PDA

View Full Version : Good Books On Colour theory

Britishbrian
03-07-2001, 09:03 AM
Hi

I'm sure it's been asked before but...can anyone recommend a couple of good books on colour theory - even as far as scientific interpretation if necessary. looking to do some abstract pieces and would like a good understanding of why certain schemes work and the mood they create.

cheers
Brian

Britishbrian
03-07-2001, 03:28 PM
Hi Alva,

Cheers for the reply - I think I have a book by him already - and his name escapes me too. He presented the spectrum graphically with warm/cold on one axis and strong/weak on the other. He worked for Nippon - Yes?
I have his second book - very interesting in some of the schemes he chooses; I did wonder whether the Japanese interpretation of colour and mood was different to that in the West.
My one complaint is of the indexing - there's an index based on emotion i.e. schemes that give a mood of boldness, sporty etc. but another index that would be useful is one by colour identifying all the schemes in the book where that colour appears and the mood invoked i.e. want a bold scheme using red - the one you want may not be under the 9 schemes identified for that colour but may be hidden away on the yellow page.

Interesting all the same. I think there's a lot more science in art than most people give it credit for :-)

Cheers
Brian

Britishbrian
03-07-2001, 04:29 PM
Hi Alva,

{QUOTE}it was a pretty cool book. I thought it provided color combos that could make things simpler for people looking for combos they liked.[/QUOTE]
Indeed - a ton of 'em!

[QUOTE]Maybe you are your own answer though, and you have the answers already, and just need to decide?[QUOTE]

You sound like a buddhist :-)

[QUOTE] Of course, just focusing and reevaluating something you are deeply interested in, can lead to interesting stuff.[QUOTE]
Indeed! I think that's what I was eluding to when I mentioned art being scientific and measurable.

I've only just got into art - but I'm loving it - so much to learn & understand. Shame it doesn't pay for diddly ;-)

P.S. if the quoted stuff doesn't come out correctly - sorry - just trying to learn how to embed replies.

Cheers
brian

canvasishome
03-08-2001, 09:56 AM
Hi Britishbrian,

One of my favorite books on color theory is William F. Powell's "Color and How to Use It".

It is written in an easy to understand format and is crammed FULL of excellent examples and illustrations. The book is published by Walter Foster and is still in print.

Check it out, I think you'll like it.

-dk-

Britishbrian
03-09-2001, 09:37 AM
dk,

Thanks - I'll keep an eye out for it.

Cheers
Brian

MinneMark
03-14-2001, 06:28 PM
I have a book by MGJ Minnaert, translated and revised by Len Seymour, Springer Press. It's "Light and Color ing the Outdoors" ISBN 0-387-94413-3 for the softcover. It's a facinating, but somewhat technical explanation of hundreds of natural light phenomenon. He uses principles of optics / physics to explain these. It has 223 figures, 49 color plates and numerous B&W photos. It's not as artistic as I had hoped but it helps explain why and helps to build powers of observation.

Britishbrian
03-15-2001, 08:58 AM
Hi MinneMark

Sounds very interesting

Cheers
Brian

TPS
03-16-2001, 09:03 PM
A rather interesting book is "Creative Color" by Faber Birren. I have a paperback version published by Van Nostrand Reinhold. Much can be learned by study and practice of the methods explained. Hope you can find a copy.

------------------
http://www.artbydj.com

Britishbrian
03-22-2001, 09:36 AM
A rather interesting book is "Creative Color" by Faber Birren. I have a paperback version published by Van Nostrand Reinhold. Much can be learned by study and practice of the methods explained. Hope you can find a copy.

Cheers, between the lot recommended here I hope to find a lot to chew on. Thanks everyone.

Mario
03-23-2001, 10:27 AM
HOW TO SEE COLOR AND PAINT IT...by Arthur Stern...publisher Watson Guptill....this may be all you need if getting the right color spots is what your after....beautiful stuff

------------------
Painting the light reflecting from an object is different than painting the object

jhdvorsky
05-21-2001, 03:41 PM
The Color theroies of Kandinsky and Mcdonald-Wright where based on sound. They both have very interresting ideas. The Complete Writings on Art, Kandinsky. Hope this helps.

TPS
05-21-2001, 09:48 PM
Another color option is the Dudeen Color Triangle. Promoted by John Sloan in his book "Gist of Art" it's a practical guide to color mixing for the painter.

------------------
http://www.artbydj.com

mame
05-22-2001, 09:22 PM
1. Art of Color: the Subjective Experience & Objective Rationale of Color - Johannes Itten
ISBN 0471289280

2. Interaction of Color - Josef Albers
ISBN 0300018460

bluochre
05-25-2001, 10:54 AM
I have to write that Richard Schmid's "ALLA PRIMA Everything I Know About Painting" has the very best color theory/mixing info I have found. It might well duplicate some of the info from mentioned sources, however, Richard unleashes the mystery and provides us with some very real tasks to accomplish for our own benefit. Nothing beats this section of the book.

llis
12-01-2001, 09:24 AM
Let me add two that I am really enjoying....

"Painter's Guide to Color" by Stephen Quiller ISBN 0-8230-3913-7

And

"Harley Brown's eternal truths for every artist"
ISBN 1-020834-06-3 ---- he talks about using the Munsell color system with a few twists and turns.

Mario
12-09-2001, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by bluochre
I have to write that Richard Schmid's "ALLA PRIMA Everything I Know About Painting" has the very best color theory/mixing info I have found. It might well duplicate some of the info from mentioned sources, however, Richard unleashes the mystery and provides us with some very real tasks to accomplish for our own benefit. Nothing beats this section of the book.
Hi bloucher, since this book is so difficult to get, could you tell us something about the information in it that you found so helpfull? thanks

henrik
12-16-2001, 06:18 PM
There are several books intended primarily for graphics designers and interior decorators that does a very good job at showing connection with mood/color scheme and psychological connections.
One I like a lot is called "Colorist - a practical handbook for Personal and Professional Use" by Shigenobu Kobayashi. ISBN 4-7700-2323-5. It is a small pocket book for 18$. I got mine at borders.
Then there is a series called "Color Harmony" by Martha Gill. Published by rockport. I have several. Some nice photos. These books typically contain lots of color patches arranged in various schemes

henrik
12-16-2001, 06:20 PM
oh, and one of those rockport books comes with sofware so you can search for color patches, arrange your own schemes etc. The software wasn't all that fantastic and after playing with it a while I got tired of it. So, don't pay extra to get the software.

DebAnnWea
12-20-2001, 10:59 AM
I have the book that dk was talking about and there's another book that I've been wanting to get that is helpful is:

Art Class: A Guide To Painting
it's a chronicles book,but the author is Simon Jennings:)

Britishbrian
12-20-2001, 05:21 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for posting - compiled a great list - hopefully I'll be able to find a few of them :-)

Merry Chrimbo!

Cheers
Brian