PDA

View Full Version : Trying my hand at ATCs

CBHutch
02-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Well, here are 3 ATCs that I made with 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" pine blocks. I printed them with Graphic Chemical water-soluble ink on Rives BFK (the Graphic Chemical ink is SO much nicer to use than the Speedball).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2005/57830-acornATC.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2005/57830-cowATC.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2005/57830-shellATC.jpg

Is Rives BFK considered stiff enough for an ATC? It seems like is should be, but I could print them on something like Hosho and mount them on a stiff paper.

I wasn't sure my print quality was as good on the Rives. Since it is thicker, I couldn't peel it up to check on the progress (I don't have a press--I use a wooden spoon). It looks okay to me (not perfect but okay), but I'm still not sure what qualifies as a good print quality versus a poorer print quality. I also know that my prints are not perfect and, I know with an edition, each print should be the "same."

I was also wondering if I should cut out more of the background on the shell. I kept it darker to balance out the darkness on the bottom of the shell, but the overall print is a bit on the dark side.

Looking forward to C&C.
Thanks,
Cheryl

Printmakerguy
02-24-2005, 09:52 AM
These are GREAT, Cheryl! We will be trading :D

I have used BFK before, It is a bit lighter than most ATC's you will get, but should be OK. Like you said, you CAN always mount them. My recent ones are printed on Pescia paper, which is thicker, so I dont worry about mounting them at all...

One tip that makes things easier on ATC's- I usually cut the blocks JUST larger than 2.5 x 3.5, and leave a nice border around the edge- That way, when the print dries, I can trim it to EXACTLY 2.5 x 3.5, and don't have to worry about getting it centered on the paper exactly- They all turn out perfect that way, with a nice border around the edge. There is no need for a margin....

Keep 'em coming!

Sunfilly
02-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Your ATC's look good Cheryl,
Teh cow is so cute, love the grass, and your lettering on why not is great.

I like the shell the way it is, I don't think you need to carve more it looks good and balanced to me. Maybe print it in another color before you decide to carve more, what may look too heavy for you in black, looks intirely different in another color.

I used Arches and mulberry paper for my atc's, and I trimmed them down and mounted them on some nice archival card stock. You can use rice paper too. I think any one would be pleased to trade with you on these no matter what paper you use.

H2O_Baby
02-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Good prints Cheryl! I have been working on potential ATCs too. I'm not finished with anything tho. I actually left work ON TIME yesterday and came home to print test papers of my plates.

Have you joined the ATC group and figured it all out yet?

printzessofthenorth
02-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Cheryl,

I haven't done any trading cards yet. But I like yours so well, that I might try my hand at it. My particular favorite is the nautilus shell. Well done.

debbie

CBHutch
02-25-2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks everybody! I'm so glad I joined this forum (it's not something I tend to do)--everyone seems so supportive and gives such GREAT advice. And talk about the quality of art around here--WOW!

Andrew--I'll have to check out the pescia paper. I'm not sure I can get it around here, but if I can, I will. Do you think it will work with hand-burnishing or does the pescia paper work better with a press?

Deborah (Sunfilly)--I didn't even think about using a different color! What a great idea. It also has me thinking about cutting color blocks--I just don't have a great way for registration yet though. I suppose I could always just tint them with watercolor for now. I also appreciate the thoughts about mounting the prints. What do you use to mount them? My husband does some photography and uses this spray can stuff. Will that work or will it soak the thinner papers too much?

Debbie--Thanks!!

H2O Baby--I haven't joined the ATC group yet but I plan too. I just have to figure out how I'm going to print these things and if I'm going to use any color. Thanks!!

Cheryl

Printmakerguy
02-25-2005, 08:55 AM
Andrew--I'll have to check out the pescia paper. I'm not sure I can get it around here, but if I can, I will. Do you think it will work with hand-burnishing or does the pescia paper work better with a press?

It will work by hand, but I usually use my little speedball press for ATC's. I also dampen the paper, with oil and waterbased inks, the ink transfer seems to be much better...

The last ones that I did are HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242341), They are all waterbased ink on pescia....
And currently still all availible for trade :D
-Andrew

sassybird
02-25-2005, 12:00 PM
My favorite is the cow.....lol I just love that expression. Andrew is right about the BFK. It is stiff but not as stiff as some papers. You might want to give Stonehenge a try too.

Diane Cutter
02-25-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure how I missed this thread!!!... Great little prints, Cheryl. They all have a nice energy. I'm partial to the shell, myself... guess that has to do with where I live...

Diane

CBHutch
02-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks Andrew, Charissa, and Diane!
Well, I'm off to the "art store" (really an educational supply store with, unfortunately, the "best" supply of stuff in town) this morning to see if they have Pescia or Stonehenge paper. I'll give wetting down the paper a try--I assume that means a light spray with a spray bottle.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Printmakerguy
02-26-2005, 08:52 AM
I'll give wetting down the paper a try--I assume that means a light spray with a spray bottle.

Actually, I usually soak mine in a pan of water for an hour or two, then set it in a plastic bag for a while, then 'mop' any water off the surface with a paper towel... Gets the fibers nice and soft. But, you need to experiment- Different papers have different qualities...

