PDA

View Full Version : New site for reference images

pencilnpen
03-02-2005, 01:59 AM
Hi Everyone, been busy with school, but came across this site for artist ref pics-
http://www.artmorgue.com/

looks like its new, but they have royalty free pics-

Robin

BlackFox
03-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Wow! Thats really cool! Thanks a lot! :D

pencilnpen
03-10-2005, 01:25 AM
Found another one, picturequest.com they are royalty free and if you register, there is no watermark.

Robin

gurleygirl
03-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Hi!
Another site to try is www.morguefile.com
It has some great photos!

Tracey

pencilnpen
03-18-2005, 02:53 AM
Tracey, that is a great site- thanks so much!!

Robin

gurleygirl
03-18-2005, 10:16 AM
You're welcome Robin! Let me know if you find anymore and I'll do the same. Have a GREAT day! :wave:
Tracey

andreak2000
03-18-2005, 10:23 AM
These are awesome, very helpful. Thanks!! :cat:
Andi

Quiet
03-18-2005, 12:27 PM
I would like to offer a warning about using reference photos such as these. It is common here at WC for people to take a photograph, copy it in its entirety, call the photograph “reference”, and call it a day. This is all well and good for a weekend warrior out to entertain themselves or their family with their art. If, however, you have aspirations of making a career of this, then do not copy photographs, unless those photographs are taken by you and you are aiming specifically at a career that involves heavy reliance on your own photography.

Reference photographs are useful for studying the anatomy of animals which you might not be able to see live, or in determining what the details of a ballista looks like, or in getting the feel for distant landscapes. The best use of reference photos for students lies in using them to wake the imagination and the intellect up to ideas which your current surroundings aren’t generating in you. Copying photographs teaches only how to copy photographs. Don’t cut corners in your education if you’re serious about it. Use all reference images with care.

Peter Rabbit
04-27-2005, 07:03 AM
also keep in mind that stock reference photo companies a lot of times drive illustrators and graphic designers out of jobs. These specifically may not, however it is much easier for a corporation which is looking to spend as little money to get their message across to look to stock photo places to pick out the images they want. Just something to be aware of for those of you who might like to one day make a living with your work (as hard as that may be).

SunShadow
05-05-2005, 04:35 AM
Hey, thanks all for the sites, and thank you for the insight about them too :)
I am continually learning about photos- stock, reference, or anything other wise! thanks!

take care

arielle