mansuri
12-08-2001, 06:18 PM
Do you think this is a good use of color? If not why? Sorry
about the bad photo job. Thanks in advance.:cat:

FM

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2001/end.jpg

llis
12-08-2001, 08:51 PM
Tell us a little more about what you are trying to accomplish and may be we can help you. Right now you seem to have a two-fold mission. One is the graphic design pattern... the other your color choices. Which do you wish to lead? Is this a painting, fabric, a study.... Just need a bit more information. What medium?

mansuri
12-09-2001, 01:03 AM
Its a study. Oil on Board 12X18. I am looking for a pattern that does not take the center of interest away from the color and yet be recognizable. My questions are:

Does the painting look harmonious (sp)?

Do you think the color could have a
better impact in some other arrangement?

The pattern is supposed to a means to an end
and so are the colors. That is the central theme
does the study run(or walk) away from it?

Thanks llis

llis
12-09-2001, 12:02 PM
Okay, I had one other thought...

On color arrangement.... depending on what impact you would like to make on the viewer....I think using complements next to each other would give you the most visual impact.

Next to your red block.... place a green block...but make your red block larger than the green one. As a matter of fact... probably making all the blocks different sizes would be good.

Next to your blue block... place orange...

Next to your purple ...place yellow

Of course, this is just my opinion of what I would do....and certainly not the only answer. You could do another study and use analogous values in your blocks, which would be really cool, I think. (closely related colors)

I also see how you could do a study with blocks they way you are using them to show how using one color (say blue) mixed in with all the other colors could bring harmony to your painting. What you would do is pick your colors... then when you go to paint your yellow block... just add a tad of blue.... when you paint your red block...add a tad of blue... when you panit your purple block...add a tad of blue.

Gosh the possibilites are endless.

Also... the block that you use on the bottom left.... I think I would have placed it as the center block, if I were going to make all the blocks the same size. As I look at it now, it demands my attention and does take away from the rest of the painting, I think too much. This probably doesn't make sense, but that is how my eye is working today. :)

henrik
12-16-2001, 06:11 PM
I think the white square is the odd one. Looks almost cut out. It is so different from the others in value. Try some other color there and see if you like it better. (If I cover the white square with my hand when looking at the image the rest looks more united).

diphascon
12-17-2001, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by henrik
I think the white square is the odd one. Looks almost cut out. It is so different from the others in value.

maybe it's not the white as such but the brightest value kissing the margin ... looks odd against a white background.

cheers

martin

henrik
12-17-2001, 08:53 PM
martin, yeah, the cut out is because it is white on white background. But I still think it is off in value in relationship to the other squares.