PDA

View Full Version : My Oil Colour Palette - Any sugestions please?

Luis Guerreiro
05-17-2001, 02:00 PM
Dear All,
Here is my usual palette. I wrote elsewhere that I use 12 tubes base palette (200 ml. tubes) and around 20 complement colours in 40 ml. tubes.
My 12 Base Palette:
Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Red, Perm. Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine, Cobalt Blue, Viridian, Sap Green, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber and Ivory Black.
The complement 20 colours:
Cerulean Blue, Paris Blue, Prussian Blue, Turquoise Blue, Cobalt Green, Chromium Green Oxide, Naples Yellow, Cadmium Orange, Raw Sienna, English Red, Purple, Venetian Red, Rose dore, Permanent Magenta, Mauve, Burnt Umber, Vandike Brown and Paynes Grey.
Rubbish? Yes? No? What would you do to improve it? Or shall I leave it as it is?
Thanks.
Luis

belladonna
05-17-2001, 02:25 PM
Do you use all those tubes for every picture???? I have about 5 blues, 5 yellows, five reds, 2 whites, and 3 browns in my drawer. I pick 5 from these (one from each catagory), to make my palet for each painting. I gave away all my secondary colors and blacks, mixing them from using the primaries. The first ones I dumped, were the ones that fade, yellow, or crack. So I know that the ones in the drawer are permanent and stand up will over time. I'm not saying that you should do the same, I'm just saying what I do http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif I picked up a good artist handbook that gave me info about the qualities and draw backs of the different colors. The only one I have missed so far is sap green ..... sigh .... I am managing with out it ok now http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by belladonna (edited May 17, 2001).]

Luis Guerreiro
05-18-2001, 01:03 PM
I don't use them all for one picture. But I have them at hand for whatever project that comes up.
In total of around 30 colours, of which I may use only a handful for a particular project, but look at it this way:
Suppose a project in low-key, grey tones...
Composite A: Venetian Red+White
Composite B: Alizarin+Naples Yellow
Composite C: Indian Red+White
Any of the above will produce completely different tones of grey when mixed with one of the following blues: Cerulean, cobalt, Ultramarine, Prussian, Paris and Turquoise.
A certain type of grey tones may be appropriate for a certain type of picture, but not for another one.

JeffG
05-18-2001, 01:28 PM
What subjects do you usually paint, Luis? Do you work in an alla prima style, or in a more layered, glazing approach?

That does seem like alot of blues, and I dont find paynes gray or van dyke brown too useful, but that's my preference. I'm in the midst of defining a core palette myself, which is vital for my outdoor sketching, but having an arsenal of "secondary" colors for touches in the studio is useful.

------------------
Jeff G.

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot." S. Wright

Luis Guerreiro
05-19-2001, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by JeffG:
What subjects do you usually paint, Luis? Do you work in an alla prima style, or in a more layered, glazing approach?

That does seem like alot of blues, and I dont find paynes gray or van dyke brown too useful, but that's my preference. I'm in the midst of defining a core palette myself, which is vital for my outdoor sketching, but having an arsenal of "secondary" colors for touches in the studio is useful.

Hi Jeff,
My usual subjects are urban/arquitectural landscape, landscape, seascape. I am catching up on still life. Never attempted portraiture but I'll have to mainly due to College practice. I always use a layer approach, basically because I need the sketch and underpaint to guide me. My first and so far last alla prima attempt did not prove effective.
I have a lot of blues, you're right. They help me in a lot of grey tones, when mixed with white and some shades of red. The final subtle differences between greys are given by the blue I use. What whites do you use?
I use zinc and titanium mainly, too scared of cremnitz (lead)!

bluochre
05-24-2001, 10:33 PM
i agree with previous posts about the blues....ultmarine and cerulean should be sufficient.....in the greens, viridian and cad green pale or perm green lt. should be sufficient.......lemon yellow and cad yellow med are fine.....cad scarlet a good addition....chinese red and cad red deep.....perm rose/perm magenta/aliz crimson important.....mauve is good.....yellow ochre....indian red....white. that's my palette for painting the impressionist landscape.

JeffG
05-24-2001, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by belladonna:
...Chromium Green Oxide, is NOT permanent. ...
My information is from an old artists handbook, (Ralph Mayer), so I may be out of date, but you asked.

Huh? Chromium Oxide Green (PG17) is absolutely permanent. In fact, that's what my 5th edition of Mayer says. I think maybe you looked up "Chrome Green", which is a different animal altogether.

I try to mix most of my greens (landscape guy here) but find ChrOx useful as a "base" green at times. And recently, from suggestions I received from others, find it to be very nice used as an monochrome underpainting in some instances (Mr. Verdaccio concurs, I believe)

------------------
Jeff G.

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot." S. Wright

belladonna
05-25-2001, 12:02 AM
I would replace or loose the following colors:
Sap Green is NOT permanent,
Paris Blue and Prussian Blue are made with the same ingredients and are boarder line for permanency.
Chromium Green Oxide, is NOT permanent. Naples Yellow has lead, but is permanent.
Rose dore (I could not find anything on this one)
Vandyke Brown, for use in oils, will not only fade but crack and wrinkle as well. As I use oils I do not use this one.
My information is from an old artists handbook, (Ralph Mayer), so I may be out of date, but you asked.

bluochre
05-25-2001, 11:13 AM
jeff.....you might be interested in Richard Schmid's current palette: cad lemon,cad yell pale,cad yell deep,yell ochre light,cad red,terra rosa,aliz crimson,transp oxide red,viridian,cobalt bl light,ultm bl deep,tit white. his book, ALLA PRIMA, really develops this palette for the reader. this is a not to be missed section in the book.

------------------
"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams." W B Yeats

Luis Guerreiro
05-25-2001, 01:50 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for your comments on my palette.
Most appreciated.
I will be doing some changes very soon.
Luis