIL. :eek:

I'm working on my female figure but I do find it tricky to work from the screen, I seem to lose the perception of the size and proportions.

Great work, everyone! :D :wave:

Judi1957
03-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Evening All,

I'm falling behind again....oh well.

Thanks for the compliments JayD, Ann, Bon and Mary. :wave:

Mary, sounds like your future DIL wants you to help, have fun!

Hey Barb and Dave:wave:

Michelle, great job! :clap: Will be anxious to see the final. The hands...I cannot wait for that class!

Bon, Those are great! :clap: :clap: I remember the Micky Mouse thread...Ha-ha-ha-that was a hoot!

SILKNSATIN
03-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Mary and sultry very nice :clap:
Well It took me awhile to get this mans pose right.Had him in my head but just kept scribbling him down worng on paper.Nohting wrong with scribbling once in awhile but almost scribbled a whole through the sheet of paper lol.I tried to scan and take a snap shot of the light scrible I had but it wasn't even good enough to show.Only a few lines would show up grr.Too much glare from flash or to much brightness from scanner.So with the pose down here is 3 steps how I did this male.First of all the male is close in form to the female.Males and females come in so many shapes and sizes.Some have very long legs,long arms short legs lol long necks short necks,some men have an hour glass shape as a woman and some women are built like a man.Soo with the male I just made his arms a tad longer and stronger looking,his chest more wide,his mid section not as curved and his legs longer and more muscular.Does this drawing pass as a male?.Last I did him in chacaol pencil like I did the female.

Judi1957
03-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Mary, That is a great job on 'stud man' LOL. I don't think he is too heavy, just a variation from the ref...how many guys (or gals) besides all of us-LOL, look like the spinning guy and gal in the link? Bon made a point to say that about how we all vary. I think his legs are a tad short, but the shading on his upper back is wonderful! :clap: :clap:

Sults, great job too :clap: :clap: ....so that is honey buns! :evil:
I think his legs, where they meet the honey buns could be a bit thicker.
Maybe you should post the ref :evil: :evil: :D

Fireman's kid
03-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Wow, this thread has gotten away from me. I was keeping up for the first day or two, but then started spending some time painting so I wasn't checking regular. And now I don't have time to reply to everyone because hubby is already in bed and I have to get up earlier than normal tomorrow. So I will just have to say you are all doing a great job. I am especially impressed by anyone who can do this without a reference. With a reference is difficult enough!

I did my first drawing tonight. This is of a female (I'm pretty sure :rolleyes: ). I worked from a sketch in the Anatomy for the Artist book by Jeno Barcsay. It was a very loose sketch so I decided to keep it that way. The reference used more of a cross hatching method to shade but I decided to blend in my drawing. And honest, I didn't cheat by not detailing the head! This is how it was in the reference.

I did the sketch with a charcoal pencil on paper from my Bienfang drawing pad. Blended with a long handled Q-tip. The sketch took roughly 30 to 45 minutes while I was watching HGTV. :D

I hope to do the male drawing this weekend, but I will be away from the computer from tomorrow late morning until Sunday afternoon. If I get it done I will post late on Sunday.

Have a great weekend everyone! :)
Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday Ann!! :clap: :clap:

SILKNSATIN
03-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Stacy this is very good and I notice that you was doing a foreshortening and it's very noticable :clap: .Maybe if you even darkened the leg a bit more then that foreshortening of the right leg would really stand out ;)

SILKNSATIN
03-10-2005, 11:51 PM
I was just sitting here looking over all your human figures.
You all are wonderful and good drawings.Don't be shy on the legs :D
LIFT,STREEETCH,BEND,gee im getting worn out here teehee.OOps I was just typing it?not doing it?How silly of me :p .
Deb u,, c'mon gf waiting on that female ;)
mothsailor well um where's that male ;) mhimeswc and firemanskid give ya a bit of time on your males cause you just got here :wave:
I know judi and mlelevier will be sneeking theirs in on me :p
cathie and bicpaints-very excited to see what ya's come up with. :wave:
If you are not use to drawing the human form?.It might be best not to try any hard poses like foreshortening.Them can get very tricky and confusing.Just a easy female/male form and don't worry about trying to get perfect on their hands,feet or face that much. :wave:

Judi1957
03-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Hey Bon! :wave:
You are amazing.... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

just how did you learn all this...observance or a particular book you can recommend?

I have to agree with Stacey...those of you that can do this without a ref....Kudos!!!!

SILKNSATIN
03-11-2005, 12:34 AM
I drew off in on in my own little world never looking at refernces before and never seen an art book.It's hard to explain.I was always so amazed watching my dad with his hands.He use to sit on the weekends on the front porch with a piece of wood or a handful of old grey clay he would bring home from his job.There were 7 of us kids,My bother and i was the only ones interested in watching him and would sit for hours enjoying it.He would carve little animals,people or cartoon characters with an old short knife he'd steel from ma's kitchen behind her back lol.With clay he would do the same but fold it up and form another form.I'd say since age 5 I have sat with pencil or paints trying things from my head.I can still remember when i was about 6 or 7 asking my dad what is wrong with this female im drawing?he looked and said humans have necks lol.I put it aside for so many years but knew there was a desire within me that was about to burst.Now my kids are grown and I started doing what I really love most in life.OH OH ya I almost forgot lol when I was in 4th grade I won the best artist contest from all the schools in iowa.I was so nervous I got sick when it came to going to the big night to eccept my award lol I didn't attend and my mom had to bring it home to me lol.up chucked for 3 days lol.

Deb Leger
03-11-2005, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the cheeky tip, Bon and for doing your demo's. It really helps to see how someone as good as you progresses through a drawing! Especially for those of us who have a difficult time knowing where to start.

I've worked at the male's cheeks and also some darker shading in there. Now that I've scanned it in, I can see that one side is a bit flat now. (He must have been sitting too long, do you think? :D ) I also worked at his neck. I've been studying your demos to figure out where I go from this sketch now to turn it into a drawing. Do I start a new one without the sketching lines, or do I just work at this one? If I worked at this one, I'd have a heck of a lot of sketching lines to erase. :D I also think I made his legs too short for the torso.

I've started working on the female and have it mapped out like De Reyna's book shows. I couldn't get online last night, (my kids were battling monsters and saving the world) so I used the sketch that De Reyna did on page 97. When I did the male, I just drew it. (And subsequently ran out of space at his head - a common problem for me if I don't map somehting out.) When doing the female, I followed Jay's suggestion and used De Reyna's cylinder/shape method. Lo and behold, I have lots of space left! :D :D Anyways, my question is this - before I go farther, I wanted to ask if I have the lengths right for her legs, etc. When looking at it, I keep thinking that it's wrong, but when I look at De Reyna's mapped out one, it looks pretty close.

Deb

PS - if you don't have the book, Bon, I can pm you a scan of the pic from the book.

PSS - sorry for the terrible scan of the female!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2005/11775-2.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2005/11775-3.JPG

mothsailor
03-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Here's another female figure, this time spent a bit more time on it!

Thanks for all your input, Bon, very much appreciated. I will do a male figure too, promise!

Mary Woodul
03-11-2005, 07:50 AM
Good morning everyone! Have to run today to a Grandparent's Festival. I think I will be the only grandparent available for my 6 year old grandson and then he is going to spend the day with us.

Bon thank you for the work you are putting into this for us and I can see the love you have for art. Your story about your Dad is beautiful and I think that is the way great artists are formed.

I feel the same as Deb about the legs in my male drawing being too short and I was trying the female but like Michelle's the breast do not look natural, because I think the models breasts are not natural. I don't know if I am allowed to copy a drawing form a Drawing magazine and mention the artist. That way I can do it away from my computer and post it by tomorrow. :confused:

Dave, your drawing looks just great.
Stacey, your drawing is very nice, you put in a lot character.

vasilkadifeli
03-11-2005, 07:57 AM
Judi + Ann, yes 10 mins each but what I did was just to do some quick sketces that's all...

Ann I missed the good wishes for your birthday... :music: Happy Belated Birthday to You :music:...

JayD yes you are right, and I have to do them properly again... but started and finished also a portrait for the Watercolor March Class on Portraits, and went out three evenings this week... so I haven't been at home much .rolleyes:...

Bon wonderful drawings and great demos... you are also right about the length of legs... it is short also on the female... these were actually mu second sketches and have been able to manage better in the second one... I don't know why I am tempted in drawing the legs so short... I have to use some measure...

Sultry you do so well...

Connie I liked your sketches and drawings...

Michelle your female nude is wonderful...

Mary your male figure looks pretty good, it's only the legs that are short a bit... like in the sketches I did...

Deb and David yours are good too... Deb I think the legs are a bit short as in mine ;)

bjcpaints
03-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Does this drawing pass as a male?.

