PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

hayley3
01-20-2001, 09:01 AM
I am trying to learn oil painting on my own. My problem is mixing the paints. If I mix the colors with a brush, I get this glob of paint on my brush, that I can't get it off and then my paintbrush is full of paint. I tried using a small knife to mix the paint, and then I wind up using my brush again to get the paint off of that. I'm using freezer paper for a palette.
I'm using the water mixable paints from Grumbacher (I don't know if that makes a difference). I'm used to acrylic paint and oil is so much thicker. Do I need to always mix the paint with a medium?
I feel like I'm wasting a lot of paint.
If anyone could recommend a good book or video, or any advice at all would be appreciated.
Thanks so much!

------------------
Susie

beauxman
01-20-2001, 10:26 AM
May we move this to the oil painting forum?

hayley3
01-20-2001, 02:41 PM
No, I wasn't using any medium. I was a little unsure about when I was supposed to use it. I've read so much, I got myself confused. Thanks so much for responding! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Susie

hayley3
01-21-2001, 12:47 AM
Sorry. I assumed that this was the most appropriate category.

------------------
Susie

bruin70
01-21-2001, 12:53 AM
are you using any medium,,,linseed oil, copal medium etc, along with your paints? it sounds like you're not. if you just mix paint out of the tube, it's like trying to mix cement.....{M}

------------------
"it's alright to be judgmental,,,,,,,,if you have taste"...MILT

Dudi
01-23-2001, 12:07 AM
Hehe! I have this problem too! What I did as a workaround was to purchase an additional paint knife to mix with. I mix paint with the knife (it can be a pain to thoroughly mix with a knife - or at least for me - but I prefer to spend more time mixing than wasting my expensive paint) and scrape off the paint from the knife with my other knife.

There might still be a little chunk of paint left on the knife, but it should be better than the brush. To avoid feeling wasteful, I usually lick off my knife so I get a little tasty cadmium snack. (Just kidding, don't do this!)

kayemme
02-24-2001, 02:27 PM
have you tried not dunking your brush into the blob of paint http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

take the tip of your brush, apply it gently to the edge of the blob, press down and pull out so that you get a thin layer of paint on your brush.

if you get too much paint on the brush, brush some of it out on your palette.

use medium of some sort, even if only a little thinner http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif it's nearly impossible to push around some of the denser paints (if they're older [and i don't mean from when you bought them, but from when the place that you bought them bought them] they lose some of the oil vehicle AND some brands use less oil and cheaper oil or more filler which can make a worldly difference when you open your tube)

good luck
k

Sandi
02-24-2001, 02:45 PM
I love waterbased oil paints for alla prima palette knife painting, straight from the tube. But even then I have to mix my colors on the palette first. I usually use the knives for that, as Dudi already suggested.
I've noticed the paints react differently with the humidy and room temperatures too. Has anyone else noticed that?