PDA

View Full Version : Three Graces

sampo
02-13-2005, 05:29 AM
Hi!

This is my biggest canvas since now: 130 x 130 cm

First the linedrawing then the darkest (black) background with acrylics.

Then the first very thin layer in oils (burnt umbra).

sampo
02-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Here is the next stage from last night. I painted rest of the background with oils. Notice that the "frames" are still not painted. I let the painting dry a few days and then I am going to paint the frames including the four sides of the canvas which is about 5cm ()2 inch thick.

Quiet
02-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Wow! Thank you for sharing your process. Are you working from a model and/or photographs?

Are the three graces the same as the three fates? I can't remember. . .

sampo
02-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Hi Quiet!

I took some reference photos of the model in very simple lighting. Then I combined the photos with Photoshop. I use both photoshop sketch and a live model as reference during the process.

The name of the work in Finnish is "Kohtalottaret" which actually is "Fates" or something like that in English. I was not sure about the translation so I used the title "Three Graces" here.

sampo
02-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Here is an anlargement of two hands and one with the hand holding scissors. Actually the painting is almost life size and I love to paint such a large painting because I can do it more freely and with quite big brushes.

Quiet
02-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Life-sized? Yowzer!

Keep going! This is a great demo, and a lovely painting.

Iím considering picking up oils again eventually. I currently paint in acrylics, and Iíve never tried mixing the two. Have you found them to be a good match? What sort of experience have you had with combining oils and acrylics? Thanks!

sampo
02-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Actually this is the first one where I am using both acrlylics and oils. It is important to keep in mind that acrylic paint dries MUCH faster than oils. For that reason you should never paint acrylics on oils but wice-versa. So if you want start by underpainting with acrylics and then move on to oils. I used black acrylics here because it is faster to spread on canvas and is not transparent.

Quiet
02-14-2005, 03:55 PM
;-) I know - acrylics should never go on top of oils,and the acrylics should be bone-dry before the oils are used.

Well, keep me posted! I would love to know how the mix of the two paints works out for you.

Frida200
02-19-2005, 08:01 AM
Aaaaaahhh!!!

I have not seen been here much before, always forget the new WIP thread... slow brain, LOL.

But I love this!!!
It is so good.
Wow.

I love that she is there three times, but interacting with her other selfs.
Makes sense?

It's really really really well painted.

I know I could just wait and watch, but I am curious...
are you planning to leave the palette mostly as it is, or will colors move in?
This has a lot of atmosphere.

Life size, I can imagine this is much fun to paint.

I have also just started to combine oil and acrylics (but by far not as good as this!!! LOL), and I think it works great. Also nice to use the glossy vs. matte-effect.

I'll be here more often now, I almost missed this, can't believe.

Great!

boy3696
02-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Absolutely Amazing, and being a newbie at all this stuff, I was just taught yet another thing. "You can use both acrylics and oils as long as you use the acrylics first being such that it dries much quicker."
Thanks for sharing that sampo, it gave me inspiration.
Cheers.
Dan.

Grasshopper
02-21-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm so pleased with being able to see the wips to this, from the drawing on up. It's an absolutely wonderful job you've done so far.

katelynalain
02-21-2005, 02:29 PM
wow! i almost missed this too.. looking great so far. i like how the elbow extends beyond the frame. adds to the dimension. cant wait to see your progress. looks wonderful even at this point.

aaasp
02-22-2005, 03:45 AM
I agree with everybody :) The scissors and their shadow is a nice touch.

sampo
02-23-2005, 07:39 AM
Thanks for your comments so far. Here is another wip image where I have just painted the frames.

Frida: I have started with very limited colors (only burnt umbra for the skin) but I think the palette is already quite close to the final palette.

shirleyq
02-23-2005, 07:47 AM
This has been a great demonstration. The anatomy is perfect :) How long have you studied and who did you study with?

Esmeralinda
02-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Beautiful work! Very talented, you are.
Your avatar picture is also very nice.
Linda :)

Gilberte
02-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Very classy work ! very, very, very ...

katelynalain
02-23-2005, 11:48 AM
lookin good! what's the next step? ..hurry, hurry,..ok take your time. Q: what kind of white are you using?

sampo
09-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Ok katelynalain, I took my time. :)
It is almost ready now. The painting was already in a small exhibition but I still have some work to do.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2005/56931-kohtalottaret6.jpg

Gilberte
09-22-2005, 12:20 PM
What a treat to see this thread pop up again and I suppose all the subscribers think the same way !
So beautiful, so serene ...

gaugin
09-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Thank you so much for sharing this work.
This being the first I've seen it, excuse me if I repeat others comments.
But the WIP was wonderful to see, your technique is masterful.
And the concept, is first rate. Very creative and engaging.

siraven
09-23-2005, 02:55 PM
it's beautiful... i'm awestruck on the perception and definition of the 3 figures. i

sampo
09-26-2005, 04:10 AM
Thank you very much for your comments so far.
I had an exhibition in my hometown Oulu a couple of weeks ago. The response was very good. It seems that this kind of classic art is so rare these days. The art world is quite "modern" at least in Oulu and the audience seems to be pleased to see something they can understand for a change.

Gilberte
09-26-2005, 08:21 AM
quote ...
and the audience seems to be pleased to see something they can understand for a change.
unquote.

Yes, I bet they were pleased ... and one of my favorite local artists works this way also. If you'd care to have a look here's the link :
click here (http://www.eddystevens.be)

sampo
09-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Wow, beutiful works by Mr. Stevens. Thanks for the link. His art seems to be a mixture of Nerdrum and Sandorfi.

flurpy
09-27-2005, 11:36 AM
This is marvellous.
Thanks for sharing it with us as a WIP.

Bob Rooney
02-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Nice work.

flurpy
02-10-2006, 12:03 AM
I must confess I often revisit this thread as I find it truly inspiring to see there are still people out there that know how to paint.
It is so much in contrast with the quick art that floods the galleries and museums.

Sampo, I also fully share your sentiments expressed. Your painting is a jewel gracing any room it will hang in, and not just a quick pic decoration.

Very well done.

Pene
02-10-2006, 05:23 PM
A beautiful study of the human form. What a talent you are.

N2Fun
02-19-2006, 09:27 PM
I don't know which I'm more in awe of.....your painting ability or your wonderfully imaginative composition. Wonderful!

Likestodraw
02-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Really nice work! I like the depth and value you've painted... I enjoyed your site too.

Corby
02-26-2006, 02:33 AM
Not only masterful in execution, but marvelously conceived! The light and shadow are astonishing. Hope you share some more with us!

Constellation
02-26-2006, 10:20 AM
I am overcome with the beauty of your painting.... it is overwhelming to see such perfection in the chaos, and sometimes ugliness, of today's art work. Thank you so much for sharing your talent and this beautiful painting with us. Donna