Oh yeah. :) Sorry, I couldn't resist. Gee, You wouldn't think an old lady like me would be the one twittering in figure class. :D

My fantasy drawing came to my mind and now I am getting motivated to try to draw some humans. I am going to stick with the simple DeReyna models to start. I have so many projects going on right now its crazy. I do find that the more I have going on; the more creative ideas keep popping in my head. The down side of this is that my list keeps growing faster than I can finish projects. Darn job - my father was probably right - he said "It's just as easy to fall in love with a rich man as it is a poor one".
OK Sorry top get off topic. Everyone is doing so well with their drawings that it is encouraging me to try.
Dave, I couldn't help but notice your newest female's hips look too narrow - reminded me of myself. LOL Hope you don't mind a comment from someone who couldn't do half as well!
Bon - You are really helping us out and it was so nice to hear about your art experiences as a kid! It is so great that your Dad was your mentor.
Barbara

JayD
03-11-2005, 09:39 AM
I am generally staying in the background to give some room Bon but I thought I would pop in and drop off this link that will better explain human proportions--you might find it enlightening:

http://www.mauigateway.com/~donjusko/human.htm

Deb Leger
03-11-2005, 10:02 AM
Dave, really good job on your latest!!! Especially the legs and feet. (And I stand corrected on Lancashire! Hi Cathy! Maybe our relatives were neighbours. :) )

Stacey, looks female to me! Very nice! (I don't put much detail in the heads either, but will have to start.)

Bon, he definitely passes as a male. Your older guys are great too. I really love the legs and feet on that first one you posted, the one who is sitting cross-legged and has a hand on one of his legs.

Michelle, you did a great job, especially on her hair. I think, like others have mentioned, that if her nipples were much lower, it'd look more natural. In De Reyna's book, he mentions that lines of sharp delineation bring out areas like clavicles, knees and elbows - areas where the bones come close to the skin's surface. For softer areas, such as breasts and thighs, he uses softer transitions and shading instead. So, maybe if the lines were softer around her breasts? That's just me thinking aloud, by the way. Feel free to ignore it! :D

Nice job, Mary! We were 'drawn' to almost the same pose. But like mine, maybe his legs are a bit short? (I'm going to have to study male legs more closely for lengths compared to torsos. Better be careful at work though, it could get embarrassing!)

Sultry, good job! Is this really your bf? Your female studies are great, too! I like the one with the long hair best.

Vasil, love your drawings! I agree that it's fun drawing them. (Once you get over the initial fear of drawing the human form! I dreaded it but once I got started, realized it wasn't as hard as I thought all these years.) And yes, these CD's are a great idea!! You can get some pretty strange looks if you ask someone to pose nude. I think I'll order it! Ten minutes for your sketches is awesome!

Wow Connie, you've been busy and have some great sketches! That book sounds awesome - almost 1,000 pages of drawing info!!)

Judi, when you first mentioned a man in tight tights, my first thought was that you were drawing Superman! Love the one you drew, though! Your legwork is great and those pointing toes - wow!!!

Deb

Deb Leger
03-11-2005, 10:04 AM
I am generally staying in the background to give some room Bon but I thought I would pop in and drop off this link that will better explain human proportions--you might find it enlightening:

http://www.mauigateway.com/~donjusko/human.htm

Wow, thanks Jay! I'm going to save all this info!

Gotta run to work now. I'm late.

Deb

SILKNSATIN
03-11-2005, 11:16 AM
JayD thank you,I'm going to go check it out.Bout time I learn different ways of tackling the human form.
Dave :clap: :clap: :clap:
Deb your coming along fantastic :clap: .If ya don't feel like starting again just lightly erase some of the darker line.
bjcpaints umm old?gee your not old lol and plus the mind never gets over 29 teehee.Whoohoo glad to see ya can't shut that fantasy imagination off :D .Can't wait to see what comes out of it. :wave:
Wow you all seem to be finding so many studies on the human form.Each of us has our own style how we do things and thats great and what makes us all unique.Try what ever interests you or is more understanding and what ever makes you feel comfortable in ways of doing it.Lines,circles,scribles are all means of tackling objects to get the basics of what your trying to create.
You will find that if your in a good drawing mood it makes it way better for your piece and not as frustrating.It's very hard to keep your mind focused or creative if your mood isn't there or if it's something not of your interest.

Judi1957
03-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Afternoon all! :wave:

Stacey, nice job! :clap: I agree w/ Mary, lot's of character, like Connie's.

Bon, That was interesting reading your history. I'll bet you are still one of the best in Iowa! :clap:

Deb, nice job and ty! Great mapping job! :clap:

Barb ,looking forward to your drawings!

Dave, I like the female, maybe some more shading and blending. Wow-are 'those' firm looking, she is definatley under 40!

Hi Vasil :wave:

JayD, :wave: That is the web page I was reviewing and decided to draw it based on the verbage, got 3/4 way thru it then you posted the lesson and said no need do the head thing and I stopped, but I do think I will finish it, good exercise.

cmwynn
03-11-2005, 04:36 PM
You're all doing so well, I hate to criticize. But I am waiting to see the fantasy creatures! When I read that Jay is going to have us concentrate on them altogether next week, I immediately tried to find some excuse to be away. Maybe it's because that depends on using your imagination. That is hard for me, so maybe I need to make myself work at it (not at all what Bon is saying, is it?) I don't chose to read fantasy books, so don't have much background in this subject.

sultry
03-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Connie, I think imagination is something artists can thrive on. Why do I say that? Because an artist can create their own world with any medium they choose. They have full domain over what should be and what should not be in their world.
When you think of what makes you happy or makes you feel good to only you, Connie. That particular thing can be basis of your imaginary fantasy character. From there you can build up the structure of your fantasy, just with the far out thoughts you may of had in a dream or even a day dream.
Go back in time to when you were a little girl and try to think of what you liked to make believe about. Children do not have boundries of what should be or is supposed to be, they love to just imagine it is. Have you ever looked at something and wondered what could happen if it did something it is not supposed to do?
Fantasy does not mean you have to have a great imagination. It only means to drift off from the real world and just let your thoughts go into what could be if we could..... for instance if we could fly on our own. If we could swim in the sea underwater without scuba gear. If we could run as fast as a car. If we could turn things upside down with our eyes. If we could magically glow. If we could zap into space. It is only what we ourselves would like to see in our own lil world.
Soo, Connie lets play pretend....in class 15. :cat:
Your bee was great by the way. :)

Hey you all are doing a great job on your figures.
Deb, lol no its not him (only the eyes).

SILKNSATIN
03-11-2005, 05:23 PM
cmwynn
Hun I don't think i've ever read fantasy books.Was always a dreamer and watched alot of TV lol.
BUT!We all have an imagination or we couldn't create.Fantasy does not need to be of dragons,fairies ect...Tell me you never had wierd dreams?.
Using "FANTASY" so we can find a way to bring out our ability of our imagination.To see from out our minds,soul,our dreams,the pictures stored in us.It could be a bottle someone drew with a person inside it with their hand busting out of it,like you been bottled up all your life and now able to break through lol.I'm not that good at explaining lol.It helps us not have to try to look up what we are trying to draw but to create it from things we have seen or learned in our years of growing and seeing.This is a test just like setting an object you don't really wanna draw but should because it's part of your development.Like JayD lol He doesn't care to draw the nude human figure but he knew he should to learn something from the experience.or maybe nothing at all?lol.Some go through life learning from books,some from schooling,some from others of better knowlege and some by just looking at things and some by their imagination that they have learned and created through their lifes growing.Some artists only use what they can create from their minds,some only use what they can see with their eyes.

Judi1957
03-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Evening All :wave:

Not super happy with this. Had major problems with the breasts and the leg on the underside. Redid that leg at least a half a dozen times. :( I was much happier with the male. I probably should spend more time with the skin tones, but I'll wait for the C & C.

sultry
03-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Hey Judi she is cute and I think you have the porportions in order. Skin looks ok, just need to use the kneaded eraser to pull out the highlights is all.
Under her breasts you can give a hint of an outline of the rib cage. I am not sure what ref pic you used but just take a look at the out line under the breasts and see if there is a little bulge where the rib is.

SILKNSATIN
03-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Ya Judi what sultry said ;)
Sultry I think we was typing at same time earlier lol crossed typed lol
Didn't see your reply to connie til now.Sorry :(

Deb Leger
03-12-2005, 03:11 AM
Here's what I've done from the mapping out sketch I did earlier. (And that mapping out REALLY helps you draw figures!!! This one was so much easier than the male because of all those cylinders and shapes I'd done first.)

Her hand looks like a clawed paw from an alien - I need to work on hands! :D

Oh and I wanted to mention that I've been trying to register several times with the site for our poses (*the* link) and was getting a strange error message. I wrote to the author this morning and he's already answered me and taken care of it! Great service! I'm definitely ordering the cd from amazon.ca. Funny thing - at work today, I asked a few co-workers if they'd like to pose nude for some artwork. They looked at me as though I'd finally lost it. :evil: So I definitely need that cd! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2005/11775-6.JPG

idcrisis55
03-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Hi Cathie, glad you got the pdf :) Deb said she would take over again doing them :)

Dave, thanks for the Birthday wishes and you're quite welcome for the pdf's. They will be nice to have for future reference and refresher work too won't they.

Michelle, nice work on the figure. I especially like her hair. You are getting the shapes in there, I have no doubt you will succeed at getting them to where you are happy with the way they look. :)

Bon, I am really enjoying your comments, suggestions and your drawings. I loved the mickey mouse :) I so enjoyed your story about watching your dad. That is a painting or a drawing waiting to happen and I would love to see you bring to life.

