PDA

View Full Version : color "Recipes"

vance
03-17-2001, 07:30 AM
Hi all.

As a beginner (with oil paint medium), I find it extremely helpful to have recipes for mixing colors for various subjects. Helen Van Wyk, an artist and teacher whom I admire very much published a couple of books entitled "Helen Van Wyk's Color recipes" that provide specific recipes for the five tonal values of a variety of subject (i.e. basic tone, highlight, shadow, reflection, and cast shadow).

My question is, are there any other resources out there that give instructions on how to mix colors for specific subjects?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Vance

Deborah Nelson
03-19-2001, 02:58 PM
Hi Vance,

I finally started to achieve more subtle tones and wonderful glazes by finding and using a number of excellent recipe books.

My favorites (in addition to all the Van Wyk books) are:
COLOR MIXING RECIPE CARDS FOR OILS & ACRYLICS
By William F. Powell
Walter Foster publishing

THE OIL PAINTERS POCKET PALETTE
By Rosalind Cuthbert
North Light Books publishing

THE FLOWER PAINTERS POCKET PALETTE
By Elisabeth Harden
Chartwell Books, Inc. publishing

BARRON'S ART HANDBOOKS MIXING COLORS 2. Oil
BARRON'S publishing

THE PORTRAIT PAINTER'S POCKET PALETTE
By Ian Sidaway
chartwell Books, Inc. publishing

Hope this helps.

Deborah Nelson http://home.earthlink.net/~nelsonsata/

------------------
Deborah Nelson

vance
03-19-2001, 07:46 PM
Thank you very much Deborah..I am definitely going to check these out!

Vance

------------------
"Now I shall put my cluttered house in order..and seek a half remembered path again- to race the slant of shadows and redeem the pattern of a torn and scattered dream" - my grandmother, Margaret Goodwyn

NATARTISTS
03-24-2001, 05:35 PM
I too look to Helen VanWyk for her mastery in color and painting. i think i have everyone of her books in Publication at this time.

NATARTISTS
03-24-2001, 05:36 PM
I too look to Helen VanWyk for her mastery in color and painting. i think i have everyone of her books in Publication at this time.

skjacobs
03-28-2001, 11:32 PM
Don't know whether they are beneficial or not but Art Supply Warehouse (ASW) http://www.aswexpress.com does sell what they call Color Mixing Cards for around $7.00. IF I remember correctly they are supposed to contain "recipes" and pictures for around 450 colors.
Hope that helps!
Charles