PDA

View Full Version : ATC Scallop

H2O_Baby
02-25-2005, 10:29 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2005/56663-ATC_Scallop__1.JPG

I have been playing around and built the above plate for the ATC project. Thank you whoever posted the link. Can some of you more experienced WC members give advice?

Question 1. I am not sure how best to display the prints for ATC trading, as the paper although heavy does tend to curl.

Question 2. Also, I am not sure of the best way to photograph, I tend to do it off-center and the prints look lopsided. I looked at the gallery and few people have this problem - does it matter???

Diane, just for you: This was done with Daniel Smith inks on Arches, printed wet to get the embossing & intaglio. The plate is 2" x 2.75".

Thanks for looking!

jimread
02-26-2005, 04:02 AM
Dear B,

That shell looks lovely.

The best way to photograph prints is by using a tripod and pushing the tube in the middle through the wrong way so that the tripod straddles the print and the camera is underneath it, lights either side at 45 degrees will give a shadowless image. If you haven't got a tripod and you are handy with wood you can make a simple frame to do the job.

Jim

CBHutch
02-26-2005, 07:32 AM
LOVE that print! :clap: Would love to trade with you!

Cheryl

Diane Cutter
02-26-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks, Cheryl... You made me laugh... I guess I am kind of a 'johnny-one-note' with my 'what size? paper? ink?....

By the way, if I were in this ATC trade, I'd definitely want one of yours!

Diane

H2O_Baby
02-26-2005, 08:21 AM
Thank you for the kind words Diane, Cheryl & Jim.

Diane: It is not to late to join up, this is an open ended ATC project. Tho I wonder what will happen when the gallery fills up.

Jim: I had some professional slides taken a while back, the photographer just stood over the prints. I can't seem to get a straight shot so I fear you are correct about the tripod. The photog photographed in bright sunlight, summer about 10AM. I guess one should be able to make something out of pvc pipe also!

Thanks again

Printmakerguy
02-26-2005, 08:34 AM
This is another nice one!

I do a lot of ATC trades... I usually scan mine rather than photographing them. They are super easy to get square that way.

Mine are printed on relativly thick stock, so I don't have a problem with curling... You MIGHT need to mount them on sturdier paper if you have problems with that...

I hope you decide to trade!! These are GREAT.

-Andrew

H2O_Baby
02-26-2005, 08:49 AM
Andrew, I made them with the intent of trading. Hey when you do an edition and trade, do you trade just one of the edition or do you trade the whole edition? I noticed that you do editions of 20 for your ATCs.

Printmakerguy
02-26-2005, 08:54 AM
Andrew, I made them with the intent of trading. Hey when you do an edition and trade, do you trade just one of the edition or do you trade the whole edition? I noticed that you do editions of 20 for your ATCs.

I keep one or two for myself, then trade the rest, both on WetCanvas, other forums, and 'here and there', when I need to get my name out... I put my contact info on the back, and on occasion use them as a business card of sorts...

-andrew

sassybird
03-03-2005, 12:43 PM
The best way to dry intaglio prints is to get some dry wall and cut it into 4 foor squares. Tape the edges so that the dry wall does not get on your prints. Place your prints on a piece of the dry wall and place a piece of blank newsprint on top of the print. Then place another piece of the dry wall on top of that. You can get several pieces of work on one sheet of the dry wall depending on the size of the prints. Let them dry for a couple of days and you will find flat prints when you pull them out. The dry wall acts as a sponge and soaks up the mositure from the paper with out smearing the ink.