PDA

View Full Version : Exchange?

Printmakerguy
02-27-2005, 08:25 AM
We have a LOT of new (and VERY talented) members here now, and it has been a while since we have had a formal printmaking exchange project... How many are interested?? I was thinking about starting a new project thread, but want to make sure that there are enough interested parties!

I think that we should do it the same way that we did in the past- Come up with a subject, a Max. Size, and like last time make the exchange part optional... To save postage, I can act as 'Swap master' again.

For the new people, who have yet to participate, it is pretty simple- You make a print, in an edition large enough to send one to each memeber of the swap (We are a nice small group, so in the past that has meant like 10-15 max- Not TOO overwhelming!!). You then send ALL of your swap prints to me (or to another 'Swapmaster'), along with a couple of bucks for postage, and I distribute them into envelopes, and mail them to each participant. This saves us a lot of $$$ on postage!

If you are interested, let me know... I will get something going!! I am thinking a nice, LONG work period- Wouldnt need to have the prints ready to go until early summer sometime, so we all have time...

-Andrew

H2O_Baby
02-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Andrew, do you set a max & min size for the prints? I would love to participate!

Printmakerguy
02-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Andrew, do you set a max & min size for the prints? I would love to participate!

We usually set a max, for mailing reasons, as oversized prints cost so much more to send (Ask debbie, AKA Printzess of the North, how much she spend sending 'Acoustic Pulse' out :D ), but no Minimum.

I am not a big fan of restrictions, I like to let everyone be as free as possible...

-Andrew

LilKitten
02-27-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm up for it, Andrew. We should probably max out at the highest size you can fit in a priority mail envelope for the sake of conveneince? I think that's a 9 x 12

kitten the deviant arting kitten

NWard
02-27-2005, 12:35 PM
I would love to be involved.
-Nick

Diane Cutter
02-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Count me in, too, Andrew...

Diane

CBHutch
02-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Sounds like great fun! I'd love to do it.

Cheryl

alice's arts
02-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Sounds fun, I'd like to participate in the exchange too
-Alice

Sunfilly
02-27-2005, 06:23 PM
Me too count me in.

Ari Sutton
02-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Right now my time is pretty tight, with the rebuilding of the house, school, work, etc. But I'd like to try to get in on this one if I could. Any theme yet?

Ari

Printmakerguy
02-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Ok, so it looks like we are going to have PLENTY of participants!!

I will get an official project up next week sometime- Here is what I am thinking-

1) Media- Any type of printmaking

2) Size- 8x10, fits best in the priority mail envelopes... CAN be smaller, this is a MAX size. I would also like to put together a portfolio to put them all in, along with artists info, so keeping the 8 x 10 size just makes that easier...

3) Theme- Not sure. Something pretty open, I don't like to restrict people too much. Something like 'ELEMENTS', or "NATURE"- Leave it open for the artist.

4) Due Date- Sometime early summer, since everyone is BUSY!

Any suggestions on anything above are welcome, post them here or PM me...

-Andrew

Ari Sutton
02-27-2005, 09:29 PM
How about something like warmth or happiness for a theme? Other expressions?

Ari

Joost
02-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Really nice initiative :clap: . Count me in (assuming Europe base is not an issue). Nice project to use as carrier for my polyester litho experiments.... Will probably take the liberty to give a very loose interpretation to a theme, if any.

vhere
02-28-2005, 12:10 PM
it sounds fun - is digital ok? I may/may not have time for other printmaking in time as am really busy with paintings.

Printmakerguy
02-28-2005, 06:31 PM
it sounds fun - is digital ok?

In the past, we have not allowed digital, but I would be interested in everyone's opinion of this.

Really nice initiative . Count me in (assuming Europe base is not an issue)

Europe is not a problem at all... We have had participants in Australia before. The first swap I was around for (I missed out on participating- it filled up too fast!) everyone mailed prints out to each participant, meaning if there were 10 people, you paid postage for 10 prints... Gets kind of expensive, especially with overseas addresses.

The way we do it now, you pay the cost of 2 mailings- You send ALL your exchange prints to me (if there are 10 in the swap, you send me 9, unless you REALLY want me to send one back to you :)), along with a couple of dollars postage (Or this can be PayPalled to me, probably easier for overseas people). I package the prints, and mail them out. In the past, I even had the ambition to make up custom folios for the exchange (like the one below), but I won't make any promises....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/645/completed/36273/folio_copy.jpg
-Andrew

vhere
03-01-2005, 03:16 AM
ok - see what people think about digital. You can see my digital images on my website and they are only done in editions of 20. If no, then I'll try to get and etching or lino done.

Joost
03-01-2005, 06:29 AM
In the past, we have not allowed digital, but I would be interested in everyone's opinion of this.

I vote for allowing digital. Imho it does not make sense to close our eyes for new technologies, especially in an exchange project like this, when we do want to learn from and appreciate one another's work.

As suggestion some restrictions: no reproductions, limited edition, use of archival quality ink, printed on fine art paper (glicee print).

NWard
03-01-2005, 10:27 AM
While I am also not against allowing digital into the swap, I would like to take this opportunity to apply a little peer pressure. Here is the perfect excuse to find a little time for printmaking! :D DO IT DO IT!

vhere
03-01-2005, 10:37 AM
:D ok

NWard
03-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Thats right, EVERYBODY'S doin' it! :clap:

H2O_Baby
03-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Hey Andrew, we are all ready to get going on this - I can't wait to see what the topic is.

