PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Class 13 - Outdoor Still Life

Pages : [1] 2

JayD
02-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Basics 101: Class 13

Outdoor Still Life

For the next couple of weeks we will be dealing with subjects drawn outdoors. After that we will be moving on to the human figure. If it is too cold for you to go outside for this class consider going out with a regular or digital camera and taking a few shot. You DO NOT have to sit outside and do the entire drawing. The movement of natural light simply would not permit it. I did the majority of my two demonstrations outdoors but came inside to do the final work up—not because of the cold but because three of the dogs down the street kept coming into my yard to play—with me.

Drawing Outdoors

Distractions outdoors are common to anyone who has grabbed an easel and headed out to paint the great plein air masterpiece. It is inevitable that something or someone will interrupt your flow of thought and artistic process.

The demonstrations in this class are from my own back yard. There is a privacy fence that surrounds our pool and attached to that is a long shed. Attached to the shed is a rabbit hutch. Upward from the hutch is a set of broken poles entangled in wire that are the remnants of a structure designed to carry grape vines. These two constructs are the dreams of earlier owners and the victims of unkind weather and neglect.

Why a still life outdoors? Well, because still life is a beautiful thing. Indoors you have total control of your light, your color and your compositions. You are the boss. Outdoors you are not the boss. It is that simple. A still life set up outdoors offers you the best of both worlds. You get the fresh air of the great outdoors and the control of the indoor studio setting. For this class you will set up a still life outdoors. Think back to the Wyeth painting that we saw in the last class. Andrew Wyeth’s Bucket Post is a like a scarecrow facing the elements. There is a message of the challenge of man against nature in these types of works. Man continues to challenge. Nature will always win.

The Demonstrations

1. The first demonstration is of the two poles. Before I sat down to decide what to draw, I did a series of passes with my digital camera, using the screen, as a viewfinder to locate what I thought would be the best compositional position. I took no pictures. If you prefer NOT to run your batteries down using the LCD in your camera, you can just make a simple viewfinder by taking a square piece of paper and cutting out the center so that you have, what amounts to, a picture frame. You can use this viewfinder to determine your composition. Remember that when you draw outside you do not have as much control over your subject as you would inside a sheltered studio location. The always changing light, the weather, creatures of nature, nosy neighbors or passer-byers and bees all bear significant influence on your work environment.

Once I figured out my position, I sat down and took a look at the area around me. There is a long fence—the house of course, a clothesline, a satellite dish and a number of other nonessential items. The first things to get rid of were easy—blip! There goes the dish and the close line and the driveway—all out of the picture. By the time I had finished, I had eliminated all but the grass and the pole—I decided to leave out the sky and just concentrate on the poles and the attached grass.

I started by simply sketching the poles and the grass—more importantly, I focused JUST on the simplest least complex elements and then concentrated on getting the wires right. Lastly, I then did the shadows and quickly so that I would not lose the sun for that morning.

JayD
02-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Here is the finished part of demo 1:

JayD
02-20-2005, 09:17 PM
2. For the next demonstration I went over to the rabbit hutch and did the same thing—sketched the basic shapes and focused on the lighting that was for this piece a very important element of the drawing. One note of interest: You may have noticed that the box looks slightly off or out of perspective. This problem was because of the fact that I had to deal with a brisk wind and a hutch which was well on its way to falling to pieces. In other words, the hutch was swaying in the wind—a nude model posing with her hand in a light socket would have been more still then the hutch—so I had a decision to make: draw it and correct the perspective making it more picture perfect OR just try to catch the movement and leave it to the eye. I make no apologies for the decision. I felt the out of perspective versions best captured the dilapidated state of the hutch.

Reference Photos:

I am not supplying reference photos this time. The object of this class is for you to come up with an original picture from your own personal experience. It must be a still life and it must be outdoors.

CJ and others who have outdoor subjects—now would be the time to pull out your first drawing and work on those some more or you can do something new or BOTH if you have time.

You may use outdoor photos from your memory book or scrap books or other IN HOUSE sources. You can certainly use digital photo references. DO NOT USE THE REFERENCE LIBRARY FOR THIS SESSION.

Field Trip

This weeks featured WC Artist is Larry Seiler. I really think you are going to like this guy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247822

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190955

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240979

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190950

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190965

JayD
02-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Here is the final part of the second demo. Enjoy!!! :)

Mary Woodul
02-20-2005, 09:47 PM
I love those sketches JayD and it is a great demo. Thank you again JayD for your hard work and making this class so enjoyable. :clap: :clap: :clap:

sultry
02-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Ditto what Mary said :clap: and Jay I can see so many stories in these, more so then the other still lifes we have done. I think it is because the other still lifes are easily read. These you have to think about them first and then everyone could view it differently. So many stories for one picture can be read from still life like these.

JayD
02-20-2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks Mary and Sultry. I always enjoy heading out in the fresh air to draw. It is very easy to lock yourself in the security of the studio with all your toys surrounding you always at an arms reach.

If you can do AT LEAST a portion of your drawing or drawings this week outdoors--it is a great feeling to just imerse yourself in the process--in the fresh air.

Judi1957
02-20-2005, 10:13 PM
JayD! :wave:
Wonderful demo-THANK-YOU!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm excited for this class!!

JayD
02-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks, Judi--I usually post these after 1:00am but CJ wanted them early this time--best I could do so somebody better go get her!!! :D

idcrisis55
02-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

Good lesson Jay and like the drawings. Sent you, Cathie and Deb the .pdf for this lesson. and it is up on my site as well. The link is listed below in the signature.

Everyone is moving a long at a great pace and I am getting farther behind.

Ann

Judi1957
02-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Ann!
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
So good to see you! That was fast with the pdf!
Thanks!

JayD
02-20-2005, 11:26 PM
Ann, its no wonder you are behind--I just went to you website and you have been a really busy bee. Its no wonder--but its a good "I'm behind". I appreciate what you have done with distributing the pdfs. I really appreciate the effort and the good will. :)

Cathie Jones
02-21-2005, 12:17 AM
Got here as quick as I could . . . the drive back from L.A. was very, very wet! Thanks, JayD and Ann. I've read the lesson and am printing it so I can read it again . . . and, of course, it's posted on the web site.

JayD, I love the post/bucket drawing. Need to look at the rabbit hutch some more. I really like old stuff like that, but don't have any of it here. There used to be a shed on a property down the hill from me, but they sold the horse ranch to a developer who has torn everything down. And it's supposed to keep raining through Tuesday. Not to worry, though, if I don't find something at home I have plenty of photos!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2005/23460-smiley_rain.gif

Hi Judi, Sults, Blah, Connie, Dave (where are you?), Mary, Michelle and AWAYTC. Now if y'all will excuse me, I need to go scrape some moss off my north side!

I heard last night that Southern California has had 11-1/2" of rain this year, compared to 5-1/2" in Seattle and 8-1/2" in San Francisco. Right now it's the 5th rainiest year here in history, and we're not even 2 months into the year! (Don't tell the people whose houses are sliding, but I'm loving it!)

See you guys tomorrow. :wave:

idcrisis55
02-21-2005, 07:41 AM
Good Morning Everyone! :wave: :D

It is a rainy Spring morning in Oklahoma. I thought I was in Chicago last night the wind was soooo strong lol.

Hi Judi, I kinda keep track as to what is going on here so that I am not totally out of the loop, even though I'm being quiet. I did get the painting finished I mentioned which was posted in the WC forum, the Values Classroom, and on my Home page :). I saw Vasil and Dave were in the Values classroom too :)

Jay, you don't realize what an influence you have been with the drawing/sketching :D I am mostly painting the weekly year of paintings with a group of friends off-list but I now do drawings and values sketches for the paintings. The Values Class in the Watercolor Forum fit in with the YoP's too :).

Jay, doing the pdf's for the class is the least I can do for all that you have given us. I hope you are doing very well and back to your normal health.

Thanks for looking at my web site. I saved it on cd's so if I should lose it all again at least I have a base to work with. There is still more to do but now I can do it at a bit slower pace.

I have to say you all have more stick-to-it-ness then I have had and you are learning and growing by leaps and bounds.

Ann

mothsailor
02-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi guys! :wave: Thanks for the new class, JayD! Great demos! :clap:

I've just got back from spending a few days with my mother. She lives in the New Forest, which was set up by William the Conqueror soon after he did his conquering in 1066. So, not all that new, really! It's a lovely place...ponies roaming wild, lots of deer, huge (by Brit standards, anyway!) areas of unspoilt country. Plus, it's near the sea! So, as you can imagine, it's very popular with Sarah.

Anyway, I did manage to get a bit of outdoor sketching in, despite the nasty north wind that was blowing, but none of them are really still lifes (lives?). :( Also, I didn't finish my second animal, so I'm not sure I'm really allowed to start with class yet! So much great work has been done while I was away, too. I think I'll try to do a second animal asap, and then make a start of something outdoors, preferably that I can see from the window!

Nice to be back...I was missing you all!!

bjcpaints
02-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the new lesson JayD. Hey, Where's the bunny?
Hi everyone. I was on the lookout yesterday for possible Plein Air scenes for this lesson. Unfortunately, we got ANOTHER 6" of snow since then with more coming. Changes the views for sure. Well, there is a funky old shed right out my back window that is going to be torn down in the next couple of years - I think it is my most likely candidate. Has tons of "character".
Have a great day everyone.
Barbara

Judi1957
02-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Afternoon All!

Hey Ann! Beautiful rope! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dave, Glad you're back! :wave:

Barb,
Yeh, looks like you got the snow we were to get as well. Passed north again.

I picked my still life last week and I will be doing an old abandoned sugar shack on a friends property, complete with the pots and all. As it is 1/4 mile into the woods, I will start with a photograph and visit the site Saturday morning. My schedule won't allow me to get there in the daylight, unless I get sick (cough-cough). :D

Boot
02-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Hello Again, Everyone,
Thanks Jayd, :clap: :clap: for all your hard work/!!
great job on the sketches, especially the post!! :clap:
hoping to get to this one...
Boot.
ps nice that you've extended the lesson time to more than a week, a little less pressure.
pps been following, silently, and the developments in peoples work ar incredible!

Judi1957
02-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Hey Boots, :wave:
Don't feel pressured, go at the pace your schedule allows. Glad you are here! :clap:

cmwynn
02-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Pouring down rain here is Georgia. Must be universal. I did do lots of sketching in Florida last week, but no finished drawings. Maybe I should go back there? I do have a photo of a birdhouse/apartment house in the back yard. My SIL said he would fix it up and put it back on a pole. But it would take more work than he has time to do and I don't want to be a slum landlord. I have tried painting it, but maybe a drawing would turn out better.

Fireman's kid
02-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi everyone!

I've been thinking and thinking about my outdoor still life. I know I have photos I could work from, but would like to do something "live", preferably something I can see from my window. Even though I teased JayD about "cold" NC weather, I'm not much of a cold lover myself. :)

We got the same snow that Barbara got, but only 4" or so and already starting to melt.

Ann, I checked out the values thread in the watercolor gallery and had to fight the urge to join. I have the hardest time keeping up here. I knew I couldn't do both. But I will bookmark it and will try to do it on my own. A lot of people on this thread also do the portrait classes or the weekly drawing thread or post their own individual stuff. I don't know how they do it. I can't keep up! :o

:wave: Hi to Connie, Judi, Boot, CJ, Jay, Sults, Dave, Mary and anyone else I missed. I'm looking forward to seeing some great outdoor still lifes/lives. (What is the correct way to say that?!?)

sultry
02-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Hi everyone :wave:
I am an ice-sicle I was outside trying to find something to sketch and with my fractured rib and hurt arm I gave up on the dang cold.

We received 7 inches of the white stuff last night and it has not let up. See my car this morning and out my backdoor. I like our huge rock but that is not man made. hmmmm

Connie, a birdhouse on the ground would be interesting too. It tells a story of a retired birdhouse or that a cat invaded it so hard it fell.

Hi Stacy :wave:

Hi again Boot

Judi you can have your snow back. (inserts smiley sticking tongue out).
Don't forget to RATE the thread everyone :wave:

Cathie Jones
02-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Nice snow, Sults! Nice looking neighborhood, too!

Well, I have a couple of SLs in the back yard, one of which can be done standing at the kitchen window. The other is at the back of the lot, so maybe I can do that one if it doesn't rain next weekend.

