PDA

View Full Version : HELP -- eBay bidders have gone nuts!!!

hairballsdotcom
12-08-2001, 10:49 AM
OK, many of you know I put up several prints (15) for auction on eBay this week. 8 of the auctions have been bid on, most are still at the minimum bid -- this is more or less what I expected (unlike my experience several months ago with NO bids.)

HERE'S THE PROBLEM or is it a PROBLEM?
One print has been bid on numorous times and is currently OVER $100!!!!! :eek: Are these people NUTS???? This is a PRINT!
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1043473929

SHOULD I BE HAPPY? :clap: CONFUSSED? :confused: CONCERNED? :rolleyes: I'm not sure....
What do you all think?

tammy
12-08-2001, 11:41 PM
[i]HERE'S THE PROBLEM or is it a PROBLEM?
One print has been bid on numorous times and is currently OVER $100!!!!! :eek: Are these people NUTS???? This is a PRINT!
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1043473929

[/B]
You won't know if they are nuts or if it's a real problem unless you find that at the end of the auction they've skipped town or unless you have other problems with payment etc. (This happens alot).
I do hope it is a valid buyer for you! Congrats!

kjsspot
12-09-2001, 02:57 PM
Hope the bidder pays!!! Won't that be fab?? =D

<---fingers crossed for ya while scrambling to see if I can find a siamese to paint. LoL

Paintbrush74
12-09-2001, 03:05 PM
Posted by Hairballs:

SHOULD I BE HAPPY? CONFUSSED? CONCERNED? I'm not sure....

I'm sure that you are an honest person, with an honest description in the auction, so your only real concern right now is that the winner pays. When that happens, as it probably will, send the art and rejoice!

Lenora

sandge
12-09-2001, 03:19 PM
It is a very compelling image. It looks like you might have hit lucky with a few keen bidders who really want the picture. It will be interesting to see what happens in the last few hours.

CarlyHardy
12-10-2001, 11:50 PM
I noticed your prints when you first listed them! Loved this one since I had a black cat when I was younger. Also noticed the bidding on it...lucky you!! Your description is very clear about what the buyer is receiving so you should have no problem. Don't ship until the payment is received...if its a personal check or e-check, then check your bank to make sure it clears.

If the high bidder does flake out on you (I doubt that will happen) you can always contact the second highest bidder and offer it to them. But remember, if you have a problem with selling other than to the high bidder, ebay will not help out in any way and you won't be able to leave negative feedback.

Let us know how it goes!! and congrats on a great sale!
carly

arteitaliana
12-11-2001, 02:00 AM
Congratulations!! Your prints are quite beautiful and they deserve a good price. Jeff Cohen sold a painting for over $2200 a few days ago. Good art is eventually noticed...even on ebay.:)

kjsspot
12-11-2001, 12:36 PM
Hi Rita,

I checked out Jeff Cohen's work. I admire his guts at starting his prices at 1!!! What does "Listed" mean in his titles?

My quick watercolors are been selling quick nicely. I've only had two that have ended without a bid (YEAH) and now have 13 paintings that have sold or have bids on them. Not bad!! =) I need more time to paint! <g>

Anyway, I've been thinking about doing some oils along with the watercolors. Perhaps ones that take me a bit longer. Jeff has made me think of this even more. =)

arteitaliana
12-11-2001, 09:34 PM
Jeff Cohen can well afford to be brave!! He has been listing on ebay for a couple of years now, he must have a large number of fans fighting to get his work. He always does featured auctions.
I tried the $1 featured and...I was so scared for the first few days! Luckily I ended up selling at decent price. So, unless you know that you have a crowd of lovers of your stuff waiting for your listing, better not try the $1 minimum bid !!
Also, it does not hurt to be a good painter.LOL!

JeffG
12-13-2001, 02:36 PM
What could possibly be the advantage for putting such a low starting bid on a work?

(I admit I don't know much about EBay, but that's one thing I definitely don't get.)

tammy
12-13-2001, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by JeffG
What could possibly be the advantage for putting such a low starting bid on a work?

(I admit I don't know much about EBay, but that's one thing I definitely don't get.)
I think the idea is to intice bids started that way and ideally for it to be so popular that the bid continues to go up and up. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work like that.

CarlyHardy
12-15-2001, 12:31 AM
Just wondering if the buyer has received the print yet? and what kind of feedback have you gotten?
carly

hairballsdotcom
12-15-2001, 09:36 AM
So, eBay bidders may be nuts BUT I've got my money! One print sold for $127 and is on its way to Australia -- how COOL is that?!?!