We had a print workshop with Bob Siegelman up here a few summers ago and he really challenged our creativity with emotional topics. You know, the "print birth & death" sort of thingie. It was a most interesting workshop. That wasn't one of his topics BTW so you could feel free to use it!

Printmakerguy
03-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Ok, I am going to work on getting the project officially posted in the system this week. Here is what I am going to put up-

1)THEME- Emotion. Interpret this HOWEVER you want to.

2) TYPE RESTRICTIONS-

I THINK that the general consensus here was that we should limit to traditional printmaking methods, as that is what this particular forum is geared towards- So we are going to leave that restriction in place again this time. Any form of traditional printmaking is acceptable, as long as it is hand-pulled (or pulled by hand from a press!). This includes linocuts, woodcuts, lithos, etching, drypoint, etc etc.

3) Size-

8 x 10 paper or smaller.

4) Deadline- Lets say you should have your prints in to me, the SWAPMASTER, by Mid- June. This gives EVERYONE plenty of time. I should be off my ship for the entire month of june, so will have no problem getting the swap done at that time.

Like I said, I will put this in the 'Official' WC project system, and at that time you can sign up. There will be limited slots (I am thinking 15), so sign up early!! In the past, I know that SOME have filled up, But I want to keep the number relatively low so it isnt overwhelming to swap.

Dont want to swap but still want to participate? Not a problem. We will make the swap OPTIONAL, but just let us know ahead of time so we know how many prints we need to make!!

Keep an eye out for the project thread once it is approved!!

-Andrew

Ari Sutton
03-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Andrew,

I like the topic.

I agree with Nick. This is a printmaking forum. Therefore, the projects should be fine arts prints rather than reproductions or digital prints. There is a place in art and on wet canvas for both of these things, but is isn't here.

Looking forward to signing up. Please post something here when you have it up. I don't check the project board often and I am afraid to miss out.

Ari

H2O_Baby
03-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Great topic! I think I created a monster.

Thanks for the challenge, Andrew.

Diane Cutter
03-01-2005, 06:57 PM
I agree with Nick. This is a printmaking forum. Therefore, the projects should be fine arts prints rather than reproductions or digital prints. There is a place in art and on wet canvas for both of these things, but is isn't here...
Me, too... We are such a mis-understood art form that I'd like to see it limited to editions of hand-pulled prints... Monoprint/monotype artists are also out of luck on this swap...

Diane

lokates
03-01-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm in! Would a varied edition be acceptable? I'm thinking about trying chine colle with some handmade papers in the near future and as far as I understand, since each print will differ slightly, it can't be a regular edition.

Printmakerguy
03-01-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm in! Would a varied edition be acceptable? I'm thinking about trying chine colle with some handmade papers in the near future and as far as I understand, since each print will differ slightly, it can't be a regular edition.

Sure, VEs are fine.

Chine colle looks like fun, I have never tried it, though. Hmm... Perhaps this is a chance to try it...

-Andrew

NWard
03-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Ohhhh great topic, I am excited to see what everyone comes up with! I can't wait to get to work.

printzessofthenorth
03-01-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm in Andrew. :wave: It'll be good to get back in the saddle. ;)

debbie

zardoz
03-02-2005, 07:19 AM
count me in Andrew , gives me plenty of time

Diane Cutter
03-02-2005, 08:12 AM
Just want to remind everyone that you will have to officially sign-up in the Project forum once Andrew has this thing approved...

Diane

Printmakerguy
03-02-2005, 08:25 AM
I have submitted the project, and it should be approved shortly. I will post here (and you will see the discussion thread in the forum) when it is up and ready to go!

-Andrew

H2O_Baby
03-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Hmmm, Diane, why are monoprints/types out? I pull mine on a press plus monoprints may have a plate (repetitive components) associated with them.

Not that I am complaining, I may not even WANT to do a monoprint/type! This is just a query...

zardoz
03-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Hmmm, Diane, why are monoprints/types out? I pull mine on a press plus monoprints may have a plate (repetitive components) associated with them.

Not that I am complaining, I may not even WANT to do a monoprint/type! This is just a query...

just guessing here but its probably because its not a repeatable process .each print would be dramatically different including the ghosts

Printmakerguy
03-02-2005, 09:01 PM

Monoprints are GENERALLY out only because there is no way to create an edition large enough. Now, I suppose you COULD do them, but you would have to come up with how many ever prints you need to give one to each participant in the exchange... Not easy for monotypes...

-Andrew

Diane Cutter
03-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Yes, Z and Andrew basically covered it... The idea is everyone gets the same set of prints. If you have a monoprint that works so that it is fairly repeatable, then that shouldn't be a problem.

Diane

zardoz
03-03-2005, 06:57 PM
repetitive monoype...hmmmm sounds like a challenge

H2O_Baby
03-03-2005, 07:57 PM
repetitive monoype...hmmmm sounds like a challenge

ZD, I bet you get emotional by the time you have printed 20 of them as well...

Hey Andrew, I kicked my hubby off to check the projects, and it isn't on the radar yet. I don't want to miss the sign-up. Wazhappenin?

Printmakerguy
03-03-2005, 08:08 PM
It sometimes takes a while before the projects are approved... Don't worry, it will be posted soon...

cityscape painter
03-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Hi Everyone- This sound like fun. You can count me in!! :)
Best from LA
Pamela

jimread
03-06-2005, 04:28 AM
I'm a bit late on this and make myself sixteenth is that OK Andrew ?

I just thought of a suitable image as well!

Regards - Jim

Diane Cutter
03-06-2005, 07:38 AM
For those of you who want to participate, you need to sign up at:

http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=840

Only a few more slots left...

Diane