Hi Mary, thanks for the hug and the wishes :) I really enjoyed the feeling of mass in your drawing and great shading. One can feel the weight of the man in this one and I like it.

Hi Sultry, that is a good pose you have going of the male. It is a little hard to see but the shapes are looking good to me.

Hi Stacy, thank you and a Happy Belated Birthday to you :D I like your drawing too, the way you showed the ripples and the thickness of the figure in areas.

Hey Deb, nice work on the male figure and I like how you started with the cylinders/shapes on the female.

Dave nice work on that figure and the foreshortening of the legs. The feet almost look like you were drawing from the inside out. Nice job.

Hi Vasil, I sure enjoyed those 10 minute sketches. :) Thanks for the Birthday wishes too.

Hi Barbara, you are so right when you said everyone's drawing is encouraging and it sure makes me want to get the pencil out too. I'm sitting in a room full of chaos as I am rearranging my work area but I think I will just ignore it for awhile lol.

Hi Jay, I'll look at that link as soon as I get this post written. Thanks for posting it!

Judi, I really like your pose. To my inexperienced eye the legs look great. The only area I see that kind of bothers me is the neck to shoulder area. I think because of her position a bit more shadow or definition of the collarbone area would clarify why her muscles looked raised or rounded. I may not be explaining this well and wonder what you think?

Deb, again your female drawing I like. I have a question about her lower right leg, would it look that long and narrow? I really don't know so am asking :)

I have to find my drawing stuff and then you all can chuckle but this lesson is one of the main reasons I started this drawing class. I know I'm behind on the others but hope you don't mind if I start here again :)

Y'all have a wonderful day and so enjoyed reading the thread and see your work!!!

Ann

Mary Woodul
03-12-2005, 08:07 AM
Good morning everyone! :wave: This has been a very busy week for me and I haven't worked on these drawings as I would have liked to and I'm off to the ranch right now, so I'll post my female drawing as a WIP, because I can't work on her out there since I don't have Internet connection. I'll take a pad and try some fantasy and see what happens. :eek:

Thank you all for your comments and again I am sorry for not commenting on all of your interesting and good work, but I have to run.

JayD, that is a very helpful link you posted. Thank you!

Ann and Deb, it is so good to see you both around, hugs and take care. :D

Bon, again, thank you for your help and expertise. You are and outstanding artist. :D :wave:

Judi1957
03-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the C & C Sults, Bon and Ann. I really dislike her more today than yesterday. I am either going to further develope her w/ the C & C or start over.

Deb, :clap: :clap: :clap: That is wonderful!

Mary, good WIP! :clap: :clap: Good luck on the fantasy... :wink2: ...I still am undecided.

SILKNSATIN
03-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Judy,Deb,mary RAH RAH RAH.Outstanding :clap:
Give yourselves a big pat on back. ;)
Ann WB i'm about 10 classes behind lol
Wow I never thought about sitting down and bringing that memory to life.That memory is so special though it would take me months to finish lol,but I just might do it some day.Thank you :wave:

sultry
03-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Wow Deb that is fantastic~!!!! KAV!!!
Mary I agree with Judi & Bon great job :) wonder what your fantasy is too.

Hi Ann, I am glad your back too, hey I completely skipped last class :( I will be doing it later on tho.

Bon I enjoyed your Dad story too. :) See I told you we are alike in so many ways just like Judi & I. I too, was inspired by my Dad with art, only not because he was an artist but because he collected art and explained it to me. I was always intrigued with his paintings and drawings he bought. He told me the reason they appealed to him and they would speak wonders to me, which always made me wish I could create something he would one day like just as much as he liked them. lol silly me.
Judi I like her just do a little touch up here & there with everyone's C&C and you will find you will like her too. :) Ok, Judi I got your pm....
LOL---HUNK-E-dory! Dare you to post it in Class, for the male chest study!
I am not sure I can post chippendales crew here on a public fora. I would have to cut out faces I think. Your daring me?????? hmmmmm

bjcpaints
03-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Judy,Deb,mary RAH RAH RAH.Outstanding :clap:
Give yourselves a big pat on back.

I agree! Hi everyone, The dogs got me up an hour early today (5 am!) and the WDE pics up not up till this afternoon so..... I worked on my very first people! They are very shy people however, hence the fig leaves. LOL I just am not ready to draw detailed FFN (full frontal nudity). These are NOT my fantasy drawings - those will come later. The guy is so shy here about his nudity, that he wore his dark glasses. :D I would like to say that my De Reyna book (copyright 1972) has no nude male - only a nude female. My DH refused to pose - said its too cold. I don't blame him as we are in the 3rd snowstorm this week - you just can't imagine how much snow we get here - well maybe Deb can. Anyway here they are - prelim drawings - I see i didn't erase the guidelines in some of the joints, etc. but at least I can say that I have drawn people now. Clothing, may be a different matter altogether....

SILKNSATIN
03-12-2005, 11:14 AM
bjcpaints you have me rolling on floor lol :p
Nice leafs and very nice human forms.
Dang I forgot us humans were born with cloths on lol.
I loved your sense of humor you brang with your characters though. :D
Bravoooooooo

bjcpaints
03-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks Bonnie, and thanks for making this a fun lesson. I am off to do my fantasy figures - male and female!
Barbara

Judi1957
03-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Barb, Ha-ha-ha...LOVE the sunglasses and fig leaves! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bon, worked on this a bit more and I think the paper is about shot. I don't think I will ever be happy with this. Going to get an anatomy drawing book!

sultry
03-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Barb I agree with Bon & Judi and you did well on your figures too.
Judi I like the improvements and if paper is shot, just transfer her to a new sheet.
Sultry I think we was typing at same time earlier lol crossed typed lol
Didn't see your reply to connie til now.Sorry
You are showing more detail and it is a shame to stop on her.
Sorry Bon, meant to comment on this, its ok, we are always x-posting on ea other in class., hugs, sults

Judi1957
03-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Sults, no more time for her, sorry. I have my fantasy to do yet but more importantly, I need to finish a commission by the 27th. :(

JayD
03-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Hi Guys--hope you are enjoying the forum thread for this week. I know that I am. Sometimes it is just better to just sit back and listen to the teach--so being silent is working well for me this week.

Connie--while I agree with what everyone says, in priniciple, let me say this that as a writer of short storys, poems an plays i gave up on trying to FORCE my imagination so I have a source formula that I use to sort of get myself going--reading fantasy books are ok but you are tapping into someone else's source when you have perfectly good resources yourself.

1. your dreams (keep a dream journal--I do)

2. composite real world images (look a the Egyptians)

3. local legends and tall talls

4. myths

5. Stories from your cultural background (I am Irish for example--someone who is hispanic might draw from mayan and aztec myth for their images)

Connie, if that does not work let's try an excercise from the Alexander Technique and the excercise of the Hear and Now.

Make sure you are completely alone (unless you like padded rooms) an then lay down in the middle of your floor with your arms and legs sprea out and your eyes closed. Start with a Mantra that you repeat over and over in your head and that Mantra is "hear and now...hear and now...hear and now....)

Next start with your feet and mentally strart relaxing EVERY muscle in your boy and work up though your entire body. Once you are totally relaxed--let your mind float and just see where it takes you. If you float into everyday things like planning your menus or groceries--float right back out--pick a subject and visualize the story in your head--its like watching television--when you come out of this record your thoughts and look for images that you can translate onto paper. Remember that imagination is not only Gnomes and Fairies--it is a breeze, a cloud, a woman sitting in a field of wheat facing a house--a moment of anything.

Imagination is the sky touching the ground or ground looking up a the sky--it is a bowl of cherries--lawnmower grass--a bee loose in the hot sunday church--it is monsters, gnomes, fairies, ogres--it is walter Mitty, it is sponges, lightbulbs and a carton of milk.

Trust me if you apply this technique, it will work for you.

Lastly, and this sounds childish--but when you go to bed at night or when you are standing in a shower--work out story lines --they can be silly, serious or practical--this WILL work!

bjcpaints
03-12-2005, 03:33 PM
OK Here is my fantasy drawing. My sincerest apologies to Kevin Sorbo, who was my inspiration for this. I had commented to my DH recently that he(Kevin Sorbo) was a much better actor in Hurcules, than he is in Andromeda. Hmmmm, Do you think it has anything to do with his costumes? Lady G is a well known myth, immortalized not least of all in a song (I think it was Peter & Gordon)from the 60s. Something for the old and the young at heart. :)

JayD
03-12-2005, 03:44 PM
umm....don't forget to post it in the Fantasy class next week. :wave:

mothsailor
03-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Everyone is doing great work here! Here's my male. Poor guy...obviously needs to work out more. Maybe I could give him some tips. :rolleyes: :envy: :wink2: Not good on hands and feet, but aren't we supposed to have a separate class on them? Hope so!

idcrisis55
03-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Hi Everyone :wave:
Here is the first part of the lesson. I started the male figure by measuring the spaces and trying to do the cylinders. The figure is stiff/stilted and really terrible. The female figure I just eyeballed. My goal is to learn where elements are placed plus widths, lengths. I'll redraw the male figure for sure. Any and all comments appreciated. Now to the next part.