Once again, though, work comes first . . . it's so unfair! :rolleyes:

Metier
02-21-2005, 09:40 PM
If you can do AT LEAST a portion of your drawing or drawings this week outdoors--it is a great feeling to just imerse yourself in the process--in the fresh air.

I think sitting in my car with the window cracked will be enough en plein air for me. Although we had our share of snow so far, I feel fortunate that it is staying just above freezing and raining.

JayD
02-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Meteir and everyone--just do your very best! You all will perservere. Remember what Monet did after his wife died.

Cathie Jones
02-22-2005, 09:04 AM
Meteir and everyone--just do your very best! You all will perservere. Remember what Monet did after his wife died.

Um . . . I guess what he did would depend on whether he liked her or not. But what does that have to do with us??? :evil: ;)

mothsailor
02-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Um . . . I guess what he did would depend on whether he liked her or not. But what does that have to do with us??? :evil: ;)

Maybe JayD is suggesting that we should do very large drawings outdoors, like the 2.5m high canvas Monet painted outside. He had a trench dug so that it could be raised and lowered to the right height! Now that is a REAL plein aire artist!! :D Mind you, it was probably summertime in France...

sultry
02-22-2005, 09:16 AM
CJ, I think that Jay is also sneaking in Art History in our 101 course.

:wave: , Hiyas Dave missed ya, we must of x posted

JayD
02-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Upon Camille's demise--Monet spent a GREAT deal of time OUTSIDE in the cold painting ice as it flowed along the river. Every moment yields inspiration of some sort. Brrrrrrrrr. :D

mhimeswc
02-22-2005, 12:04 PM
We got 7 inches here in NJ also. I took a few photos outside, of flower pots covered with snow, and even one of my snowblower - but none of them inspire me to draw them. It's melting today but I gotta clean - company tomorrow and for the rest of the week. I will find something. Did I hear that this class will be extended a week also?

Sultry - that view of your car under the snow is a still life.

Michelle

jmfletch
02-22-2005, 03:58 PM
It was a chilly 57 deg (F) when I got up this morning. :evil: It is suppose to push 80 degree before the day is done.

Just went outside and checked the thermometer...it is 81 deg. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Don't understand all these complaints about working outside. :evil:

Joe

mickeyw3340
02-22-2005, 05:02 PM
Where can I find the first of the classes for Basic 101. I would like to start there and do them in order. Searching for the first class has turned up nothing. Thanks.

JayD
02-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Hey, Mickey--welcome to 101--you can find the classes by going to the learning center sub forum which is at the top--click on learning center, then there is another click to do and then you are there. And don't worry, we have subs patrolling the area if you need help.--Jay

sultry
02-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Hi Mickey welcome to 101

Actually Jay he needs to click on the right of the Learning Center yellow arrow says Drawing/Sketching then he will find the 101 course. For some reason when you click on Learning Center it only takes you to the Tsunami thread.

Don't understand all these complaints about working outside.

Joe

Joe Hmmmmphhhhhhhhhh (inserts folded arms frownee)

Cathie Jones
02-22-2005, 06:25 PM
It was a chilly 57 deg (F) when I got up this morning. :evil: It is suppose to push 80 degree before the day is done.

Just went outside and checked the thermometer...it is 81 deg. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Don't understand all these complaints about working outside. :evil:

Joe

Hmmph .. . and I can't find a drowning devil icon anywhere! This one will have to do . . . pretend he's under several feet of water . . .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2005/23460-smiley_devil.gif

Mary Woodul
02-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Hmmph .. . and I can't find a drowning devil icon anywhere! This one will have to do . . . pretend he's under several feet of water . . .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2005/23460-smiley_devil.gif

I saw this coming. :evil: I'll keep my mouth shut and won't talk about our weather. :D

cmwynn
02-22-2005, 07:09 PM
No, I shouldn't tell you that it was a perfect day here, either. But I did get out to draw this derelict purple martin house. Aparently they prefer company and this one has 24 apartments = along with missing perches, peeling paint and boken top ornament. And it really is crooked in places, not just poor perspective (so she says.) I looked them up on the Internet and houses like this sell for hundreds of dollars! But the birds eat their weight in insects everyday, so are quite welcome. They also will nest in gourds with the right size holes put in them You can see a metal clothesline strung with several of them here and there. You are welcome to your snow, though we will soon have unbelievalbe pollen and then by May I will have to stop painting outside by 9 AM because it is so hot. A price for everything.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2005/29839-Purple_Martin_Housexm.jpg
edit - oops, it must be 32 with maybe one on the top, too.

Judi1957
02-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Evening All :wave:
Missing my subbie post here. Came home and layed down and out I went. Must have needed that nap.
Joe, Sorry about your weather. :rolleyes:
CJ, Love that snorting devil, reminds me of you and the pastie thing way back in another class. LOL :evil:
Welcome to 101 Mickey, see you soon! :wave: :wave:
Hey Sults and Mary, :wave:
Connie, Speedy there! Nice Martin house. :clap: Looks like it was built by some contractors I know.LOL :D

JayD
02-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Hi, everybody--been working all night on the figure drawing class--I will have a surprise that I think you all wil be excited about. that is all I will say for right now so keep your eyes peeled.--jay

Connie, LOVE the birdhouse.--jay

Metier
02-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Connie -- Makes me feel like spring! Thanks.

Cathie Jones
02-23-2005, 12:06 AM
Hey Connie! How about sending that house out here - it looks in better condition than some of the houses that are sliding down the hills!!

Seriously, it does look good. I like stuff like that with character! :D

Mary Woodul
02-23-2005, 06:43 AM
Good morning everyone! :wave:

CJ, I've been seeing all of the pictures in the news. Are you close to those terrible floods?

Connie, your birdhouse is very nice, the thought of so many nesting is delightful. :D

Those pictures are something, Sults, I am so sensitive to cold and I just can't imagine what it feels like to be out in that. :D

I've, been a little slow catching back my breath. My son and his (now fiancee) came to the house on Sunday to tell us that they will be married in July. He is the only one left unmarried of our sons, and I was afraid he was going to stay a bachelor, so we are very happy and I am just getting over the shock. :D I will start drawing something today. :wave:

mothsailor
02-23-2005, 06:59 AM
Mary, that's great news! Congratulations! :D

Cathie Jones
02-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Congratulations, Mary! Are they planning a big wedding?

I don't think there's anyplace in Southern California that's immune to the flooding right now. Every town has its rivers, creeks, washes - whatever - and they're all overflowing. Lots of houses that were built without regard to water runoff are being flooded, so it's not just the ones you see falling down hills. Our house is on a rise, but it's not man-made, and it's not sandy. We have drains in the low spots in the yard that go to the bottom of the hill, so runoff doesn't weaken it. And we're not getting as much rain as they are in L.A.

sultry
02-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Morning everyone, :wave:

Connie, I really like your birdhouse it has so much character. :clap:

Hi Dave :wave:

Jay your working on Bailey too, wow you do alot a things at once. :)

Hugs, Judi

Mary that is wonderful and I am sure you are happy to have another addition to the family. :)

Wow CJ, I was raised in Simi Valley and my family moved to Palmdale and its raining hard there they told me yesterday. I just saw the Santa Paula airport fell in the river OMG I used to fly out of their in my father's plane.

bjcpaints
02-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Connie - I love your birdhouse drawing! I may have to rethink my lesson pic.
Mary - Congrats - Its so nice when all your birdies have flown the nest and they are happy. :)

Mary Woodul
02-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Thank you all for your words. CJ, they said they wanted to keep it small....250....... :confused: Sultry, yes and she will be a very nice addition to the family. That will be my third daughter in law, so I am well compesated for not having daughters. Barbara, I was beginning to think one wasn't going to fly. :D :wave:

JayD
02-23-2005, 08:59 PM
Guys, because of the weather, there will be another week added to this class. I will be doing at least one more demo thought. Hope this helps. :)

Judi1957
02-23-2005, 09:25 PM
Yipee! Thanks Boss!
I went to get the photographs of the sugar shack from my friends tonite so I could at least start on the building and they could not find them. He also told me he had removed all the pots, buckets and the stuff I thought made it so great. Also a new roof. I think the charm is gone. :(
So thanks for the extra week!

Mary, Congratulations to your son on his engagement! :)

Mary Woodul
02-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Thank you JayD! I can't complain about the weather but I am also behind and I can find SL easier on the weekend, in the country, than out in front of my house, in the city. :wave:

Hi Judi :wave: , thank you!

sultry
02-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Thank you Jay, ummm Jay can I just put in my excavator pic for this class? lol,

JayD
02-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Judi--do what you can from site and see if you can reconstruct it from memory. It would be a good creative excercise. :evil: :)

Mary, congrats on the upcoming marriage. I love weddings. I am sure that wherever you do the SL it will be just perfect. :)

Sults, I would count the Tigger but you have conquered that particular mountain. If I may make a more poignant suggestion--do something along this line--borrow one of your daughter's military caps and take it outside and place it along side something that is a memory of her as a child. :)

By the way, gorgeous comfortable day--ice and sleet tonight, cold friday and very warm on saturday--go figure. In NC if you do not like the weather, wait an hour. :D

Judi1957
02-23-2005, 10:06 PM
LOL JayD, I can't remember last week let alone 5 years ago!!! :D
Okay BOSS, I'll give it a whirl, if the coming storm doesn't give me too much snow to trample thru.

sultry
02-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks Jay but my daughters things are in Utah and I am in CT so that is out. lol I understand what you mean now, I can get something and add it to the outside to make an interesting still life. hmmmm this makes it more interesting and challenging, OK, my imaginative and expressive juices are flowing again.

vasilkadifeli
02-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Guys, because of the weather, there will be another week added to this class. I will be doing at least one more demo thought. Hope this helps. :)

this is good news JayD :clap:, I have just been able to go though these few posts and its already Thursday evening, so what remains is the weekend :rolleyes:...

it's been some time that I don't watch TV in the evenings so I don't have any idea of the floods going over there, but glad to know you were not harmed CJ...

sultry
02-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi Vasil :wave:
Hey everyone FYI, I just added 3 cool looking (sidewalk chalk drawings) in Furr's thread (not mine but its cool). Now thats what I call drawing outside. :cat:

Cathie Jones
02-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Oh No! Sults, I hope you haven't given JayD an idea for a future class!!! :eek:

I cruised through Mary's photos of her Hacienda in the RIL today - - I'll be packing and looking up the driving directions right after work. Mary, that place is absolutely gorgeous! I want to live there!

And . . . it turns out that the patio post and flower pot that look so nice outside have absolutely no interest when transferred to paper. Since that's the only thing close enough to the house to draw from a window, I'll have to wait until this weekend and look for something else. Dang. I hate a wasted Wednesday night!!!

Of course, by this weekend I could be living in Mexico, and there appear to be lots of interesting things around the hacienda!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2005/23460-smiley_teethy_grin.gif

JayD
02-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Hi, CJ--I will be interested in seeing what you come up with--you know your boat drawing is a still life so if you work on that it will count but if you do something different then I am all Yippeees about that as well.

Vasil--get to drawin'--the clock is tickin' down! :evil: :) Oh, speaking of TV--I've gone and gotten myself hooked on something called "The 4400". Looks interesting so far.

Sults, cant wait to see what you dig up! :evil: :D

Cathie Jones
02-25-2005, 12:20 AM
JayD, I'll only be restricted by my ability. We have a Japanese lantern that would look good on watercolor paper, and it's by a waterfall and koi pond. So, if it's dry enough this weekend, we'll see how far I can get with it. I'm really excited about this lesson - - if we can just get the weather to cooperate!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2005/23460-smiley_scratch_head.gif

Mary Woodul
02-25-2005, 07:10 AM

Thank you JayD, promise to come back with two inspirations from the weekend and finish them here at home.

CJ gald you liked the pictures, your welcome anytime, there is plenty of room. If I go to San Miguel Allende in a couple of weeks I'll take pictures of doors, patios and windows for the RIL. It is a very colonial town where a lot of US artists and retired people live.

Hi, Sults, :wave: I was looking for the thread you posted in, but I must have a mental block this morning and couldn't figure out where it was.

Hi Vasil :wave:

Judi1957
02-25-2005, 07:22 AM
Mary, Morning, having lovely weather? :evil: :D :wave:

Here's the link for Sults's sidewalk post:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252585 (http://here)

cleo99
02-25-2005, 10:25 AM
I’m late…. I’m late… I’m late. I do spend a lot of my life feeling like the Mad Hatter!
Hi all :wave: Happy Firday :clap: I'm back from a cold (while on business trip double yuck!)
JD - the demos were great! :clap: Thank you for the extra week! Manhattan does not offer a lot in the way of rabbit hutches, but I’ll find something. We got about 3 inches of snow last night , but at least today is sunny, that opens some possibilities.

We are not going to talk about Joe and his weather :envy:
The Fur thread sidewalk posts were very cool.
Connie – great bird apartment are the birds really purple?
Congrats to Mary on the news
And a very belated Happy Birthday :music: to Stacey

cmwynn
02-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Cleo - how about a fire hydrant? I know there are plenty in Manhattan. In 1976, all the fire hydrants here were painted to look like Uncle Sam, for the bicentennial. Or maybe a doorway? Would that quality, Jay? There are some architectural marvels there, including the lions in front of the main library. Is there too much snow to capture the sculpture in Central Park?

cleo99
02-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Connie, The possibilities are endless, I was heading for the Park tomorrow but we have the Cristo Gates at the moment so it is mobbed.

But I think Patience & Fortitude from the Library are an excellent idea, or maybe Atlas or Prometheus from Roc center.

Regardless I'll have fun. Thanks

JayD
02-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Consider a fire escape. That would be really neat--or garbage cans. clothes hanging across two buildings. Go to the cp forum and check out an artist by the name Nicole--she specializes in street scenes... Consider an out door cafe--a sandwich--a boston Red sox...er NY Yankees baseball cap--go to grand central and take a look around...if you do, see if you can find my copy of "the world According to Garp"--I lost it over 15 years ago there. Go to one of the Broadway Equity houses and ask if they will let you sketch a prop. A bag of popcorn, a hotdog--what a place!!!

cleo99
02-25-2005, 02:04 PM
JD – We are trying to be magnanimous and let another team win er once in a while! I think your book might have gone done in the renovation! I’m just looking forward to some quality couch time with the kitties (read 20 lb junkyard cats) and doing some drawing.

JayD
02-25-2005, 02:16 PM
Hey, Cleo--before you commence with the a drawin'--check out some of the works of Andrew Wyeth. I am bringing him up again to illustrate a point. You hear all this talk about how he sold out or how his art is so Americana or rustic or whatever--complete control of tone--accuracy of line and all that--

But look at his people--even the animals--there is an eerie silence to all of his paintings and then it struck me--that he is a still life painter--even his people are nothing more then props.

So, cleo--see what you can do with the 20 pound cats--also, check out an artist by the name of Bett Borgensen (she has a website) and look at, if she has any posted, her cat paintings which are usually coupled with some sort of inanimate object.

A living still life--imagine that. :)

Cathie Jones
02-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Seems to be a little difficult to get books about Andrew Wyeth. I ordered his autobiography and "First Impressions" from Amazon today, the Helga book is not available! Went to Barnes & Noble after work (in the rain AGAIN) and they didn't have anything in stock.

It's a very good thing that this class has been extended . . . I'm getting very frustrated with the rain! This is not the gentle San Francisco/Seattle kind of rain that you get out and do things in - it's pouring out there! Sheeeeesh. :mad: If it's clear in the morning I'll go out and take some pics.

Y'all have a great evening. And remember . . .

"Tain't no sin to take off your skin and dance around in your bones"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2005/23460-dancing_bonestiny.gif

(it's an old traditional jazz song)

bjcpaints
02-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Hey CJ! Its better than snow! Everytime i go to do mine - the view is change by additional snow!
Barbara

Judi1957
02-26-2005, 09:47 AM
Additional snow! Barb, did you see the forcast?? We are to get 'significant' snow on Monday! UGH! I'm not sure where you are in NYS but if we get 'it', NYS usually gets the same or worse.

JayD, Not too thrilled with doing the sugar shack now and going into the woods on the top of the mountain. :eek:
Found a duck house in the middle of a pond down the street.
Took pics last nite but it was pretty close to dusk. Going back over soon to get a better pic and some on site drawing :angel: . Hope to get this done in the next 2-3 days. :D

sultry
02-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Hi class
Sorry Jay I must confess I am not inspired and I do not have any desire to sketch anything outside.
I should add to this, I am a sufferer of anxiety and going out in the public scares me to death. I live in a new area and this is not easy for me to walk out side and take a stroll around my area to look for something to sketch. I moved here with just 2 suitcases so I do not have any memorable items to sketch.

I am also guilty because I have been working on my daughter's portrait again and I am really connecting to the portrait. I really hate to stop on it now because I am on a roll of getting the likeness. As Judi, is my witness (since I pm her for C&C).

edited to add.. I feel close to you all as a family and that is why I shared a little about my personal condiiton.

Mary Woodul
02-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Good morning everyone! :wave:

Sults, what about something from inside to just drop on the snow and take a picture of it, it would look real surreal and you wouldn't have to adventure out. A book, a shoe, a scarf,etc.

Hi Barbara and Judi. :wave:

CJ :evil: , you sent me your rain :confused: , it never rains down here in February and with it, came the San Luis winds. :(

JayD, I promise to work today, :D with this wind I might see something fly by in the air. :confused:

Hi Cleo. :wave:

Cathie Jones
02-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks, Mary . . . I knew that rain had gone somewhere . . . glad it wasn't lost. :evil: :angel: We have sunshine this morning, but may have more 'pop-up' thunderstorms later, so I'll get out after breakfast and errands and take some pics to work from. If it stays nice, maybe I can get a sketch done, too!
:D

JayD
02-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Sults, if you can't get into it--do your portrait and move on-- that is IMPORTANT--as long as you are drawing something you are going to improve. If you feel like coming back to the outdoor still life at a later time, then do it then. :) I have always said that there is no pressure here and I would like to keep it that way. I would reccomend that you just poke your head out the door and fire off a few snapshots and then work from the photo when you get the time. Good luck with the portrait. :clap: I'm a portrait guy myself so I appreciate you wanting to be in your comfort zone. :) By the way, I am somewhat of a hermit--I have my property but that is pretty much where I go when I am not working. My home and my property is my theme as is my family and my dog. I prefer to be in the woods but not in the city--some people are just built that way--the other thing that you can do is to put your boyfriend to work and have him go out and snap some photos for you and then you can pick and choose in the relative safety of your own home. I have to travel when I work and it just kills me to leave the house and attend meetings but I have to face that problem but getting home is now something I really look forward to.

CJ--you are an absolute hoot with your icons and smiley things! :D If you or anyone want to see the works of Andrew Wyeth WITHOUT buying a book--head over to

http://www.artcyclopedia.com

which will give you links to various museums that house some of his works. You wil absolutely love this site.

EVERYBODY--has anyone thought about just throwing a pair of boots into the bright white snow and drawing that--the darks of the boots against the white of the snow would be very interesting. What other objects can you think of that will have the same effect?

Mary Woodul
02-26-2005, 02:50 PM
JayD, what a nice site, no wonder i like Andrew Wyeths work so much. When I went to the first page I clicked on Magic Realism because it is a favorite with me and there I found him. His work is outstanding. Thank you for sharing the site with us. :D

CJ :mad: :D :wave:

JayD
02-26-2005, 07:13 PM
I thought I would post this outdoor picture that I have been working on all day:

sultry
02-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Wow Jay you put alot of work in this. :clap: It's beautiful I see the depth from how you made the foreground trees look closer because you have sketched them darker and clearer and the farther back ones faded. I see a flow of lines in this as well. :) Great now I know we can sketch just the rock. :)

Mary Woodul
02-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Wow JayD, that is beautiful drawing. I like the way you detailed the rocks and the tree upfront and how it contrasts with the snow.

Judi1957
02-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Hey Sults and Mary :wave:

Hi JayD, :wave: Your drawing is certainly looking fabulous! I can appreciate the time you spent on it!

I did start my duck house today, not too far, but I'll post it anyway. Nothing is really developed yet, but I am determined to get it done by Monday at the latest.
The third post was my greeting party when I arrived at the pond. LOL, they were so cute and friendly!

Cathie Jones
02-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Beautiful landscape drawing, JayD. I like the way you indicated water, and the detail on the closest tree. I'll have to go back and look for the boots! :evil:

I got outside today and did a really awful sketch of the Japanese lantern, so I took a bunch of pictures of it. Started it inside, and did a really awful job of that, too. I think I've forgotten how to draw . . . :eek: So, I'll try again tonight.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2005/23460-mouse_crayons.gif

mhimeswc
02-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Judi, I was wondering what a duck house was. I guess all the ducks I have seen were homeless. :rolleyes:

Michelle

vasilkadifeli
02-27-2005, 02:02 AM
Consider a fire escape. That would be really neat--or garbage cans. clothes hanging across two buildings. Go to the cp forum and check out an artist by the name Nicole--she specializes in street scenes... Consider an out door cafe--a sandwich--a boston Red sox...er NY Yankees baseball cap--go to grand central and take a look around...if you do, see if you can find my copy of "the world According to Garp"--I lost it over 15 years ago there. Go to one of the Broadway Equity houses and ask if they will let you sketch a prop. A bag of popcorn, a hotdog--what a place!!!

yesterday it was a rainy day and holding an umbrella I walked down to the post office to mail my postcards for the 2005 project... I took my digital camera so that on my way I could take some nice still life photo... JayD you are right that some garbage bins or some wreckage is a wonderful subject to draw... but I guess I was tempted a lot in liking the object to draw... so I came back with just a single photo which you can see below and said will try again tomorrow... but today it is raining cats and dogs (boy I like this phrase :D) and is so windy that you cannot even hold an umbrella... I think I will be drawing from the following :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2005/32140-plaine_air_ref.jpg

sultry
02-27-2005, 07:33 AM
Morning A/all :wave:
Judi I think that duck house is adorable. I had no idea ducks had homes either. I think both pics merged together would make a nice painting also. The ducks walking towards us in the foreground is really another stunning composition. Alas, they are not considered still life (unless maybe if you paint them how AW did) otherwise they could be another painting to think about.

Hey Vasil interesting subject. :)

Cathie Jones
02-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Hey Vasil, don't laugh at trash cans. Remember when Dave painted the orange and blue trash can at the park where his daughter was playing soccer? I told him it was good enough to sell, and he did sell it!

I worked a little more on the patio post/flower pot last night because I just couldn't get my pencil to cooperate with the lantern. I'll try again today, but I think that thing wants watercolor, not just graphite.

Judi, like the others I've never seen a duck house. When we lived near a lake and had a swimming pool we had a pair of ducks that would visit us sometimes. It was fun to watch them, but they sure made a mess on the deck!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2005/23460-KILROY.gif

JayD
02-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Vasil, I like "raining cats and dogs as well"--just be careful not to step in the poodles! :D

What is that thing--it looks like a really dangerous pineapple--I like the textures.

Oh, an speaking of trash cans--I photographed porta-potties because they just looked interesting. :)

vasilkadifeli
02-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Hi Sults and all the others :wave: ...

Hey Vasil, don't laugh at trash cans. Remember when Dave painted the orange and blue trash can at the park where his daughter was playing soccer? I told him it was good enough to sell, and he did sell it!

No Cathie, I don't laugh at trash bins... and I agree that they are good subjects for drawing/painting... however I am always tempted to select some subject that I actually like... subjects not so popular and even dull photos usually make good drawings/paintings...

What is that thing--it looks like a really dangerous pineapple--I like the textures.

JayD it is some kind of a succulent or cacti... and it is very close to agave, the plant whose roots are used for tequila drink... here is an illustration of agave :
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2005/32140-agave.gif

Mary Woodul
02-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Hi :wave:

Wow Judi, I love your duck house and I also thought they were homeless.

Vasil I am so interested in your picture because I thought we only had them in Mexico but I went to the Canary Islands once and found some just like ours. Are those in Turkey. For whoever is innterested in the photo I am uploading one of our kind. They are also agave and are for Mezcal which is a liqueur very much like tequila. :D

Judi1957
02-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Vasil and Mary :wave:
Those are really cool plants. They look huge.
BTW Mary, checked out you RIL contributions as well and you live in quite a beautiful place! And I loved the fan plant there too! You have a green thumb for gardenias?

Duck houses, yes, sadly, most are homeless (LOL) but this fortunate family lives on the Community Art Center property. The woman who runs the Center treats the ducks better than she treats people, hence, I do not get involved down there :( (But I would love to have her job! :D )

Judi1957
02-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Hey Sults, One more post and you will be a 4 star gal (not that you are not already :D )

Cathie Jones
02-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Hi guys!

Mary and Vasil, I like those plants - they have a lot of character.

Hi Judi and Sults! :wave:

Well, here goes. I haven't looked closely at this on the screen yet, so I'm just hoping it's okay (because I'm tired of working on it). The patio post, flower pot and grass are in their proper places; although we do have gravel and river rock in the yard, it's not where they appear in the pic, and the tree is actually at the far corner of the house. The yard is pretty complicated, with a 'medicine wheel' design, so I simplified it!

C&C always welcome . . . :D

Judi1957
02-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Hey CJ :wave:
Are you all dry now? Hope you didn't have any problems from all the rain.

Nice job! :clap: Looks like you need to add your darks, that's where I am too.

Is that a gravel border or a short wall?
I think it would be good to move the pot to a more forward position to the right of the post and maybe add another one or two for visual interest. Just a suggestion.

sultry
02-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Hugs Judi
Hey Mary & Vasil time for margaritas :)
LOL funny you say that I was a star girl for 24 years. My ex married name was Estrella (means star in spanish) I divorced him and use my maiden name now but my children are still stars. lol Well 2 of them are (not the married one). Only they are always stars in my heart. :)
Wow CJ that is gorgeous :clap: Yup after you add darks and maybe just fade out the distance objects it will be so realistic. :)

edited to add...Ohhhh I am a minion lol is that another title for blabber mouth in such a short time? (Since my first post was when I started Basic 101) :rolleyes:

Judi1957
02-27-2005, 07:56 PM
I always tell you Sults, you are a yakker! :D
Congrats!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey CJ, Got a smiley for Sults?

Cathie Jones
02-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Yipppeee . . . Sults is an Onion . . . and a star . . . and a yakker (for which I do have a smiley!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2005/23460-smiley_talk_too_much.gif

Thanks for the comments. The drawing is darker IRL than it shows here - didn't realize that until you mentioned it. I will lighten the tree and rocks, although they aren't very far away. The thing that looks like a little wall is a gravel border, about 18" wide - I don't know how to make it look like it should. As for darkening, the wood is painted white, so grey is as dark as it should go, because it's in shadow, but it is daylight. Just noticed that I didn't shadow the tree - I'll do that when I lighten it.

BBL . . .

Metier
02-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Two still lifes -- One outdoors and one in. I have not given up on the charcol. However, the results are not yet acceptable.

Metier
02-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Cathie, what kind of vine is it?

Hi guys!

Mary and Vasil, I like those plants - they have a lot of character.

Hi Judi and Sults! :wave:

C&C always welcome . . . :D

Fireman's kid
02-27-2005, 09:08 PM
I see a lot of people got started on their drawings this weekend. :clap:

Nice landscape, Jay! There is so much detail in that it must have taken you quite a bit of time.

Judi - nice start on the duck house. I had a good chuckle over this comment
I guess all the ducks I have seen were homeless
from Michelle. All of our area ducks are homeless too! :D

Vasil, I also thought the plant you posted looked like a giant pineapple stuck in the ground. :o It would make an interesting still life subject.

Mary, your plant doesn't look so "pineapply" on the bottom. But if you want to bring some Mezcal to class for show & tell I'll be happy to give it a try. :D

CJ - I'm glad you have survived all the rain. Hope you are done with it for a while. Nice job on your drawing. Don't know how to make the gravel read as gravel instead of wall. Is the white area along the gravel another border? Maybe you could eliminate or darken that because to me that looks like the top of the "wall". Not sure though. I really like the overhead beams! :clap:

Hey minion Sults, congrats on the milestone! I can't believe you reached it so quickly. I've been here way longer and I still have so far to go. :(

Metier - two still lifes (lives?) instead of one! Nice work! That couch looks comfy although I am a little confused by the left end. Is the round part someone's head on the pillow or something else?

I also started my drawing today. All week I have been looking at a tricycle abandoned by one of my girls in the middle of the patio. I took pictures of it while it had a little snow around and on it because to me it spoke of the isolation of winter.

Today I finally sat at my kitchen table and drew it (without the snow because it had melted). I want to look at the pictures when I add shading, but first I have to learn how to download them from my digital camera. :rolleyes: Also, for some reason I drew this really small - too small for me to want to detail it. So I will print out a larger version from the scanned drawing and trace it onto another piece of paper then continue from there. C&C welcome as always. I darkened the scanned version so you could actually see the lines. :wink2:

SILKNSATIN
02-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Will you guys stop having so much fun lol geeesh.Now I wanna play to :D
I walk 5 days a week down to the river.My walk is 30 minutes a day.Never have I once taken my camera with me :(
It's to cold to sit outside and do anything and never thought about taking a few shots?.Thanks for waking my brain up.JayD very very good artwork :clap: .I'll be carrying my camera with me tomorrow. :wave:
UMM next is human figure?O yippy :clap:

Judi1957
02-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Hey CJ-Great Yakker smiley. LOL :D :D :D

Metier :wave: I think your charcoal is coming along great. :clap: :clap: I love the plant!
In looking at the couch I think you need to reangle the back cushion 'line' on the drawings right to lean more left, and get rid of the couch lines and portray the cushions with shading, not lines. I am a little confused as to what is happening on the couch as well - left side.
Great job! :clap:

Stacey :wave: Love the trike, I don't see them too much anymore. :( Miss those days!
Looking good :clap: :clap:

Hey Bon! :wave: Come in and play too! :D Will be anxious to see your pictures!

Posting stage 1, I don't think my first post counted, just wanted to show the Boss I was a workin' :angel:
Shifted to working in the rear B4 I got all the darks in the water, just for less smearing/mess. I extended the side of the pond on the drawing's right side too much, but I may leave it that way, I'll see when I get back to that section of the drawing.
Question: There is a wroght iron fence on the top of the wall in the bg, do you (anyone) think it is too much in the pic or should I leave it out?

JayD
02-27-2005, 09:57 PM
Bon, thank you very much

Sults--congrats on being Minionated. Yeah, you post a lot--but you post because you care and that means you bring value to the forum. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Meteir--you are no longer bound to use charcoal--it is there if you choose too--the last lesson were just to introduce you to the techniques. Of your two pictures, well, I love them both but believe it or not I am really drawn to the first one--there seems to be such freedom there. Great work! :clap: :clap:

Judi, I had NO clue what a duck house was--I thought it was a decoy shop--but now I know--great work on the drawing!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Staci--Love the tri-cycle--I think it speaks to all of us! Do try to develope this further--you have another week to go. This we are on to bodies.

Cathi--Love the work especially the vinage--I hope you are going to develop the values a little further. I think you are on to something here. Good work!!! :clap: :clap:

vasilkadifeli
02-28-2005, 01:05 AM
Vasil I am so interested in your picture because I thought we only had them in Mexico but I went to the Canary Islands once and found some just like ours. Are those in Turkey. For whoever is innterested in the photo I am uploading one of our kind. They are also agave and are for Mezcal which is a liqueur very much like tequila. :D

Hi Mary,

I don't think it is the same agave as yours... I looked at the internet but couldn't spot its name... hovever I guess it is a very close relative... it looks the same but the leaves are blue-grey in color... they are planted in parks, and become huge plants... the one I took its photo must have been around 1 meter in hight but you may find taller ones in private gardens... also as far as I know they produce some tall flowers as the one you saw in my illustration above, and I guess this happens once in their lifetime, after which they die... well this is what I know and may not be correct...

Stacy,

the bottom part that looks like a pineapple is due to those old leaves that had dried and fallen... btw this is a long living plant...

Cathie Jones
02-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Hi Metier - I'm not sure what the vine is. I asked for Trumpet Vine, and the landscaper said it doesn't grow in California, so he planted this, which looks exactly like trumpet vine to me! Here's a pic from last fall. Hummingbirds love this stuff!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2005/23460-TrumpetVine.jpg

sultry
02-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Morning Everyone :wave:
Awe Stacy that brings back memories :) I love it too and yes it speaks to me. Great Idea to print it out and trace it larger too.

Oh Judi that is looking so nice I do not know about you, but the rod iron fence may take away from the foreground if you do not fade it enough. Its up to you but I would make sure your foreground has more value if you do decide to put it in.

Metier, I thought someone was asleep on the couch as well, looks like someone all rolled up in a blanket.

Jay why ty very much :)

Bon hey girl I am dying to see what your creative mind will bring us.

CJ, you make me home sick, :( showing those vines. :crying:

Aweee, I am venturning out today everyone to try to find something to sketch, wish me luck. :) (even it I peek out my backdoor). lol
:cat:

sultry
02-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Oh forgot to say ty CJ for the cute yakker smiley lol heh heh

cleo99
02-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Well JD if this class did nothing else, it got us all outside on a winter weekend.

Sults – Congratulations on the elevation to minion status!!!!!!!! :clap:
It’s not yaking, it is the urging and proding and helping the rest of us that got your there. Thanks.
(And for my two cents consider the shadows on the snow – they are sometimes more fun than the objects)

I braved the last weekend of the “Gates” crowd and hit Central Park on over the weekend. I headed for the Rambles a (where we keep all of our rustic stuff) and got lots of shots of benches and bridges in the snow. Then proceeded to walk all over town! I had a great time, and have started one drawing, but it still has a long way to go.

JayD – The Wyeth side trip was great, as usual found new people to like on the trip! Also I finally did find find the cat (and dog and rabbit) still-lifes by Bet Borgeson, browsing her Basic Colored Pencil book at Barnes and Noble. She has really tempted me to try CP.

It’s a good thing I took the photos, because it is supposed to snow another foot here tonight! More cabin fever UGH!!! And NO we do not want to hear from the folks in the sunny climes, you will just make us gripe louder!

CJ your yard looks warm – which is good enough for me!
Stacey the trike looks terrific!

Judi1957
02-28-2005, 12:07 PM
I am wondering about the forecast storm, they are already sending the kids home from school and it's not snowing :confused: . Well, better stop for milk, bread, eggs and TP on the way home. :eek: :eek:
Sults :wave: , thanks, I was just wondering if the drawing would be too busy, yes you are correct, the fence will be light and I think I will do it just for the challenge as it does exist. :eek:

Fireman's kid
02-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Judi, the storm just started here an hour ago. The schools called a 12 noon early dismissal this morning before school had even started! :eek: I guess they wanted to give working parents a chance to find child care.

So far the snow is melting on the roads but we are supposed to get up to a foot of new snow. yippee. :crying: Oneof my girls has an eye doctor appoint this afternoon, then I guess we'll be snowed in with everyone else. No art class for me tonight. bummer. But maybe I can get hubby to help me with the digital camera so I can work on my trike some more! :angel: :)

By the way, I love the duck house. The light background looks great behind the detail of the foreground. I think the fence will be alright if you treat it like the rest of the background.

bjcpaints
02-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Wow - Everyone's "plein air" drawings are looking great! I started one of a large birdfeeder in front of our house. You will not even believe what happened. A snowy owl has been hanging around here a lot the last week and I have seen it swooping a couple of times - they eat voles and small birds and we have lots of both. The darn owl got one of my chickadees! :mad:
Well, I have not finished my drawing and we are in for upwards of a foot of snow where I live (higher elevation)! I may get a snow day tomorrow!

Mary Woodul
02-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Good afternoon everyone! :wave:

Thank you Judi, glad you like the fan palm but I don't know whose gardenias you saw, cause I don't have any. :D Your pond and duck house is fabulous, the water is so watery looking. :D (couldn't find another word to express that.)

CJ, I'd love to see your garden from above, I know it must be beautiful. Your drawing is looking good.

Sults, congratualtions on your new star. I'm sure you are going to pass me and have the fifth, before me. You deserve it. :clap:

Metier, those are very interesting drawings. What is the plant?

Stacey I'll get some mezcal for all of us and then we will really be inspired, besides warming you guys with the bad weather. Your tricycle is so cute. Does it belong to your child?

Bon, those faces on your signature line are just darling.

