PDA

View Full Version : Hair

GeraldineNesbitt
12-02-2001, 05:11 PM
I am about to start a pastel portrait of two children and would like info on how best to depict the highlights in blonde hair please.

MarshaSavage
12-03-2001, 07:36 AM
Geraldine -

Highlights on anything are all about the contrast with what it is on - blonde hair being harder maybe. I have blond hair, but if you look at it closely, there are many dark blond sections. Keep in mind that the hair will be darker blonde, most places, saving your highlight or lighted side for the lightest blonde strands of hair. I have used some darker grayed down yellow ochre for golden blondes for the shadowed areas and then use the pale yellows and pale ochres for the highlights. I have even used a bit of burnt orange pale in the hair and some of the lighter olives for shadow areas. Don't forget you could maybe use some of the dark maroons in areas that receive not much light at all.

I know this is not a whole lot of help, but maybe some. Blonde hair may be golden, may be champaign, may be a pale color, so you just have to decide what the darker parts will be. Then highlight!

Good luck - let us see it when you get some of it done!

Marsha --
Marsha Hamby Savage Art (http://marshasavage.artistnation.com)

joemajury
12-03-2001, 07:22 PM
I would normally use only about 3 colours doing hair, the darkest, the lightest, and something in between, and just layer it up, layer upon layer, and a pastel pencil for any fine detail lines at the edging

Joe
;) ;)

MarshaSavage
12-04-2001, 07:45 AM
Joe,
good advice about only using 3 colors - dark, light, and medium. Limiting your palette is a good exercise and a good strategy for not working a painting to death! I did not mean to infer use all the colors I mentioned in one painting -- just that there are different colors to think of for blond hair - not just the obvious ones.

I tried to access your web site and got an error message - page not found. Is there a problem?

Marsha --
Marsha Hamby Savage Art (http://marshasavage.artistnation.com)