Another sold for over $40, one is on its way to the UK and then several went for the minimum bid. The mimimum was way under what I can afford to sell them for on a regular basis, but I think they did get some traffic to my site which is worth something.

No feedback yet -- I'm guessing none have been received yet since most did not go Priority Mail. The non-US/Canada ones did go Global Priority -- that was a real headache at the Post Office.

--Lori Lee
Hairballs.com Cat Art

hairballsdotcom
12-15-2001, 09:44 AM
This time I plan to continue selling on eBay even if I don't get bids. I'd like to continue to have auctions up all the time just to see if sales increase gradually over time as I prove my staying power.

Here's my strategy -- tell me if you think this makes sense....

1) I create a new image (art print).
2) I list it on ebay at a low minimum bid. This will be mostly art that is NOT for sale in my online gallery.
3) When the auction is over (regardless if sold or not) I relist the print, each time increasing the minimum bid by $2 to $4.
4) After relisting about 3-4 times, I move the "art" to my online gallery and offer it for my
standard price.

My theory here, is that anyone following my art on eBay will realize they better jump in with a bid and maybe get it for the minimum, because the next time the minimum will be higher. Plus if they go to my online gallery, they'll realize that the minimum is 1/4 to 1/2 what I normally sell my prints for.

Should I actually post my intentions on my ME page? If people go there and understand that the print they might be interested in will only be relisted for auction 3 or 4 times AND each time the minimum will increase, might this give them a sense of urgency and nudge them to bid?

When I first came up with this idea, it sounded great...now I'm not sure. Opinions?

CarlyHardy
12-15-2001, 03:17 PM
Well...I like your idea for relisting a minimum number of times, but I don't think I'd say that I was going to raise the minimum bid each time. If someone is following an auction...they will notice that on their own. On your ME page you could focus on the fact that these prints will only be offered on ebay for a limited time and then become available on your website where they will be sold at the regular price.

That should get curious viewers to check out your website and they will see that your prices are higher there. Then they will want to bid on the ebay items but it will also give them a chance to see your other works.
carly

kjsspot
12-15-2001, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by CHClements
On your ME page you could focus on the fact that these prints will only be offered on ebay for a limited time and then become available on your website where they will be sold at the regular price. That should get curious viewers to check out your website

Carly! That sounds like a GREAT idea!

hairballsdotcom
12-15-2001, 11:45 PM
Well...I like your idea for relisting a minimum number of times, but I don't think I'd say that I was going to raise the minimum bid each time. If someone is following an auction...they will notice that on their own. I think I agree with this. The concept of only relisting X number of times is easy to explain. Explaining that my minimum bids will increase with each relisting would be much harder to get the point across.
On your ME page you could focus on the fact that these prints will only be offered on ebay for a limited time Yes, good idea! That does sound like it would increase traffic IF people go to the ME page. I need to work more on my ME page.
Thanks Carly for the suggestion.

hairballsdotcom
01-05-2002, 11:52 PM
Just an FYI to let everyone know that the first auctions I did in Dec. 2001 were a great success! Everyone from the those auctions have received their art from me and have left glowing feedback, including the person that got me started on this thread.
http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=cat-artist

MY NEW YEARS RESOLUTION (one of them at least) -- Keep eBay auctions going at all times thru 2002 -- I hope I can keep that resolution, although it certainly will take some organizing and dedication.

I've already had a few auctions end and have had REPEAT business from previous high bidders! Doesn't get better than that!

Good luck to everyone for this coming year.
2002 will be the best yet!

Sumafra
01-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Congrats, Lori. Glad things are going so well for you.

Happy New Year to you too.

kjsspot
01-06-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by hairballsdotcom
Good luck to everyone for this coming year.
2002 will be the best yet!

THANKS Lori Lee! I had a brief lull over Christmas but things are picking up very quickly now! I'm excited! I've also started including a few other Outsider Artist's in my sales and have moved to KJO Art Gallery presenting... I also have another artist lined up within about a month or so that is not an Outsider Artist.

Caron
01-11-2002, 01:02 PM
Ive just been reading thru this thread and thought to go and check it out. Congratulations!! I also visited your web page and its a great place to kick your feet up and visit awhile!!<br>
BTW, I added one of my own kittys names to your list! Hope to see more great works from you!:)
Caron