There aren't any good art stores in South Bend? I am kind of suprised- Doesn't the college there have an art dept?

-Andrew

H2O_Baby
02-26-2005, 08:52 AM
Cheryl, I just joined the general ATC group last night. It is really easy to join, but hard to find the links. The general ATC project was started by Morganna, and if you find projects and keyword ATC you will see a bunch of them. I haven't put the prints up yet, I wanted to get a better picture on the cpu first.

Printmakerguy
02-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Cheryl, I just joined the general ATC group last night. It is really easy to join, but hard to find the links. The general ATC project was started by Morganna, and if you find projects and keyword ATC you will see a bunch of them. I haven't put the prints up yet, I wanted to get a better picture on the cpu first.

I have found that the ATC project on here has become a pain, only because it is SO big- Too many entries to sort through!

CBHutch
02-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Andrew--Yes, both Notre Dame and Indiana University at South Bend have art departments. But, no, we don't have any good art stores. Locally, we are limited to Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and United Art and Education. There used to be a halfway decent art store but it closed last year. :crying: Oh, well.

Cheryl

Diane Cutter
02-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Sometimes the university bookstores stock the papers needed. If not, why not check the art department bulletin board or department head office secretary... sometimes they make orders and might not mind another buyer...

Diane

CBHutch
02-26-2005, 01:38 PM
Ooooooh! What a great idea, Diane! I'll check out the university bookstores first and then I might talk to a friend of mine who's a retired Notre Dame art professor--I'm sure he probably still has connections there.

I was successful at finding Stonehenge paper! It's being clearanced out, but they still had some! If it works well, I'll get some more. I think I'll try soaking it, per Andrew's advice (thanks!).

Cheryl

Diane Cutter
02-26-2005, 01:51 PM
...I was successful at finding Stonehenge paper! It's being clearanced out, but they still had some! If it works well, I'll get some more. I think I'll try soaking it, per Andrew's advice...
It's been years since I've used Stonehenge so can't remember how it behaves... and I can't find my notes!!! Whatever papers you wind up with... you might give a small piece a 'wet test'. Some are hardy and can handle a lot of water abuse and some need just a misting because a good soaking will make them fall apart. A lot of papers you can forget in the water for up to several days (not recommended but it happens). I just wouldn't soak the whole batch until you are sure it handles.

If I use wet paper I find wetting it in a shallow container and then immediately putting it in a plastic bag works well, too. It eliminates the need for a tub the size of your papers. By the next morning, it's all ready to go and, for the most part, doesn't need a lot of blotting...

Diane

CBHutch
02-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the advice, Diane! It was quite timely--I had just cut up a sheet of Stonehenge (I bought 2) and was considering putting half to all of the batch in water! I'll test a few pieces first.

Thanks!
Cheryl

P.S. What a good idea to take notes on how the papers behave!

Sunfilly
02-26-2005, 10:45 PM
I have found that the ATC project on here has become a pain, only because it is SO big- Too many entries to sort through!

I feel the same way, the atc forums are so big, it became a bit overwhelming to me. And the artists create and trade so quickly my head was spinning, by the time I had stuff ready, all the stuff I liked was gone in a second and too find stuff to trade for took hrs, to weed through all the great stuff. I guess that is why I love this forum so much it is not too big, just small enough to keep up, and not to big to get lost.

In printmaking sometimes it takes so long to finish pieces and to print up editions, it seems painting is faster by far. I would like to trade though with a few printmakers here if any one is interested. Since I do plan to try to sell my minatures I think I will make up a small edition just for trading, seperate from my regular edition. I just have to figure out how I am going to go about doing this and how to number them. I guess they should be a version of my pieces. Or instead of my usual 20 I can do an extra five just for trading.

Diane Cutter
02-27-2005, 06:00 AM
Well, do we have enough people here to do that? I'd be interested in a small scale, like you mention. We have had exchanges in the past, but it sounds like a Printmaking ATC would work better, maybe?

What do the others think?

Diane

Printmakerguy
02-27-2005, 08:16 AM
I think that we do! There are also a numnber of people over in the ATC forum that do various printmaking methods (Lino, woodcut, and vegtable prints) that don't really hang out here. We could do it 'officially', by starting a new project, or unofficially, by just swapping here... It would be more informal exchange than most, but could be fun...

-Andrew

CBHutch
02-27-2005, 03:56 PM
What an exciting idea! :clap:

Cheryl

Sunfilly
02-27-2005, 06:45 PM
I like the idea of an informal exchange. One thing that made me cautious about the ATC forums is the rules. Since I sometimes use the same size as the ATC's for my minatures, I was afraid some people would get upset when they found out I also want to sell my small prints. And there is a rule about not selling ATC's they are just for trading. So I can't really call them ATC's I think? I was thinking of just trading my good proofs or my experiments that came out good but I am not edtioning, as ATC cards, not my editions, or make up a few on top of my edtion just for trading and label them as ATC's as long as everyone understands I will be selling my minature prints at art shows and eventually e-bay maybe. But for edtioning I do not know if that is proper. Any thoughts on that?