PDA

View Full Version : China Awakes

Mikey
02-25-2005, 05:02 PM
I originally posted this as a WIP before we had this sub-forum. Somebody asked if they could see me beside the painting to see the actual size.

I am now beginning to try laying the medium down first, then applying paint from the tube on top of that. You'll see this on the blue and violet robes' pluc the right hand lower Alizarin glaze over Cadmium, and the right hand highlight on her face. This seems to be working very well. You will appreciate that the top of the blue robe is much darker and the Cadmium Red isn't quite that saturated.

I have yet to decide what to do with the middle. My original plan was to include a caucasian woman just beyond the pillars. I might include things from the Chinese Tea Ceremony, or a large vase.

Oils on 60 x 48 inches gallery canvas.

Any comments please.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2005/28043-china_awakes_9.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2005/28043-china_awakes_9_Mikey.jpg

Dhuot
02-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks for pointing me to the WIPs Mikey. I just don`t come here..........I should ey ?
But, for wips, I think they`re really intimately-related to the artist. For me, viewing a wip is like getting too private...........hum!
Follow me ??

Anyways, your " little " wc break was....good and bad for us.

Bad, because MIKEY !!! YOU WERE MISSED !.........voila.
Good, because LOOK AT THIS PAINTING !!!
This is HUGE and GORGEOUS........

Okay, I will save my words, and will keep them for the " finished " one.

Gorgeous light

Mikey
02-25-2005, 07:00 PM
Hi Daniel, many thanks. This one will take longer than usual, so posting as a WIP keeps me going. I've got a lot of work to do on tiles and there will be some nice embroidery in the robes. Talking about tiles, I recently dropped my digital camera over the balcony about 11 feet onto a hard quarry tile floor. The scratch can hardly be seen and yes it still works very well.

Mikey

Mikey
02-26-2005, 10:49 AM
There is some distortion here due to my trying to correct the sideways shot. The flash was used even outdoors today.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2005/28043-china_awakes_10_cu.jpg

pero lane
02-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Mikey this is looking great so far! Love your use of rich color and your sense of depth is always so grand! :)

Mikey
02-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks Pat. I think the rich colour may be due to my beginning to lay down the medium first, then painting on that. The paint goes down nicely this way, but one does have to be careful not to rub off the local colour. I guess using high pigmented oil paints helps as well.

Mikey

Esmeralinda
02-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Oh Mikey, I do miss you also very much. But understand what you have to do.

I just love to see you between the beautiful China scenery ... :wink2: :evil:

Can I nit pik a little ? I thing the right young woman should have her ear a little higher. (ref. close up) What do you think ?

She is my favourite of the two.

Was so nice to see this again. (brought me back to my beginnings with WC)

Linda :wave:

Spyderbabe
02-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Hey Mikey - I remember this! Lovely close up (check her left shoulder, looks like it slants too much downward due to blue background) otherwise its all thumbs up!!

Gilberte
02-27-2005, 02:46 AM
Good to have you back here on WC Mikey.
The detail of the face is great.
Real large painting !

Mikey
02-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Hi Linda, many thanks. I think the tilt of her head makes the ear look lower. In this case I seem to have made it too long. Maybe I'll just cover it with hair.

Kathleen, that shoulder! I look at it so often and think I must get round to correcting that some day and don't. A bad habit I know.

Thanks Gilberte. Happy flower painting to you.

Mikey

Esmeralinda
02-27-2005, 09:15 AM
That's it Mikey, I tilted my head and looked in the mirror,
the ear is just a little too long.

Linda :wave:

Mikey
02-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks Linda. I'm still working on this girls mouth as you can see.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2005/28043-china_awakes_11_cu.jpg

Artistanne
02-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Mikey, this is coming along just beautifully! I admire your patience in taking on something of this scale. I can't wait to see the embroidery on the robes. The colors are just stunning. :)

Mikey
02-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Many thanks Anne. I finding the embroidery very difficult.

Mikey

Mikey
02-28-2005, 11:11 AM
It's a bad afternoon for photography and the violet leaves in the blue garment are desaturated in this photo. I maay have to darken them a little anyway. You'll see other parts are too saturated.

Mikey

Mikey
02-28-2005, 04:13 PM
I had intended to put ssomeone, or something else in the painting, but now don't think so. What do you think?

Mikey