PDA

View Full Version : Something different-barn door - Painting on Wood Surface

Tom Christopher
03-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Hello artists- I decided to take a break form landscapes and try something different. this from a photo I took this afternoon. This is painted on masonite with pastel ground. Does anyone know how to prepare a wood surface panel using pastel gound? The surface I made seemed to eat the pastels rather quickly. I thought a wood surface wood work better when for working on large pieces. Comments welcome... thank you Tom

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2005/35607-red_door.jpg

Paula Ford
03-03-2005, 08:47 PM
WOW you are on a role...another winner Tom!!

Paula

meowmeow
03-03-2005, 08:53 PM
I don't konw anything about painting on wood....but I do know this old wood looks wonderfully weathered and textured...good job!

Sandy

SweetBabyJ
03-03-2005, 09:48 PM
My my my- you know what? That *almost* looks like a still life. :eek: I mean, when you think about it logically, it's definately more still life than landscape, soooo... I guess you ARE a still life painter, too!!

Congrats, Tom- this shows the same skill and attention to necessary detail that all your work does anymore. Nice stuff!

Marc Hanson
03-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Striking Tom and well done! Love it.

Not sure what you mean, what did you use on this one? If you're using something like Golden's pumice gel you're using a less agressive ground than one of the homemade versions.

I used to use one ( prior to Kitty's paper) made of Acrylic primer, powdered pumice or marble dust, a little acrylic medium and some water. You need to play around with the amounts until you find the formula that meets your needs. I found that applying this with a foam brushworked best. It didn't leave as many rough brush strokes as a hair brush leaves. Also, using another medium, or washing the initial layer of pastel with thinner to create an underpainting saves a lot of additional pastel in layers.

IndigoRed
03-03-2005, 10:42 PM
I was going to mention the same thing Marc.......i use tempered masonite from my hardwood store, then use 2 coats of liguitex gesso....then i use two coats of Goldens new ground called pumice gesso for pastelists....there two different kinds you can use tho.......might want to check out Goldens website they have all the news about it on there....i bought both kind in the finest of grade.....wonderful stuff.....but wont take on layers like kitties......tho what does lol...

Stephanie

Tom Christopher
03-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Striking Tom and well done! Love it.

Not sure what you mean, what did you use on this one? If you're using something like Golden's pumice gel you're using a less agressive ground than one of the homemade versions.

I used to use one ( prior to Kitty's paper) made of Acrylic primer, powdered pumice or marble dust, a little acrylic medium and some water. You need to play around with the amounts until you find the formula that meets your needs. I found that applying this with a foam brushworked best. It didn't leave as many rough brush strokes as a hair brush leaves. Also, using another medium, or washing the initial layer of pastel with thinner to create an underpainting saves a lot of additional pastel in layers.

That's just what I was looking for --thanks Marc. The brand I purchased is Golden pumice gel. I initiallay applied it with a brush then a roller--a foam brush makes more sense. I will give that a try...
Tom

dibblet
03-04-2005, 05:35 AM
I paint on wood all the time , I use art spectrum pastel primer, and use a rat roller (A small painter and decorator roller. I just give it 2 or 3 coats.

Dark_Shades
03-04-2005, 08:28 AM
Great Job...... Great Still Life :clap:

Tom Christopher
03-04-2005, 12:17 PM
My my my- you know what? That *almost* looks like a still life. :eek: I mean, when you think about it logically, it's definately more still life than landscape, soooo... I guess you ARE a still life painter, too!!

Julie and DS --the door blew open twice while I took the photo--so it can't be a still life....Right?. LOl... Tom

Nancy Leone
03-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Nice one, Tom.
I've used Art Spectrum pastel primer thinned with a little water and applied with a foam brush...gives a pretty even surface like sandpaper.

Mikki Petersen
03-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Tom, this has stunning realism! Love that bright red door. I have also used Art Spectrum Pastel Primer on masonite and find it to be about like working on Wallis as far as grit goes. I apply it with a damp foam roller in two coats working in opposite directions...one coat vertical and one horizontal.

Mikki

tURBOCAT
03-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Tom - finally getting a chance to post here - WOW!! I thought it was the photo ref and had to read it twice. Stunning color. I love it.

Did youlike thr prepared surface?

Johnnie

Tom Christopher
03-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Tom - finally getting a chance to post here - WOW!! I thought it was the photo ref and had to read it twice. Stunning color. I love it.

Did youlike thr prepared surface?

Johnnie

Hi Johnnie, I haven't perfected the mixture of ground quite yet, but I am getting closer. I am going to attempt a large pastel so I'm spending alot of time preparing the surface. I emailed Susan Olgivie PSA from California. She gave me some good ideas also. Her large pastels on board are masterpieces. Although the masonite surface is acceptable, it's still hard to beat Wallis paper for layering... Tom

prestonsega
03-05-2005, 11:19 PM
YES! this is fantastic,,,,,an old subject matter with a contemporary feel,,and you know I am loving the bright color!!! :clap: