PDA

View Full Version : first print from new linoleum block relief

bridog
02-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Hello again fellow printers
this new print is still drying as I write this
took a digital photo so forgive me for the glare off ink
the drawing came from a couple of close up photographs I had taken with my dig. cam back in July 2004 (some dragonflies)
I may add some hand colouring to the final prints, as these guys have striped black and blue bodies and would be nice to show that off

brian from snowy Canada

sassybird
02-25-2005, 12:08 PM
You did a good job capturing the dragon fly and that flower. I would like to see this done in another color maybe a brilliant blue.

emceeice
02-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Brian-

I gotta say, I am not a fan of this latest print, as it stands right now. In your earlier print, Old Partners, there was SO MUCH back and forth between positive and negative space, and there was a GREAT sense of depth and a really nice feel to the print, overall. It was not photographic, but it seemed so much more "real" than this print.
I dunno, I'm just not feelin' it at this point....!
Sorry for the criticism, I hope I didn't upset you at all! :evil:
As they told me in art school:
You have to have the sensitivity of a jellyfish and the skin of a rhino.
Or some crap like that. :rolleyes:

Anyway, let me know what your thoughts are.

Jon

Diane Cutter
02-25-2005, 01:36 PM
I can see this as a variation... An edition of black and white, as is. Then cut out more of the black for more of a play of the postive/negative and then a last run with hand-coloring them...

It's a vey appealing image...

Diane

Sunfilly
02-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Brian,
I like this. I think it would look great with a blue gradient blue going to white, you could block off the flower and the dragon body's with a stencil and roll the gradient, then block the background and do black on the dragon and flower then hand paint the details. This one would be a good one to do multiblocks too if you don't like using stencils to block. Dragon flies also have this metalic type color in their bodies, it would be cool to do a metalic blue on the body, not sure if they sell metalic ink in those colors though, I know you can get gold and bronze block ink, but have never heard of other colors

Sunfilly
02-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Concerning what Diane said about the background a few long blades of grass like in the picture, on the left of the block would look good. I would not do more then two, less is more.

bridog
02-25-2005, 02:42 PM
thanks all for the feedback
emceeice, no offense taken at the critique
It is good to get feedback from others both pro and con (I learned this in art college during critique sessions).
This image still in development at present, so thought I would post it to see how other eye's perceive and suggestions.
I am in agreement with a couple of your suggestions, maybe a hint of a blade of grass or two added would balance it a bit more. I like the zen philosophy of less is more. Something I am striving to achieve as I grow as a creative individual. Diane your suggestion of variations, I never thought of it that way.
Also Sunfilly the idea of trying the gradient background colour combined with masking out areas sounds interesting. I think I will give that a shot.

thanks again for your comments

brian

ps. here is a hand-coloured version of the first print

bridog
02-25-2005, 02:53 PM
I also forgot to mention
Rotring inks (german company?) came out with a pearlescent series of liquid inks as well as a universal medium a few years back. They had a whole series of metallic finishes and even mother of pearl. I used these a bit in screen-printing with some degree of success.
I know Hunt-Speedball have some metallic finish water-based screen printing inks (bronze, copper, silver) as well.
Also has anyone ever heard of a print medium called FUJI block?
Windsor-Newton (UK base company) put these out back in the mid 80's.
It was a cardboard plate with a felt surface that you cut away with twin blade exacto knife. Then you peeled away the cut felt strips to reveal a line.
The print was made by painting the felt with watercolour paint, then misting it and making an impression on paper. You could generally get several prints from one application of paint onto the felt surface.
Have not seen these kits around for years. Anybody have any knowledge of this?

sincerely

Brian

H2O_Baby
02-25-2005, 08:11 PM
Brian,

I have made my own gold & other metallics using Pearlessence powders & linseed oils. They are best printed over a dark color. You can get pearlessence powders at many craft stores. You could also mix with transparent medium.

Sunfilly
02-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Concerning metalic inks for block printing I heard of it first from this site
http://1000woodcuts.com/Studionotes/metalink/metallicink.html

It seems for block printing the metallic colors are limited, silver, bronze, copper, and graphite. I wonder if you could add in other colors to the metalliacs, for instance the silver, you could add some blue ink and get a blue metallic? It may work.

I have used the powder in screen prints and it works out pretty good but not for block printing or etching inks. I tried it and the powder just disappears, I asked my teacher about that and she said you need to add in quite a lot of the powder for it to show, I really did not have that much so did not try that.

The only thing you could really do is like H20 sugested, mix it with the transparent solution for block inks and do another layer on top of your color for it to show. Which will be good for the wings, they have to be transparent but have a bit of shine to them. LOL!!!! OK you have your work cut out for you LOL!!! It may be too much of a challange. :evil:

CBHutch
02-26-2005, 07:44 AM
Brian,

I like what you have there. As others have already suggested, I would like to see a bit more though, particularly on the left. I think a little something in the upper left-hand corner and you'll have a nice Zen thing going on. :)

Cheryl

CBHutch
02-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Oh, Brian! I completely missed the hand-colored version! I LOVE the colors--it makes the picture "pop!" The colors do seem to help the print stand more on its own.

What I would love to see would be the print with the colors and still something in the upper left corner. I think something arching towards the corner will help draw the eye back into the print. It kind of feels like my eye follows the tail-end of the bottom/central dragonfly and then shoots my sight right out of the picture. I think a nice sweep of something (e.g., grass) would catch my eye and bring it back around again to the dragonflies and sunflower.

Cheryl

Printmakerguy
02-26-2005, 08:48 AM
I like it! I think that the hand colored version is the best...

I would agree with the others- I think I would like to see a LITTLE more in the background, but not too much- It has a nice clean look to it!!

-Andrew

bdswagger
11-09-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure how well this would work, but Daniel Smith puts out a line of irredescent water colors. Oh, something you can try, on slowing done the drying on any water based paints, is adding glycerine to the paint. I'm thinking this would makine it more useful if you wanted to use it to actually print with, as it would stay wet for a longer period. I think you can get the glycerine at any large drugstore/pharmacy.

Leigh