Vasil, you are right, once they flower, they die. Here, they roast the stem of the flower and slice it in about 2 inch circle and chew it like sugar cane. you discard the fiber. It has a somewhat exotic sweet flavor. It is called "quiote" prepared that way. We have the blue agave also and a striped one. It is a symbolic plant for Mexico, that is why I was pleasantly surprised when I saw your picture.

Wow CJ, what a gorgeous vine, I have never seen one of those.

Judi, Stacy, Sults, Barbara and Cleo, take care and keep warm.

JayD, hope your weather is OK. :D

Here is a preliminary sketch and I see my milk can needs correcting at the bottom. The rim is off. :eek: :wave:

Judi1957
02-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Evening All, :wave:
JayD & Sults, Thanks,

Just went out for a bit with my boys (yeh, in the storm that finally hit :rolleyes: ). Not real nice out there, but my trusty VW Golf gets me around. Luke has been in for the past 2 weeks and will be returning to Calif. on Wednesday to go out on a carrier, won't be seeing him till Christmas. :crying: :crying: :crying:

Stacy, Thanks. Hope your roads are better than here, you too Barb, Sults, Michelle, Cleo and anyone else in this mess.

Barb, so sorry about your chickadee! :(

Mary, Thanks. Maybe I meant begonias? The potted flowers that lined your entrace drive, well, whatever they were, they looked beautiful! :D

CJ, I would have called that a trumpet vine too (not that I seem to be that good at identifying plants, LOL) :D

Metier
02-28-2005, 08:30 PM
The plant is the remains of last year's Sedum that looks like this thumbnail. This is not my plant but the colors are the same. Its in my backyard sketched last summer off of my deck discussed below.

Cathy. My deck has a simlar view with the bare vines twisty around posts. My are Wisteria (2) with purple flowers and some generic vine.

The sketch is a certain animal, genus - bagworm. She turned over when she saw me sit down with my sketchbook. She thought this would keep me from sketching her.

Good afternoon everyone! :wave:

Metier, those are very interesting drawings. What is the plant?

:

Fireman's kid
02-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Since we have a few people from NY, NJ and PA here, I hope it is okay to post this off topic link.

There is talk of a WC gathering near Philadelphia. Go here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3264752#post3264752) to learn more.

Sorry Jay, I'll get back on topic now. :angel:

Metier, this...
The sketch is a certain animal, genus - bagworm. She turned over when she saw me sit down with my sketchbook. She thought this would keep me from sketching her.
made me laugh. How old is your bagworm?

Judi - I didn't know you were enjoying a visit with Luke. And still finding time to draw too, how impressive! I can't imagine not seeing a child (or parent) for so many months. I would be crying too. :crying: Our roads were fine when I was out and about. They didn't really get snow covered until dinner time right after hubby got home from work. Perfect timing if you ask me. :D

Mary - I bet some Mezcal would really loosen up my drawings. :evil: The trike belongs to my girls. I have 5 y.o. twins. They have real bikes now and are really too big for the trikes, but they like to ride them around on the patio, especially when it is too cold to get the bikes out of the garage.

Barb - So sorry to hear about the chickadee. My parents live on a lake. One year they had baby birds living in on of their birdhouses. Well, the baby birds never grew up to be big birds because the heron that lives on the lake ate them! After that, my mom wouldn't let my dad hang his heron painting in the house. lol He wants to sell it. She keeps telling him to just give the darn painting away. She has never forgiven that heron.

Okay, time for me to go work with that digital camera, before hubby falls asleep on the couch. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Cathie Jones
02-28-2005, 09:14 PM
:D Metier, I hope the 'bagworm' doesn't read this forum!! LOL
I love wisteria, and that's what I'd have on the posts if Don wasn't so allergic to it.

Mary, I like your milk can already. I'm also envious of the top elipse - that's always one of my trouble spots.

All of you Northeasters try to stay warm and dry. We had some rain showers again today, but they were passing through quickly, and the temp got up to about 55F. I'll be glad when it gets warm to stay and my vines are growing and blooming again. Right now, they really are the 'sticks' that you see in my drawing.

Good smells are coming from the kitchen, so I'll see y'all later!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2005/23460-flower_sneezing.gif

Judi1957
02-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Mary, sorry didn't comment on your drawing (I can be such a dunce some days :rolleyes: ), The can looks great! I like the start of the hay bale(sp?)too!
:clap: :clap:

JayD
02-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Mary, that looks like a Milk Can and a stool with a pitchfork and hay--that's a grand smell! Is there a cow? The can is very well developed but I like the loose expressive gestures of the other objects--it creates contrast--see if you can better define the hay with lights and darks. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Meteir--I did a double take when I saw you picture reminds me of my house and my wooden privacy fence. Nicely drawn--see if you can add some values (shadows) to indicate the position of the sun--very nice work! :clap: :clap: :clap:

sultry
02-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Mary your piece is a wonderful composition and it really follows the AW style. :clap: Mary remember the hair study I sent you? Use that technique with the hay and you will get what Jay is saying.

CJ, your such a HOOT I love that silly sneezing flower. lol

Judi, I hope you took plenty of pics of Luke for more later portraits to do of him.

Jay, I see Bailey in your signature you should also add your daughter too.

Meteir great outdoor sketch.

Na na na na .... I found an outdoor composition today and I am not telling what it is...you all have to wait and see when I post it. lol :cat:

Mary Woodul
02-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Thank you JayD, so happy that you recongnized the bail of hay, it just looked like a lot of scratchy lines to me. Yes, there is a cow, I wish I had thought of that. Well, maybe for the figure drawing :D , just kidding. :evil:
JayD, I love your signature line drawings and can't keep my eyes off Bailey's eyes.

Thank you Sultry, I will keep in mind what you and JayD said. I'm dying to see what you are going to come up with. :clap:

Judi I hope time flies by fast so you will see Luke soon again.

Thank you Cathy, that is my weak spot too.

Metier, what is a bagworm? :confused:

vasilkadifeli
03-01-2005, 05:29 AM
...Vasil, you are right, once they flower, they die. Here, they roast the stem of the flower and slice it in about 2 inch circle and chew it like sugar cane. you discard the fiber. It has a somewhat exotic sweet flavor. It is called "quiote" prepared that way. We have the blue agave also and a striped one. It is a symbolic plant for Mexico, that is why I was pleasantly surprised when I saw your picture...

aah Mary yes ! we do have the yellow strapped one here too ;)... yellow straps on each side of the leaves... so if that one we have here is the real agave (btw I won't chew the flower stem without knowing it for sure :D) I would say that it is a so common plant that should be available in many other places in the world, here it is very common in parks and gardens...

bjcpaints
03-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Having a hard time getting this to post. Good morning from the foothills of the Adirondack mountains. I am home - we got 9+ " of snow and counting. Does not look like I will make it to work - would be a 2 hour drive at least. Here is my prelim drawing of my Dee dee dees, I used a charcoal wash under the sunflower seeds. This of course is "sans neige". Hate to pile all that #>&}~#^! snow on it. The squirrel baffle was done with a graphite stick and blended with a tortillion. I am trying. I will clean it up and define the values and detail the chickadees a bit more.

Judi1957
03-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Barb,
This is going to be lovely with your little chickadees!
:clap: :clap:
I know you know to darken the values and make it pop. LOL
Looking forward to stage 2!

Sorry Barb, I have no clue what "sans neige" is. I am pretty darned ignorant when it comes to art terms(?). Can you tell me please?

Cathie Jones
03-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Judi, I'm not taking bets on this, but considering Barb's comment after 'sans neige' I'm thinking it means 'without snow.' I envy people who are bi-lingual.

mothsailor
03-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Hi everyone!

CJ, I guess you are bi-lingual after all, 'cos that's just what it means! Great work on the vine. Looks very complicted to draw!

Mary, that's a lovely picture. If I were a cow, I'm sure my mouth would be watering looking at that hay!

Barbara, so you decided to add some living life to your still life! :D That's a great start, snow or no snow!

Judi, those are lucky duckies having such a nice house! I love how you are rendering the water...I think that's really hard to do well.

Stacy, my little girl used to have a trike a bit like that. Look forward to seeing it develop.

Sults, belated congrats on your star! Keep on yakking, please!!

Probably missed people out, if so, my apologies. I'm working on mine now...hope to be able to post something later this evening.

bjcpaints
03-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Came home early so I could get in the driveway! A foot of snow here on top of what we already had! I did not see mt post when I checked at work -but here it is. I was so mad because I lost my comments on everyone's work and will have to go back and look again. Yeah, French - not art term - sans neige - and it sounds pretty good right now. Thanks Judi and I will happily darken values and leave out the snow!
OH, I remember I wanted to comment on your drawing Mary - looks very "old timey" - I like it.
Metier - Nice sketch!
Stacey -Thanks for the link - I am interested and will pm Robinz.
I will have to just say hello to everyone else - please forgive me for not being able to keep up!

mothsailor
03-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Here is an early stage of a drawing of a bike by the entrance to my college. Lots more to do!

Judi1957
03-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Evening All! :wave:

Barb, a foot of snow! :( So sorry. We didn't get near what we were to get-YET.

Stacy, I think a WC reunion would be great! :clap: I would definatley come if the date is firmed up and there are no conflicts with family/work things that cannot be put aside.

Dave, You have a great start here. :clap: Can you tell us something about the building?
Thanks-Actually water is not hard to draw, just lines of different values. This is the first time in pencil.

Judi1957
03-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Hey CJ! :wave:

Bedtime, no work tomorrow, Yeah! :clap: :clap:

Posting stage 3.
Now that it is uploaded I see my transition of darks, especially in the trees going from foreground to bg needs work. Need a lot more darks elsewhere too.
C & C please.

Good-night....

mothsailor
03-02-2005, 02:36 AM
Judi, that's a wonderful drawing...so detailed, even the railings in the background are done so carefully. I guess you want to keep the values muted in the background to help it recede.

Thanks for your comments. I've attached the photograph that I'm working from. The building is Jesus College, which was founded in 1571 by Elizabeth I. The current entrance isn't that old, though--probably 18th century. Here is a link (http://www.jesus.ox.ac.uk) if you want to see more. I think it is one of the most beautiful colleges in Oxford, but I suppose I'm a little bit biased!

Judi1957
03-02-2005, 08:18 AM
Dave :wave: ,
Wow, what a beautiful campus. :clap: :clap:
Thanks for the tour!
They don't make buildings like that anymore!

mothsailor
03-02-2005, 08:41 AM
You're right, Judi, I'm a lucky man! :) Some of the hidden parts of the college are good too, especially the wine cellar!! :D http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2005/52179-copas.gif

JayD
03-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Dave, I like the bike and the crop--good decision to show just part of the bike. Work on developing your darks. :)

Judi--that is amazing. The water is outstanding and I love the way the objects in the background melt into the snow. Perfect and in the spirt of Wyeth! :clap: :clap:

Barb, I am a birder so I love the birdfeeder. I took Bailey out this morning and he was so happy playing with the birds (bird buzzing) that our walk (to get him to do his business) took longer then expected.

Regarding the feeder--work on establing your light source--where is the sun coming from and then try to see if you can develop some textures in the bird sees in the container. Also, how about reflections or a glint in the glass from the sun? Nice work so far. :)

bjcpaints
03-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Jayd - There was no blessed sun! We got well over a foot of new snow! Sorry to be touchy about this, but I would have loved to have seen the sun glinting off the birdfeeder. Also, It is filled with black sunflower seed which is not quite as dark as the chickadee's caps. I will work on it again someday - maybe when Spring comes.
Barbara

JayD
03-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Barb, here is my point--you're the boss--you don't EVER have to be exact--if your spirit feels the urge to add something--then go for it! :clap: :clap: :) :clap: Don't let the world be your limit--let it, instead, be your inspiration. :)

Cathie Jones
03-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Hi JayD! :wave:

Dave, I just took the tour of your college. You are very luck to work in such a beautiful place! And I also like the cropped bike.

