PDA

View Full Version : Horse Painting-progress- C&C??

BryAli
03-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Hello Everyone!

I've worked some more on my horse painting and have started the background. There is still lots to do! I need to fix the corner near the left of the horses neck--it should be green and grassy, not sky. The horse needs a mane and the grass needs to be done. Couple days or more left to paint, I would guess. Assuming I am able to work on it more this week.

I would appreciate any comments/critiques that you may have!!!

This is done in Acrylics on 16" x 20" gallery wrapped canvas.

Thanks!! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2005/36838-Horse-Progress.jpg

Mikey
03-04-2005, 11:55 AM
The horse looks good to me, but what do I know about horses. I'd want to put some shadow inside the ear to give it some structure. I think the clouds should be wispier and the sky graduated. Myself, I'd like the fence to be different to the horse in colour, not just tonally.

Mikey

BryAli
03-04-2005, 02:20 PM
The horse looks good to me, but what do I know about horses. I'd want to put some shadow inside the ear to give it some structure. I think the clouds should be wispier and the sky graduated. Myself, I'd like the fence to be different to the horse in colour, not just tonally.

Mikey

Thank you, Mikey :). The ear may need some definition between the two, but it is actually forward facing in the reference image and you can't see the inside. Maybe I could make the fence more gray, like faded wood? I don't want to move it....really like it there. I do think the sky needs to be graduated more, like lighter near the bottom toward the horizon...and the clouds should indeed be a little wispier, but how do I do that?? This is only my second Acrylic painting and I'm not too familiar with the techniques on how to make things appear soft and light. Any help with this is greatly appreciated!!

Mikey
03-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Yes, keep the fence. The best way to get wispy clouds is to feather the brush, or drag it very lightly, and soft brushstroke means a soft synthetic brush. Best paint wet in wet, but in a large area like a sky thats kind of tricky. Even retarder dries relatively quickly.

OK, we'll assume the blue sky is dry. I use this technique with both oils and arcylics with the appropiate mediums. It useful for acrylic blends as well. Use an absolutely clean brush to coat the sky with water which has a bit of retarder gel mixed in. I assume that you have been using Titanium White for the clouds and that's fine for the local colour, but it's not always the best thing for a subtle touch. Zinc White has much less body strength and is semi-transparent, so at this stage those qualities become advantages. It will flow and blend more easily and the blue can show through. You can still use it thickly for solid whites, and mix it with Titanium White for a little more strength. Another thing, if you want a really cheap brush for blending, which offers ultimate control your finger is pretty good.

Mikey

BryAli
03-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks, Mikey! I will definitely put these tactics to use! I don't have any extra time to paint tonight, possibly not even this weekend :( , but will work on it for sure later this week and post my progress :).

Jim Updegraff
03-04-2005, 11:21 PM
I know what has me bothered about this piece. It is the basic drawing. I suppose Iíd recognize this as a horse, and not, for instance, an elk, but it looks more like one on James Thurberís dogs than either a horse or an elk. But then I may have completely missed what you are trying to do. Take this for what it is worth and donít let me impose my biases about representation on your idea of what you want to create. I donít think the horse in Picassoís Guernica looks much like Man of War either.

BryAli
03-06-2005, 12:00 AM
I know what has me bothered about this piece. It is the basic drawing. I suppose Iíd recognize this as a horse, and not, for instance, an elk, but it looks more like one on James Thurberís dogs than either a horse or an elk. But then I may have completely missed what you are trying to do. Take this for what it is worth and donít let me impose my biases about representation on your idea of what you want to create. I donít think the horse in Picassoís Guernica looks much like Man of War either.

Thanks for your response, Jim. I'm not quite sure what to say to it though...
Anyone else that looks at the painting can most definitely tell that it is a horse and not an elk or dog. I need to look up the Picasso that you have referenced to as I'm not familiar with it. I also do not know who James Thurber is...sorry. I'm sitting here looking at the painting...and I just do not see where it could be looked upon as anything but a horse...

