PDA

View Full Version : Just popping in to say hello

BevL
01-31-2001, 09:29 AM
I've been looking at the tolework posted here. Very nice!
I taught myself to tolepaint, as I lived in the boonies and couldn't get to classes.
None of the work I did was my own design, I bought many books and pattern packets by the many wonderful decorative artists. Betty Caithness, Suzie Saunders, Gail Anderson, etc. Nothing in my house was safe anymore, so many things have been stripped down and painted!
And of course, my friends' houses are also full of projects I painted.
Do you find you can't look at something such as a piece of wood furniture without picturing it with tolepainting on it? http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif

Bev

ReNae
01-31-2001, 11:09 AM
BevL,

Well, Hello!

I was self taught as well, but mine was therapy. Everyone in my family has tole work I've done. I have only a few pieces. I keep giving it away!

I learned not to paint on everything. That really ruins some pieces that should be left alone, like antiques or a nice piece of cherry. But, I did find myself thinking of what I could express on it!

I believe tole has opened many doors for some, but I have found myself leaning very far away from it now. I believe it wasn't expressive enough for me. Or maybe I just got bored and tastes change. But that doesn't mean one should not do tole if they enjoy it! This is only my feelings.

Warmth,
ReNae

------------------
The bird sings not because it has an answer. The bird sings for it has a song.

Gisele
02-02-2001, 04:24 PM
I've just finished a year of courses on tole painting. I thought it was a nice break from watercolor and most of what I did has been given away or sold.The major block, I think, is finding an original wood project at an affordable price.I enjoy creating my own images but I feel it is time for me to get back on the watercolor track!
I will be making a few things,now and then;maybe post some of them too...I'll see
Gisele