PDA

View Full Version : WIP Sharing a bed

catherina
03-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Hi everybody

I want to paint a picture of my dogs from a photo that I took a while back. I got both of them from the animal welfare and although they are mutts, for me they are just beautiful. :angel:

I made the initial drawing, but decided to change it a bit and would like some advise, before I start. I was thinking of painting the background a grey (not a black and white grey, maybe a warm grey) and the bedding purple -not too dark. The bedding on the photo are too busy :o

How do I paint the shine on the dark dog? He is not black, but a very dark chocolaty brown, but his coat has a beautiful sheen to it. I was thinking of painting a grey grisaille and then do some glasing in brown on top, but as I have never done it before, I don't know if it will do the trick :confused: Any help or advise will be most welcome. :)

(It will be an oil painting 12x6 inches)

catherina
03-09-2005, 04:30 PM
I made a few changes and I'm not sure its for the better :p I am fairly happy the way the yellow dog turned out and started with the dark one, but still not sure how to get the sheen on him.(I want to put a few more glazes on him) The photograph are not the best as it is taken at night in artificial light. I am not happy about the bed but don't know how to fix it. Maybe the colours are not right? Maybe I must throw this one out and start again. I will appreciate any C&C, even if you tell me it is not working. :o

LisaArt
03-10-2005, 01:19 AM
Hi Catherina, It is looking so good. And so cute.
Both dogs look great. YOu know I see already a different shiny colour down his back now. You are on the right track. Youu might want to add some lind seed oil to your glazes he will look more shiny. Also, I find varnishing my oil, make them more lust in colour and sheen.

catherina
03-10-2005, 04:00 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Lisa, I found a turorial on the oil painting forum about glazing and are trying that out now.(WC is a great place to learn )
I use a mix of damar varnish and linseed oil and turps with the paint, but only on the dark dog. I'm not sure how many glazes or even which colours to use- just keep on trying and hope for the best
:D

WRoget
03-12-2005, 07:16 PM
How do I paint the shine on the dark dog? He is not black, but a very dark chocolaty brown, but his coat has a beautiful sheen to it. I was thinking of painting a grey grisaille and then do some glasing in brown on top,

I would do the grisaille with a raw umber, so that the warm chocolate tone comes through from even the bottom-most layer - then just build up the darks with ever finer layers, and dry brush glazes of highlights - again building up and allowing that warm umber to influence the color.

catherina
03-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Thank you WRoget, I appreciate your advice and will certainly try that. :D

catherina
03-17-2005, 02:17 PM
This is a new painting. I wasn't happy with the other one. :crying: I changed the background and the "bed" because I wanted to stay with the yellow and browns(does that make sense?) I think I will give the dark dog a few more glazes. How does it look? Is this painting working? I am still learning and any C&C will be appreciated. (The photo is a bit brighter than the painting!)

AzCate
03-22-2005, 10:12 PM
This may be too late to be helpful, but you got a nice fur feeling on the golden dog. Even though the photo of the little black guy is all black, you probably need to cheat a little and not have him so dark...fill in some of the details you can't see in the photo. I want to see how his body moves under all that blackness. John Seery-Lester has a good book on Painting Wildlife, and covers fur extensively. He shows a black panther and pandas which might give you some ideas on brushstrokes and colors to use. Painting critters is such fun, but fur is really hard! You did a good job :cat:

catherina
03-28-2005, 02:46 AM
Thanks AzCate, the photo is a bit darker than the painting, but I must say I am not happy with the dark one- nerver realise it is so diffucult to paint a dark animal :( I will see if I can find that book -really needs it! :)