PDA

View Full Version : The Garvaugh Madonna after Raphael

Mikey
03-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Oils on 24 x 28 inch canvas

I'm quite certain I posted this as a WIP elsewhere, but it seems to have disappeared. I've been restating the darks today. It gives me a better idea of the flesh tones and such like.

Any comments please.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2005/28043-madonna_WIP_7.jpg

Gilberte
03-03-2005, 02:51 PM
I "think" that yes ... I saw it before as a work in progress. Lovely classical painting ... the children are sooooooo sweet or are they angels. Good continuation ... always interested ...

Mikey
03-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi Gilberte, I think this one us every bit as demanding as the big China painting. My regret here is not filling the canvas grain and sanding it down to smoothness. I wont finish it quickly. Thanks for the kind comments. There's more in this than is immediately obvious. I think copying is a great way to study the old masters.

Mikey

Mikey
03-06-2005, 03:29 PM
I've been putting some thickish paint with turps and oil down this afternoon.

Sorry about the uneven flash on a wet painting. You will appreciate that The Baptist's face isn't that red.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2005/28043-madonna_WIP_8.jpg

Mikey
03-07-2005, 10:39 AM
I'm having to paint he bodies again more lor less tonally as I begin to understand Raphael. Not only was the print too red, the on screen display gives so much more colour depth.

Mikey

Anita Murphy
03-07-2005, 10:56 AM
I found the original to do a comparison. You are so nearly there. :clap: The face of the Christ child (in arms) is not quite symmetrical. He also has a more rounded back in your picture. Colour is hard to comment on because you say the on screen version has more depth. Not sure where you are with the Madonna's right (as we look at it) hand but that needs some work. In the original she has a lovely plump hand. I'm interested to see how this turns out so please keep updating.
I agree about how much you learn from copying someone else.
KA

Mikey
03-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks for your encouragement present. My first mistake was not to fill the canvas grain, and then I did a freehand charcoal drawing. It was only I noticed Raphael's double pentagonal compostion used by so many artists of that time. Lessons learnt for another time I guess.

I'm gradually briging the colour in. I couldn't find Raphael's particular palette, so had to guess, although I'm using Cadmium Red as well as Red Oxide.

Mikey

LisaArt
03-08-2005, 04:05 AM
Hi Mikey, This is so interesting. I am really enjoying your WIP. it is looking fabulous!
I cant even imagine painting something like this. This seems to be quite a journey of learning!

laketrees
03-08-2005, 04:36 AM
Looking very good Mikey!!
Cheers Kim

Mikey
03-08-2005, 05:28 AM
Thanks Lisa and KIm. This kind of work seems to improve my technical abilty and confidence with the brush every time.

Mikey

Mikey
03-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Will this go on forever? present I have changed the Jesus child's face now. I hope it's better. Still ways to go.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2005/28043-madonna_WIP_10.jpg

laketrees
03-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Hi Mikey....you have captured that rosy glow on his face...the expression on all 3 faces is marvellous!!
cheers kim

LisaArt
03-09-2005, 02:28 AM
Hi Mikey, I agree with Kim. It is just smashing! Great work.

Mikey
03-09-2005, 03:57 AM
Thanks Kim and Lisa,

I'm pleased with this so far, because I have the feeling of being able to push through and become a better painter.

Mikey

Anita Murphy
03-09-2005, 08:56 AM
The Christ childs face is great. Doing a wonderful job! Keep us posted on updates!

KA

Mikey
03-09-2005, 09:09 AM
Thanks present. Doiing copies like this don't really help my creativity at all, but do inspire me often enough in some other way.

Mikey

nethra
03-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Wow !!!!
Its looks terrific !
Amazing work with wonderful colors !!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
luv it Mikey !

Spyderbabe
03-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Just a note of encouragment - I googled the original to compare and you're doing a great job!

Mikey
03-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks Nethra. The colours are down to Raphael, I just have to found out how to mix them.

Thanks Kathleen. I sshould have given the link, but here it is now.

http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=1659

Mikey

Esmeralinda
03-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Hi Mikey, just wanted to say I have no time right now to appreciate this. :(
I looked very quickly and seems really good. I come back very soon though, promise.

Linda :wave:

Mikey
03-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Many thanks for dropping in Linda. I appreciate that.

I am beginning to understand Raphael. He was working at a time when the guildsmen painters were finding themselves as artists. However, the old ethics of being superb craftsmen were still with them. Raphael was able to serve the new rich, those people who could not afford the satiated luxury of tapestries and gold sought after by old money. With these small Madonnas he was able to create objects of sublime beauty which were affordable.

