PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of a Friend

Sax87Tenor
02-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Hey, I started a new portrait about 2 or 3 days ago. It's for a really good friend of mine as a birthday gift.
Anyway, I did a pencil sketch, corrected it about 18 times, then couldn't decide if I wanted it black and white, spots of color, or full blown colored. So, I made a few photocopies on computer paper just to test stuff out. I ended up liking the colored one the most, and also, I remember that out of all my pieces she liked my pastels the most, so I decided to use pastels. So, I've attached the colored photocopy in pastels.
Also, I decided to try pastels on canvas, so I mixed up a deep purple, which I think goes well with her skin and hair, and also complements the drawing, as it's very vibrant (like her) so the dark creates a contrast. Anyway, I mixed that color with some alcohol and painted my canvas with horizontal and vertical lines. Then, I remember how I liked the different color bg in my self-portrait, right where the face is, and I decided to do it for this. I painted a dark redish crimson (mixed with water instead of alcohol) right where her face will end up being.

Okay, so I've attached the toned canvas, and the colored sketch.
C&C please :D

Sax87Tenor
02-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Okay, I have to fix the mouth because I'm still not happy with it, but here's what I've got so far. I don't really like using pastels on canvas, and doubt I will again, but, I am happy with the result. So, here it is :)

C&C please :)

Sax87Tenor
02-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Changed some stuff on the face, the mouth for one.

BTW, this is on a square 10 by 10 canvas, and once again, I will probably never use pastel on canvas, I actually love the way it looks, but I feel like the pastel just scrapes away at itself. Also, it might be the pastels I'm using, BLICK Pastels. The cheapest ones ever, I wanna get a set of better ones, but have no cash :( Damn being a student and not having a job :mad:

Sax87Tenor
02-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Okay, sorry for continually changing this, no one is commenting anyway, so who really cares?

Anyway, I raised the mout and made the nose smaller because it looked too big to me.
This is what happens when I leave sketches and paintings and drawings out, I correct them 78964590 times.

laketrees
02-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Hey Ryan...sorry I missed your posts.....haven't been too well this week. :( .......
I think (like your self portrait) your original sketch said "POW" you sound worried about using the pastels....I use heaps of fixative if I'm using pastels....just MHO....it does make the surface shiny but I don't mind....
cheers kim

Sax87Tenor
02-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks Kim, btw, that's possibly the best compliment I've ever gotten, that my drawing says, "Pow!" But, here's what happened with this one. I've never used pastels on acrylics before, NOT a good idea, i love the look, but it's very hard to cover up the surface, which is where that darkness came in. Also, the sketch IS pastels, I love them, I feel very confident with them, but on paper, not on acrylic covered canvas. Also, it's a bad picture. I know, I know, this sounds like a bunch of excuses, but, if you're ever in NY, I'd be glad to show it to you in real life, I think you'd see a dif.

Once again, thanks for the compliment though :) :D

laketrees
02-18-2005, 03:30 AM
Hey Ryan.....if ya ever in ozzie drop in...he he ....yr got a great sense of humour and that's what makes a real artist (as well as being able to speak the whole truth....etc etc.)...IMHO of course..... cause us artists are also verrrry humble) LOL
Cheers again.....Ryan.....BTW....have finished my series....has taken the moooost outta me .....and yr right... :evil: still didn't fix that bloody eye....lol :eek: :eek: :eek: