PDA

View Full Version : Color changes in the kiln

zim
02-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Has anyone ever had beads change color in the kiln?
I mixed Moretti pastel pink and Moretti clear rods on Saturday, trying to get a pretty, pink-milky color. The beads came out great. I put them in the kiln to anneal Sunday morning, then made some more later that day that I haven't annealed yet. The ones that were in the kiln definately changed color-they are kinda washed-out now, not nearly as pink. More towards white. I am so discouraged- I really loved the effect of the 2 rods together.
The organic ones I made Saturday did not change, only the pink ones.
Has anyone else ever have this happen? Anything I can do to avoid it?
:crying: :crying: :crying:
Thanks for any help,
Donna

scupltorgirl
02-07-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear that your pink changed. That's sad.

Did your organics have a lot of silver in them? I ask because in my last batch-anneal, I had a LOT of silver and silvered stuff, and my opalinos (green and pink, separate beads, no silver on, in, or near them) both went more whitish-opaque than they ever have before. I usually don't use anywhere near the amount of silver and silvered stuff that I did in that kiln load, so I'm suspecting the silver.

It will be informative to read what other people have experienced.

Let's hope someone can give you a definitive answer!

--Terri

zim
02-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Hmmm, yes, my organics did have alot of silver foil in them. I wonder if that could have something to do with it though cause the pink ones didn't... I will anneal the ones that I made Sunday tomorrow night and not put anything else in the kiln with them and see what they do. I really am disapointed because they came out so nice, exactly what I wanted...I made more on Sunday just so I could get 2 the same size for earrings.

I had noticed some changes in color before this weekend on a few beads here and there, not always with the same colors, but until now I wasn't sure if I was just imagining it because I didn't have any that I didn't anneal to compare them to.

Wish I could just make them and not anneal them!!!!!!! I know, I know, I won't! :eek:

Donna

jessicah
02-07-2005, 09:46 PM
I've noticed a lot of Bullseye glass changes colour in the kiln. Some subtle, some not so subtle. Also the Lauscha Iceberg and Pink go in translucent and come out opaque. I was so hoping the iceberg wouldn't change, it looked so cool before being annealed.