PDA

View Full Version : Clay model for bust

max nelson
12-05-2001, 10:23 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2001/Sctsdle_Bust_3_4_C.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2001/Sctsdle_Bust_FV_C.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2001/Sctsdle_Bust_RV_C.jpg
Found some pics of the clay original for the Forton cast bust I posted earlier. The cast piece was a poor pic and perhaps this will give a better view of the process. This was about 85% completed here..just needed some finish work and to complete the neck and shoulders.
Max

max nelson
12-05-2001, 10:31 PM
Whoops..other pic didn't load. Here is front view.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2001/Sctsdle_Bust_FV_C.jpg

jhusel
12-05-2001, 10:42 PM
WOW!! That is looking great!! Good job.

:clap:

jason

wendee
12-06-2001, 05:45 AM
WOW...GOSH this is GREAT...:D

Yielding
12-06-2001, 07:31 AM
Very nice. Nice pic too. I really like the way you did the hair. LOL the nose looks like my sisiters.

diane555
12-06-2001, 08:21 AM
Max :clap:

These are sensational! Thank you for sharing them. Isn't it amazing how different a piece can look in clay than as a finished cast? Wow...it's very nice to see the other angles of her. I particularly like the way you handled the hair & lips. Thanks again for sharing.

Di :)

mebucko
12-06-2001, 10:54 AM
Yow! I love this too, and it is strange how it looks so different, but then again, the same.
This pic definitely shows the detail, I think you have a very good eye max, I really do! A very believable face too. Really nice work. Was this sold, or do you still have the finished piece?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2001/ranbucko-2.gif

sandge
12-06-2001, 01:53 PM
This is so good it really disturbs me the way her neck finishes! LOL

Great job! :D

max nelson
12-06-2001, 05:54 PM
Jason..thanks much for the clappie..incouragement something we all need.:)

Wendee..another thanks to our friend down under. We're still waiting on your update:D

Yielding...big laugh out of 'my sisters nose' She may not even be aware that it went AWOL:D

Di..you're right about how different these pieces can look finished vs. the clay. The clay seems to always photo best. Thanks for the good words.

Randy...you must be physic..'good eye' How did you know that I only have one good eye??:D The piece was not made to sell, just a workshop piece several years ago and only decided to cast it as another workshop experiment. Don't know what will be it's fate now.

Sandra..yes, that beheading was done by a new executioneer. He made a rather 'rough cut':D

Thanks again to all
Max

impetuous
12-06-2001, 10:35 PM
Oh WOW! these are fanatstic! I cant believe the difference in appearance between the clay and the finished bust.
It's lovely to have an all round view too.
Lots of questions...
How much preperation do you do? sketches etc.
Is it all solid clay, or do you bulk out the middle bit?
If solid clay, then do you build it up or carve it away?
How long did the clay part of the bust take to finish?
Does the clay then have to be fired?
Sorry for the twenty questions, it's just that these head busts fascinate me, suppose faces in general do to a certain extent, so being able to create something in this way would be awesome. Seeing this same piece in clay, seems to make it a more achievable aim for a complete beginner.
Lol, does all that make sense?:)

max nelson
12-07-2001, 12:33 AM
Imp..I didn't count 'em, but it was close to 20 questions.:D ..but happy to try to answer them for ya. But before I do, just want to comment on your acrylic "Passion" that I just viewed. To my eye it looks awesomely finished just as is. And that face must be your passion..why not try it in clay?
OK here goes:
1. This was a live model, so no prep nor sketches..just get started.
2. I start a head or any other form with a core to reduce clay needed and saves some time. Usually just a post with a wad of paper wrapped with tape and something around that to prevent the paper getting soggy. (plastic wrap etc) Another reason for this type of core is that there is no need to cut in half to hollow out if you fire. Just poke holes (like a pincushion) thru the whole sculpture to let any gases escape, then with just a little patching of the holes it is ready for the kiln.
3. Build or carve. Both. Afraid that the just carving bit, ala stone carving is not an ability I have.
4. Time. Can usually flesh out a bust such as this within 4-5 hours. Then it may take me weeks of looking, fiddling and finishing before its ready.
5. Fired or..? Often use wet clay (I perfer this since I work much looser) and fire it for a single edition piece. This one in plastilene, a non-hardning clay. If piece is detailed and requiring any length of time this is the method I use. (Carousel Horse and others that I will post soon)
Hope this answers some of your questions..will be glad to share any other info I have.
:) Max

impetuous
12-07-2001, 11:29 PM
Thank you SO much Max, these are great answers, and all in layman speak so that a total beginner can understand (you'd be amazed how many folks start reeling off technical jargon when asked a simple how/what/where/why question)
I have managed to source 2 nearby suppliers of clay, so I have no excuses (will probably wait until the new year though) I don't think it will be possible to do the Passion face, even if I could get some all view pictures I should imagine that it's not the same as modeling from life (that way you can peer around the sides etc.) I actually like the idea of doing a "lived in" face, something with lots of character ...but then your probably going to tell me that would be difficult.
Thanks again! :)

dnip24
12-08-2001, 12:11 AM
100 thumbs up, looks great

max nelson
12-08-2001, 02:58 PM
Imp...glad the answers were helpful, and I agree that layman's terms(actually the only ones I know) are much more usefull than a lot of esoteric and technical jargon. That's better language for the 'critics':D Glad to hear that you are going to play in the mud. Look forward to seeing your work. I'm sure with the eye for form that you have it will be an exciting adventure for you. The 'lived in face' is no harder than any others..with one caveat...pay attention to the overall structure before putting the 'lived in' part. I have one of those kind, so know much about:D :D
Max

dnip..'100 thumbs up' a guy can't ask for more than that..thanks a million:)
Max

MKathleen
12-20-2001, 01:56 PM
Max you are sooooooooooooo good! Beautiful face and lovely graceful neck!

Best,
Kathy

sandge
12-20-2001, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by MKathleen
Max you are sooooooooooooo good! Beautiful face and lovely graceful neck!

And the sculpture's not bad, either! ;)

max nelson
12-20-2001, 05:22 PM
MKathleen..you are so kind. Thanks very much.
:) Max

max nelson
12-20-2001, 05:24 PM
Sandra...shuuuuuh..don't want this getting around.:D
Max

jackddavis
12-21-2001, 11:44 AM
Very nice craftsmanship. Beautiful lady. Too bad she had to die like that. :evil: :evil: ;)

marilyn h
12-21-2001, 08:44 PM
I am impressed! Grand sculpture.