Thanks,
Ann

SILKNSATIN
03-12-2005, 07:53 PM
LOL barbra c'mon now thats you and your shining umm undressed knight lol
Won't comment til it goes into next weeks thread. ;)
Dave woohhooo very good :clap: .You did good on the foreshortening to :wave:
idcrisis55 Wonderful job as well :clap:
So ya's are your ready to make a fantasy charaters next week? :wave:

JayD
03-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Hi, Ann--let me tell you what I did when I started this whole cylinder thing--I would draw the cylinders and then try to draw over them. I realized after a while that I am just supposed to visualize the cylinders-for now, you did something perfect and that is to diagram out your figures to give yourself a clear understanding of the point of the ENTIRE series. I applaud you for this. :clap: :clap: :clap:

By the way, I really like the female.

Dave--love your figure but I think you have an "Ironman" thing going on--yep that is definitely Tony Stark, billionaire industrialist, heart patient, and secretly, Iron man.

Dont worry about hands and feet right now--we WILL be covering it in another class.

Bon, you are doing an excellent job! Everybody be sure to listen to her though--She has the body's down. Hopefully, I will be able to get you more "experts" in here in the future.

By the way--I will be writing the next class but Bonnie, will be our guiding force through the next class...

idcrisis55
03-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Thanks Bon and Jay. I'll do more more but still have to do cylinder stuff as well as it helps me see where things end and begin. Now I'm heading for bed :) Thanks for letting me know how you did things Jay as I was thinking about working the same way but now I'll try visualizing it as well. :)

Enjoyed your male Dave, he looks so solid and massive.

Barbara, enjoyed your fantasy too lol. I always like kevin Sorbo too.
Cya in the a.m.

Ann

SILKNSATIN
03-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Thank you JayD.I'm no expert when it comes to the human figure.My hands try to come close to what I see in front of me or what I see in my mind.Getting it on the paper is the hardest past.I always had a very hard time with hand,would always try to hide them instead of practice on them.When I joined here in WC many helped me through this.I took their many adivces.The one that worked for me was.Do not look the it as hands.Look at it in a totally different way like any other form ya have to draw or follow,Just like a curve of a bottle or a of any object for that matter,but just put the image and word hands out of your mind.I tried and wow I DID IT :D .Not that great at hands most the time yet but I'm not afraid to show them now.So think of the human body as an hour glass or a boat,and maybe you won't be so hard on yourself.
Look at you object then draw a small part of that object then sit back and look long and hard at both and see how close you came and if not that close then look where you made them mustakes at and try to redo it a bit before going any futher.It's about like back when ya first started school and ya had to learn how to write letters.But slowly learning one letter at a time helped you and now look how you can zip right through wrtting lol.Wait im typing lol.I write ugly lol.Just don't push youself,Relax and have fun in anything you try to learn and it will come out a whole lot better.

sultry
03-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Barbara cool fantasy drawing :clap:
Dave he looks like a very tough guy :)
Wow Ann that is such great build up of the geo shapes for the male & female figures.
Jay that is so true about the meditation and just letting your mind wander. :)
I agree with you Jay, Bon is great at the human figure but she seems to be great at hawks too. :cat:

Cathie Jones
03-12-2005, 11:02 PM
. . . Bon is pretty good with belly dancers, too!!! :clap:

I just had to show this to you guys . . . made me laugh out loud. This is what happened when I followed the 8-heads thing from the ABC drawing lesson. I measured 8 equal units, drew a center line, then put the appropriate parts at the appropriate lines, then filled in the rest. THEN came the arms . . . . and I had an ape-woman! So I turned her face into a smiley and ran in here to give my buddies a laugh, too!

Just got around to doing this because I didn't have to work today, so I painted. I feel much better now!

Okay, here she is . . . and I'll go give it another try.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2005/23460-smileyrotflmao.gif

sultry
03-12-2005, 11:23 PM
CJ this is a good start. Now take a look at the DeReyna book and copy how he does the geo shapes (or look at Ann's figure) and copy them onto this. You have the porportions, you just need the geo shapes now. :) Even with a smiley face.

Ok, here is stage 2 of my guy. :cat:

Cathie Jones
03-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Actually, Sults, I did another one without measuring or blocking out and it's better. I'll post something tomorrow. I want to try something other than 'straight on,' but this is not a subject I'm very interested in so it's hard to get started and keep concentrating on it. Give me a fuzzy dog to draw any day . . . or JayD's rabbit hutch . . . or plants and flowers . . . :wink2:

JayD
03-13-2005, 07:18 AM
She is good at humans AND she is good at hawks? Hmmmmm........I guess that means that Bonnie should attempt a drawing of Stephen J. Hawking! :D

idcrisis55
03-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Cathie, I enjoyed your figure and I smiled as it is very similar to my first one. My first thought when I did mine was, "oh yuk". lol You have everything in place to refine and reshape as needed. Mine is beyond saving.

I could relate to what you were saying as this wasn't something that interested you particularly as I have felt the same way about other subjects. It makes it that much harder to create interest doesn't it, when one isn't particularly thrilled with the subject.

Good luck and hope you really get into the drawing, forgetting the subject, just concentrating on the flow of shapes and shadows.

Ann

SILKNSATIN
03-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Cathie I just jumped in here and seen what you said lol.Well you can make a human form from a flower you draw,a plant,a tree ect..
I grabbed a few pencils real quick and did a few doodles to show you.Can you see a bit of a female form and male form in my doodle? :D .This took a quick 5 minutes so no C&C lol

JayD
03-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Bonnie, how is the class coming? Sultry--I really like your drawing--

CJ--let me tell you why you should take an interest in this class--if you can draw the human figure--you can draw absolutely anything you want anytime--to me that is the only reason to do this. The human form represents a collection of geometric shapes which you should learn--dont aspire to be a master with your own Atelier--just get the basics down and zoom off in whatever direction you wish.

By the way, I think you will like the upcoming fantasy class. I have almost finished the demo and will be writing it in a few hours.

sultry
03-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Bon I like the fantasy doodles :) & Jay ty but I am still working on him, I will be posting stage 3 soon. :cat:

SILKNSATIN
03-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Sultry fantasy doodle??lol :p
I was scribbling a tree,leafs and a flower to show you can form a human out of just about anything,including those who love plants,flowers ect...

JayD
03-13-2005, 02:06 PM
I just wanted you guys to know that I have a HUGE demo for you for the fantasy class and I hope that you will like it.

CJ--No offense to the greeks but I stopped with the heads years ago--I work the geometrics but I prefer to eyeball whenever possible. I cant see the little heas to move them around.

Bon-AH but can you make people out of tea leaves?

idcrisis55
03-13-2005, 03:40 PM
I have attached the cylinderical sketch and then my attempt of the reclining nude in charcoal. The length of the back from the neck to the waist is all wrong but I certainly enjoyed trying to do this.

All c&c's appreciated.

Ann

JayD
03-13-2005, 03:53 PM
First, I love the second sketch. On the first one, i dont think that there is anything wrong with the neck on the first but I think the fencing attire on the head may contribute to that illusion. You've dont a nice job, Ann. :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
03-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Hey JayD, :wave:
When did you add the 'fantasy' drawing to your signature? Can we see a full drawing please-or do we have to wait for the next class? :clap: :clap:

SILKNSATIN
03-13-2005, 03:59 PM
JayD everyone is doing a great job on the human form.
It's great to see they are trying What methods are avialable and what method might work for them. :wave:
idcrisis55 Good attempt.As long as you enjoyed yourself while trying this technic is all that counts.Yes you from out the areas you didn't do that good on,al on your own.You going to try to redo them abit?

JayD
03-13-2005, 04:01 PM
The fantasy drawing is my demo for the fantasy class and is entitled "encounters"--just a preview of tomorrow's demo. :)

SILKNSATIN
03-13-2005, 04:06 PM
O yikes lol encounters?No little E.T. isn't gunna jump at me on my screen? :p
Can't wait to see what you came up with JayD.

idcrisis55
03-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Here is the second version of the female reclining on her side. The first one is the cylindrical and the second is the sketch. This is done with .005 mechanical pencil and a 6B graphite pencil.

Jay, Bon thanks for the comments on the first nudes. Bon, I'll try to rework that, erasing the charcoal. Will see how that goes lol.

JayD
03-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Bon, I hope you like it. The demo serves two purposes this week.

1. It's a demo (duh!)

2. It is a creativity exercise to help people develop ideas. You'll see. I drew this piece mainly with Connie in mind.

sultry
03-13-2005, 05:25 PM
I am looking forward to this Jay :) and cannot wait to see the signature fantasy piece bigger. :cat:
Here is stage 3 of my male, Used 4H; HB; pencils; #4 flat wc paint brush & make up sponge for blending; kneaded eraser & pencil eraser for highlights.
11"x14" 70lb drawing paper 104 g/m
Can you tell I enjoyed this one?
I plan to work on my female figure also Bon, I have already changed the positon of the nips on her. ;)
I was told I should x post it in figure, so I did :)

Cathie Jones
03-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Bon, I hope you like it. The demo serves two purposes this week.