Here is my original drawing, for your reference :p :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2005/36838-drawing.jpg

Now, this may look more like a pony, but to me, it doesn't resemble much else! LOL

Jim Updegraff
03-06-2005, 10:54 PM
BryAli, I certainly donít mean to offend you or savage your painting. As I said before, I may not understand what you are trying to do. If you are trying to do a visually plausible representation of a horse, or of a particular sort of horse or a particular individual horse, it seems to me that you have an obligation to the work itself to represent the subject accurately. You would do the same thing if you were trying to do a painting of a human figure. While you might well just make up the figure, you should have an understanding of anatomy and some grounding in drawing from life. The same thing is true of doing a painting of a horse (or I suppose an elk of even of James Thurber) Ė you need to have an understanding of the animalís anatomy, its structure and how the parts go together and work. I donít think you have done that. Look at the animalís jaw and think about the bony structures and muscle bunches underneath the surface. Look at the ear and think about its form and structure. Look at the eye and think about its position in the skull. I donít think you have thought about any of those things enough to make this a plausible representation of a horse.

All that of course is merely my opinion.

Anita Murphy
03-06-2005, 11:15 PM
When I first saw this I thought the nose was wrong. Then I thought that it was the chin. When I scrolled down and found your sketch I saw that the horse's head angled slightly away from the viewer rather than in full profile - almost so you see the underneath of the head (Does that make sense?) . If that was your intention I love the idea of the different angle - very unusual but you have given the horse more cheek in the painting than in the drawing so the angle is different. I think the eye is lovely - feisty horse! And don't forget that in your sketch you have the mane drawn in but you don't have it in the painting and you may find that makes all the difference.
The more I look at it, the more I like it. Just keep going!
:)
KA

BryAli
03-06-2005, 11:30 PM
BryAli, I certainly donít mean to offend you or savage your painting. As I said before, I may not understand what you are trying to do. If you are trying to do a visually plausible representation of a horse, or of a particular sort of horse or a particular individual horse, it seems to me that you have an obligation to the work itself to represent the subject accurately. You would do the same thing if you were trying to do a painting of a human figure. While you might well just make up the figure, you should have an understanding of anatomy and some grounding in drawing from life. The same thing is true of doing a painting of a horse (or I suppose an elk of even of James Thurber) Ė you need to have an understanding of the animalís anatomy, its structure and how the parts go together and work. I donít think you have done that. Look at the animalís jaw and think about the bony structures and muscle bunches underneath the surface. Look at the ear and think about its form and structure. Look at the eye and think about its position in the skull. I donít think you have thought about any of those things enough to make this a plausible representation of a horse.

All that of course is merely my opinion.

Hey Jim,

I'm not offended in the least! Sorry if I came off that way, I'd had a rough day that day :rolleyes: . I am thankful for your critisism, even if I do not completely agree with your point of view. The history behind this painting is that my father-in-law asked me to paint it for my mother-in-law for Christmas (obviously it's late) hehe. I am just learning. This is only my 2nd Acrylic painting, and I have had no instruction (short of a small class in the 8th grade) in art. All that I have has been self-taught. Yes, I do see flaws with my painting and horse, I am just having trouble learning how to fix them, and only practice will make me get it. No on can do it for me, all I can do is ask for help. My in-laws are very happy with it so far, and I guess it's not meant to be anatomically correct. I do want it to appear as life-like as I personally can make it, and though it needs more work, I feel I have far surpassed my own goals. I look at the peice and cannot conceive that I have painted it. As a professional, I can see how it must look to you though. I really do appreciate your feedback, and I will work on my horses through drawing and sketching before I begin to paint another. Thank you for your time! :)

BryAli
03-06-2005, 11:34 PM
When I first saw this I thought the nose was wrong. Then I thought that it was the chin. When I scrolled down and found your sketch I saw that the horse's head angled slightly away from the viewer rather than in full profile - almost so you see the underneath of the head (Does that make sense?) . If that was your intention I love the idea of the different angle - very unusual but you have given the horse more cheek in the painting than in the drawing so the angle is different. I think the eye is lovely - feisty horse! And don't forget that in your sketch you have the mane drawn in but you don't have it in the painting and you may find that makes all the difference.
The more I look at it, the more I like it. Just keep going!
:)
KA

