PDA

View Full Version : new monotype

Gisela
12-06-2001, 04:06 PM
Since I bugged Scott for this forum, I guess I should get things rolling here! :D

When I started learning about printmaking, the idea of doing a monotype seemed kind of silly. I mean, why not just paint the thing on the paper in the first place, right? Wow, was I surprised! The look and texture on the print is nothing like what you get when painting directly. I'm so hooked on this! Printmaking is like the door opened on a whole new world -- so much to learn! :clap:

Here's a monotype I did while WC was down. I did one like this the other day on gray-tinted washi paper. This one is is the same scene done on black Rives paper to give it a night time look.
7 x 10, using monotype inks.

Gisela

Amorphis
12-06-2001, 05:13 PM
Horay, a printmaking forum!

I agree, I didn't really appreciate printmaking until I tried it. I've just taken one first-year printmaking "introductory" course but I really enjoyed it. I'm glad there's finally a forum for this medium!

:)

dnip24
12-06-2001, 05:34 PM
interesting picture

sue ellen
12-06-2001, 07:18 PM
Love the print! it reminds me of lithograph. i really like the emotion of this piece. I am going to have to dig out some old prints and post them !~

~sue ellen

Leaflin
12-06-2001, 07:40 PM
What a great piece for the first post in this forum :)

I took two semesters of printmaking in college (back in the stoneage)

I have forgotten so much, but I do remember what fun it was.
Think I will sit back and relearn.

If you keep the laughter to a dull roar I'll go dig some up :D

sassybird
12-07-2001, 02:00 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, this is a nice enhancement of the image I saw in the alternative forum. Gisela, I do believe you have bug :D I want to see more!!!!!!

This night theme is really great for this kind of image. Rives is also a wonderful printmaking paper. I have used it for several years now for my prints. Stonehenge is another good paper for many printmaking techniques.

The wooden boards on this bridge really stand out against the black. They look weathered and almost appear to glow in moonlight. You got some great depth in the image also. I'm so glad you are having fun!

ZOTMA
12-07-2001, 08:03 PM
you did get a great texture going
both with the inks
and with your lines
the directions and variations causing several different levels of play for the eye
dark impending mood for that trail with boney trees as ushers
thanks for illuminating your experience with monotype
I've only dabbled but I'm inspired to try more
...and on different colors of paper too
this forum is like a rocket under my butt to get printing

Gisela
12-07-2001, 09:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments! :)

I can't even put into words how exciting this medium is for me. The possibilities are just endless!

I can't wait to see what everyone else is doing. Amorphis, Sue Ellen, Leaflin, Colorme, Zotma -- show us your stuff!! :)

Gisela

sassybird
12-08-2001, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Gisela
I can't even put into words how exciting this medium is for me. The possibilities are just endless!

I can't wait to see what everyone else is doing. Amorphis, Sue Ellen, Leaflin, Colorme, Zotma -- show us your stuff!! :)

Gisela [/B]

Keep reaching for those endless horizons, Gisela. The more you do the more you are going to find newer and newer possibilities with this medium.

I also can hardly wait to see what everyone has to show:D We need to pull Darrell Duchene over here to show his stuff too. He tells me his press sits collecting dust in his basement, but I am sure he has some older stuff to show, and maybe we can inspire him to start working in this medium again.

Gisela
12-09-2001, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by sassybird

We need to pull Darrell Duchene over here to show his stuff too. He tells me his press sits collecting dust in his basement, but I am sure he has some older stuff to show, and maybe we can inspire him to start working in this medium again.

It's such an exciting way to work - I'm becomming obsessed! :eek:

I'd like to see Darrell's work too!

Gisela

bikevstar
01-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I think that print is amazing! Really nice work. I just did an abstract monotype the other day for the first time. It's really fun isn't it?

Kelly

coolartsybabe
01-11-2003, 06:08 PM
You may have answered one of my questions. Why do a monoprint? If you are only pulling one print what's the point?
I'm used to the idea of printmaking is to have a several prints of the same image.

I may have to try it one of these days. Each time I go to the art supply store I always look at the monoprint supplies and wonder, "hmmmm, what's this about?"

When I was a teenie bopper I used to smear leftover paint around on an empty pallet, press some canvas paper on top of it, and got some neat images. I should revisit that part of my life now that I know this is a real technique with its own name and its own set of supplies!

bikevstar
01-11-2003, 07:11 PM
What's the point with monotype? Well, it's a one shot deal. What you get is a unique print. Now, you can take other prints from the same plate or support but it's called a ghost print. That's the beauty of monotypes, you'll never get the exact same print twice. No mass production with this medium. What you said about pressing canvas to the plate or support is exactly what it's all about. It's really exciting to do. I did one the other night and I can see a small bat (the ones that are supposed to fly) in the center. You can get a piece of plexi as your support. Tape it down. If you want you can tuck a drawing underneath it and paint on the plexi. Get your paper and place it on the plexi and hand rub it. What you'll get will be very exciting. Or you can tape the plexi down, roll various inks on it and place your paper on top. Then you could put a drawing on top of the paper and trace it with a blunt edge, like the end of a paintbrush. Lift the paper up and you'll have a multi-colored line drawing. You should invest in Julia Ayres "Monotype" book. Everything you need to get into it. I read it from cover to cover. I'm so excited to start. I think I'll be up all night tonight working on monotypes!:clap:
Kelly