1. It's a demo (duh!)

2. It is a creativity exercise to help people develop ideas. You'll see. I drew this piece mainly with Connie in mind.

Well yes, JayD, I can see that it does look a bit like Connie! :D

Ann, you're doing great. Looks like you're really having fun with this subject. Unlike JayD, I really like the fencing attire!! :eek: And you've inspired me to try again.

I've spent the last two days having fun with a sea gull, wood fence, rocks, water and sky . . . all in color. It's the first painting I've done since the fruit bowl.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2005/23460-smiley_artist.gif

So . . . I'll give it another try. BTW, I already have my fantasy figure in mind . . . just have to work out the how-to's.

EDIT: We cross-posted, Sults. Good looking guy you have there! I like the way he's peeking out from behind his arm . . . looks bashful. :clap:

idcrisis55
03-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Bon, attached is the update on the reclining nude. Does this look better?

Sultry, your work is coming along beautifully. Looking very realistic while mine still looks cartoonish :( lol that is why I am in class isn't it :)

Ann

idcrisis55
03-13-2005, 05:41 PM
Cathie we must have x-posted :D. I am having fun with this as this is something I have wanted to learn for quite some time but have been too timid to try. Ha, ha, I liked that Jay D., fencing attire, blame it on De Reyna as that is the way he did the face when doing the cylindrical drawings lol. Glad you liked the attire Cathie, as it was very easy to do rofl.

Did you post your painting in the WC Forum? I would love to see it. I was in that Forum earlier and didn't see it?? I'm getting ready to sketch a clown and then paint it for this week's painting.

Bon, after looking at the drawing again I can't see that much difference even though I moved up the cover a bit. I will have to redo this one because the length of that back really bothers me lol.

Ann

SILKNSATIN
03-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Maybe this can help you in the right direction.I redid the arm,shoulder,neck and head to show you the difference.If you look you will see in your drawing from the breast down is large in size than from the arm up to the head.
Hope you didn't mind me doing this but thought if you seen a difference with the naked eye you will see where the problem is. :D .Good drawing though :clap: just touch up and ya got er beat :wave:

Judi1957
03-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Evening all! :wave:

Hey Sults, BF looks good. :clap: The only thing I wonder about is the shadow at his upper thigh/butt area.
Is that bashful or a little beckoning???? :evil:
Pat hurt his back :( so I haven't been able to do any good studies for the last couple of days.

Hey CJ :wave: ...LOL love the smiley face. You do have a good start there, just some fine tuning and maybe repositioning of the feet. Looking forward to your next post. Glad you have been getting some painting done as you love it so much! Looking forward to your fantasy figure! :D

JayD :wave: , Hope you are enjoying your WELL DESERVED REST( :angel: ) (LOL rest, yeah! :rolleyes: ) Looking forward to the demo.

Ann, :wave: looking good, I see Bon has shown you the answer to your problem.

Bon, you are doing a great job! :clap:

Cathie Jones
03-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Bon, you are positively magic! And Ann, I don't think your reclining lady looks cartoonish. Mine definitely are looking like they were drawn by a 3-year-old. But here they are, anyway. (I didn't post the painting in the wc forum because I'm not really happy with it, but I'm not going to do anything else with it so I don't want to waste people's critique time). I'll post a tiny copy of it here for you.

Okay . . . here are block man (lost his legs below the knees in a horrible fencing accident!) . . . girl back . . . girl front (wearing fuzzy slippers) . . . and reclining sad lady. And a seagull, since it let me attach 5.

idcrisis55
03-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Bon, I don't mind in the least as I am a more visual person when it comes to understanding something. Thanks and I'll fix that one.

I drew a 2nd reclining lady and it is attached. I like it better I think :)

Thanks Judi :D, yeah, Bon is giving great help!

lol Cathie, cut off at the knees - fencing accident rofl. You have the right idea and I think your women are better than the man. I wonder if that is because of our familiarity with the female figure. I liked your reclining lady and thought you did a great job on the foreshortening. The only thing I really saw and I could be wrong is her head looked a little too large for her body.

The seagull is great and I really like your fence too. I think what is maybe throwing you is the rocks don't look anchored and perhaps some darker shadows in the water from their reflection. Also darkening the value of the water just a tad as it comes nearer to shore?? Other than that I think you did great.

Ann

Cathie Jones
03-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks, Ann. You may be right about reflections - I forgot that completely, but this is supposed to be choppy ocean, so I don't know that there would be any reflections. I'll take a look at it . . . the wood is my favorite part.

On the reclining woman, I did her head first to get the angle, and had trouble mapping the shoulders, so things just kept getting smaller. Been around these smiley icons too long, I guess - they all have big heads!! :D

SILKNSATIN
03-13-2005, 08:09 PM
Sultry fantastic job :clap: Maybe if ya just fattened his leg up a bit more than that torso wouldn't look so inviting to spank. :p
CJ You did great on the female standing poses :clap: .I know it's hard to do foreshortening but at least ya wasn't chicken to try and thats how ya get better at it.Umm do I have to comment on your male?lol umm o umm geeeeeeeeee ummm put some hair on his chest and ill get back to ya on that lol :D
Ann you did great on drawing the female and just enlarging a few area's will make it even greater :clap:
I love drawing the human form and I still mess up on them lol and I always will.But as long as it's something I enjoy ill never stop :D
You all that don't do the human form much should try to stick with easy poses so you don't get to thinking that drawing a human body is really tough and can't wait til this thread is over lol.Like I said foreshortening can get very tricky and I still have problems in that area.

Mary Woodul
03-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Good evening everyone! I missed out on all of the fun again for being away.

Barbara and CJ, you all have made my day, LOL, you crack me up, you both are so funny but besides that, your doing good with your drawings. :D

Judi, Sultry, Dave and Ann you all are really working hard and getting very good results with your drawings.

Bon, I would just love to watch you doodle, you must have masterpieces all over you sketchbooks. :envy:

JayD, I started working a little on the fantasy, (although I know I have to finish the WIP on the female), because I will have another hectic week but maybe not as bad as last week and I am looking forward to your demo. I love your drawing! :D

Cathie Jones
03-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Bon, whattsa matter with my male? Is he missing something??? LOL That's just the forms practice from the book - wasn't intending to turn him into a real drawing. Just wanted to show you I was really trying . . . doing the practices.

Judi1957
03-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Hey CJ :wave:
I like block man.lol. Missing something?...you had it last! :evil:
I really love your watercolors CJ. Yes, the wood is especially well done! :clap: :clap:
Still thinking how that koi would look fab in my house :D ). Did you take classes or are you self taught?

Hey Mary! :wave:

Cathie Jones
03-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Hmmmm . . . where did I place that guys parts . . . ??? :rolleyes:

Judi, thanks. My watercolors are not that good, you should check out the wc forum . . . there's some great stuff there. And, although I took a few lessons at our local Parks & Rec, I mostly learned from the forum. Those people are fantastic at giving good, honest critique if you ask for it. As far as I'm concerned, that's the best way to learn. Like JayD and the subbies do here, and Bon is doing this week.

Unfortunately for you (and my mother) the koi is my favorite thing that I've ever done, and I can't part with it. Maybe one day I'll be able to do another one, but so far haven't been able to repeat it.

JayD
03-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Hi, Cathie--I was just hearing all this Koi talk and I had to go see for myself--You really are quite good. Do you mostly work wet on wet?--have you experimented with drybrush?

I like the Koi too but I also Like your landscapes especially the ones about winter trees and the one titled "Casa".

SILKNSATIN
03-13-2005, 10:13 PM
CJ umm I was thinking more on the tin man in the wizard of ooz not umm a missing part lol.They are good drawings hun.The painting is very nice.What don't you like about it?

JayD
03-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Mary and Judi, I went ahead and cross posted "encounter" in the Sci-Fi and Fantasy section if you want to look at it before you see the demo. I am writing the final part of the class now and will post between 12 and 1am tonite.

Cathie Jones
03-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Aw, JayD, yer makin' me blush. :o I do mostly work wet in wet, but I also do dry brush. I especially like dry brush for things like tree trunks and water detail.

Bon, somehow I missed the tin man reference - sorry! Ann critiqued the painting perfectly. The wood is good, the bird is okay. The water needs more work, and the rocks aren't 'anchored,' they look like they're floating. This is why these forums are so important - we work together to get a good finished product.

And speaking of learning - the Wallis sanded paper I ordered last week finally arrived today, so I'm trying out pastels, too. Watercolor is my first love, but since I've been in this class I'm more willing to try other mediums.

Edit: I went over to fantasy, and I like your encounter, JayD. I stuck around and checked the other posts. LOL At first it looked like "fantasy" is just an excuse to draw nekid wimmin without looking like a pervert:eek:, but then I found robots and unicorns and clothed females. :D

JayD
03-13-2005, 11:55 PM
We are going to be covering (pardon the pun) clothes and folds in the next lesson AFTER the fantasy class. Cheers! :)

jmfletch
03-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Well, here is my figure effort, with many thanks to the folks at Visual Pose and JayD for access to the model poses. Visual Pose is defintiely on my wish list!

This is done in Prismacolor Tuscan Red on Stonehenge paper. Image size is about 9"x12".

Joe

Fireman's kid
03-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Hey Joe, this guy is really good! You did great with his muscles and I like his buns too. :D (Sorry...couldn't resist! :evil: )

The only thing I'm not sure of is the very large shadow.

