PDA

View Full Version : Split decisions-jury service

pearlgirl
03-04-2005, 08:10 PM
I have been on a long case, serving as a jurer. I painted this, late afternoons, whilst serving. I can't believe how exhausting the whole process was! I feel like I've been wrung through a wringer...the good thing...I haven't slept better in years!!

Acrylics on canvas, 20x24 inches

C&C's welcomed and embraced. I want to learn :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2005/46128-Split_decicisions-jury_service.jpg
Detail
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2005/46128-Split_decisions-jury_service-detail.jpg

bbbilly1326
03-04-2005, 08:25 PM
no crits, it's drop-dead beautiful. Love the organicity of it with no recognizable forms, but very evocative --maybe landscape from above, or floating bark/seaweed in sunny turquoise water or...or....

Love the complexity of colors, the color combos, complementaries, composition, light, everything really.

No fault to find.

wiscojaydub
03-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Pearl girl..sorry..but yer painting..is...judged to be..un criticizable..you are here-by penalized for doing so great a work by being ordered to receive.. :clap: x1000 and a big ol' cyber hug and pat on de back!...whooo hooo! :) jaydub :D

MountainSong
03-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Welcome back Darlin'! :D Glad to hear you've been sleeping well.
You made some beauty while you were gone. Interestingly it has a watercolor feel to it - tricky it would seem with acrylics.
This looks like compressed minerals in semi precious stone - it is beautifully balanced and natural. :) I wish I had a crit for you, but alas. You must do it less well next time.*L* :wink2: Well Done PearlGirl.

chandlerjr
03-04-2005, 10:15 PM
PearlGirl,
I am sorry to have to tell you this but.............I have to echo what has been said. No crits here--very well composed piece of abstract art. Love the diagonal linear paint lines from upper left to lower right. I think MountainSong is right about the water color look in spots. Looks like some applied washes of color the upper right and lower left of painting. Nice! :clap:
Larry C.

FriendCarol
03-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Really lovely, finished work. I'm often scolded for my long diagonals, but if I could do with mine what you've done here, I don't think anyone could say anything negative. :)

I'm really curious about the 'whilst serving' bit... Assume you mean you did this after getting home (or to a sequestered jury's hotel room?), not that you had a 24"x20" piece of canvas and all your brushes & colors with you in the jury box?!?

SanDL
03-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Looks like some internal space is beginning to clear. :)
Be careful about accidental marks, there are 2 scuffy looking things in the center that are a little distracting.

Tamana
03-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Good to see you posting, Pearl. Despite the title, this one seems very atmospheric to me, almost like an aerial view. I really like the colors, especially the yellow/sienna together. It's like the mass acts as a delta filtering the onslaught of current.

FriendCarol
03-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Be careful about accidental marks, there are 2 scuffy looking things in the center...Hmm, I assumed those were intentional -- there are at least 3 similar marks, all at more or less the same angle. The only mark I thoght extraneous is the short dark one, way down at the bottom. I couldn't decide if it fit, and thought maybe it depended on scale, so I couldn't tell from this reduction.

pearlgirl
03-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Thanks all for looking and saying.

Bill...wow, that may well be the most positive comment for me yet. I'm glad you liked. I have barely hit 10 finished pieces yet so it's encouraging to know my reading and practise may mean I'm growing as a wanna be artist.

Jaydub...Mate, you're such a nice guy. Your presence in the forum is a real delight.

SingingBird...Thank you. I value your comments greatly. I really enjoyed doing this one. It allowed me to ease out of the courtroom drama. The more I paint the more relaxed I feel myself becoming...ya know!

Larry...Yep, I was playing with washes and also trying to put down my paint less heavily. I took some advice that was posted last week too...I have been strugging with depth. I think I managed to improve a little on that aspect in this one. Seems like to only place to go as a newcomer to painting is UP!

SanDL...I wondered about those marks. I put them there intentionally but later wondered if they belonged. I have trouble with scuffing on the outer edges of my work too and have noted it as a area to work on. Thank you for the crit. The only feedback I get is through this forum and I am so keen to learn.

Tam...Your words are always terrific. Thanks for saying.

FriendCarol...LOL. Yep, I did this at home after serving during the day. Managed to get paint on my good pants and shoes so I'm even beginning to wear the garb. I'm glad you liked this. It is encouraging. The very bottom mark was part of a plant I rested this against when photographing*L*.

Mary Woodul
03-06-2005, 10:24 PM
I feel perspective in this and I like the way you worked the textured blue next to the solid part. Very nice!