PDA

View Full Version : etching 1st state

janemoth
03-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Here's the first state of my new etching, just in case the aquatint totally ruins it too there's documentation. ; )

Printmakerguy
03-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Here's the first state of my new etching, just in case the aquatint totally ruins it too there's documentation. ; )

This is great... I can tell it is going to be a great print. Lets' just hope that the aquatint turns out well!

-Andrew

printzessofthenorth
03-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Beautiful and intriguing. Do you do your etchings wet or dry? Is your studio at home?

debbie

H2O_Baby
03-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Lovely, JaneM! What a wonderful composition.

Diane Cutter
03-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Lovely, looks soft and elegant... What's the plate size?

Diane

janemoth
03-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Beautiful and intriguing. Do you do your etchings wet or dry? Is your studio at home?

debbie

Not sure what you mean by wet or dry, this is a new medium for me even though I've made etchings in the distant past. I worked into a hard ground with a needle and printed it on wet paper--if that helps. : / For Diane, it is a 12 by 9 inch zinc plate etched with nitric for ten minutes, that was bought from Utrecht, shipped ground, and printed on BFK white.
; )

Printmakerguy
03-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Ok- So I have to ask- What IS she getting ready to do to that bird??

Sunfilly
03-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Jane I really love this etching it is do delcate.

I think she is either a veterinarian or a cook. If she is a cook, then the pictures behind her is the menu. LOL!!! JK, I really think she is a veterinarian though, or a possibility she is a taxidermist. I have been in a few veterinarian's office and in a few taxidermist places and taxidermists have a lot of pictures on their walls of their subjects. Jane?

Ari Sutton
03-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Lovely, looks soft and elegant...

Diane, Those are exactly my thoughts when I looked at it. Very nice piece. The aquatint can really add some rich blacks to it. Maybe you should pull a series from the etching alone, then a v/e from the aquatint plate. I can't wait to see it.

Ari

sassybird
03-05-2005, 01:36 PM
This is an unusal print, and I like your compostion. Please be careful with the aquatint. If you have not worked with it for awhile it is better to practice on some plates before you go after a finished piece.

Jetsam
03-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Intriguing - but I expect no less.. I really like the atmosphere, or sense of mystery that often shows in your work. I hope the aquatinting is a success..
Carol

janemoth
03-07-2005, 03:36 PM

The truth is a bit more sinister, I'm afraid. I got the montage of finches from last month's Discovery magazine, which were in an article about evolution (they also had different species of orchids and dogs). I originally thought they would make a nice backdrop to a painting, but I'm also interested in classroom interiors, so I thought, what if I had a teacher or a student, or a teacher being watched by a student, dissecting a bird, but this chart was in the background and the birds were haunting the activity. I moved the birds around so most were watching. Here's another teacher painting:
http://www.geocities.com/teslathemothgod/teacher2.jpg

Oh, for the other question, I'm not working at home, I'm auditing a printmaking class at the community college by my house. When I say by my house I mean it's fifteen minutes away, but it takes two hours to get there by bus. They have nice facilities though.

janemoth
03-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Got the aquatint done, we made a chart for the new, diluted acid and then I cut those times in half again! I was busily printing the edition when I took the ink spreader plastic thing and there was a bit of metal or something sharp in the ink or on the spreader, and it gouged my plate, so I have to burnish it out. Drama is never far in this printshop, we'll see what happens next. : \

Printmakerguy
03-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Very nice! I like the way the aquatint turned out!

I like the explaination, too- That is what it kind of looked like to me, reminded me of biology class...

-Andrew

Jetsam
03-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Nicely done. For the white areas, I like that there isn't too much absolute white. (like in the upper right hand poster behind her). Did you just dot in the stop out, or did you take another approach?

Sunfilly
03-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Jane this etching came out so nice. The shading is perfect. Looks like you had the confidence to just jump right into the rosin and the the acid. LOL!!!! What did you use for a risist?

janemoth
03-14-2005, 09:00 PM
S, J, P, thanks all. I used the hard ground as stop-out, I know there are other things you can use but I don't know anything about that. I only used it on the glove, cheek, and shoulder and used the burnisher to soften the transition from the aquatint to the white areas. A test plate was run and then I cut those times in half too, 10&20 secs in more diluted acid figuring I could always go darker, but it proved to be ideal.

L