By the way...I think people keep referring to you as Jim because your user name is jmfletch. My eyes always turn that jm into jim. :)

sultry
03-17-2005, 08:56 PM
OMG Joe that is great & Stacy I think he has a light on the ground like when you walk in front of a projector light. The big shadow falls behind you. That is one great cp shading ( I am trying to learn this medium, so I can appreciate the work you did here).

Judi1957
03-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Hey Joe :music:
I agree w/ Stacy- NICE BUNS :evil: , as well as everything else! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey Sults, I don't think it's a projector. He's making a movie! :evil: :evil:

jmfletch
03-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks guys!!

Sultry is right. The lighting is from below and in right front. It is the model from the sample Visual Pose gave us access to. First time I ever drew from my computer screen.

Joe

Night Creature
03-18-2005, 01:19 AM
Hope It's not to late to do this. Heres one I did. :)

sultry
03-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Hi everyone
LOL better late then never I guess, here is BF with bald spot & all. He was not too happy about that but understood its important for me to get a likeness. He has hair that will stand on end alot.

Hey Bill, that is good contour shading & very good in porportion figure.

JayD
03-22-2005, 01:19 AM
I really like what you have done with the pencil her Sults--The texture in the background is simply stunning. The hands are well worked. overall the piece reminds me of maybe something by El Greco or maybe even Goya. I would soften the armpit indentation--it seems like the arm has tab A inserted into slot B or if I crank up that arm champagne bubbles will come blowing out of his mouth to the tune of Lawrence Welk--which would be a kind of Terry Gilliam sort of thing. :D

ONE of the highlights of this piece--and Sults--I love this-is the detail that you paid to his thinning hair.

I can tell that you put a lot of work into this piece and it has really paid off.

Judi1957
03-22-2005, 06:37 AM
Great job here Sults! and I agree w/ the C & C from JayD. The BG texture is awesome! BF must be pleased as well! :D
:clap: :clap: :clap:

mhimeswc
06-17-2005, 01:16 AM
I know, I know, I've been gone a long time. I haven't picked up a pencil in all that time except to draw on my watercolor paper. I've taken a few trips, recovered from a bad cold and a bout with depression, and then I got on a roll with my watercolor. I've wanted to come back many times, but knew I didnt want to take time away from my painting when things were finally going well again. I knew that I wanted to go back to where I left off - I had drawn a female nude and so here is the male nude.

My drawing is a little larger than the scanner bed. Yes, there are some feet down there, as well as a shadow to anchor him. They fit fine on my drawing paper, just not the scanner. And his right arm is darker on the sketch than on the scan. This was done with a 2B pencil.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2005/20035-MaleDrawing.jpg

idcrisis55
06-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Good for you, drawing again! The proportions look good to me and I like how you foreshortened his right arm. Nice work on those legs and buttocks too.

For some reason his right shoulder is bothering me a little. I'm not sure if it is the shadow area along the top of the shoulder or, if it is the area coming from the neck and around to the shoulder bone not giving me the feeling of mass/roundness. I'm looking forward to reading comments from the subbies and members.

I haven't been here either but hope to be back in July. Sometimes, we just have to prioritize and go from there, right! :) That always means that something gets left for later :(

I enjoyed your drawing and welcome back!
Ann

mhimeswc
06-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks, Ann. I wasn't even sure if anyone still looked at these earlier lessons.

I had trouble with that shoulder because of the way the arm was held, and because of the poor reference. I am not subscribed to Virtual Pose, and the little freebie pose was hard to see on my monitor. If I ever decide to get into figure painting, I may have to purchase the program.

Now on to my mermaid for the fantasy figure lesson.

Michelle

sultry
06-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Michelle & Ann (inserts wildly waving smiley) miss you two
Michelle I am glad you were able to over come your bout and had a roll with wc and even came back to us. :)
I like the contour shading especially the neck. I think what is off on the right is that you did not show the shading or maybe the scanner did not. Maybe if you darken the shading we can see how the arm protrudes out to us better.

mhimeswc
06-17-2005, 12:07 PM
That's right - none of the shading on the right arm showed up on the scan, and I did it twice. My scanner doesn't seem to like pencil work. I'll see if I can get that part to come out better.

Michelle

mhimeswc
06-17-2005, 12:16 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2005/20035-MaleDrawing2.jpg

This scan is a little better. I had a lot of trouble with this arm because he is holding it way back, and the muscles in the shoulder and upper arm were making round bumps. I guess you would kind of have to turn him to the exact position that I did on Virtual Pose to see what I was trying to do.

Michelle

Judi1957
06-17-2005, 12:47 PM
MICHELLE AND ANN!!!!! :wave: :wave:
Waving and jumping up and down w/ Sults- :D
Oh it is so good to 'see' yunz!!! :clap:

Nice work Michelle :clap: :clap: , maybe play with the settings on the scanner a bit may help.

idcrisis55
06-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Hi Michelle, Sults & Judi, have missed all of you too! :wave: :D (I miss that other big grin as this one makes me think it is the envy icon lol.)

Every room in the house is painted except one bedroom and kitchen. Those won't be done until the Fall but all the carpet has been removed, new draperies, etc. hung and still packing away stuff. Two more weeks and then 80-100 people converge on us. It will be a madhouse.

Michelle, I'm didn't purchase the virtual pose program either. If I ever get into figure drawing more which I want to do for paintings it would probably be a very good investment. I think you did a fine job on this pose Michelle and bet you learned a lot from drawing it. I'm looking forward to seeing your mermaid. The fantasy drawing was fun!

On my scanner I had to set the gamma settings at 96 or 97 rather than 100 to get some of the lighter greys to show. Every scanner is different aren't they.

Well time to go back to work, covering the seats on the dining room chairs :)

Ann

sultry
06-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Wow Ann you busy bee and to think after it is all done, you will still have so much to do with so many guests coming. I wish you all the strength of Samson and then some. I wish you all the patience of a Saint. I wish you all the joy of child of let loose in a toy store. :)

JayD
06-18-2005, 12:02 AM
Wow, Michelle, I come to see your work and you moon me with this guy!!! Ok, I like where you are going with this but rememer that the human body is a series of stalks (cylinders)--while I get that on most partis of this body, I do not get it on the back leading down to his moony parts( the buttocks)--see if you can work his trunk into a more cylindrical shape. Keep at it--this is good.

idcrisis55
06-18-2005, 06:03 AM
Thanks Sults :)

Ann

mhimeswc
06-18-2005, 11:57 PM
I didn't mean to moon you JayD. :) I just turned the virtual model around to ....um....hide....the......um....

I have no problem drawing a frontal view, I've done them on life drawing classes, but I wasn't sure that I wanted to post one on the web.

JayD, my mermaid is posted in Class 15. I'm having a little trouble with it and could use some advice.

Michelle

JayD
06-19-2005, 01:11 AM
Michelle, I have not forgotten you but sometimes I have the attention span of a squirrel on caffeine. On my way there now.

dragonfruit
06-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Hi there :)
Seems like I'm catching up to where there is still some active conversation going on - I really enjoy reading the exchanges but usually it has all happened well in the past.

Here are two nudes I did some time ago. Not quite the right size for the scanner, so tops of heads and feet have suffered. Since doing these I have had some life classes - usually working quickly. The third one is one of these. I must say I actually prefer this way of working.

:)
Ren

Judi1957
06-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Ren,
You are quite a wonderful artist!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

dragonfruit
06-20-2005, 02:42 AM
Thanks Judi :) :)
It's really nice to feel encouraged. I have tended to be shy about my stuff, and am super-critical of it myself. I really do appreciate your C&C, and believe me, I know I have LOTS to learn.

:)
Ren

Fireman's kid
06-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Ren and Michelle - Nice drawings!

Ren - I really like the higlights on your models, especially the first two. All three definitely have the feeling of solid forms. Nothing to be shy about here.

Michelle - you also have good solid form in your drawing except for that one spot Jay mentioned. I looked at the Virtual Pose free models and also came to the conclusion that it would be difficult to draw from the monitor. Part of the reason I haven't done the male drawing yet. :o One of the many things I have to catch up on.

I once took a life drawing class, back when I first started drawing, and I was worried the whole time that I would insult the models by my lack of ability. What if my drawing made them look too fat or slouchy or ugly? LOL I guess that's the risk you take as a model. :D

dex
11-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Basic 101: Class 14
The Human Figure—GO FIGURE!

ENJOY YOURSELVES!