Judi, I love your pond and think the values are perfect. The distant trees look as it's snowing, and the foreground has the required darks. And that water is to die for!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2005/23460-smiley_not_worthy

bjcpaints
03-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Barb, here is my point--you're the boss--you don't EVER have to be exact--if your spirit feels the urge to add something--then go for it! :clap: :clap: :) :clap: Don't let the world be your limit--let it, instead, be your inspiration. :)

No, You are the boss and I apologize. I have been under enormous amounts of stress at work lately and I think I may have taken on too much outside of work: getting ready for upcoming shows, new commissions I have been asked to paint, both my Mom and my MIL are not doing well, planning to leave for Maine the end of the month to see my daughter and grandkids. My 2 hour RT commute has turned into 3 with all this blessed snow! OK, I'm done ranting now.

mothsailor
03-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Sorry to hear you're having a hard time at the moment, Barbara. Hope things settle down a bit soon. Sounds like a break in Maine is just what you need! Never been there, but I believe it is really beautiful.

sultry
03-02-2005, 10:50 AM

Barb, I love your birdies & bird feeder, you have done a wonderful job on your perspective too. :clap: Well here is the bright side of things Barb, you will see family soon & hey your getting commissions. :)

Dave!!! I really love that college entrance and the bike cropped like that gives us the indication of maybe a student or teacher is parking it, or even riding by. Wow and a wonderful college to work at for an artist too, such inspiring grounds.

I wish I had a pup or kitten to play with Jay, I even miss taking them out to take care of their business or even cleaning the litter box. lol

Judi you better not touch the faded bg it looks completed to me (inserts hands on hips smiley here).

I have not started on my outside ptg yet & dang you guys are really putting in some wonderful graphite work.

Mary Woodul
03-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi Everyone! :wave:

Barbara I love your bird feeder and chikadees. I love birds and I have a little tiny yellow breasted guy that is in my back yard but I am sure he is just here for the winter. I have to research on birds because I have had some beautiful ones in the winter and then they disappear. I'm sure they fly back home. Hope things improve for you and be careful on the roads. :D

Dave, your drawing is awesome. The cropped bike, really gives it something special and thanks for the link to your College. I read all of the history which is very interesting and the grounds and architecture are beautiful.

Wow Judi, I can't get over that water and the effect in the background, IMHO, is just perfect. I agree with CJ, it even makes you feel the mist.

Hi Sults, I know how you feel about the pet. I have some at the ranch but not here and I love to have a cat on my lap. :D

Well I'll go finish my milk can, :wave:

vasilkadifeli
03-02-2005, 03:14 PM
you are all doing so well :clap:... I started this on Sunday evening and found time to improve it only today... here is where I am now and I am already bored of it :rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2005/32140-plein_air1.jpg

sultry
03-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Hiyas Mary & Vasil :wave:
Mary looking forward to your milk can update. :clap:

Vasil wow great composition and if your board with it add something personal that will keep you interested in it. I really like how your lines show depth in the whole picture. :clap:

BTW, peeps Judi posted a WIP here in the D/S fora of baby katie and it looks great already.

mothsailor
03-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Here's an updated version of my still-life.

SILKNSATIN
03-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Looking great everyone :clap: :clap:
Vasik wow very nice.
I'm sooooooooooo slooooooowwwwwwww :(
But ill get in here soon :D

Judi1957
03-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Evening all! :wave:
Just put Luke on the plane and he should be flying over your house CJ around 8 tonite. He said he would wave to you. :wave:

Vasil,
Sorry you are bored with it. I liked Sultry's suggestion to put in a personal item. You are certainly getting there. :clap: I think the leaves could use some more layers then you could remove the lines. How about texturing the grass?-that'll keep you busy! :D

Dave,
You have made progress here. I really think this is going to be wonderful! :clap: Just a suggestion, the wooden panels could be straightened up so they are in line with each other. Practice a bit on the side to try to get the textures, there is a lot of textures in the ref.

Hey Sults & Bon, :wave:

JayD
03-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Dave, I am really pulled to the bike--it's very sleek looking--check your perspective and again, I say very good choice of a subject. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Vasil--step away from the drawing or turn it upside down or switch hands and work on the darks--your line drawing is very good and once you've taken it as far as to the point that you are bored with it you should probably move on to another phase--I would just suggest that you start playing with the darks. Great job as usual, Vasil! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cathie Jones
03-02-2005, 10:07 PM
All of the drawings are looking so good!

Vasil, I like that plant - I think JayD would call it good 'draftsmanship.' Looking forward to seeing this one finished. :clap:

Dave, I also like the bike, but what pulls me into your drawing is the depth. I feel pulled right into the doorway . . . :clap:

Bon, we haven't even seen yours yet and we know it's great!!! Can't wait for another piece of inspiration.

So, here's my patio (kind of) again. I believe I've darkened all I can in the forefront and still keep the wood white. When will I learn not to pick white subjects??? The background is lightened and given just a bit more character. Let me know if I succeeded with the gravel border - it doesn't look like a wall to me, but if you have a suggestion, don't be shy!!

Judi1957
03-02-2005, 10:38 PM
CJ, :wave:
I wasn't saying it looked like a wall, it looked like it could have been either. Looks like gravel :) :clap:
I think white makes interesting challenges, and you did it!
The grass looks great too! :clap: :clap:
That is your view from your back yard? - :envy: (you said 'kind of'-so I'm not sure) Nice place for morning coffee!

JayD
03-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Hi, CJ--its looking good so far--dont be afraid of the darks! :evil: :) :D

I really love the work you have done on the vine and I like the weird little tree that looks like it is swaying in a breeze. This is a personal nit but I am not sure that I like the top of the tree which is in the distance touching(or appearing to touch) the beam. It seems to mess up the perspective for me but again, I say it is a person nit for me and you should use your judgement. I have have to fly across the United States for breakfast! :D

cmwynn
03-03-2005, 07:40 AM
Got early to read this thread. I play lots of solitaire while waiting for pages to load! I have enjoyed seeing all the drawings, though by now I have forgotten the details. CJ, the white post impresses me. It shows as white, hard to do. Vasil, I think this is the same plant we had in Florida called the century plant. The drawing is fine. The birdfeeder and duck house both are delightful. Wish I could be at the college, old buildings have so much more character than new ones. The tricycle looks good so far. Hope those snowed in can get some relief soon.
Sultry, I used to be very self-conscious, but as I get older, I am much more relaxed. Hope this happens to you too. Now I go out to paint anywhere, don't care what people think. Most of them probably think I am an old bag lady, not a REAL artist - though they might confirm that if they looked at my paintings.

Cathie Jones
03-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Good morning class! Thanks for all the comments. The only part of the patio view that's true is the patio, flower pot, gravel and grass. The rest is made up. I took some pics of the yard this morning, but the files are big, so I put them on a page on our web site. Here's the link: Cathie's Yard (http://www.americanrag.com/HousePics.htm) If that link doesn't work for you, try this: http://www.americanrag.com/HousePics.htm in your browser address window.

Did I tell you we're going away for a few days? Kind of a work/play thing - a jazz festival in Monterey. Leaving today, back Monday, but I'll have my trusty little laptop with me, so I won't be out of touch.

Thank you, Connie. I'll be more careful in the future about selecting white things to draw!!!

Gotta pack . . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2005/23460-mardigator_small.gif

Edit: Judi, forgot to tell you I saw Luke's wave and waved back at him! Bet he's glad to be in warm San Diego!!!

mothsailor
03-03-2005, 11:09 AM
CJ, That's not the Monterey jazz festival, is it? Lucky you going to Monterey, anyway. Are you going to pass through Big Sur on your way? I love that stretch of the coast. If you're passing, pop in to Nepenthe and have a drink for me! I seem to remember there is a state park just south of Carmel where you can see sea otters playing in the ocean and watch the grey whales migrating. Point Lobos, I think it's called. Sigh. Must go back there someday.

Nice view from your back yard!

Mary Woodul
03-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Hi! :wave:

Vasil, your plant is coming along just fine and I see you got the shape, because as easy as agaves look, they are not, they are very tricky. The first show I had was a series of mixed media cacti and I have always enjoyed painting them.

Dave, I just love your drawing, it has that dream like ambience to it that I like so much.

CJ, your is lloking good and I love the pictures of you yard. You have a beautiful place and I can imagine how relaxing it is to hear the water trickle down the stones. Have a nice trip, and enjoy yourself immensely. :envy:

JayD, where are you going? :confused:

Hi, Sults, Judi, Connie and Bon.

Here is my 2nd update on my milk can. I don't know what to do with the background and I still see lots of things that need shading and light. :confused:

Judi1957
03-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Hey CJ :wave: Have a great time at the fest! :envy: Thanks for the home tour. What a great place, the view is so-o-o wonderful! :clap: :clap:

Hey JayD, Connie and Dave :wave:

Mary, the hay bale is spectacular!!!!! :clap: :clap: Wow! As is the rest of your drawing.

Judi1957
03-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Anyone seen Joe and Blah??????? :(

Cathie Jones
03-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Dave, this is not THE Monterey Jazz Fest - it's the 25th annual Dixieland Monterey (http://www.dixieland-monterey.com/) . Our newspaper covers traditional jazz (Louis Armstrong is a good example) and ragtime, but we don't extend to modern jazz.

Glad you liked the tour . . . we'd like to downsize, the house is too big for just two of us now that we're working electronically and don't need the light tables and stuff that goes with pasting-up newspaper artwork . . . but we don't want to give up the view!

Going pretty soon, so I'll say good-bye for now . . . be back tonight or in the morning.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2005/23460-smiley_blow_a_kiss.gif

JayD
03-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Mary, the bale of hay is spectacular--it is amazing that something so ordinary could be so beautiful.

CJ--dont forget Woody Allen--he's big into dixieland. Enjoy the journalistic jorunal and bring some stuff back you can draw. Got to be a million muses down there.

Hi, Connie--we miss you

Hi, Judi--love your AbooTar :D

Been gone most of the day--it is Jen's 18th birthday and she goes to college this fall and so I will be losing my favorite model.

Judi1957
03-03-2005, 09:05 PM
A - BOO -tar Did I scare you? LOL

Cathie Jones
03-03-2005, 11:32 PM
Hi guys - we made it. What a beatiful drive it was after all the rain. I've already taken 43 photos - out the car window at 80 mph!!!

This place is so wonderful, you can't go half a block without seeing great things to draw, but it's especially good for painting. I'll be bringing back tons of photos for everyone to use.

Gotta go . . . I'm on dial-up and they charge for local calls here. Took 10 minutes just to get onlne and to this page! See you tomorrow .. .

Judi1957
03-04-2005, 07:52 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEN!!!!! :clap: :wave: :D :) :clap: :wave: :D :)

Mary Woodul
03-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Happy Birthday Jen!!!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2005/43096-regalito1.gif

Thank you Judi and JayD, I will still work on some shading and I think the milk can is a little flat.

Judi, I also like your new avatar, I think it is nice to see a post and know who's talking to you.

BTW, I was asking myself the same question yesteday about Blah and Joe.

:wave:

JayD
03-05-2005, 06:44 AM
Hi, everyone--I will be working hard on the class today because tomorrow I have to work on Jen's FAFSA which is like doing your taxes twice but I have a March 15th deadline to get those accursed forms in.

Thanks everyone for the birthday well wishes--I will convey them to my daughter. I am sure that she will be pleased.

Next class is going to cover some elements of figure drawing--I had planned on providing you all with a source for an online virtual figure studio (male and female) from Virtual Pose and had obtained permission from the owner Henri Chaktour who actually created a website for the class but I never got a firm ok to use it from the Wetcanvas owner since Henri wishes to sell, obviously, a CD. I understand and respect both of their postions but I am more concerned with the best interest of the class.

If anyone wants the link for the class privately--let me know and I will pm or email it to you.

Judi1957
03-05-2005, 10:58 AM
I hate filling out those college forms too! :(

I would like the link JayD. :)

SILKNSATIN
03-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Leaving right now for an overnight trip but will be back tomorrow night and maybe i can take some snap shots while im gone.

JayD
03-05-2005, 01:08 PM
I dont want to turn this into a Jen thread but she sends thanks to all of your for the well wishes and also I wanted to let you know that she just placed second (won a small scholarship) in Shakespeare composition.

Dave and Judi, I will send you guys the links prior to the start of the class--look for them on Sunday night thereabouts.

Does anyone else want the links. These are nude life study models that that you can move about to change the view of the pose. Just let me know.

Judi1957
03-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Congrats on the scholarship Jen!
That is wonderful.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD---Looking forward to the male nudes! :evil: :D :evil:

mhimeswc
03-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Well, I'm behind again but I didn't want anyone to think I've dropped out. I've been looking at all the wonderful drawings being posted. My backyard is still covered with snow. I've taken a couple of photos during the week but nothing even remotely interesting to draw. I WILL get one done, even if it ends up being late.

