PDA

View Full Version : Project Discussion: Miniaturize a Full Size

Artguy29
02-18-2005, 09:33 AM
A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: Miniaturize a Full Size
Project Leader: Artguy29
Relative Difficulty: Medium
Type Restrictions: Any Type
Medium: Any Medium
Subject: Not Applicable
Days open for signups: Always
Maximum participants allowed: Unlimited

Description:

This is an exercise that will increase and enhance your understanding of a composistion. You will develop your compositional skills by taking a painting/drawing that you have completed and making a new version of it in a miniature size. You may make changes to the composistion to make it work in the miniature size. This will aid in your understanding of how size affects the composition and what works and what doesn't in a miniature painting/drawing.

Guidelines:

-The orginal painting/drawing should be at least 9"x12"
-The new miniature version should be under 16 sq. inches
-Please post the original painting/drawing along with the miniature.

Any medium and subject matter is acceptable!

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here! (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=834)

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get "pushed down" by a swarm of project-related threads.

Artguy29
02-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Announcing the first project in the Miniature Art forum!!! :wave:
If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

Have fun with your minis!

Dave

3chaway9
04-12-2005, 07:53 PM
:wave: Hi,
having trouble sizeing my images in the projects Final Image .....i tried to upload the two images... the miniature and then the original ..resized them separately... ok....and so went to upload in the project area...only one image went....so i reckon you have to put both images together...
but i just can't resize them in a way to be accepted...can you help?......
anyway these are my final images.....the first is the miniature of the..original .. the second is the original (it's got a flash from the glass frame)
the third is the miniature in a frame....i think i'll paint the mount in red to set it off... later... :confused:

champagneharley
04-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Ooooh very nice!
Regards,
Jillian

3chaway9
04-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi Jillian,
thanks ...i spent more time trying to resize this painting than it took to paint it........ :crying: OMG...i'm dying to get on with something else so if the powers that be can't help me with this....i'll just be leaving it as is...great to talk to you......... :)

champagneharley
04-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Hi Jillian,
thanks ...i spent more time trying to resize this painting than it took to paint it........ :crying: OMG...i'm dying to get on with something else so if the powers that be can't help me with this....i'll just be leaving it as is...great to talk to you......... :)
Yeah stuff like that can be a problem. You're always welcome to email me, and I'll resize for you. I've done it for other WC members before today! :)
Regards,
Jillian

3chaway9
04-12-2005, 09:42 PM
:clap: Thanks..i'll get back to you anon... it's just to late now for me...
1.47am...... thanks a bunch :)

champagneharley
04-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Well, I thought I had nothing to add to this, and I do. I have done one subject as a miniature (watercolour) approx 2x3".
Then did a detailed acrylic approx 14x11" - maybe a smaller canvas, I don't remember. It won a merit or honorable mention award.
Regards,
Jillian

3chaway9
04-13-2005, 11:53 AM
:wave: Hi Jillian,
I love this...very well done...I'm not very good with flowers although i'm always trying....do you use a magnifying glass to do miniatures?
:clap: :clap: :clap:

champagneharley
04-13-2005, 12:27 PM
I love this...very well done...I'm not very good with flowers although i'm always trying....do you use a magnifying glass to do miniatures?
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks Caroline. You did well. We are all always trying. 99.99% of the time I do not use a magnifier, I find it too much work and can't be bothered. If I were to enter a competition I am almost certain I would, as I wouldn't want anything to be less that 'perfect'. I think I can get reasonable results such as above, that is nicely viewed with the 'normal eye', and so that is mostly what I do. I put as much detail into my large watercolors, as I do these tiny ones for most of my work. For instance the details in my watercolor of mailbox and woman rodeo rider are just as detailed or even more so than with the 'mini'.
Regards,
Jillian

3chaway9
04-13-2005, 10:22 PM
:wave: Hello Jillian,
I had a peek at your web site.... :clap: :clap: :clap: oh! you are clever......not seen it all yet i'll save it for another time....(up late again)
This is an acrylic 2''x2'' got it sized ok... lol.....thanks for looking

champagneharley
04-13-2005, 11:26 PM
:wave: Hello Jillian,
I had a peek at your web site.... :clap: :clap: :clap: oh! you are clever......not seen it all yet i'll save it for another time....(up late again)
This is an acrylic 2''x2'' got it sized ok... lol.....thanks for looking
:) Thank you.
You did really well with this. I love your vibrant colors!
Regards,
Jillian

3chaway9
04-14-2005, 07:28 AM
thanks .....i meant to post this in a new thread...(still learning) lol...i'll new post it with another ......xxx

Grunge
10-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Better late than never, I always say! this looked like a really cool project so I signed up and have been racking my brains ever since...... so here is my contribution.

Original piece 16 x 20
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2005/60457-the_monster_in_my_room.jpg

close up of mini version: 3 x 5
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2005/60457-the_monster_in_my_room.mini.jpg

Sonia
10-26-2005, 04:21 PM
I don't know how I missed this project before - have entered it now.

bullyluvver
10-28-2005, 05:41 AM
Hi,
Not been around here for a while, but there are some great pictures in this thread. :clap:

Gail