PDA

View Full Version : Your own work in school?

Cristy A
02-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Okay teachers -
Here's something I've been thinking about.
Do you work on your own art at school?
I don't, mostly because up until recently I haven't been organized enough. I'm usually feeling overwhelmed with grades, loading unloading the kiln, display etc. I've been able to manage more easily the last few years, though, and am thinking about bringing in my easil.
Here are some thoughts:
Students seldom see adult art being made - good example and validation of art
Students seeing their teacher making adult art will see a level of skill that may not be something commonly seen by that age group
Students will see process of art - stages of development, patience, discipline, revision, problem solving, etc.
Down side
Time factor - doable?
How is this sort of thing viewed by the public or community? Or other teachers? Or administration?

What are your thoughts?
Cristy

alice's arts
03-02-2005, 06:43 AM
I do the project that I'm having the kids do right along with them or for examples, demonstrations, when ever I can. I consider that to be my art work, I later frame and exhibit, maybe even sell it. It is not always possible to do this but when it is I think it's fine. My style, and choice of materials happens to be compatable with what I teach in K-6th art classes. If it was really different than what I could do with the kids I don't think I would be able do my own artwork at school regularly. But that's just me - I think doing your own work at schools is great if you can manage it - still giveing the kids the attention they need.

-Alice

Studio224
04-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Like Alice, I usually do the project they are doing with them, it's not my art at all but it helps them and motivates them to try to work harder. Sometimes, I show them art that I have done at home so they realize that I really "live" my art and that everything is possible if they want it.

Not exactly the answer to your question...LOL

Quiet
04-24-2005, 01:49 AM
Big down side: your work could get damaged. Way back in a grade-school-level pottery course I knocked my teacher's dried and unfired project off of the table. While I did find it a good learning experience to see her pot being made, I now have doubts about the ethics of her making it during the class. (It was a birthday gift for someone, and not specifically a demo piece; and it was made on time that she should have been devoting to us. Or maybe that's my conscience trying to make up for the shattered pot. . .)

azur
04-24-2005, 08:51 AM
I think it is good for the kids to see your work, examples of projects etc., but I do not have time to usually do a project with them because there are too many things that have to be handled on the spot such as materials and discipline. :wink2: My classes change every 30 minutes also so there is not much time for uninterrupted work during class time. I should add that iteach elementary, K-5.

I think it would be generally accepted about damages to your work, because they are naturally curious and of course want to touch. I also have had some that try to take my examples when I am not looking. :mad:

Because of all of this, all of my serious artwork is done at home. :rolleyes:

Jan

fineartist65622
02-01-2007, 03:03 PM
I occasionally will work while I have students in class too, particularly when my students are independently working, and long after I have introduced an assignment, and checked to make sure everyone knows what is expected of them.

I agree that students benefit from seeing "grace under pressure"; to see that we can do what we teach, too.

I think it enriches their lives in a sense to see more experienced artists create, and it's inspirational.

But you always have to keep one eye ball on the kids and one eye ball on your work. Still it's nice when you can allow yourself to do it.

ryot
02-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Get the kids involved in your work? Paint a quickly land scape on a big canvas and tell the kids to add what every they'ed like?

Rbm
03-13-2007, 10:48 PM
I teach PK through 6th grade art in a small private school. I always have a painting on "my" easel in the classroom. Since I am part-time, I have a lot of time during the week to work on my own. The kids really enjoy watching the progression of my paintings. It has lauched many discussions and lot of great questions. I think it is important for them to see me working and sometimes struggling through a painting that may not be going quite that way I intended.
I find that they put more into their work when they see what goes into "grown-up" work. They are becoming great little critics too. They are learning how to "talk" about art and feel bery comfortable asking why and how about my painting - more that just "I like or I don't like". It is more approachable that a picture in a book or on a poster. Doing my own art has the added benefit of helping me keep my sanity in between displaying artwork, loading and unloading the kiln, washing brushes, preparing supplies etc....
rebecca

beautifulfreak
03-13-2007, 11:57 PM
I teach adults and your question seems geared for those that teach kids but I do work on my own work while teaching, I demo simpified versions of my own work to my adult students, throw on the wheel between classes or while waiting for the kiln to turn off.

I remember when I was in high school being fascinated when the teacher would bring in his own work to show us what he was working on at home. I think it would have benefited us greatly to see him actually create some of it.

LarrySeiler
03-17-2007, 09:59 AM
all the time!!!
Not while students are working...though if it is a painting class, they might see after I walk around, me take a few dabs. I paint after school quite often, and with plein air they see me bring works in after.

I have a couple 40"x 50" pieces going on right now.

I paint demos...draw and so forth. Sketch with students.

I think its important for students to see art is not something you grow out of once you become an adult, like so many of their parents model, and attitudes they share.

I think its important for my community to see me outdoors set up in locations painting, which brings legitimacy to my being here. Makes the learning of art pertinent and important.

I am involved with community things, shows, exhibitions...writing about art.

I think its especially important in a logging community in northwoods as a male, that I demonstrate REAL men can make art!!!

Until I came here eight years ago...boys rarely were signing up for art in the high school.

I am also working on my masters in painting (at 52 years of age) and it helps kids to know I too am a student...painting.

Having success in the world, helps the smaller community feel better that we as a district have got something to show!! That also translates to keeping art here important. Some job security!!! ;)