PDA

View Full Version : Trance of the Matador

zz
12-09-2001, 08:24 PM
Oils and metalic pigments on Board

This painting is painted with an underglazing of gold, silver and coloured metalic pigments, so that when sunlight is on the painting it seems to glow from underneath the top layers.

I was excited to see that the underglow changed with the evening light because of, I think, the use of metalic orange pigment used as a base for this painting.

Any comments gratefully received.
Thank you for looking.

colorme
12-09-2001, 09:56 PM
o i see blood, i like this piece..i wish i could see it w/ natural sunlight to see the glow:).

canvasishome
12-10-2001, 09:38 AM
zz,

I like this very much. The glow does really work well.

-dk-

VictoriaS
12-10-2001, 01:15 PM
Very nice. Can you explain about using the metallic pigments? I haven't used them and would like to try. Did you mix them with acrylic medium and then applied oils on top?

Victoria

zz
12-15-2001, 01:32 AM
colorme,
OOOh! blood eeee! lol never occured to me lol.
Good point colorme, I should have posted a photo of it in the evening light to show the effect. Thank you.
;)

canvasishome,
Thank you, I really enjoyed playing with the glow idea.:D

VictoriaS,
Thank you.
To answer your question, I am no expert in using pigments as I have just done a few of my works in them.
This is how I use them:
I use them as an oil medium but they can be mixed with a casine binder for acyilic use.
I mix the freshly ground pigment with some gum arabic to bind it and some good quality oil to give it some stretchability and then use pure turpentine to get the consistancy desired.
The ratio of the ingreadients I change depending on my painting.

Of course you must be very careful always with powdered pigments not to inhale any!:) especially when grinding or mixing it.

CarlyHardy
12-15-2001, 01:52 AM
Like your painting. Made me think of an explosion...gold mine?

I just bought a tube of copper metallic by Golden acrylic...is this the type of gold that you used?

zz
12-15-2001, 04:04 AM
Hi CHClements,
Thanks for your interesting interpretation!
This painting is done using all oil based pigments and oil paints.
However the paint you mention could be a similar type.

mjkohler
12-22-2001, 01:18 AM
zz, Hi, I like your painting a lot. Do you know you can buy gold oil paint now. However using that would be the difference between chalk and cheese compared to what you have done on your painting. I really like your composition it strikes a familair bell. The only thing I would like to see changed is that black line in the middle at the bottom, I'd move it to the left or the right :) mjk

MKathleen
12-22-2001, 06:38 PM
Excellent composition with beautiful rich colors good work!

Best,
Kathy

ThinkSeeDraw
12-30-2001, 10:38 AM
I LOVE this piece. Excellent work. When i first looked at it. I immediately saw a small child sittiing in blue, with the world's burdens piling upon the child, trying to overpower him. The child is trying to hide, but can hide no longer.
that's just me though :D

Demirose
12-31-2001, 06:08 PM
Oh I really like this! I, like Strawberrie, saw a person sitting there all huddled up trying to escape what it was experiencing. I think you have connected with something here. Great work!