PDA

View Full Version : shadows, shadows and more shadows

catherina
02-06-2005, 03:28 AM
I am new to drawing and painting and this is my first attempt to paint my dog (oil paint). I paint it from a photograph taken some three years ago- she was sitting on the beach, watching the waves and the birds. I would like some advise on the shadow, please- it feels too dark. I tried paynes grey first, but it was too blue and then I paint it wit lamp black, but it still doesn't feel right :confused: Should I use another color or how do I make it look more like a shadow? Any advise will be greatly appreciated :D Thanks

LisaArt
02-06-2005, 03:33 AM
Hi Catherina, The dog is delightful, so darn cute. Very well painted. The beach and sand are too. You did a great job!
Your shadow is good but to hard around the edges. You need to soften them up, and extend it a bit more. Do you know what i mean?
If it was really sunny out and the sun was in that setting, then I can see the shadow being that dark. The darkness doesnt bother me..
I think the best for getting a grey is try mising some blue (prussian blue I like) with some burnt sienna or burnt umber then just add some white to see how light you want to go. :wave:

Gilberte
02-06-2005, 01:08 PM
ditto what Lisa said about the shadow, especially as to softening the edges ...

catherina
02-07-2005, 05:19 AM
Hi Lisa and Gilberte

Thank you so much for the advise- I really appreciate it. I took out the shadow and painted it again - is this better or is it still too well defined? Should I extend it more-make it longer or broader? The colour feels much better- I never thought one could use white to lighten a shadow colour-thought it would make it too "milky." WC is a great place to learn :)

LisaArt
02-07-2005, 05:30 AM
Catherina, It looks much better. Bravo. more soft and brighter. :clap:
I think it is good the way it is is. I would not go bigger. I dont know if you are working from a reference picture so I am not sure where the sun is coming from and what time.

dcorc
02-07-2005, 05:52 AM
much better - shadows are hardest-edged when they are closest to the object - as they get further away they tend to get softer edged (unless there is a point source of light, and no scattering of the light)

dave

catherina
02-07-2005, 07:06 AM
Thanks Lisa, I worked from a photo, but on the photo the shadow is very dark, but I preferred it the way it is now. The sun was coming from the right side of the dog.
Thanks Dave, that make sense. I will remember it in future.

I am pleased with the way the painting turned out, thanks for the input :D

Gilberte
02-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Great improvement. As it is now the dog gets all the attention and the overall scenery is not distracted by the strong shadow.
Well done !!!!!!!!!

catherina
02-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks Gilberte, I see what you mean- I feel good about it now. :D