PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher February 14 - 20

Pat Isaac
02-14-2005, 07:17 AM
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY
Good morning everyone! The days are getting longer and the sun is shining. Have some coffee and let's chat.

It's been fun to share our artwork, and now we have a place to get to know each other a little better, and share all that other interesting stuff that happens in our daily lives.

Tell us about yourself, your family (two or four-legged) and your ups and downs, or your in betweens.

The "Oil Gusher" is not the place to discuss politics, religion or our philosophies about life. WetCanvas provides both public and private chatrooms and a Debate forum for our members for this type of lengthy discussion. We want to make this a place for gentle camaraderie .

Please join us.
:) :) :)

artbyjune
02-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Where is everyone?

I wonder if this thread would be better back in the oil studio?? I couldn't find it for ages. And I see no-one's been here yet this week!!

What do you all think?

Ive been experimenting with oil paint monoprints...using oil pastels over the top. Now this was fun-- as the oil paint came out all raised up and textural. The oil pastels were used on top to define the image and change the background a bit. Then I got carried away and added watercolour too. It turned out pretty OK. But I haven't photographed it yet.

Has anyone else worked with oil pastel over oil paints?

I'm in the postcard exchange project so I am going to busy with that for a time to come, I see..

Pat Isaac
02-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Hi June,

Good to see you here. I have used OPs over pigment sticks which is oil paint. The only difference is the sticks dry faster. No problem. I also have done a monoprint with OPs and the result was great. However, monoprinting just isn't my form of expression, though the class I took was fun.

It was decided that the Oil Gusher should be in the talk threads with the other talk threads. It is possible that when it was moved not enough people saw the notice.

Come back and visit again.

Pat

CarlyHardy
02-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Hi June!! Hi Pat!!

Well, I'm ready for my upcoming show and have two paintings framed for my show in April :) Being ahead of time is nice!!

Next weekend Ann (ColorMyWorld) is coming to Atlanta and we're getting together to paint or just have fun :D I'm really looking forward to meeting her!!

I've sent in my registration for IAPS in Raleigh this year, too. Hoping to meet a lot of WC! pastelists there :D

carly

LynGrrr
02-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Where is everyone?

I wonder if this thread would be better back in the oil studio?? I couldn't find it for ages. And I see no-one's been here yet this week!!

What do you all think?

I agree with you. It is inconvenient to come here to look for this one thread and the oil pastel forum isn't so busy that it couldn't be over there. Losing the thread has seemed to suck some of the life out of the oil pastel forum, IMO.

Just curious, but why did it get moved anyway? If I remember correctly, the poll to move the thread ended up 11 to 6 against moving it.

Pat Isaac
02-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Good for you, Carly. It is always nice to be ahead of things. Hopefully, I will be able to do the same for my show in May. I still have a couple more pieces to do.
How exciting to meet with Ann.It is noce to meet people that you are in contact with a lot.
Several of my friends who are soft pastel artist friends went to the IAPS convention 2years ago( I think it was then, not last year) when it was in New Mexico. They went for a week so they could tour the area and paint. From the look of their pictures, they had a blast.
Welcome aboard, Lynda and hope to see you here.

Pat

BeckyMc
02-19-2005, 10:04 AM
From the poll results and the participation here, it would appear that the people who voted against the move are not participating and the people who voted for the move are barely involved, now that the thread has moved. :(

artbyjune
02-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Well, I vote we move it back again!! :clap:

BTW, Pat,
I really enjoyed the monoprinting (with oil paints and printing medium). Although I was doing it off my own bat as it were and may have done it all 'wrong'. But I really had fun with the unpredictability of the imagery. I think it gives great scope for coming up with new ideas.

maybe I will go ahead and do some more using watercolour as my base for the print and then OP over that.

:)

CM Neidhofer
02-19-2005, 01:52 PM
I'm still here too. I've been working a portrait to death in op's and have given up for a while. Just can't seem to get the colors right. I think I have too heavy a hand with the op's yet. So in the meantime, I've pretty much just been lurking and trying to get some insight into using my op's with a little more skill.

Pat Isaac
02-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Breaks are good sometimes to get us back in gear. While your lurking just drop by for a chat.... :D

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
02-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Would it help to have a link in the Oil Pastel Forum to the Gusher here - that way you don't have to fish around? I have my desktop icon set to come straight to the Pastel Forum and when it opens up, I see all the subforums in one place. When I am done with one forum, I just go here to maneauver around to another subforum:

WetCanvas! > Explore Media > Pastels >

I would really encourage everyone in the OP forum to venture out into WC - there are so many things happening and Projects to get involved in.

Pat Isaac
02-20-2005, 10:12 AM
How do you do that thing with the icon, Kat? What do you put on your desktop? I have to open my browser first and then go to my bookmarks. A link might work.

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
02-20-2005, 11:11 AM
Hi Pat: Open WC to here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

highlight the address in your web browser and drag to your desktop (this is called a shortcut) and whenever you click on it on your desktop it should open WC automatically right to the Pastel Forum, with all the subforums viewable.

Pat Isaac
02-20-2005, 02:28 PM
Thanks, Kat. It works!! :clap: Much easier.
Snow is returning to the area tonight and we are finally able to see some grass and I could use the gas grill the other day. It wasn't buried anymore. This should only be a moderate storm.......

Pat

artbyjune
02-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks Kat. I've got the short cut on my desk top now too!! :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
02-20-2005, 06:45 PM
hmmmm . . . maybe we could incorporate those instructions for the newbies somewhere. Let me give it some thought. :D