Hi JayD,
thank's for your very constructive information.(might even try doing something myself!):evil: .
dex

dex
11-23-2005, 07:23 PM
here is my nude attempt!(1st one i've done in year's!,year's!..........),it was done a few weeks ago!(it's elsewhere on WC).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2005/69694-nude_1.jpg
as the left breast wasn't quite right!!,did an update,here it is.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2005/69694-nude2nd_update.jpg

dex

dex
11-23-2005, 07:27 PM
and here's my 2nd nude attempt!.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2005/69694-13nov_2005_jpg.jpg

dex

dex
11-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Well im a bit flattered and nervous because I have no schooling in learning how to draw the human figure.But here goes lol
Starting out with just a 2b pencil and drawing lightly to get a basis on what i'm doing.I always start out on the form of the head first.This will give me an idea how large the body will have to be.
I do a bit of a sketchy form to see how I want the body to pose.Then I shape it more and darker with 4b pencil.This is only a 9x12 so in order for the whole body to fit I start in the middle close to the top.The head will be about 1 1/4 inches from chin to top of head.I'm kinda doing a backside twist sketch.It's a pose a bit new to me to try to lol.But good thing about the mind it can seeing life in any pose or form.I'm doing the backside ways because it's less detailed.
If you measure the arms in the front you can make the top leg in same length from the knee to the hip.From knee to heel just make it about an inch shorter.The right arm & leg towards the back is about an inch shorter then the front so you can give it a kinda higher balance.
I'm doing this in inches because there's only about 3 measurements that I can uses thats an easy way to draw the human body.The front head is about the same size as the foot.From chin to the top of the head.
So thats how I do the figure from my imagination.
I'm going to finish this with charcoal pencil and blending in the shades using my pencil sideways.No Qtip,stump or finger blending lol.
The final picture is taken with my camera not scanner.

great demo bonny:wink2: ,
(I bet clyde couldn't have done any better:evil: ):)keep up the good work!.
dex

Judi1957
11-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Hi Dex :wave: ,
Really nice work.
On the first drawing I think more of the upper arm on the right of the drawing would show. Also maybe the inner upper thigh line of the thigh on the left would not really turn in so.
I see you corrected the left breast - that is what I saw as well.

dex
11-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi Dex :wave: ,
Really nice work.
On the first drawing I think more of the upper arm on the right of the drawing would show. Also maybe the inner upper thigh line of the thigh on the left would not really turn in so.
I see you corrected the left breast - that is what I saw as well.

Hi Judi:wave: ,
thank you for your C&C,appreciated:wink2: ,just thought you might like to see ref pic it came from(to see what you think:) ),also the demo of rosic(worth a visit if u've not seen),below.
http://artworkbyrosic.homestead.com/files/twc9b.JPG

http://artworkbyrosic.homestead.com/demo.html
regards
dex

Judi1957
11-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi Dex :wave:
-My apologies-my comments were on your posted '2nd nude attempt'.
I have my personal settings to view the last post first. :)

On the front view drawing I think you could eliminate some linage with some more layering in the arm area.
I see the breasts are a lil larger in yours-but that may be from your imagination. :D

Guiding here: please do not post anothers work as an image in your post--copyright issues as indicated in your user agreement. :eek: :)

dex
11-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Hi Dex :wave:
-My apologies-my comments were on your posted '2nd nude attempt'.
I have my personal settings to view the last post first. :)

On the front view drawing I think you could eliminate some linage with some more layering in the arm area.
I see the breasts are a lil larger in yours-but that may be from your imagination. :D

Guiding here: please do not post anothers work as an image in your post--copyright issues as indicated in your user agreement. :eek: :)

no problem Judi;)
as for the 1st nude,i think the left breast was more like the ref pic?(although it was a little bruised!!:evil: ),the update came about by a c&c:) ,but now i think it looks better?(they're now a matching pair!!:wink2: ):D
regards
dex

oh,u were talking about"shower girl!:),here's ref pic!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2005/69694-ref_shower_girl.jpg

Africanart
12-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Ok no I am struggling. This is completely out of my head with no model. Except JayD i used your drawings as a rough indication where all should be:D.
In the top corner I did a rough sketch to show you how I started the big picture of. Did the head measure thing after I established how big it is.

Problems:

Arms - I have noticed after I scanned it that the arms are not at the same height

Butt - oh dear HELP!!!!!!! how do you determine the size? and shaping for that matter.

Then the legs, the poor oak's legs looks like a pair of tree trunks that got stuck on instead of legs. The thigh part I guess is kind of ok, the problem is at the calves and where it goes into the feet, once again the shaping of the calves.

The torso, what would be a good size width wise from neck to shoulder. 1 head?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not do shading need help with that too.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Will take all advice to create second attempt at this with shading. Hopefully I will be able to apply it to the women as well.

Thanks

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2005/69011-lesson14stage1male.jpg

Judi1957
12-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Hi Mary!:wave:
Here are some links to look at:

One (http://www.portrait-artist.org/misc/proportion.html)
Two (http://www.realcolorwheel.com/human.htm)

Troy Rochford
12-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Beagley Beagley....:)

Africanart
12-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Hi Judi

Thanks for the two links, printed it and will go and read through it. By just skimming over them quickly I see that they are very informative and they will definitely help me. This might take me some time, but I am going to keep at it till I get it. I might have to tape the kids up with some duck tape and put them in a corner to be able to do this
:evil: (kidding of course).

Once again thanks

Mary

Judi1957
12-30-2005, 11:24 PM
Hi Judi

I might have to tape the kids up with some duck tape and put them in a corner :evil: Mary
Mary!!!!! aren't you ashamed of yourself?????:D:evil:
I do hope you are keeping a notebook to refer back to.:)

Africanart
12-31-2005, 09:10 AM
Judi

About on how and when to ducktape the kids up?:evil: :D or on all the wonderfull notes you give me.

Actually I am keeping everything together and will create a folder when the kids are all taped up and I have mastered the drawing of a body. :angel:

Mary

Judi1957
12-31-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi Mary:wave: -You probably know this as I may have told you-lol-don't remember--all the Classes up to Class 26 are in pdf format in the link in my sig should you want to print them out.

Africanart
12-31-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks Judi will do when needed.

Mary

Africanart
01-04-2006, 04:49 PM
HI there

ok so I think that I have finally established that I am absolutely terrible at figure drawing (especially from my imagination) CAPITAL :eek:

Here is my male, like I said terrible...

I have done the woman, but as I was busy with her she developed into something for lesson 15 so I will post her there.

At least I can say that I have tried and that I know how now and can practise in the future.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2006/69011-lesson14male.jpg

FrigEh
02-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Hi all,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2006/77172-naked.jpg

here is my sitting female nude...

Anita Murphy
02-26-2006, 11:13 PM
FrigEh - could you give us a larger image? It looks good from what I can see .......

Anda G
07-04-2006, 03:06 PM
I've been telling myself to get busy with the sketchbook. So.... Here's what I have on beginning to sketch/draw the figure. I took the pictures from the Figure forum. I am just starting and I hope this will give me the motivation to keep on. I did these "live" from the photos. No grids, tracing, etc. I used the head measurement thingy on the lady. I didn't take too much time with them. It's HARD! :crying: (whining). :lol:

I'm putting them here because I am more comfy here in this classroom. :)

Any help would be great.
Andagail
The first is vine charcoal 9 by 12.(Easiest, I don't know why) The others are graphite on sketchbook about the same size.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2006/59007-Balletsketch.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2006/59007-sketch2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2006/59007-sketch3.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2006/59007-sketch4.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2006/59007-sketch5.jpg

Anda G
07-06-2006, 11:37 PM
I am developing the ballerina. 9 by 13 inches. Bienfang charcoal paper. Compressed charcoal to tone. Vine charcoal to sketch. Black General's chalk pastel pencil to draw. Kneaded eraser to highlight and correct.
C & C welcome, please.
Andagail :wave: Also posted in figure.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2006/59007-nudeballetcloser.jpg

Anita Murphy
07-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Anda - I'm sorry I missed these. I love the guy lying on the sofa, and the one sitting crosslegged. Not sure about the naked ballerina - think her supporting leg is out at the thigh.

There are some great reference pictures in the figure forum in their sub-forum - 7 or 8 threads of figure poses if you are looking for more. Of course nothing beats drawing from life. My husband resolutely refuses to pose for me, I hope you have more luck finding a willing model!

Anda G
07-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Thank you, Anita. Now that I look at it, the thigh looks kind of stuck on. I will go have a look. Can you tell that the arms are kind of scrunched in to make them fit? :D I guess I will just have to practice more and it'll come to me. :rolleyes: I just wish it was easier than that. :D
I got a few pictures from over in Figure. I am going to post some in their Virtual Figure classes when I feel a little better about my work. I am intimidated by all the great work there already. :o

Andagail :wave:

Anita Murphy
07-08-2006, 09:47 PM
I know how you feel Anda - figure work is NOT my strong point!

The upper arm does look a little short - if you hold your arm up the elbow is about level with the top of your head. Obviously if you bend it it is lower.

Anda G
07-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Hi, Anita. Thanks for commenting. Both arms do look small. I see what you mean. I knew the arm on the barre was short, but not the over-head arm. :D I checked out books on figure sketching and drawing the clothed figure. They look interesting, so far. I just dug out my big sketch pad and plan to get to work practicing. Tomorrow. really. :o :D

Andagail :wave:

rimbauds shop
08-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Hi All

I just stumbled across this thread today on an occasional trip outside the figure forum...D&S is my favourite lurking spot outside Figures...I really should come here more often.

Anyway...I really hope you don't mind an occasional visitor joining in...and as I am that self same sofa boy in Anda's drawing (great version of that pose by the way Anda) I thought I'd add a couple of my drawings to the fine display already on show.

