PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Brayer, Feb 19th-26th

Printmakerguy
02-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Today was a somewhat exciting day...

The Dunedin Fine art center had it's annual rummage sale, where you can get great deals on 'unwanted' extra art supplies. I picked up the leftover 'end' of a roll of BFK Rives 300 GSM, 42" wide, by roughly 90 feet long (Probably a bit more, this is a rough estimate based on the 38" circumference of the beast!), for an incredible $7.00. Yes, I said $7. The cheapest that I have ever bought this mail order is like $2.00 for a 22 x 30.. I like using it a lot, and it looks like I have a LOT to use now!

Also got the 'leftover' end of a 61" wide roll of Arches CP watercolor paper, about 20 feet worth, for $2.00... I think I can deal with the slight yellowing on the one edge at that price :)

While there, I spoke to some of the staff. One woman there was familiar with my artwork, in fact I had sent her a christmas card this year. They asked me to donate a peice for their upcoming silent auction, which shocked me. My first question was "do you really think that someone would PAY for one of my linocuts?"- Which was answered with laughter... I guess I am still very unsure of myself. Well, to make a long story short, I committed to it, and there is no turning back. It will be the first public showing of my work. I just hope it sells!

Also, I found out that there is a printmaking workshop there every week, with local professional and 'serious amateur' printmakers. It is run by a very experienced printmaker, who's work I really admire. They asked me to start attending, Again, another shock... The funny thing is this facility is only about 15 mins from where I live, and will give me access to full printmaking facilities, including a 48" wide press... Should be fun.

I thought I would also post a current pic of my Studio, now that MOST of the furniture is in place, and things are 'up and running'. As you can see, quite a mess-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2005/36273-studio.jpg
That big monstrosity in the middle of the picture is my new roll of BFK- I think I need a rack for rolls of paper now...

Geez, I think I just wrote a novel... Sorry, I am rambling on... :wink2:

-Andrew

DLevy
02-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi,
Andrew, great to hear that you've found admirers and committed to this auction :clap: . The first time I was to display my work (photographs) got me working very hard. It was a great incentive to try and improve the quality of my work. I was intimidated at first but in the end I was very happy I did it.
I was going to take the invitation to join the weekly brayer last week but didn't make it. I'm studying physics and had a big exam last week :(. Now that I'm finished with that I'm supposed to go back to my research but I've decided to take a "day off" for some fun. So, tomorrow I'm going to see this printing workshop that has an exhibition of prints which I wanted to see for some time and then I'm going to a couple of art stores to get some oil based ink and decent paper for printing .
This should be a good week :D
Danny

cityscape painter
02-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Andrew,
It sounds like you are enjoying the flow of the universe right now. How cool, enjoy it and have a blast making art.
I am new to WC and am having fun checking it out. I am going to try to post some prints that I have been working on. They may be too large of files, we'll see.(I had to reduce them)

jimread
02-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Fair play our Andrew, go for it, there's nothing to beat the thrill of seeing your work hung and waiting for a buyer, Good Luck.

I love nudes and those of yours CP are great, lovely and free.

I bought a book of etchings from the 14th C to the early 20th C, belonged to Cheltenham College of art, really great to see the work of others close up, can see how they did it, well mostly.

Jim

Diane Cutter
02-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Good going, Andrew... I'm not surprised about the silent auction request. You are developing a name for yourself... Wonderful!

Hi, 'CP' and welcome to WetCanvas. Beautiful work. Feel free to post your work in a new thread any time so it doesn't get lost in a 'chit-chat' thread like the Weekly Brayer. If you use the Uploader instead of the attachments, we can get a bigger view of your work. You will find it on the bar up above where it reads "Quick Links"... Just scroll down to Image Uploader and follow the instructions... And I'm going to put the 'butt' icon on this thread, since we have your beautiful nudes here. (I think this is a first for the "butt" on the Weekly Brayer! Shaking things up a little here!)...

Again, you are most welcome here... make yourself at home...

Diane

CBHutch
02-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Andrew--How exciting!! Although I don't think any of us here are surprised with the positive reception you received--you're doing some neat work! I'm real envious of the local rummage sale (we don't even have a decent art store here). Cool deals!

C.P.--Beautiful prints!

Cheryl

Printmakerguy
02-19-2005, 08:03 PM
C.P.-

GREAT work. Like diane said, PLEASE post them in thier own thread, so more can enjoy them!

-ANdrew

cityscape painter
02-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the positivie feedback. I did repost the prints on their own thread. I was going to remove them from here, but it has been over 60 min. so I am unable to.
Andrew You should have a blast working in the printmaking studio.
I will look forward to seeing some of your work.

lokates
02-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Andrew,
Congratulations on your great bargains, auction invitation, and newfound workshop! Like the others have said, I am not suprised at all about the positive feeback you've been getting. You do good work!

Sunfilly
02-21-2005, 02:46 PM
:clap: congradulations Andrew,
On the paper and the auction. You know, you really should try to sell your prints they are very good. The workshop sounds exciting, but oh no, now you will try etching and get addicted to that too, as if you don't have too much to do already. LOL!!!