Michelle

JayD
03-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Judi and company--Jen sends her thanks for everything.

Michelle--go back to your pictures if you get a chance and play with cropping some of the images. You would be surprised at what you can stumble onto using a good crop. In my signature line is my face picture of my dog Bailey.. I thought it was a useless photo because I had an odd angle on the dog but then, on a whim, I cropped it and go what I thought was an interesting drawing. Doesnt work all the time but it could not hurt to give it a shot. :)

Cathie Jones
03-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Hi class! We've had music - music - music - all day. Just taking a quick break between sets of a band we want to hear a second time.

Just in time, it seems. Happy Belated Birthday to Jen . . . and yes please send me the link.

Gotta run . . . see y'all later! I miss you guys, but we sure are having a good time.

sultry
03-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Happy Belated Birthday & Congrats Jen, wow Jay you must be a very proud PaPa.
Mary I love your piece it looks so country and I am waiting to hear a cow moo in the background. :D
CJ, lovely back yard, you must have alot of nice bar b Qs out on your patio. Your picture is very good and I like how you decided to crop a piece as if we are sitting on one of your lounge chairs.

Connie I am not as bad as I used to be, I can go anywhere if someone I know goes with me. When I go alone I am a nervous wreck but I do go out alone. I am just wierd, lol, I can sing karaoke to a crowd of strangers, yet I cannot feel comfortable in a crowd. I guess it is a matter of doing something that takes my mind off of people around me. I can not see them when I am singing. lol

Hey Jay pm me link too please. :cat:

jmfletch
03-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks to all who missed me. :D

JayD gave us two weeks on this one and I am still behind. At this point I have a preliminary sketch of half of a tree. :mad:

Sults - Congrats on being Minioned! :clap: :clap:

Judi - Your duck house is awesome!!

CJ - I was going ot leave a note asking to see your medicine wheel garden but there is is in living color! Beautiful.

Metier - I like your charcoal especially the flowers.

Fireman's Kid - Trike is definitely you!!! :D

Mary - I love the lighting in your hale/fork can drawing!

Barbara - Your birdfeeder gave me flashbacks to living in rural RI!!

Dave - Open doors and gates always fascinate me. Good job!

Vasil - Your cacti composition is very good. Your drawing looks like a book illustration for plant identification!

Belated Birthday wishes and Congrats to JEN!!!

Hopefully I will catch up again this week.

Walk in Peace
Joe

JayD
03-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Don't worry, Jim--you will catch up--this upcoming one should be an interesting week! :D

Mary Woodul
03-07-2005, 07:28 AM
Good morning everyone! We got in late last night and I didn't have time to post my last stage of the milk can, so here it is. I'm off to class 14....yipee :D

mhimeswc
03-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Nice drawing, Mary! :clap: That haystack is terrific!

Michelle

JayD
03-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Mary, Fantastic!!! I can smell the hay!!!

Fireman's kid
03-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Wow Mary, that is fantastic!! :clap: I love it! Great composition, great milk can, really great hay bale...great everything! :clap: :clap:

SILKNSATIN
03-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Well I ended up staying gone two nights :D
But I did take a snap shot of a little landscaping I started on just before cold weather came.It's not all done and can't wait for spring to finish this area.
Just a quick sketch since im so late.Hey i'm starting a late record here lol
Wow congrats to jen.
CJ love yours backyard.Took my inheritance and just baught my home last july.So I have so much work to do yet.But sure does feel good you can do what ever you want to it. :D
Some awesome work you all :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
03-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Great sketch Bon! :clap: :clap:
Glad to have you back! :wave:

Mary Woodul
03-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Thank you! Michelle, JayD and Stacey. :D

Great landscaping and drawing, Bon.

Judi1957
03-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Fabulous Mary!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I love it!

Fireman's kid
03-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Nice landscape Bon! Doesn't look quick or sketchy to me. And don't worry about being "late" - you're not the only one. :D

I wanted to work on this more today, but ended up doing some watercolor stuff instead. So I thought I would post what I have. I did a first pass on the tricycle, but obviously haven't done much of anything on the background. Plan to do the background in charcoal and then see how the lights and darks look on the bike.

Here is the reference and the drawing. C&C welcome!

SILKNSATIN
03-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Wow I just looked back at all the artwork and I see many of you have a nice touch when it comes to this kind of art.Bravo :clap: :clap:
Gee i didn't even put a snake hidding in me lil weeds :D

jmfletch
03-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Well, I'm a little late and apparently didn't understand the instructions. I did the attached drawing plein air but it is not a still life. It is what remains of a towering pine loaded with Spanish moss after Charlie work it over.

Off to the figure lessons...

Joe

JayD
03-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Hey, Jim--OH well, it's still one hell of a tree and we have kudzu up here everywhere--I think spanish moss takes over the same way. I like the angle and the, as Gordan Lighfoot says, the :music: Spanish Moss..A Hangin' Down. :music:

Good job and I will count it just fine--next time if in doubt--just hang a bucket on it! :D

sultry
03-13-2005, 05:27 PM
I agree Joe, nice tree :)

StancyMcKatt
06-23-2005, 06:25 PM
I scanned this back last week and forgot to post it. Oh well, better to spred things out a bit anyway. ;)

This is a sketch of some flowers next to my basketball goal (its hung on an old light pole that dad got). I had to edit out some of the flowers or it would have turned into such a mess! :eek: LOL

What do ya'll think?

Judi1957
06-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Hi Crys!
Long time no see-how is school going?

Nice drawing. :) I really like the composition. :clap: :clap:
The only thing I would suggest is you develop the wood a bit more.

StancyMcKatt
06-24-2005, 05:44 PM
... I got lazy on the wood details, that was like the last thing I did. >_< Oh well, I'll have to remember that for next time.

Schools going awsome. Today was awards day, and last day for this quarter. So that means a week, and 2 days off :clap:. I also have my first certificate level complete. PC Operator. And I'm Halfway to my next one. :clap: *please pardon me for tooting my own horn there a bit* :o

dragonfruit
06-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Hi - :wave:

Here is my outdoor still life.
Mmm..not so sure about this one.

:)
Ren

sultry
06-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Ren I love this, its beautiful. :) I think to make the bg look more 3d you need more tones there. you have it all one tone value. It needs to be contoured shaded in different tones to show depth.
Do me a favor, print this out on copy paper. Add dark spots in the brush & tree here and there and see if it gives you a sense of depth. Then start adding the dark spots around the flowers too.
You did this from life? Or did you take a photo?
If from life, go back outside and squint your eyes to see the dark values in the bg.
I really like this Ren. :)

dragonfruit
06-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks Sults
You're exactly right about what was bothering me! The background isn't convincing.
That's probably because I made it up.
What I did was take a picture of a bench I really liked (my neighbour's), then put a hat and book on another chair and took a picture of that. Tricky when you don't actually have either the real thing or a photo of the real thing!
I'll experiment with a copy as you suggested and see what happens.
(By the way I have peeked ahead at the fantasy class, and absolutely love the drawing you posted - such a high standard in that class!)

Ren

sultry
06-26-2005, 10:29 PM
GF you better peek in Fantasy Sci fi fora your a wonderful artist & I expect you to post some fun things there. I never knew how much fantasy is to draw till you let yourself go and just use your imagination.
I am hoping you will come and play the games in Fantasy too.
Can't wait to see what you make for our Fantasy class.
I love this pic and if you took it from a photo & imagination, you sure did a beaut of a job.

dragonfruit
06-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Okay Sults, I've done some more to this one...

I'm going to try to get another post in before the weekend (maybe my fantasy one). After that I'm away on holiday for 2 weeks, so won't be around. (That is, unless I can't keep myself away from an Internet source and some paper and pencils) :D

Ren

Judi1957
06-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Hi Ren,
Looking very nice! :clap:
Can you add some more darks though to make it pop?

Where ever you are going on holiday-I hope you have a great time! :)

sultry
06-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Hiyas Ren I am sorry for not replying (oops Judi even reminded me yesterday) between watching the Fantasy fora & doing work & chores, I really did forget). So Sorry.

I was going to show you a demo (I took your pic & added darks in Microsoft Paint) I hope you do not mind. It is not perfect strokes but I did this to show you the different values that you could add to it by taking your softest Darkest B pencil cross hatch 4 layers with a pressure & lift stroke. In these areas:
*shade under the hat
* in the crevices of the bench;
*little areas in the back ground.

See if the computerized edited pic I did can help you to see what Judi & I mean about adding more darks.

We both think your an exceptional artist by the way. :cat:

Africanart
12-28-2005, 11:37 PM

Ok so finally I am finished with this one, took me like forever to do it, it just felt like time got away from me. As I was not going to sit outside in the snow to do this one. I thought I would do this photo of two cranes handcrafted by a Zimbabwe artist in steel. These two birds are in my Dad and Stepmom's garden at their Tourist Camp in Botswana (Africa).

Here goes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2005/69011-cranes.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2005/69011-lesson13.jpg

Judi1957
12-29-2005, 10:27 AM
I can see you put time into this Mary-I think it looks really great!:clap:
Will you be adding a background of some sort?

JayD
12-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Ren, I was admireing your hat and your bench-nice work--go back to your reference photo and see if you can define where your darkest darks occur and try to match those first, then define the brightest highlights and then try to define your midtones. You should try for somewhere, counting the lights and the darks at least five tones. Also dont forget to restate major lines so that they dont get sucked into your background. Keep going with this--it is very nice, you know.

Hi--crystal--you know that would make a very nice design motif.

Mary, I like very much--are you going to do something with the background--I personally like NO background but this is a matter of personal preferences.

Hi Sults!!!!! I wub ya and I miss ya!!

Africanart
12-29-2005, 04:13 PM
:wave: Hiyas Peoples

JayDeeeee!!!!!!!where have you been, have not heard from you since...damn it was so long ago I can't even remember which class it was last. Missed your C&C. Don't get me wrong loved Judi's company...but hey face it the more the merrier (sp):D

Thanks so much for your lookings, you know since I started with this one I have been toying with background to be or not to be...

Still don't know...maybe I will leave it for now, just because it felt like forever dealing with it. Personally some things I like with and some I don't like with.

Anyway of to figures...by the way can I go to the reference library to get some pick's don't exactly have somebody to pose for me :rolleyes: don't know anybody who would want to pose for me...except maybe my husband but that is a whole other matter.

Thanks

Mary

svoby
07-12-2008, 07:12 AM
here is my ref pic taken by me , its of my gardening spade,a pot filled with potting mix and they are leaning against the wheelburrow....and then my initial sketch
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2008/129187-2008_07120012.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2008/129187-shovelpot.jpg hope this is ok.......let me know if i have got anything out of whack...i might make the base of the pot a little deeper

Nansketch
08-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Here is my exercise for the outdoor still life -- quite a bit more complex than I envisioned when I started it. My plan was to concentrate on the table, tomatoes, lantern and flower pots. The shadows seemed very striking, so before long I was including almost the entire shot. Look forward to your suggestions and critique. If I had more time, I might work on it a bit more -- but I will be traveling for a few days. Also, I need a break from it --

Also, not sure what to do in the bright foreground - I did not fill in at all but, just not sure.
Many thanks for C&C.
Best to all
Nancy

The picture seems a lot lighter than reality -- could be the light.
About 10x8 in, light cream color strathmore drawing paper, 2B, 4B - started with mechanical but finished with my favorite 2B & 4B pencils.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2008/141858-stilllife_002.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2008/141858-stilllife_004.jpg

*Deirdre*
08-09-2008, 04:43 AM
Hi Lindee love the subject...and the initial sketch...sorry I nearly missed it!

Nancy...love yours too! :thumbsup: I think you would make i really pop if you darkened the areas shown!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2008/33616-nans.gif

svoby
08-09-2008, 04:46 AM
nansketch well done i really like the table
mine isnt as complex as yours.....i took a bit of artistic license and made the background different as we are in a drought here and wanted to make it barren like my garden lol....anyway here it is 2h,f,h, conte sepia pencil and a little bit of willow charcoal....all c&c welcome
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2008/129187-outdoor.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#):wave:

*Deirdre*
08-09-2008, 04:57 AM
Hi Lindee...very good..but you know what I'm gonna say?:evil: :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2008/33616-lindee.gif

svoby
08-09-2008, 05:14 AM
oooops lol ohhhh was hoping you wouldnt notice lol i know i know geee i love perspective not.......i'll be back Deidre

Nansketch
08-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Deidre,

Thanks so much for taking a look. I know I need to push those darks and will concentrate on the areas you marked. I'm still a bit surprised I was able to define the different areas

Lindee, Your drawing turned out great -- I like your color. Gardening tools make a great subject.