As a predominantly figure artist (he said loftily )I think there has been some terrific stuff going on in this thread (pssst...if any of you feel like vacationing over in Figures...you'd be more than welcome :D )

Anyway...here's a couple or three from imagination

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2006/57264-nude080small.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2006/57264-nude056givensmall.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2006/57264-SPEgonStyle.JPG

From photos

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2006/57264-VLC3-7.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2006/57264-VLC10-1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2006/57264-Sp2.jpg

You might recognise that last one Andagail:D

And from life

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2006/57264-LifeNude5.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2006/57264-nude022.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2006/57264-LifeNude1BigHead.JPG

Great thread JayD.

I might have to further examine these 101's

Anda G
08-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Thanks, Mr. Shop! That one pose looks slightly familiar.

I love your other figures. They look so natural. :lol: I mean in style of drawing. Not Au naturelle. You know what I mean. :)

I need to come back over and visit you all in the Figure. I have been taking the portrait lesson here. :)

Andagail

Mike Mattesi
09-04-2006, 11:01 PM
I am an instructor and when I teach figure drawing, I make it about the forces of the body and the artist's experience while indulging in this. Personally, I think too many artists are caught up on measuring. How many artists do you know that went into art for the sake of learning how to measure?

JayD
09-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Ribaud--first any Pixies fan is a friend of mine...secondly--I SAW the plug for the figure forum--LOL!!! Lastly, I am looking for someone, like yourself, who has been here at WC for sometime to helm a figure class--let me know if you are interested. Class members--feel free to pressure him.

Michael, welcome to Basic 101--I am familiar with your work--Entertainment Art Academy, I believe--you sell online pdf classes. Your work is quite advanced, I believe.

This is a basics course--it is for absolute beginners and advanced students who might want to get back to basics--your classes are more advanced--this is probably not the section for someone of your particular caliber so you might want to consider checking out the Basic 102 classes which are taught by more acomplished and more recognized artist. Again, welcome.

rimbauds shop
09-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Andagail.....Thanks for your kind words about my drawings...when I hear "natural" as a description of what I do, I get a small, slightly crooked smile as "natural" is certainly amongst my goals. :D

Jay D....OK! Now I feel rather honoured. I shall PM you in the next day or two when I have time to construct a proper reply.

You spotted the plug?! And I thought I was being terribly subtle :D . No flies on you! ( If any etymologists out there could enlighten me as to the origins of that phrase...I'd really appreciate it). Feel free to come over and do some plugging of your own.

Don't you find that there is no day that a little Surfer Rosa or Doolittle can't enhance?

JayD
09-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Great! I hope you can do a class for us--I'm a bit worn out. I walk into my kitchen and there in the middle of the floor is a Copperhead (aka Cottonmouth aka Water Moccasin)--for you people not from the us--its the North American answer to the Viper--We trapped it in a plastic box while I went to shop to get a sling. I then had to kill the thing--you have to behead it--it took me about a half hour to kill it. A great way to start your weekend!

Willemien
01-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi everybody.

I did some (basic) figure drawing this evening, to get a little bit familiar with proportions.
The first one, I didn't do as De Reyna said, (stubborn as I am) it was jus circles and lines, and you can see where this led me :o torso to small, hips to broad and some weird space between the legs.
So the other ones I did according to the examples of De Reyna.
They certainly are not perfect. The males shoulders are much to wide, I think, but lets say, he did some body building and probably the female is to thin.
Anyway I would like to hear your comment.

thanks for looking
Best regards, Willy

cmwynn
01-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Willy - I am sorry, I am just not able to comment on your drawings. You do excellent work, but I can't see the drawings here at all, just vague outlines. I have tried putting them into Photoshop to darken them, but the resolution is so low that they will not enlarge enough to see what you are doing. Please try to make larger, darker images either with your pencil or by manipulating them on the computer yourself.

Willemien
01-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi Connie,
I don't understand, if I click on the image it show very well, anyway, I tried to upload it from an url. Can you see them now?

Probably not. I will try to fix them tomorrow.

best regards, Willy

Willemien
01-08-2008, 04:24 PM
could not wait until tomorrow:p
so here it is again.

cmwynn
01-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Willy - these are easier to see, but could be better. Are you scanning them or taking photos? Either way, try to find a better way to reproduce your drawings. When I scan, I have to use the software with the scanner for almost every drawing or painting to get any where near the original darkness. It will be worthwhile to learn this now, as you will surely be doing lots of drawing in the future and can get much better help if it is easier to see.
You have been very careful in measuring these figures. Now it is time to do the drawings. I never was able to open the site Jay had listed for students of this class, but there are lots of other references available, particularly in the Figure forum. Try to draw the figures as you would see them, doing the shapes and proportions first then transferring the outline to another page. The object here is make them look like People. This is one place where it does matter what size paper you use. You want to do this fairly large, giving yourself room for all the limbs. If you have friends who will pose for your drawing that is a bonus.

Willemien
01-15-2008, 04:15 PM
I am still doing all kind of exercises. I did a lot of figures, like the first one (the wooden drawing figures, a lot of figures, just with some lines, to get the movement, a lot of reading, etc) :)
I really like to figure drawing.
These drawing are not finales. I used the examples from a book of Ballestar and Vigue. Just to get the feel of it.

I hope you all want to comment.

Best regards, Willy

cmwynn
01-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Willy - I can only say that I am very impressed with the drawings, even in their partially drawn state. You have shown the shape on the outside but also the muscles and hollows of the body. I am going to see if I can find someone to make some more in depth criticism as I know I am inadequate here.

Gordon's art
01-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Willy I think that you are progressing beautifully, and you should now try to do a full figure drawing to see how much you have learned and then go onto the next stage in your learning you could try this thread here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230509&pp=15)
P.S there is also the Figure Forum that you could try if that is what you are going to be interested in you will certainly get a lot of advice there maybe worth a try

Willemien
01-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi Gordon,
Thanks very much for your comment. I feel like I am not totally ready for the next step. I first want to do a partially female.
I did take a look on the Figure forum, and will take other looks. For now I ordered the book: Art models, so lots to do.
When I have done the female (probably tonight) I'll send you a pm and hope you would like to comment.

best regards, Willy

Gordon's art
01-16-2008, 03:02 PM
by all means I will certainlly do that for you

Willemien
01-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi
Here I am again.
I have to say that I found the female more difficult than the male, maybe that is because I am a female myself :cool:
(All these soft round curves :evil: )
Anyway I tried my best, so hope you would like to comment.

Best regards, Willy

(Going to have a look at the figure drawing site now bye bye :wave: )

Gordon's art
01-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Willy again I think you have done well on these and are ready to move on, just one thing although I am no expert on such matters but it does look like she has one breast bigger than the other.

cmwynn
01-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Willy - I hope we haven't lost you to the figure drawing forum. Even is you feel so comfortable that figure drawing is your main focus, I hope you will stick with the lessons for a while to broaden your skills.

Willemien
01-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi Connie,

You did not lose me to the figure drawing forum.:p I am still developping my skills (and intend to do all the lessons of 101 AND 102 :rolleyes: ). I did two drawings of a female and male, which I still have to post (will do this tonight) and I took a peek in lesson 15 (the fantasy drawing) and try to fantasize what to do here. I have some ideas, but to work them out is not so easy.:evil:
You will hear from me soon.
Thanks for your interest

Best regards, Willy

Willemien
01-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi
Here my (last) drawings, after this I hop over to lesson 15. (if you agree:cool: )
I am not totally satifsfied, because I do not like the faces:mad: ), but as I understood from other comments, t was all about the body.......:D , so I hope to improve the whole picture as I do portraits, probably the pieces will come together than.

I hope you would like to comment.....

Best regards, Willy

Gordon's art
01-21-2008, 03:26 PM
As I have said I think you are ready to move on as these are very good indeed, so we will see you in the lesson 15

arnoud3272
11-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Hi,

Here is my first attempt at sketching the human figure.
(OK, the first that I care to show)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2008/142886-101-14-front.jpg

(A4, mechanical 2B)

arnoud3272
11-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi,

Here is my second exercise for this class' assignment, a male nude.
A4 "drawing paper" unknown brand. Figure: wood-encased pencils 2H, H and mechanical pencil 2B. Bg and bench: 7B - bg by frottage (on shower glass).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2008/142886-101-14-male.jpg

The model is "Justin" from the Figure Forum's "Virtual Life Class" No 9.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2008/142886-44092-IMG_1531_cr.JPG

*Deirdre*
11-15-2008, 04:17 AM
Arnoud without the benefit of a ref, your first drawing seems fine! Your second drawing is very good also but needs a little more muscle in places, such as our left upper arm, the top of the buttock, and a little more on both lower limbs. Overall though, very good indeed! On to the next class!:thumbsup:

arnoud3272
11-15-2008, 05:47 AM
Thank you Deirdre,

(Young) female nude refs are easy to find, but there is always the copyright issue. As to the muscles, the lighting on the picture is rather flat, and my knowledge of anatomy is not good enough to draw them from imagination. I will keep it in mind for next time, choosing a more defined ref.
Again, thank you for commenting.

Cheers, Arnoud

*Deirdre*
11-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Arnoud...when I referred to muscle I was not really talking about definition...but 2D area....in places, you went a little thin...if you want me to show you, I can do so in PS.:)