PDA

View Full Version : What the Eyes Have Seen-portrait of a nun

peoplepainter
02-28-2005, 06:43 AM
Well, just sat down to doodle and ended up with this. No reference and I don't know why I ended up with this as a final painting. I'm not Catholic but I am always fascinated by nuns faces. This one is of course, just my take on what I see in their faces and is a bit exaggerated. I guess it goes without saying that I did this quickly and quite loosely compared to usual.
Painter 9 oil brushes.

Thanks for looking.

Lisa

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2005/43849-Nfull.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2005/43849-ndet.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2005/43849-ndet2.jpg

Brattgirl
02-28-2005, 11:30 AM
It completely amazes me that you did that out of your head! I need a reference picture for everything. And her eyes fascinate me! They look so life like and so full of emotion! Your work is truly an inspiration to me! :)

rjKing
02-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Lisa.. bravo! Stepping outside your comfort zone can be quite disconcerting! Love this piece.. very deeply felt. :clap: :clap:

AuntBe1
02-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Quite amazing! I've always been drawn to the quiet concern in the eyes of an elderly nun. This one seems as if she is carrying the world on her shoulders, told by the eyes.
Belinda

peoplepainter
02-28-2005, 04:30 PM
Brattgirl, thank you so much. I also need a reference for everything most of the time. I just thought I would doodle and see what happens this time. You always say the nicest things. I don't know what I have done to inspire you but I am sure happy you are inspired!
RJKing, you are so right that this is out of my comfort zone. In fact, I almost didn't post it for that reason. I have dozens of paintings I have never shown anyone because like this, they don't look like anyone in particular (or something else is wrong with them). I'm glad you see something in this one though and I really appreciate your comments.
Belinda, that is so well put..."quiet concern." Yes, I see that in many nuns faces. It really makes me smile that you see in the painting what I tried to portray; a heart burdened by time but still with some peace.

It's odd, but I think to convey some real emotion in a face it almost has to be a caricature to a degree. Do any of you think that is true?

Thank you all for the kind comments. It means a lot to me that you even look at the paintings and more that you really seem to care about the intent.

Lisa

JCoop
02-28-2005, 04:44 PM
Lisa, you're ridiculously good!... flyin' without an net and all. I love this... down to the shiny little cross! The mood is fabulous and the colors are saturated and muted at the same time... you genius, you! :clap:

rjKing
02-28-2005, 05:32 PM
It's odd, but I think to convey some real emotion in a face it almost has to be a caricature to a degree. Do any of you think that is true?

If its the face alone. If body language is included, the expression can be very subtle and it will read well. I'm an ex-dancer, so I'm kinda sensitized to this. I've found that small hints to mood in a pose can add so much to feeling in a painting..

Terry Wynn
02-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Hi, Lisa,

I'm not Catholic either but this reminds me of Mother Teresa (not sure of the spelling)! She worked so hard and looked so wizened and aged near the end. But, I really admired her gumption. These eyes remind me so much of her.

Excellent from your imagination!

Terry

peoplepainter
02-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Joel,
My check for your compliments is in the mail. Let me know when it gets there. (thank you)

Richard,
You are so right about movement and that is honestly something I haven't been able to get right with figurative paintings. Seems my paintings are so tight that I miss that subtle hint at mood in moving forms. I'll have to work on that.

Terri,
Thank you. Yes, maybe a Mother Teresa (not sure of spelling either) type. Looking at it, I really couldn't peg the age. Maybe she is older than her years or the other way around. In any case, it's fun to work out of your imagination at times.
Hey, where are you in central MO? My sister is in Columbia. Any where near there?

Thanks,
Lisa

jonesbf
02-28-2005, 10:49 PM
This is really awesome. Did you intend for her to come out with that heavy mood or was that just how it ended up? Almost every piece I have done without reference has just come out the way it ended up. I hope to one day learn the control to draw/paint with a certain mood and temperature in mind.

BFJ

llanpe
02-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Lisa, always is a pleasure to look at a new work from you, everything is fantastic, but ..., once again.... THOSE EYES ....!, always full of life and expression. Love it.
Thanks for sharing.
Peter

Artist1955
03-01-2005, 12:43 AM
:clap: :clap: Lisa I look at paintings almost daily on here and on the web, it is always good to see others work to improve one's self. I must say that it is rare that I see a painting that really speaks, which is what every artist,s goal is. Lisa these eyes speaks to anyone who sees it. I am not Catholic neither but this is a painting I would not mind hanging in my home. Make sure it doesn't get stuck in a pile of paintings, you should display this masterpiece proudly.

Robert

alfredart
03-01-2005, 02:50 AM
Doodle......DOODLE! You really need to sit down and doodle more often. Wonderfully done.

Peace,
AL

peoplepainter
03-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Jonesbf,
Thanks! Well no, I didn't have any intentions when I first sat to doodle. After shaping the face and remembering my impressions of older nuns, it just happened that way I guess with some intention at a point.
Peter,
You are very sweet and thoughtful. I enjoy your work as well. I do love to paint eyes and I always hope they have expression. Thank you.
Robert,
I don't know that we have met yet, but first, nice to meet you (or see you againif I have fogotten). Secondly, you have really given me quite a compliment and I appreciate it very much. When I doodle for practice and fun, the work does end up in a pile I never touch. Maybe I will rethink this one. Thank you for looking.
Al, LOL. I need to do the work I should be doing more often but it is so much more fun to play. Your comment always make me smile. Thank you.

Thanks, frineds!

Lisa