PDA

View Full Version : mobiles in motion (movies)

tritium_pie
12-08-2001, 12:29 PM
hi all--

I've uploaded a couple of 15-second mpeg movies of Study 9 in motion. they're kinda amateurish, but if you're curious, feel free to download them and check them out. (if you're on a dial-up, it'll take about 4 minutes per movie-- sorry!)

please click this link: www.maglevmobiles.com/mobiles.htm
and go down the page to Study 9. They're labeled Movie A and Movie B.

I'll upload more movies of other mobiles soon. hope you enjoy these!

B

Yielding
12-09-2001, 12:21 PM
I liked the movies you made, gives a better understanding of what they are really like, hard to show a sculpture that moves with still pictures.

It would be cool to make a movie with sound.

tritium_pie
12-09-2001, 12:39 PM
I'm glad you liked 'em. I'll make a few movies of the larger mobiles too-- I tend to like those better since they sweep larger arcs.

Re: movies with sound-- you're not really missing anything, since all you'd probably hear is me blowing on the vanes of the mobiles.

B

Yielding
12-09-2001, 09:29 PM
Sound - not real sound, music or ocean wind, something like that.

Can you get them to move on there own with a small motor that would not be visible or magnet force?

sandge
12-09-2001, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Yielding
Sound - not real sound, music or ocean wind, something like that.

Or maybe a tune? Now what's that song - The answer, my friends, is blowin' in the wind :evil:

Seriously, though, I would think the movies are better without sound. If they are advertising the product, folks might be disappointed if the real mobile doesn't come with sound.

tritium_pie
12-09-2001, 10:27 PM
I'll look into adding sound, but I don't really know how. I only recorded the movies with a little digital still camera that has the option to record short movies, and just uploaded those mpegs. I might have to download some kind of free digital movie editor or something-- if they exist!

If anybody has any advice on adding music to the mpegs, pls. let me know!

re: motor-- My solar mobiles move with the light from a halogen lamp or mottled sunlight. I had to use a highly specialized motor and a super-light carbon fiber prop because weight is a major issue with anything magnetically levitated. The motor is about the diameter of a cigarette and half as long. what's really neat is when it's breezy out as well as sunny, and to watch which force of nature wins out from moment to moment; sun-vs.-wind.

max nelson
12-10-2001, 09:05 PM
Tritium..my modem is so slow (it's hooked to the phone with string) so have not downloaded. Would be here till "Happy New Year"! So..favor..just give us a still shot so us dark ages guys can view..pleeeease.:)
Max:)

tritium_pie
12-10-2001, 09:17 PM
max-- I have a buncha still photos on my website. go to this URL: www.maglevmobiles.com/mobiles.htm (it's the same URL as where I have the 2 movies)

re: glacial dial-up service-- max, I know your pain. :)

B

ZOTMA
12-11-2001, 03:08 PM
Great to see the piece moving and commanding space.
The difference between the two movies, the variation in shape is fantastic.
The mobile seems as though it would be constantly unique and stimulating in it's newness each time you gazed in it's direction. Of course you'd have to since it's movement would draw your eyes irresistibly.
I enjoy the grace of it's simplicity. It moves but it's not busy, it's dynamic without being overbearing.
Thanks for showing those movies, a good implement to convey what these sculptures really can do.

diane555
12-11-2001, 04:13 PM
Tritium-pie: The mobiles are lovely, especially when moving!! But....I only got to see the bottom two segments moving due to the 'shorter string' on our phone line :D Had to rewind several times but I got to see it move !! We do have cable: I just haven't figured out how to get these things all networked yet.

I really like the way this mobile looks, reminds me of paddles swooping through the calm water somehow. Thanks for sharing.
PS. I kind of like it quiet.

Di :)