PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of a Friend

Sax87Tenor
02-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Hey, I started a new portrait about 2 or 3 days ago. It's for a really good friend of mine as a birthday gift.
Anyway, I did a pencil sketch, corrected it about 18 times, then couldn't decide if I wanted it black and white, spots of color, or full blown colored. So, I made a few photocopies on computer paper just to test stuff out. I ended up liking the colored one the most, and also, I remember that out of all my pieces she liked my pastels the most, so I decided to use pastels. So, I've attached the colored photocopy in pastels.
Also, I decided to try pastels on canvas, so I mixed up a deep purple, which I think goes well with her skin and hair, and also complements the drawing, as it's very vibrant (like her) so the dark creates a contrast. Anyway, I mixed that color with some alcohol and painted my canvas with horizontal and vertical lines. Then, I remember how I liked the different color bg that I tried out in my self-portrait, right where the face is is where I put the color, and I decided to do it for this. I painted a dark redish crimson (mixed with water instead of alcohol) right where her face will end up being.

Okay, so I've attached the toned canvas, and the colored sketch.
C&C please :D

Sax87Tenor
02-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Okay, I started waorking on the portrait on canvas. I must say, I don't really like the canvas. I feel like the pastels scrap each other off of it. Anyway, heres what I got. I like it, but I don't think I'll be using canvas again anytime soon, not for pastels at least.

Sax87Tenor
02-13-2005, 06:15 PM
Changed some stuff, like the mouth. Anyway, C&C is always welcome :D

Sax87Tenor
02-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Okay, sorry I'm updating so much, but I keep changing things. It's not like anyways commentg anyway, so, w/e.

I made the nose smaller, and raised the mouth. It looks a lot more like her now.

rjKing
02-14-2005, 01:09 AM
I like it! It has a very german expressionist feel to it..