Best to all.
Nancy

svoby
08-10-2008, 06:23 PM
hi everyone Nancy thanx for the complement...hope you darken yours a bit in the spots Deidre suggested it will make a big difference,........Deidre i have fixed the outside rim of the pot but as for the perspective ....well i'm going to do a different one now i've had enough of this one
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2008/129187-pot.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)
maybe something with a tree:rolleyes: i'll be back

EdieB
08-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Hi everyone, I've been on the run for the last several weeks and I'm just catching up. I didn't scan my :o beginning drawing. I need to do another drawing but here is one I've been working and the more I try to fix it :eek: the worst it gets.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=404306&stc=1&d=1218756585

Have a great day

EdieB
08-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Here is the original picture taken three weeks ago.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=404309&stc=1&d=1218756907

*Deirdre*
11-20-2008, 04:26 AM
Another one I missed!! So Sorry Edie! This is very good too....the only thing that's not so good is you chose to put a line around the cat's white fur instead of shading the floor and making it a negative shape with no lines! Overall though it's excellent.:thumbsup: ..on to the next one!

Alison2
02-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi everyone,

This is one class I've been part looking forward to, (always wanting to do our garden) and part dreading. (Fear).

Anway, I've finally done it. Started from life, ended with a pic when it was taking so long and the seasons were affecting the plants :eek:

Alison:wave:

*Deirdre*
02-27-2009, 03:59 PM
And a very good job you did too Alison!! Well done...and on to your next class!:D

Alison2
03-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks Deidre!

I'll see you over there!

Alison:wave:

m50paul
04-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Found a barbecue pit in the woods:

arnoud3272
04-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Paul -
This is looking very good :clap:.
A remark in general: look out for "construction lines" or preliminary outlines still showing in the finished drawing.
These clean lines are completely in contradiction with the texture of coarse stone:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2010/142886-paul-corr.jpg

What struck me in particular is that in some places these lines are white. That means that the paper was indented. Doing it with a blunt metal point is a known technique for e.g. whiskers (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=538556).
So I assume that you made your line drawing with a hard pencil -- and bore down on it :evil:. Hard pencils are indeed advised in some tutorials, but don't use them heavy handed. But the only reason I can see is that they stay sharp longer - and a sharp point is what you need for your line drawing. Nowadays, you can use a .5 mm mechanical pencil with a soft lead in it. It stays sharp and -- still with only a light pressure -- you produce lines that can be erased without leaving any trace.
You may move on to a next class :thumbsup:.

m50paul
04-26-2010, 06:29 AM
Arnoud,

Thanks for the time..... I used a 2h pencil to do the initial line drawing and although I didnt think I used much pressure obviously used more than I should have....

newkidontheblock
01-16-2011, 01:29 AM
Hi Arnoud.
I went outside to our vegie patch and moved the watering can and a terracotta pot beside a zucchini plant to sketch. Sat out in the sunshine(Yay !!) for a little plein air work, before taking a photo and then came inside to finish it whilst using the photo as reference. Thanks, Lynhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2011/500681-13_outdoor_still_life_in_garden.jpg

arnoud3272
01-16-2011, 05:22 AM
Lyn -
Very good shapes, and nice rendering :clap:.
I see one issue, that is on the "atmosphere". I see no suggestion of sun, rather of fog :D.
Now it could be that your drawing has better contrast IRL. But we have only your scan/photo to judge. It is not difficult to correct the digital copy, see here (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572823). You even don't need expensive software, see this list of free programs (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203090).
You could get this; but I'd think even more (selective) contrast would be better.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2011/142886-lyn_outdoor_still_life-corr.jpg

newkidontheblock
01-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Hi Arnoud
Tried to do some touching up after considering your comment, which again, I thank you for. The sun was actually high up in the sky so shadows were short. Anyhow I have darkened a few areas. Is this better? Thanks, Lynhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2011/500681-13_outdoor_still_life=version2.jpg

arnoud3272
01-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Lyn -
Yes, that gives a much better impression :clap:.
So it's your choice to move on, or to stay a bit longer :thumbsup:.

newkidontheblock
01-18-2011, 04:36 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2011/500681-13_outdoor_still_life-planter.jpg
Hi Arnoud. I had another go at something in my backyard, but not happy with it, although that could be because I totally lost interest in it. This pumpkin seeder was quite intricate but mostly covered in grasses. I think I will leave it as is and move on.
Lyn

arnoud3272
01-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Lyn -
I think I will leave it as is and move on. Sometimes an artist has to know when to stop, some "unfinished" details can be very charming :). I think you did very well, it has a nice atmosphere. And the shapes (ellipses and so) are very carefully drawn :clap:.

newkidontheblock
01-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks Arnoud. You are too kind.

mij
10-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Can this exercise be completed in coloured pencils please?
jim

arnoud3272
10-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Can this exercise be completed in coloured pencils please?
jim Yes, that is fine, go ahead :thumbsup:.

mij
10-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Here is my outdoor still life - and I really drew this in the dark (liar liar pants on fire!)
I took three photo's of gardening stuff - that made me quite tired so I waited for the grandchildren to come and cut some pumkins out.
This image is a composite of two photo's
Derwent pencils, Colourfix navy paper masked off to 8" by 6.5'ish"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2011/69634-pumkins_on_table_scnned_in.jpg

arnoud3272
10-26-2011, 04:54 PM
James, excellent work :clap:. Nice contrast, good set-up. A nice evocation of this time of the year's mood.
You may be proud of it :clap:.

mij
10-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks Arnoud.
cheers
jim

Felisa
03-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Here is my outdoor still life. Thank you for your comments. If it is ok I skip classes 14 and 15 and go to no. 16. Thank you.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2012/122109-stil.jpg

arnoud3272
03-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Elisa - Very well done :clap:. I like your concept, and how you used defined and soft edges to emphasize the diagonal.
Sure, you may jump around the classroom as you like :thumbsup:.

mayana
04-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Hello Arnoud,
I found this statue in my garden, I took several photos then I choose this pose. I use pencil and charcoal stick, thanks for critics!:heart:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2012/164039-outdoor_stilllife.jpg

arnoud3272
04-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Well done, Maya :clap:.
I'd suggest two points to remember for future work:
- the eye is too large -- a very very common error :)
- pay attention to the "shading formula": there is a light "half" and there is the shadow "half". And true, most of the time the darkest ribbon occurs on the boundary between the two. But the shadow part is still shadow, darker than the light. In your drawing the back of the statue is as light as the front, but clearly it belongs to the shadow part.
I like how you rendered the details of the sculptural texture :clap:.

mayana
04-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Hello Arnoud,
Yes the eye :crying: and the back part is in shadow:evil:
Know you are a sculptor, I am going to draw another statue, see what it will turn out!!!Thaaaaaanks:wave:

mayana
04-18-2012, 06:57 AM
Hello Arnoud,
Here is my other statue, I think I lost the various shadows...but I like the composition what do you think???

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2012/164039-poolstatuexxxx.jpg

arnoud3272
04-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Nicely done, Maya, good job, congratulations :clap:.

Panth
08-05-2012, 03:24 AM
Hi Arnoud, catching up with my drawing lessons after a gap. I drew these pots that were getting ready for small plants in my yard, as monsoon has started here. Only problem was I could not get the bricks on the right side wall in proper perspective, could not identify the vanishing point!!! .:crying: So I rubbed it all off, and need you help here:o Thanks in advance, Prabha

arnoud3272
08-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Prabha - Good job, interesting composition and nice shading :clap:.
could not identify the vanishing point To identify the vanishing point, you only need the horizon line and one fixed line, in this case, obviously, the bottom corner. If you draw from life, you know where your eye level is when drawing. Besides, there is a simple trick, which also applies when working from a photo: on the horizon line, the mortar lines of the two walls lie in a straight line across the corner :).
I have neither possibility, so I worked as an illustrator would do, drawing from imagination: I put a grid on a separate layer and moved it around a bit until I was pleased by the result.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2012/142886-prabha-outdoor-A.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2012/142886-prabha-outdoor-B.jpg

As I drew from imagination, your version could be very different :thumbsup:.

Panth
08-07-2012, 01:21 AM
Thank you so much Arnoud, that was very helpful, and it is so nice of you to take so much trouble to clear my doubts. Any lines I drew seemed to make the wall wobbly, as if it will fall down anytime! I will try this technique and draw the bricks on the right hand side wall as you suggest. :wave: Bye, Prabha

Magdalena Ladwik
10-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Hello, I decided to draw an old bicycle as an assignment of class 13. Someone left it years ago on the garden and now bicycle is covered with plants. This is the outline
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/../Community/images/15-Oct-2012/952977-outline_mini.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/../Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

the round-like shape on the right is a gas tank.
Please take a look at my outline.
Thank You
Magdalena

arnoud3272
10-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Looks good, Magdalena :clap:. I like your choice of subject :thumbsup:.

Magdalena Ladwik
10-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Hello, I just wanted to share my WIP bicycle. I have been working on wooden fence and a bit on tyre.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/../Community/images/19-Oct-2012/952977-first_stage.JPG (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/../Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)

Thank You for looking
Magdalena :wave:

arnoud3272
10-19-2012, 04:00 PM
:thumbsup:

Magdalena Ladwik
10-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Hello, I wanted to share my next stage of bicycle. It looks like there is no progress, but believe me..I spent really "good few hours" since last stage. I didn't expect that this drawing might be so much time consuming! Of course I enjoy process and look forward to learn with Wetcanvas classrom :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/../Community/images/29-Oct-2012/952977-second_stage.JPG (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/../Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)
I would be appreciated I You might take a look at this.
Thank You
Magdalena

arnoud3272
10-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Nice work, Magdalena.
You capture the texture and mood very well :clap:.

lajale
11-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Hi Arnoud,

I´m still working on my first swab piece for class 12, but want to try something else in between. So I tried an outdoor still life from a photo. I took this picture on a trip to the Kruger National Park in South Africa in 2008. This car was standing in an old gold-diggers town, called Pilgrims Rest (maybe it is still there). I used a brown paper (usually for wrapping parcels) because I thought it would go with the rust, but I´m not really happy and will try another still life soon.:wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2012/1049812-car_1.jpg

arnoud3272
11-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Nice sketch, Chris :clap:. Love the humor :lol:.

Magdalena Ladwik
11-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Hello Arnoud, I finished my outdoor still life assignment and I'd be very happy to share it with You :) :crossfingers:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/../Community/images/20-Nov-2012/952977-EPSON071_copy.JPG (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/../Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)
Thank You for review
Magdalena

arnoud3272
11-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Beautiful work, Magdalena :clap::clap:.
This is one to frame.

Magdalena Ladwik
11-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Thank You Arnoud!! It really motivates me to learn more and do other drawings :D
I have already started to do class 9 book report/assignment, can I move on?

arnoud3272
11-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Magdalena, sure, by all means, please move on :thumbsup:.

lajale
12-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi arnoud,

I started working two month ago but still try to do some drawing. Here is another outdoor still life, but from a photo I took on a holiday at the gardenroute in South Africa.

I used a 4b Sketching Pencil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2012/1049812-Gardenroute_Sketch.JPG

arnoud3272
12-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Nice sketch, Chris :clap:. Loose but accurate where important :thumbsup:.

bigskycountry
09-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Hi, I've chosen the Outdoor Still Life for my next class. This morning I went on a "treasure hunt" with a #2 pencil and my little sketchbook to choose something on my place to draw. I did a quick field sketch of this old gate from my vehicle as fire ants in the area mean it's not smart to stand in one place for more than a fraction of a second:lol: . I started on the posts on the right and realized I didn't have enough room to expand far enough for the length of the gate (and didn't have time to start over) -- so made notes to myself regarding proportion and lighting. Next time, I might think to take an eraser :rolleyes: . Lee

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2013/1055472-FieldSketchWCdrawC101_13.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2013/1055472-photo4WCdrawingC101_13.jpg