PDA

View Full Version : Linocut

graffiti
02-24-2005, 01:21 AM
I received my order of Daniel Smith ink on monday, and had to try out the watersoluble relief ink. I must say this ink works ALOT better than the speedball stuff. The only somewhat minus is the dry time, I think it's only just now becoming dry (wednesday), its been raining here so I don't know if this is normal. Anyway, here is a linocut using it. (2.5" X 3.5").

H2O_Baby
02-24-2005, 06:27 AM
Nice print Graf & welcome.

I still like oils better for most things, but where oils bleed a lot on some of my plates the DS inks do not. I have tried DS inks for everything but the gelatin prints. Gelatin works best with the speedball inks funnily enough so far!

How do DS water soluble relief inks compare to Acua (did I spell it correctly)?

I like the drying time, but am used to oils. I have put curtain rods with clips mid wall to ceiling on one wall in my very small art room and can dry the prints hanging up.

CBHutch
02-24-2005, 08:08 AM
Very nice print! I like the simple, clean texture you used--I think it adds to the intensity of your subject's eyes.

Regarding inks, although I'm really new to woodcuts, I've also noticed that Speedball's water-based inks dry much more quickly than others (I'm comparing it to Graphic Chemical's). So Graphic Chemical's and Daniel Smith's inks take a lot longer to dry, but they are SO much nicer to use.

Cheryl

Diane Cutter
02-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Beautiful, strong print, graffiti... lots of good 'energy' lines. And it looks like a very clean pull.

Yes, damp, humid weather can effect drying time. I live in a 75% plus environment and find that, no matter what ink I use, it takes a couple of days to dry. I speed the drying along by laying my prints on top of a lit light box. Or, if I have too many, I lay them in an area near a lit pole-lamp. The heat from the bulbs is enough to dry the air around it (we do a similar trick in our closets for keeping shoes and clothes mold-free)...

H2O... Water-soluable and Akua are kind of like apples and oranges, both fruit but work differently. The Akuas must be used at all times with dry paper. They also take some time to dry, like water soluable, but you can stack them (with paper in between) the next day. By the way, I did my gelatin works with them and they were wonderful.

Diane

Printmakerguy
02-24-2005, 09:41 AM
Very nice print- Has a lot of energy. I noticed that it is ATC size- Is it an ATC?

As for the ink, there isn't much I can add- It DOES have a much longer dry time, but is FAR Better to work with than speedball, and results in far better prints.

Like Diane, I live in a more humid environment, and sometimes it takes weeks for waterbased inks to dry here (and even longer for oilbased!), I too use lamps, they speed things up a lot!

Looking forward to seeing more work!

-Andrew

graffiti
02-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Thank you all for the compliments!

H2O-

I haven't tried Akua inks yet, just began experimenting with block prints. Gelatin prints? is this what you mean?
http://www.littlebit.com/ideas_misc/gelatin_prints.htm

I think the DS ink acts more like an oil based ink, the speedball is kind of like an acrylic paint.

Actually now that I think about it, the longer dry time is actually a plus if I had planned a drying area. The Speedball ink was drying on the the roll-out plate.

Diane-
I will have to make some sort of drying "clothesline", right now the prints are laid out over the worktable. I hand printed, found a melamine spoon that is working well for this.

Andrew-

I had the ATC idea in the back of my head when I picked the size. I'm still thinking of joining the ATC project here...

John

Diane Cutter
02-24-2005, 03:30 PM
...I haven't tried Akua inks yet, just began experimenting with block prints. Gelatin prints? is this what you mean?
http://www.littlebit.com/ideas_misc/gelatin_prints.htm
John...

Yep, that the gelatin we were talking about. Some time back I experimented with the gelatin plates. Here's the thread I posted: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225579&highlight=gelatin+print
H2O also posted a thread on them a short time ago...

Diane

H2O_Baby
02-24-2005, 07:00 PM
John, not to beat a dead horse but while that is the gelatin, one is better off building a clay dam than using a pan. Just my two cents.

Ciao!

graffiti
02-25-2005, 02:48 AM
Thank you enlightening me on this stuff, I've filed it in my future 'stuff to try' list. I knew I should have saved that old box of jello mix. :)

John

printzessofthenorth
02-25-2005, 11:11 AM
A strong, strong image, I find it very appealing.

debbie :clap:

sassybird
02-25-2005, 11:52 AM
This is a very good portrait, strong line work, and a wonderful shading in the face. The humidity has a lot to do with drying time, so it may dry a little faster once the rain has ceased. I agree that the speedball just is not up to snuff for those that are serious about printmaking. Mostly students use the speedball inks.