PDA

View Full Version : tips for table top press

Octave
02-21-2005, 09:56 AM
Hello Everyone: Any tips out there from anyone using a small table top press? I have a 7" Forme press from Italy. I have worked with a very large professional press at the art school I take courses at.... thus I know I am limited with this little guy but I would still like to hear from anyone who has used or is using a small table top press.
Octave

jimread
02-21-2005, 01:40 PM
'Ello Octave,

I use a little press from Polymetaal in Holland, after the first few goes it fell on the floor and I decided to anchor it down with some blocks of wood. Screwed these to the bench and screwed the press to them. This lasted about a couple of weeks before the screws came out.

Then I got some 'Dexion' angle stuff drilled full of holes, they use it to make racks in storerooms, and bolted this to the bench and then bolted the press to that. It's really steady now.

Jim

Diane Cutter
02-21-2005, 01:45 PM
My smaller press has 4 holes on the bottom 4 corners where they can be anchored to a bench. However, since I don't use the press that much and frequently have to move it for demos, I use a rubber mat, the type you get rolled that you can cut off as much as you want. That helps a lot with the slipping of the press while pulling a print.

Diane

Diane Cutter
02-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Gee, what a social clutz I am!!! Welcome to the Printmaking Forum, we are delighted to have you here.

Feel free to post questions, etc. Be sure to start a new thread when you want to show us your prints... otherwise they will get lost in other threads...

Diane

Printmakerguy
02-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I put my press on a cart with heavy duty casters on it, so I can wheel it around the studio as required... Comes in handy! Mine is a LITTLE larger, about a 12" bed... A little too heavy to lift and carry too often...

-Andrew

H2O_Baby
02-21-2005, 09:40 PM
I only have a medium press, 18 x 36 inch bed. It sits on a tabletop but I can remove the bed and work on the table around it. I was given two heavy duty steel welded tables 30 x 60 inches, so I can't drill into them to fix the location. It does slide but I need to get at the other side to see the gauge anyway so I do push it back & forth. I like the idea of the rubber mat tho Diane.

Andrew, I can't believe I carried it from the basement to the first floor myself when my husband wasn't home. I was in a hurry to print. Not recommended. Threw my back out. Didn't print for a year anyway as it took a long time to set the room up & get my sup[plies together after moving. There are a thousand sob stories built around presses, don't you think? :rolleyes:

LetterC
02-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Hello Octave,
How big is the bed on your press? I recently (a couple of months ago) got a Dick Blick Econo press. I like it. There was a short learning curve about adjustments but I've even been able to print resingrave on this one. It's pretty heavy for a small press. I haven't noticed that it slides around. It has rubber feet and the option to bolt to table.

In another situation I have used that multi-colored carpet padding to keep things from sliding on the work surface. It's inexpensive and does keep things in place.

Let's see some proofs from that little press.
C.