PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new here, need some suggestions

gouligann
02-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Hi, What a wonderful site wetcanvas is!
I have been dabbling around with acrylics for about 3 years now, and need some suggestions for this painting. I know I need a couple of trees/shrubs added to the right and left edges (too clumped up and too empty on sides)
The main problem I am having is getting the streets to appear wet. I know now is a poor time to fix this problem since I've already done the woman, but when I first did the pavement, it appeared ok until she was done. I have redone the street twice since I painted her, so I know I can repaint the pavement in whatever is suggested. I'll just have to be very careful when I am painting close to her.
All suggestions are welcome.

minihorse
02-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Hi : Very nice job on the clothing folds and shadows. I'm disturbed by the large amount of boring same color pavement and that attention grabbing right angle in the sidewalk. Have you considered cropping off some of the left side? I held a piece of paper against the screen so that the right angle was covered and Bingo! - my attention goes right to the woman, with the remainder of the sidewalk framing her nicely on 2 sides.
Kathi

gouligann
02-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi Minihorse, thanks for your suggestion. I agree that the steets are just too grey and plain. The photo I took this off of didn't have much of the street showing to the left of her. I will add some black on the left hand side of the page to bring more attention onto the woman. In another part of this site, it was suggested that my street behind her is much too wide, and to bring it forward. I think that will also make quite a difference in the dimensions. I'm so glad I found this site and thanks to you and others, I can improve and learn so much. I'm doing a different painting right now, but when I get back to this one, I will post the changes. ( I had just lost interest in my frustrations with this picture) Now I look forward to changing it. thanks again,
Gouligann

VanArt
02-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Hi. I am pretty new to Wc too but I may be able to offer a suggestion for you. Well, the reflection directly beneath the figure was done quite well. Water reflects color of everything surrounding. I would try to tie in the colors of the jacket and surroundings into the sidewalk pavement just like you did in the first block of pavement. Great effort so far. :wave:

gouligann
02-12-2005, 07:32 AM
Gilbert, your suggestion is a good one. I will work on that after I am satisfied with the pavement on the street.
Thank you so much for your reply.
I'm back to the drawing board and glad to have some fresh ideas to work on.
-----Gouligann-----

gouligann
02-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Hi, well so far, I'm just not sure what I think of this revised attempt. I like the background so much better now. I brought the street forward, added a sidewalk and more folliage.
Not sure about the puddles in the foreground. are they too big or just not the right shape or composition?

any comments are welcome...
Gouligann

Mikey
02-27-2005, 06:49 PM
This is so much more of a painting now. Can I suggest a little more dark reflection under her right foot.

Mikey

gouligann
03-03-2005, 06:48 AM
Hi Mikey, thanks for your reply. I haven't been to look in here for a while so I just read your post this morning. The painting is now sealed and unfortunately I can't add anything else to it. This was a most frustrating picture for me. I took this picture from our local newspaper (in black and white) and it didn't have much street and the background was so blurred that I couldn't get anything out of it either. I just liked the woman and the way her coat was wrapped around her. I thought she would be a real challenge to paint, but she wasn't too hard, and I had fun painting her. What I thought would be the easy parts, ended up to be the hardest. I looked at so many pictures on the internet of puddles and wet streets but ended up just looking at the wet pavement around here and trying my best to duplicate it. I don't think I'll paint puddles or a wet street again for a while, if ever LOL.... too difficult.
Any way, I am babbling. Again, thankyou for your time and suggestion.
Wet canvas is a great site!!! I'm hooked on it.

Mikey
03-03-2005, 07:07 AM
I suggsted the darker reflection to fix the woman to the pavement a bit more. Apart from that its soft difficult lighting, so I suggest move on now.

Mikey

WRoget
03-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Pavement has texture - little pits that are blacker than the surrounding blacktop, and little bits that catch a highlight especially when wet -

add some texture to the pavement - and of course, soft edges farther away, harder edges up close

be careful not to distract from the figure of course - keep the texture - the shadows and highlights close to the value of the pavement.

LisaArt
03-13-2005, 04:17 AM
You have received already some great tips. I just wanted to say that it is looking great!

Anita Murphy
03-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Makes me shiver just looking at this. Think you have made great strides with this work. I agree with WRoget the pavement would not be so even. Keep at it and lets see the next stage/finished result!
KA