However, in my own attempts to reproduce something of this beauty I am using an ill prepared factory canvas with a medium weave and that just doesn't work well enough. It is a lesson well learnt. Craftsmanship must be applied all the way through a painting like this.

There are some tone curve distortions in this file which show up the yellow rather too much.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2005/28043-madonna_WIP_10_cu.jpg

Esmeralinda
03-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Mikey, thank you. This is very interesting. You are coming along so well.
I admire your discipline and perseverence. Great job !

I remember seeing original tapestries of RaphaŽl in Italy but I was too young to appreciate as I would today. Hope to go back one day.

Take care,
Linda :wave:

shirleyq
03-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Mikey, this is looking great. :) The first thing that I noticed in the first picture was that her nose is a little askew. You have fixed it somewhat in the last view but it is still is not quite there. I think that maybe it is in the shadowing on the right and maybe the highlight could be moved a little on the tip - do you see what I mean? Also the leg on the bottom child looks like a club now but I am sure that you will get to it. :) You really have come a long way on skin tones.

Mikey
03-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks Linda.

Shirley, there are some mistakes I can easily correct such as the mouth and bridge of the nose. Some others I'll just have to leave and put down to experience I'm afraid. I value people pointing these tnings out to me.

Mikey

laketrees
03-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Hi Mikey....I had a look at the original....yours is coming along so well...everything seems to be in the right place....I know what you mean about copying the masters (did the pearl earring)...and you do learn so much...which I think in the long run..... has to enrich your own creativity because you can't help but learn new techniques along the way...
cheers kim

Mikey
03-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Thanks Kim. I've just been having a laugh looking through www.artbusiness.com.
There's these people selling authentic Picasso's, Chagalls and what have you on e-bay and the suckers are falling for it. So maybe I could sell this authentic, one previous owner Raphael with no provenance, saying it was owned by a poverty stricken noble family or something.
:wink2:

Mikey

laketrees
03-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Hi Mikey...have saved this website.....really had a laugh about selling fakes....I think you've got a potential fortune with yours...especially with the background you have supplied,,,lol ...I think I might just go and whip up a Da Vinci sketch he he what with the book out and all that.....mmm got my Munch 'scream" just sitting in the bedroom...wasn't that stolen last year....my minds ticking over now...thanks Mikey.. :D :D :D

Mikey
03-11-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks Kim, I'm glad you liked that. So now I must get on with it, inspired by the fact I can seel a genuine Raphael with a reserve price of maybe 200 US. Actaully no way, I'll keep it at that price.

Mikey

Mikey
03-12-2005, 12:12 PM
This seem to be going on without end. I see something else, put it in, the that changes other things. I'm happy about that because I'm learning so much from this.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2005/28043-madonna_WIP_11.jpg

Anita Murphy
03-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi Mikey - I'm so impressed by your persistance!
The madonna's chin is a little short so the face appears more round.
John the Baptist is great! So is the Christ baby!
I look forward every day to seeing what you post on this thread!

And you are so right - they were incredible craftsmen. Do you have any idea how long it took Raphael to paint this?
KA

Gilberte
03-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Oh Mikey, what can I say, the hands, the fingers, the fabric and the folds, I bet all those items keep you looking and checking out. I really do admire you for it and all I can say is B R A V O !

Mikey
03-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks present and Gilberte. I think determination is the one thing I have. It's looking better with thicker paint.

Mikey

laketrees
03-12-2005, 08:31 PM
This is looking...FANTASTIC...Mikey!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers Kim

Mikey
03-12-2005, 08:40 PM
This is looking...FANTASTIC...Mikey!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers Kim

Thanks Kim.

Mikey

Mikey
03-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Slow progress, so it seems today. The photo with my new outdoor assistant will give you an idea of what I've had to bring the painting photo from.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2005/28043-madonna_WIP_12.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2005/28043-madonna_cat.jpg

laketrees
03-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Hi Mikey...great assistant there...very laid back.. :cool: .I can see a big difference...amazing...the colours are so rich and the figures look as if they are breathing!!! :clap:
Cheers kim

Mikey
03-14-2005, 04:56 AM
Hi Mikey...great assistant there...very laid back.. :cool: .I can see a big difference...amazing...the colours are so rich and the figures look as if they are breathing!!! :clap:
Cheers kim

The end is in sight at last. I've got the detail to put in now.

Mikey

Anita Murphy
03-14-2005, 06:46 AM
I'm sitting here waiting, can't wait to see the finished result! :wink2:
KA

Mikey
03-14-2005, 08:21 AM
I'm sitting here waiting, can't wait to see the finished result! :wink2:
KA

Thanks present. I can't ait either, just believe me. It looks as if I'll have accept that won't happen today now. I have to do shopping and eat, things like that.

Mikey