PDA

View Full Version : Dead artists conspiracy

jimread
02-27-2005, 05:27 AM
When your dead, the bidders pay more for your work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20143&item=7301914639&rd=1

Is that why most artists do their best work in the later years of their lives, surely not :D

Jim

Diane Cutter
02-27-2005, 07:31 AM
Unfortunately (or fortunately) art is one of those things you get better at as you age... It's only fair that we improve with age... those young whipper-snappers don't have all the advantages...

Diane

Printmakerguy
02-27-2005, 09:11 AM
I have always tried to make it a policy that I only buy art that helps someone- That means LIVING artists, and whenever possible, I like to deal directly with the artist rather than through a gallery... I DO have a few exceptions to this in my collection- A few exlibris, the Miro linocut, etc- But these were bought more for aesthetic reasons than investment reasons- I liked how they looked.

I am playing what I call the "Starving Artist Lotto"- Buy art from relative unknowns, and PERHAPS I will luck out some day. But, if not, I still have walls COVERED with beautiful artwork, rather than a trashcan filled with losing lotto tickets :D

Andrew

H2O_Baby
02-27-2005, 10:28 AM
That's why I love trading, Andrew, you get some really nice prints, paintings, pastels, and get to meet the people you trade with (at least in the pastI have done so).

REDart
02-28-2005, 08:39 AM
The dead thing only works if you are already well known before you die. For the rest of us, our work is worth more as living artists with the potential for greatness. :)

zardoz
03-02-2005, 08:34 AM
think I'll just live as long as I can and then take what I got with me

Diane Cutter
03-02-2005, 09:02 AM
think I'll just live as long as I can and then take what I got with me
You and my husband would get along nicely... He wants to exhaust all our resources seconds before we die... Trouble is, we don't know when that is...

I'm with you, H2O... I've got a wonderful print collection (and some very nice paintings) to pass along to my daughters. Then it's their headache or Sotheby's (I wish)...

Diane

printzessofthenorth
03-02-2005, 09:38 AM
oooooooo conspiracies! I love conspiracies! Can I get in on this one....oh wait. "Dead artists" strike that. Maybe I don't want in on this one.

debbie

zardoz
03-02-2005, 08:45 PM
oooooooo conspiracies! I love conspiracies! Can I get in on this one....oh wait. "Dead artists" strike that. Maybe I don't want in on this one.

debbie

I'm with you on this, think I'll wait my turn

You and my husband would get along nicely... He wants to exhaust all our resources seconds before we die... Trouble is, we don't know when that is...

well Diane if you exhaust all you're recources it shouldn't be too long after that

Diane Cutter
03-02-2005, 09:43 PM
... if you exhaust all you're recources it shouldn't be too long after that
Hmmm... yeah, you're right. Okay, we won't exhaust our resources... I'm not ready yet...

Diane

Printmakerguy
03-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Hey diane & debbie-

I have a lot of your art- Let me know if you start feeling ill, I can start to make my retirement plans :evil:

Diane Cutter
03-02-2005, 10:28 PM
And I though Z was the only comedian here... You guys are too much!

Diane

printzessofthenorth
03-03-2005, 06:46 PM
Hey diane & debbie-

I have a lot of your art- Let me know if you start feeling ill, I can start to make my retirement plans :evil:

HAHAHAHAHHHEHEHEHEHAHAHAHHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[with dead pan face] You're killing me Andrew