PDA

View Full Version : Lino illustration

Ari Sutton
02-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Hi everyone,

I had an illustration assignment that I would like to share with you. I was given three newpaper editorial columns and had to choose one to illustrate. I chose an article written about the problems that the national DNC are having at this time. The piece featured the fact that after painting Howard Dean to the far left of the party, the DNC is trying now to paint him as a centrist figure and named him chairman.

The image I created was a linocut of Howard Dean with a target being painted around him by a donkey. Let me know what you think. If anyone is interested, I have, as part of the assignment, pasted the image into the article. I can also post it or attach it for you to look at.

Ari

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2005/29596-pcdean.jpg

Printmakerguy
02-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Great print,Ari! Really gets the idea across... Definatly appropriate to the article's subject. Is this actually going to be published, or is it just an assignment??

-Andrew

Ari Sutton
02-20-2005, 08:50 PM
just an assignment. It would be cool though :wink2:

How did I do with the linoleum? It was the first time I used it except to demonstrate the relief printing process to a small group of kids.

I have attached an acrobat file of the article with the picture posted in it.

Printmakerguy
02-20-2005, 09:56 PM
How did I do with the linoleum?

Looks great to me! You seem to have maintained your woodcut style, which is a good thing. Do you like working with the linoleum better? I find it SO much easier to work with :clap:

-Andrew

H2O_Baby
02-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Ari, good image - I found it quite amusing! Dean might need a label tho, he is not the most recognizable guy (at least to me). Oh, I didn't mean that your rendition was lacking. My recognition system is what isn't the best.

Ari Sutton
02-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Andrew,

It was nice to work with, but I am just addicted to the woodgrain and the smell of the wood when I cut it. I did put a bid on some linoleum blocks I saw on ebay tonight though. I'll definitely do some more.

H2O, I agree that Dean is hard to recognize, especially in the size of the image. However, the article makes it clear. The image is meant to draw someone into the article.

By the way, it is my first print with my new press.

Ari

Diane Cutter
02-21-2005, 06:27 AM
I love the donkey, Ari... I can see it now, Ari as an illustrator for the New Yorker!

I like the bits of uncut lino that give the cut some texture. I think I would crop a little off the top (nice thing about lino pieces) because I don't think it does anything for your image. What size is this?

I assume you're getting an "A" for this!?!

Diane

Ari Sutton
02-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Hi Diane,

The print is 9 x 12 on Rives Bvk paper using speedball oil based black ink. I haven't handed it in yet, so the grade remains to be seen.

Ari

Sunfilly
02-21-2005, 04:38 PM
Great picture Ari,
Concerning the article do you have to do three columns, I think three columns is a bit much, breaks the story up to much makes it harder to read.

Ari Sutton
02-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Deborah,

Good point. The article was from the Boston Globe, which prints its paper using many columns per page. I know the 8 1/2 inch format I am using is different than the paper, but I wanted to approach the article as if it were in a large paper. More than 3 columns would be too hard to work with, so I settled on 3 columns. Remember, the assignment is basically about appearance. The text is there to compliment the illustration as if I were designing it for a paper, but my teacher isn't actually going to read the article (he's already read it). He just wants to see how the illustration appears with the text.

Ari

CBHutch
02-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Ari,
For an edition, I love the uncut lino in the background. And I agree with Diane that I would like to see the upper part cropped (for an edition). However, your article has a real nice clean look to it and I think the print would better complement the article with the background cleaned up or with a border added around the print using your processing program. Just a thought.

It's a wonderful print!

Cheryl

Ari Sutton
02-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks Cheryl.

Sunfilly
02-22-2005, 12:11 AM
Deborah,

Good point. The article was from the Boston Globe, which prints its paper using many columns per page. I know the 8 1/2 inch format I am using is different than the paper, but I wanted to approach the article as if it were in a large paper. More than 3 columns would be too hard to work with, so I settled on 3 columns. Remember, the assignment is basically about appearance. The text is there to compliment the illustration as if I were designing it for a paper, but my teacher isn't actually going to read the article (he's already read it). He just wants to see how the illustration appears with the text.

Ari

Oh so you have to use at least three? It is such a long article for that format. I would play around with different formats try the picture at the top of the article too. It would look nice if the text was wrapped around the picture. But if they have a standard format you need to abide by it is hard. You may have to make the picture a bit smaller. Sorry I have taken many classes on layout, I just had to make some comments. The text is broken up too much in the columns try to keep sentances together, are you using quark to do your layout?

Ari Sutton
02-22-2005, 06:59 AM
Deborah,

If the text were a concern, I would use kerning to fix it. However, the layout is only visually important. No one is going to read the text in this case. I only posted it here so people understand the illustration. I used MS publisher for the layout.

I did try to place the illustration in different places and decided that I liked the way it broke out of the three column format by extending past the right edge of the text and below the columns. I wanted to have the text wrap to the edge of the target and the donkey, but no matter how I cropped it, it seemed to post as a rectangle.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ari