PDA

View Full Version : Winsor & Newton, Artists, oil paint. How TOXIC is the fumes?


kevindamen
02-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Hello I have been painting with Winsor and Newton Artists oil Paint, and i have found that it can take up to a week or more for my paintings to fully dry.

so i am wondering about the fumes, are they toxic? and how toxic are they?

also is there anyway to speed up the drying....
using a space heater?
putting them outside to freeze (Canada very cold today)


right now they are being stored in a storage closet that has no ventalation. I plan to purchase a air purifier to remove the paint fumes from the air. But do to the completity of air purifiers i have yet to find a model that i realy think is worth the money. looking for something to do 1000 - 3000 square feet, for paint fumes, cat hair, dust, etc....

turlogh
02-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Oil paints don't contain any ingredients that produce toxic fumes. Don't eat or inject them, and you will be just fine.

kevindamen
02-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Really so smelling them while the painting is drying is not harmfull to ones health?

Paul Corfield
02-07-2005, 01:39 PM
The paint is suspended in oil and as far as I know oil doesn't give off any harmful fumes. Using thinners etc to thin the paint will give off fumes but they evaporate out quite quickly, it's just the oil that slows down the drying. If the drying is a problem then try Windsor & Newton Alkyds which are a much faster drying oil. I love them and they dry overnight.

Paul.

WFMartin
02-07-2005, 01:46 PM
As far as I know, Winsor & Newton's oil paints have as a binder, a combination of linseed oil and safflower oil, both of which are not only non-toxic, they are edible substances. You certainly won't get any toxic fumes off those paints.

Bill

artbabe21
02-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Are you sure it's not fumes from turps you are smelling? What do you use? :confused: What about mediums?

I am sensitive to odors so recently added Graham's alkyd quick dry medium & it dries in a day & a half, many times the next day (it has no odor & is non flammable). Wonder if you are sensitive to odors as well as I do smell a slight odor from my paints when wet, though I have never found it objectionable.

Greg Long
02-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Non toxic unless eaten (some are marked as harmful if ingested)
Liquin, oleopasto alkyd gel etc. will all speed drying times, There are stickies for this info some where, I'll route one out and edit with a link.

Painting Mediums
And here is an important thread about mediums that I want to include here http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/sho...hlight=palettes

Liquin
Commonly asked-about alkyd painting medium (and is it fat? or lean?)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233711
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214646

dcorc
02-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Fumes from drying oilpaint are not toxic - however, you should have some ventilation - forget about air purifiers, open some windows!

Dave

Eugene Veszely
02-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Fumes from drying oilpaint are not toxic - however, you should have some ventilation - forget about air purifiers, open some windows!

Dave


How about fumes from the solvents/mediums ?? ;)

dcorc
02-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Wasn't asked about solvents, Eugene ;)

We're not told what solvents (if any) or mediums (if any), the person asking the question uses - we were asked specifically whether the fumes from the paint are toxic - and the answer's no.

Issues to do with solvents are mentioned by others, above.

I've always advocated use of Mineral Spirits - and preferably Odourless Mineral Spirits - in preference to Turpentine, as less vapours (which are also less hazardous) are produced by OMS than by MS, and by MS than by Turpentine (which is only necessary as a solvent for damar resin). The keys to safe usage of solvents is minimising exposure, and adequate ventilation (meaning several changes of room air per hour).

Dave

Eugene Veszely
02-08-2005, 08:38 AM
I knew you'd say that!! ;)

Keith2
02-08-2005, 09:26 AM
To get oil paints to dry more quickly, use a quick drying medium such as liquin or wingel.

I prefer to use alkyd paints rather than oils - they are similar to oils but usually dry overnight.

kevindamen
02-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Ok thankyou, I have now decided to stop putting them in a poorly vented closet to dry and instead simply hang them on the walls in rooms of the house where i can leave the windows open for most of the day.

I think i will still look into a air purifier, but since they are not far better ventalated, its less of a priority.

as for solvents... I am using "Wallack's Odourless solvent" which i am beginning to think is a bad idea from the large "DANGER: FATAL IF SWALLOWED" label....

so I'll look up the best odourless solvent "thread"

once again thankyou all.

:)

also: dose anyone know a good Liquid white non non-bob ross... that can be ordered in large quanitys or a good thread on it?

Einion
02-08-2005, 02:58 PM
also is there anyway to speed up the drying....
using a space heater?
putting them outside to freeze (Canada very cold today)
Oil paints 'dry' largely by oxidation and an increase in temperature will speed the reaction so warmer is better than colder. Freezing will almost cease the drying so you don't want to do that - many members store unused paint for the next painting session in their freezers for this reason.

Ok thankyou, I have now decided to stop putting them in a poorly vented closet to dry and instead simply hang them on the walls in rooms of the house where i can leave the windows open for most of the day.
High up on a wall would be a good idea if that's possible, helps minimise dust.

I think i will still look into a air purifier, but since they are not far better ventalated, its less of a priority.
Invest in a good ventilation fan, it would be a far better use of the money (and I'm sure would be a lot cheaper).

as for solvents... I am using "Wallack's Odourless solvent" which i am beginning to think is a bad idea from the large "DANGER: FATAL IF SWALLOWED" label....
All solvents suitable for oil painting are dangerous by ingestion, you won't find anything that would be drinkable ;)

Einion

Paul Corfield
02-08-2005, 03:12 PM
You would need to drink around two pints of zest-it before it becomes fatal according to their website. ;)

Paul.