Hi KA :). I'm going to post my reference pic for your scrutiny :). I took a lot of work and instruction to help me get that eye done! Yes, the mane will be the last portion that I do. I was trying to get the sky done first. I'm tempted to work some more on it tonight, even though I'm dog tired :rolleyes: . We shall see! Thank you very much for your feedback, it's appreciated! I'm dedicated to finishing it, and will continue to post my progress :). Have a great week!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2005/36838-reference_pic.jpg

Anita Murphy
03-07-2005, 08:16 AM
Hi Alishia

I've had your reference picture, sketch and the painting open together and have compared them all. Your proportions are just a smudge out. The eye is slightly high. If you check the proportions it should be about a third down from the ears, and the cheek starts a little too high in the neck. At least if you want it to be exactly like the reference photo. As is it looks more like the horse is pulling its head back slightly the way they do when they have been frightened. The nostril needs to be a fraction larger too and I think the head is a little narrow. This sounds awfully picky! You are getting there :D Keep going.
Why did you choose a different colour for the coat?
Is he/she your horse?
KA

BryAli
03-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Hi KA~

No, I do not own a horse at the moment :). The coat is darker b/c my father-in-law is the one that asked me to do the painting for my mother-in-law. He was wanting me to depict her horse, but I was in TN at the time and he had no access to pictures of the horse. So, I got an image from the Reference Library here at WC and went to work with the intention of making it a darker horse. The proportions do not seem as off to me, as they may seem to others, but that is okay. My in-laws are very pleased with the horse as it is, and thought I plan to add more highlights and definition, I don't think I'll be re-shaping or moving anything on it. This is great advice for my next one though! Thank You!!

rosebard
03-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Hi Bryali,

I talked to you yesterday in the cafe chat. At that time I didnt know what to say. But then When I was going to close the windowfrom the internet explore with your horse I realized you painted the horse mainly with the midtones. Just some dark areas but the tone very alike the midtone. To me you need to work you color values, add the lights to gives the volume and form of the horse. The horse looks flat. But that you already realized as I saw in your last post. You are doing well for you first try. Like I told you, I am also going for my first try. Another thing is to becareful with the colors you put together in your painting. I dont know if you want your horse to be more realistic or not.

Anyway, nice to have talked to you on the chat and keep up the good work.

LisaArt
03-09-2005, 02:31 AM
Hi Alishia, Just wanted to say that you are doing a great job. You did capture the eye very well, Anxious to see more of the work going on. :wave:

BryAli
03-10-2005, 11:13 PM
I concentrated some on the fence, trying to make it different in color, rather than just tone so that it would stand out more from the horse. I got the thought that older fences that are weathered tend to turn grayish, and so I went with that. This is much closer to the original colors than the other pics, I've noticed. I'm not sure why though...they were both taken in natural light. Maybe it was cloudy the other day :rolleyes: .

Here is the update:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2005/36838-New_3-10_02.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2005/36838-New_3-10_01.jpg

C & C welcome :).

Mikey
03-11-2005, 09:47 AM
This is your second acrylic and good. Well you won't be a horse painter like Stubbs first try and nobody's going to expect that. What I'll encourage you to do is draw what you see, then look gain seeing more each time. It's so much easier for people who are around horses a lot, because they know what to look for. The thing to remember is that a horses head, just like a human's isn't flat.

Mikey

BryAli
03-11-2005, 09:56 AM
LOL! Thank you, Mikey. You are right, I won't be a horse painter, and definitely not on first try! If I could make it look like I want it, more definition, more 3-D, I would be so much happier! I'll just keep working on it :).

Anita Murphy
03-11-2005, 10:44 AM
It's coming - don't give up. More 3d is just about thinking of the shape and then shadowing and highlighting. If you're scared of applying heavy colour do it in gradual steps of washes. That way you will feel more in control of the process. Not that I know anything about it! :wink2:
KA

BryAli
03-14-2005, 01:01 AM
Update:

Well, I worked on the horse some...lightened some areas, added contrast to others...also played with the shape of the nose...still more to do :). Sorry, the pic is horrible! Hopefully this is an improvement though.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2005/36838-New_3-13.jpg

Anita Murphy
03-14-2005, 06:51 AM
Really coming on now. Well done. Can't wait to see the mane added.

KA

BryAli
03-14-2005, 09:38 AM
...Can't wait to see the mane added...

hehe, me too! :D